C63/C63S AMG
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2019 C63s coming off lease. Buy and keep, or swap for GLEc63s or wait for SL?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2022, 11:44 AM
asc

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts
2023 E63s
2019 C63s coming off lease. Buy and keep, or swap for GLEc63s or wait for SL?

What the title says. I have a pearl white 2019 C63s, carbon package and trim, lots of interior options. I love it. About 9k miles. But it's coming off lease so I have to decide what to do. I want a v8 and I have zero interest in a hybrid with a smaller engine. So the C class is out. I had ordered an E63s 10 months ago but they're still not building them right now. So I can buy and keep my C, or buy and swap for a 2022 GLEc63s, which has the M177 v8, and would be highly optioned in obsidian black, night package, carbon brakes, etc. Or I can keep the C63s and hold out for an SL. I'd like 4matic after not having it for the last 3 years, and both the GLEc63s and the SL have it, but they're obviously very different beasts. I'm in NY so winter is a real thing. What do you all think? Thanks!
Old 07-03-2022, 12:59 PM

Received 121 Likes on 109 Posts
C63 Vert
I think I would consider keeping the C. I'm not a fortune teller but I'd imagine the C63 may hold its value.
Old 07-03-2022, 01:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,945 Likes on 2,633 Posts
2019 C63CS
With so little mileage sounds like it's mostly a weekend car. Why would you wanna replace it with an elephant like the GLE? That's a soccer mom van. Not the most exciting thing to drive. The GLE has the torque converter TCT transmission and not the MCT, and mild hybrid. The SL would make more sense. Also, you should have a pretty good amount of equity given the mileage, so first thing would be to find out what a dealer would give you in a trade. Last thing you wanna do is to just hand it back. I know you said you want 4-matic, but for me the great thing about the C63 is the RWD part. It's a hooligan of a car. I attended the AMG Performance Training at the Nürburgring this past Monday. Drove the A45S, EQS 53, GT 63 S, GT 63 S E Performance, GT BS and the C63 S coupe. Would not replace my C63 for any of them for the road. The BS was obviously unbeatable on the track, but not something I'd want for the road. The GT 63 S did well on the track, didn't like the E Performance, but these are all big heavy cars. They had a fleet of SL 63 there for another event, so didn't get to drive it, but was allowed to sit in it. Didn't do much for me. Kinda cramped to be honest despite having rear seats. Convertibles for me would be a second or third car though for nice warm weekends.
The following users liked this post:
asc (07-04-2022)
Old 07-03-2022, 02:14 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3,992 Likes on 3,138 Posts
2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Can’t believe a NY car doesn’t have 4MATIC.

The GLC is a much larger vehicle, why didn’t you choose it in the first place?

GLC63 is well known for crabbing. Read the posts on this site. It may or may not bother you. The M177 seems to so far have avoided fatal issues of the other V8s such as head bolts, soft cams, timing chains, valve guides and cylinder scuffing. Having said that, not many M177s have achieved high mileage yet, so the jury remains out.

Caveat emptor with German V8s out of warranty, if that is your intent.
Old 07-04-2022, 08:36 AM
asc

2023 E63s
Originally Posted by superswiss
With so little mileage sounds like it's mostly a weekend car. Why would you wanna replace it with an elephant like the GLE? That's a soccer mom van. Not the most exciting thing to drive. The GLE has the torque converter TCT transmission and not the MCT, and mild hybrid. The SL would make more sense. Also, you should have a pretty good amount of equity given the mileage, so first thing would be to find out what a dealer would give you in a trade. Last thing you wanna do is to just hand it back. I know you said you want 4-matic, but for me the great thing about the C63 is the RWD part. It's a hooligan of a car. I attended the AMG Performance Training at the Nürburgring this past Monday. Drove the A45S, EQS 53, GT 63 S, GT 63 S E Performance, GT BS and the C63 S coupe. Would not replace my C63 for any of them for the road. The BS was obviously unbeatable on the track, but not something I'd want for the road. The GT 63 S did well on the track, didn't like the E Performance, but these are all big heavy cars. They had a fleet of SL 63 there for another event, so didn't get to drive it, but was allowed to sit in it. Didn't do much for me. Kinda cramped to be honest despite having rear seats. Convertibles for me would be a second or third car though for nice warm weekends.
Thanks, I read your post, very enlightening. My C63s isn't a weekend car, I just don't go very far most of the time! And during covid we were trapped home more, so lower mileage. I agree that thr GLEc63s will likely feel like an elephant, but I won't know for sure until I drive it. My only concerns with keeping the C is lack of 4matic for snowy winters (I can do OK with winter tires if I stay local and careful, but it's not really useful in actual winter conditions) and I'd have to figure out the warranty to avoid issues. As for equity, there's about 10k in it now. So if I trade back to dealer after buying off lease it would offset most of the asinine markup they're charging over msrp on every car right now...

In a perfect world I'd hold off until they build the E63s I ordered a year ago and then swap for that. But who knows if they'll ever build it...
Old 07-04-2022, 08:39 AM
asc

2023 E63s
Originally Posted by chassis
Can’t believe a NY car doesn’t have 4MATIC.

The GLC is a much larger vehicle, why didn’t you choose it in the first place?

GLC63 is well known for crabbing. Read the posts on this site. It may or may not bother you. The M177 seems to so far have avoided fatal issues of the other V8s such as head bolts, soft cams, timing chains, valve guides and cylinder scuffing. Having said that, not many M177s have achieved high mileage yet, so the jury remains out.

Caveat emptor with German V8s out of warranty, if that is your intent.

They just didn't put 4matic in the c63s, sadly. And I'd be considering the GLEc63s, not the GLC. Still a larger vehicle, but Ive not heard anything about crabbing with it?

And I doubt I'd ever get close to 50k miles on any car... I'd get bored and trade it first. Were you thinking more or less than that for high mileage? Thanks.
chassis (07-04-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 09:01 AM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by asc
They just didn't put 4matic in the c63s, sadly. And I'd be considering the GLEc63s, not the GLC. Still a larger vehicle, but Ive not heard anything about crabbing with it?

And I doubt I'd ever get close to 50k miles on any car... I'd get bored and trade it first. Were you thinking more or less than that for high mileage? Thanks.
OK the non-standard nomenclature threw me. No "c" in the model designation. GLC is well known for crabbing. Not the GLE.

The GLE and C are miles apart in size. Is there a reason for the larger vehicle? Kids/growing family? Do you have space, located in NYC as you are, to park the much larger GLE? Does fuel consumption factor into your decision?

A GLE with 4MATIC is a no-brainer in the northeast, it is a poor road and bad conditions driving machine. The M177 seems to be avoiding (so far) the aging problems of its predecessors (head bolts, soft cams, valve guides, cylinder scoring, oil in the harness, etc.). But the mileage on M177 is not high yet for any model.
Old 07-04-2022, 09:12 AM
asc

2023 E63s
Originally Posted by chassis
OK the non-standard nomenclature threw me. No "c" in the model designation. GLC is well known for crabbing. Not the GLE.

The GLE and C are miles apart in size. Is there a reason for the larger vehicle? Kids/growing family? Do you have space, located in NYC as you are, to park the much larger GLE? Does fuel consumption factor into your decision?

A GLE with 4MATIC is a no-brainer in the northeast, it is a poor road and bad conditions driving machine. The M177 seems to be avoiding (so far) the aging problems of its predecessors (head bolts, soft cams, valve guides, cylinder scoring, oil in the harness, etc.). But the mileage on M177 is not high yet for any model.
Yeah it's the GLE coupe, not the regular GLE. Hence GLEc63s. It's a silly long name, I agree, but that's MB for you, calling a 4700 lb truck a coupe...

That's really the only v8 option around here, they're just not building the cars. Im not in NYC, so yes I have space to park. And yes, kids and a need for winter driving freedom. But I also have a need to drive my c63s like the hooligan it is. I'd love the best of both worlds, which was why I ordered an E63s when I found out the C would never have a v8 again. But they're not building the E right now. So my choices are limited. GLEc63s now, wait for SL whenever they decide to release it (the cars are just sitting at the port in Baltimore), or buy my C63s and keep it for a while and see if they ever build the E63s I ordered.
chassis (07-04-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 09:26 AM
Out Of Control!!

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Got it. Kids + V8 = GLE63.

Which MB source are you seeing that uses the model designation with a "c"?
Old 07-04-2022, 02:07 PM

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts
2019 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by asc
What the title says. I have a pearl white 2019 C63s, carbon package and trim, lots of interior options. I love it. About 9k miles. But it's coming off lease so I have to decide what to do. I want a v8 and I have zero interest in a hybrid with a smaller engine. So the C class is out. I had ordered an E63s 10 months ago but they're still not building them right now. So I can buy and keep my C, or buy and swap for a 2022 GLEc63s, which has the M177 v8, and would be highly optioned in obsidian black, night package, carbon brakes, etc. Or I can keep the C63s and hold out for an SL. I'd like 4matic after not having it for the last 3 years, and both the GLEc63s and the SL have it, but they're obviously very different beasts. I'm in NY so winter is a real thing. What do you all think? Thanks!
About 2 weeks ago the MB Dealership sent me a quote (my request) on the cost of the extended warranty. I also have a 2019 C63s coupe purchased new in April 2019. Currently with 20,000 miles.
So in April 2023 my original 4 year warranty will expire. The quoted cost is as follows:
A 2 year extended warranty for 75, 000 miles would be $5,950.
A 3 year extended warranty for 75, 000 miles would be $6,950.
These MB Extended Warranty are transferable to a private buyer.
I do not know if these prices are negotiable and I have not researched other Extended Warranty policies. Also needed to know what would be specifically covered and what would be considered just normal age and wear and tear?
I live in NYC area and have the Perilli Sottozero 3 winter tires installed and have had no problems minus having a major snow storm. This is my DD and only car.
So if you decided to buy your C63s coupe it appears your warranty will expire (time) next year.
asc (07-05-2022)
Old 07-04-2022, 02:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,945 Likes on 2,633 Posts
2019 C63CS
Extended warranties are rarely worth the money. They are huge profit centers. Put that money in a bank account and use it to pay for repairs.
The following 2 users liked this post by superswiss:
asc (07-05-2022), chassis (07-04-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 03:43 PM
asc

2023 E63s
Just test drove the GLE 63s coupe. As @superswiss pointed out, I felt like I was "riding an elephant." A very fast, nimble, elephant. But still. There's almost zero visibility out the back window...it's this tiny curved thing. And the steering wheel doesn't go down nearly low enough to suit by preferred seat setting, I'm 6' tall, you'd have to be like 7'6" to use the full range of seat motion and actually still be able to reach up to the wheel. And even in what seemed like the best setup, the wheel then blocked a LOT of the digital gauge cluster. Oh, and they want $15k over sticker. They're offering me $10k in equity on my 2019 C63s (9k miles, mint condition), but I'd still have to shell out around $150k for the GLE. Just doesn't seem worth it right now. Especially with the likelihood that equity keeps building in our cars given that they stopped making the c63s with a v8. So I'm likely to just buy it and hold it until something else catches my eye. Thanks all for your thoughts, much appreciated.
chassis (07-13-2022)
Old 07-13-2022, 10:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,586 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
The E63S is back for 2023 as a Sedan and Wagon, however this is the final model year for the W213 chassis, so if your heart is set on an E, move fast. That being said, you'll likely have to pay the price and units will be extremely limited.

I would just stick with the C, the SL is great if you have very little children or another car to haul them in. The C should be plenty capable of hauling children, and is something you like, and if you aren't bored with it, keep it until you do become bored, values should stay healthy due to the V8 and with you behind the wheel, like you said, low milage. As for snow in NY, I live in MD, have survived plenty years putting on a good set of snow tires, that should easily help out.
Old 07-14-2022, 08:57 AM
asc

2023 E63s
Originally Posted by js_cls
The E63S is back for 2023 as a Sedan and Wagon, however this is the final model year for the W213 chassis, so if your heart is set on an E, move fast. That being said, you'll likely have to pay the price and units will be extremely limited.

I would just stick with the C, the SL is great if you have very little children or another car to haul them in. The C should be plenty capable of hauling children, and is something you like, and if you aren't bored with it, keep it until you do become bored, values should stay healthy due to the V8 and with you behind the wheel, like you said, low milage. As for snow in NY, I live in MD, have survived plenty years putting on a good set of snow tires, that should easily help out.
I actually ordered an E63s last October, and they haven't even started building it yet. So I'll likely never see it...but in theory the order is still on the books.
Old 07-15-2022, 03:34 PM

Received 134 Likes on 94 Posts
2018 C63s
Originally Posted by asc
I actually ordered an E63s last October, and they haven't even started building it yet. So I'll likely never see it...but in theory the order is still on the books.
*****That's just crazy! I have a couple of cars on order (different platforms, brand, etc.. ) from last September, and have no build order or VIN yet, etc.. either.

Before Covid, I ordered a new JCW Mini Cooper with a bunch of options on it and had it in my garage within 6 weeks, and it came from Germany (BMW motor).