Sponsored by:

Car super sluggish after touchless car wash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2022, 04:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,820 Likes on 2,553 Posts
2019 C63CS
Don't think it can be generalized. I use a touchless wash near my house and always choose the program with the underbody wash. Almost 28k miles with no issues.
Old 08-11-2022, 09:44 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lexus IS
It’s going to be 2 weeks soon without the car.
Got a text this morning from service.

“Shop foreman is still out....but I spoke w him over the phone and he emailed me some results. We ordered a new exhaust flap assembly. They want us to install it and retest”

Fingers crossed.

I really miss driving my car.
The GLC 300 loaner is fine, but I really miss the V8 power and the Burmaster sound system. I can’t even explain how much the stock sound system sucks *****. Always opt for the sound system upgrade in any car.
Old 08-11-2022, 07:19 PM

Received 133 Likes on 93 Posts
2018 C63s
Originally Posted by Stoic_nihilist
It’s going to be 2 weeks soon without the car.
Got a text this morning from service.

“Shop foreman is still out....but I spoke w him over the phone and he emailed me some results. We ordered a new exhaust flap assembly. They want us to install it and retest”

Fingers crossed.

I really miss driving my car.
The GLC 300 loaner is fine, but I really miss the V8 power and the Burmaster sound system. I can’t even explain how much the stock sound system sucks *****. Always opt for the sound system upgrade in any car.
*****Hope it works out. Exhaust flap issues are not that uncommon, especially on cars exposed to water, salt from snowy roads, and general grit, time, thermal cycling, etc.. The actuators themselves sometimes break springs as well and need replacing. I replaced my two back ones by the muffler when one started going bad and not fully opening the exhaust. I bought the Ford versions of them (exactly the same, just not labeled Mercedes so a LOT cheaper), and it was an easy install. I replaced both as I figured they had the same mileage on them, etc.. Exhaust works *great* now that the actuators are doing their job!

Old 08-11-2022, 08:30 PM

Lexus IS
Originally Posted by MaxVO2
*****Hope it works out. Exhaust flap issues are not that uncommon, especially on cars exposed to water, salt from snowy roads, and general grit, time, thermal cycling, etc.. The actuators themselves sometimes break springs as well and need replacing. I replaced my two back ones by the muffler when one started going bad and not fully opening the exhaust. I bought the Ford versions of them (exactly the same, just not labeled Mercedes so a LOT cheaper), and it was an easy install. I replaced both as I figured they had the same mileage on them, etc.. Exhaust works *great* now that the actuators are doing their job!
I agree with what you said, however:
I live in Los Angeles and the weather is basically perfect.
The car is a 2021 model with 4k miles on it.
I’m the original owner.
Old 08-12-2022, 09:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2019 C63 S
always tell technicians when and how it happened. I run into this in software dev and IT world where not explaining when or how it started or what they did to fix it adds significant time then folks get upset with invoices. oh well.
Old 08-16-2022, 11:01 AM

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts
2019 c63s coupe, 2008 s63 sedan, 2007 335i coupe
Originally Posted by MaxVO2
****Omg you are so lucky they even gave you a Benz loaner! Here in my area near Washington, DC things got so bad with not having inventory that my friends Benz got hit by another car and was being repaired and they gave him a....wait for it..... a Toyota Yaris to drive that was in their used car lot! Thankfully, it was only for a week or so and they got his Benz fixed but holy crap what a step down from a C63s to a Yaris!!! Probably didn't impress too many of the partners at his law firm (He's a partner..managing partner no less...). We had major major issues here with no rental or loaner cars as we are near two major airports (BWI and Dulles) and supply chain issues plus the overall market just really messed things up here.

Thankfully things are better now somewhat. Pic below I got off the internet. My friends loaner Yaris wasn't even a cool red but a crummy dingy silver and the car was missing a wheel cover as well. I guess it was better than walking in his Ferragamo's or riding his Schwinn bicycle, but not by much! He did Uber most days, but used the Yaris car for some shopping, and dropping off his dry cleaning, etc...

I guess he can laugh about it now...
Dealers give loaners for repairs non accident related... if it goes to a body shop that is even at the dealer they don't give you a loaner... you go through your insurance and get a rental car. You only get a loaner for regular breakdowns not car accidents.
The following users liked this post:
Stoic_nihilist (08-17-2022)
Old 08-17-2022, 04:32 AM

Lexus IS
Originally Posted by purplewidow
Dealers give loaners for repairs non accident related... if it goes to a body shop that is even at the dealer they don't give you a loaner... you go through your insurance and get a rental car. You only get a loaner for regular breakdowns not car accidents.
facts
Old 08-24-2022, 05:44 AM

Lexus IS
*UPDATE*
Replaced the first exhaust flap assembly, nothing changed.

Service advisor said after replacing the second exhaust flap valves, the problem was solved 100%. GREAT NEWS!

I”m picking the car up tomorrow morning.
Was told that going through the touch-less car wash was just a coincidence and not the culprit.
Hope they are right.
Fingers crossed for no more gremlins!

TLDR:
2021 c63 sedan. Original owner 4,600 miles on odometer.
Car is stock.

A)First 1.5k miles, got a check engine light & the car’s thermostat died. Was repaired under warranty & took 1 month because they had to take the whole engine apart (the thermostat is placed right next to the block)

B)car went into limp mode 3.5 weeks ago at 4.6k miles (no check engine light) after driving through a touchless car wash. Both Exhaust flaps assemblies replaced under warranty. Took 4 weeks.

I love the car and won’t lemon it because they don’t make these anymore.
In the year and a half since I’ve owned it brand new, it spent a total of 60 days in the repair shop so far… which is ridiculous.

This car is a lease so I don’t really care, buuuuuuut debating on buying it out at lease end if no more major problems arrive by April 2024.

If I do buy it out at lease end, will definitely get an extended warranty because Fuxk all these expensive problems.
Old 08-24-2022, 06:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 511 Likes on 346 Posts
700HP Facelift converted PFL C63 S Coupe
*UPDATE*
Service advisor said after replacing the second exhaust flap valves, the problem was solved 100%. GREAT NEWS!
Good man glad its all sorted now. Are you still going to do the whole touchless carwash thing after this?
Old 08-24-2022, 09:53 AM

Lexus IS
Originally Posted by Jimmy_c63s
Good man glad its all sorted now. Are you still going to do the whole touchless carwash thing after this?
I don’t know! Kind of paranoid now.

The hand washing place I used to go to takes forever and there is always a line and costs too much. I don’t have 2 hours to kill every time I want to wash my car.

The old touchless car wash I used before (not the new one that messed up my car) had an option where they don’t do an under carriage spray. I’ve always used it, no problems until they closed it for maintenance for a month.

Thats when I found the new touch less wash I used where I started having my problems with my car.

I think the original touchless car wash (without under carriage spray) is back and working. I’ll take it there and hope for the best.

Old 08-24-2022, 10:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 511 Likes on 346 Posts
700HP Facelift converted PFL C63 S Coupe
I don’t know! Kind of paranoid now.

I think the original touchless car wash (without under carriage spray) is back and working. I’ll take it there and hope for the best.
Yeah take it to the one without the undercarriage spray and just spray/hose it at your home once a fortnight.

You can get one of those Ryobi undercarriage washers too if you really want.

Stoic_nihilist (08-24-2022)
Old 08-24-2022, 11:08 AM

Lexus IS
Originally Posted by Jimmy_c63s
Yeah take it to the one without the undercarriage spray and just spray/hose it at your home once a fortnight.

You can get one of those Ryobi undercarriage washers too if you really want.
Will do!

I’m not messing around with under carriage sprays of any kind now. Thank God it rarely rains in Los Angeles, I’ll also be avoiding puddles as they come up.
Drive real slow through them like a grandma.

Old 03-29-2023, 03:23 AM

Lexus IS
**Update on the car**
It has now 8,000 miles on the odometer and is 23 months old.

Check engine light came on. On the way to the dealer I hit a pothole and blew out my front left tire (yay for rain in Los Angeles and crap roads).
I also have service B due next month and I figured I would kill all the birds with one stone.
Towed the car to my dealer in the South Bay.

-2 front new tires ordered (getting Pilot sports 4s', still had 4.5/10 tread remaining on the original pilot super sport fronts)
Keeping the rears stock pilot super sports for now as they have some life left in them (4.5/10)
-Alignment
-Maintenance service B
*Check engine light* showed a failed Fuel pump Control Module. Warranty covers this.
All in all, $2,500.

I have never had this many problems with a new car before and I have owned a few. The car is barely 2 years old and significant issues keep coming up.
I love this thing, but I am so scared to own this out of warranty,

TLDR:
2021 c63 sedan. Original owner.
Car is stock.

A)1.5k miles @3 months old the thermostat died. Was repaired under warranty & took 1 month since they take the whole engine apart for this.
B)4.6k miles @15 months old car went into limp mode. Both Exhaust flaps assemblies replaced under warranty. Took 4 weeks.
C)8k miles @23 months old. Fuel pump Control module died. Check engine light came on. Being replaced under warranty.

You guys having similar issues? Or is this thing a lemon? How often are you experiencing check engine lights with serious problems?
Car has been in the shop for over 75 days total since Ive bought it. And its not even 2 years old!

Attached is a picture of my run flat that was flat and wasn’t running

Old 03-29-2023, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
You guys having similar issues? Or is this thing a lemon? How often are you experiencing check engine lights with serious problems?
Car has been in the shop for over 75 days total since Ive bought it. And its not even 2 years old!
FWIW, my '19 coupe had a few loose ends from the factory. Needed some software updates, but nothing major so far. The only powertrain issue I had was a misfire towards the end of last year after a hard canyon run. They updated the ECU again and swapped coil packs. Hasn't happened since. Could have been some bad fuel. The oil sensor also started to give false warnings again, which was also supposed to be addressed by the same update and it hasn't happened again so far. I did have to get my rear dampers replaced recently as they were making a high pitched noise, which is now fixed as well. Overall no major issues so far, just some inconveniences. Longest time in the shop was for a cosmetic issue. The aero package side sills kept coming off until AMG revised them and now they are staying put.
Old 03-29-2023, 09:33 PM

Lexus IS
Originally Posted by superswiss
FWIW, my '19 coupe had a few loose ends from the factory. Needed some software updates, but nothing major so far. The only powertrain issue I had was a misfire towards the end of last year after a hard canyon run. They updated the ECU again and swapped coil packs. Hasn't happened since. Could have been some bad fuel. The oil sensor also started to give false warnings again, which was also supposed to be addressed by the same update and it hasn't happened again so far. I did have to get my rear dampers replaced recently as they were making a high pitched noise, which is now fixed as well. Overall no major issues so far, just some inconveniences. Longest time in the shop was for a cosmetic issue. The aero package side sills kept coming off until AMG revised them and now they are staying put.
Thats good to hear. Sounds like some minor inconveniences that were taken care off quickly and you could drive the car even with all the issues you had (even if you didn’t fix them).
Maybe the 19 models used better parts and equipment? Newer parts?
Its like my car got assembled with all the trash bin parts
Old 03-29-2023, 09:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Maybe the 19 models used better parts and equipment? Newer parts?
Its like my car got assembled with all the trash bin parts
Well, the biggest difference is that the coupes are built in Germany whereas the sedans were built either in Alabama or South Africa. The engine is still built in Affalterbach in both cases, but for the sedan it spends time on a ship and gets handled by port personnel before it gets to the factory and installed. The US built sedans have consistently shown more build quality issues. I haven't heard much about South Africa, but that's mainly because before MB moved the US sedan production to South Africa during the final year of production, South Africa was mainly building cars for the ROW.
Old 03-30-2023, 02:02 AM

Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts
2019 C63S Coupe
**Update on the car**

Check engine light came on. On the way to the dealer I hit a pothole and blew out my front left tire (yay for rain in Los Angeles and crap roads).
I also have service B due next month and I figured I would kill all the birds with one stone.

-2 front new tires ordered (getting Pilot sports 4s', still had 4.5/10 tread remaining on the original pilot super sport fronts)
Keeping the rears stock pilot super sports for now as they have some life left in them (4.5/10)
-Alignment
-Maintenance service B
*Check engine light* showed a failed Fuel pump Control Module. Warranty covers this.
All in all, $2,500.

I have never had this many problems with a new car before and I have owned a few. The car is barely 2 years old and significant issues keep coming up.

TLDR:
Car is stock.

A)1.5k miles @3 months old the thermostat died. Was repaired under warranty & took 1 month since they take the whole engine apart for this.
B)4.6k miles @15 months old car went into limp mode. Both Exhaust flaps assemblies replaced under warranty. Took 4 weeks.
C)8k miles @23 months old. Fuel pump Control module died. Check engine light came on. Being replaced under warranty.

Yes, with all the real situations as you have listed and any potential repairs I am strongly leaning towards getting the Mercedes Benz Extended Warranty for 3 years or 75 000 miles at a cost of $7,755.00 plus tax.
The car 2019 C63S coupe was purchased on April 12, 2019.
I have an appointment this Monday for B Service and mostly likely will close the deal on purchasing the Extended Warranty.

Old 03-30-2023, 02:05 AM

2019 C63S Coupe
**Update on the car**

-Alignment
-Maintenance service B
All in all, $2,500.

TLDR:
Car is stock.

Yes, with all the real situations as you have listed and any potential repairs I am strongly leaning towards getting the Mercedes Benz Extended Warranty for 3 years or 75 000 miles at a cost of $7,755.00 plus tax.
The car 2019 C63S coupe was purchased on April 12, 2019. So the warranty end April 11, 2023.
I have an appointment this Monday for the B Service and mostly likely will close the deal on purchasing the Extended Warranty.
I have not found any Mercedes E class that caught my interest for me to trade in my AMG. I recently test drove an new Audi S6 (boring looking) and S7 (quite nice for sure) but both are in very short supplies at the Dealerships and if you don't like the color combo you can be out of luck.

Last edited by jj18; 03-30-2023 at 02:35 AM.
Old 03-30-2023, 11:01 AM

Lexus IS
Originally Posted by superswiss
Well, the biggest difference is that the coupes are built in Germany whereas the sedans were built either in Alabama or South Africa. The engine is still built in Affalterbach in both cases, but for the sedan it spends time on a ship and gets handled by port personnel before it gets to the factory and installed. The US built sedans have consistently shown more build quality issues. I haven't heard much about South Africa, but that's mainly because before MB moved the US sedan production to South Africa during the final year of production, South Africa was mainly building cars for the ROW.
I checked and my car was assembled in South Africa.
I wish it were assembled in Germany, maybe less problems?
Old 03-30-2023, 11:07 AM

Lexus IS
Originally Posted by jj18
The car 2019 C63S coupe was purchased on April 12, 2019. So the warranty end April 11, 2023.
I have an appointment this Monday for the B Service and mostly likely will close the deal on purchasing the Extended Warranty.
I have not found any Mercedes E class that caught my interest for me to trade in my AMG. I recently test drove an new Audi S6 (boring looking) and S7 (quite nice for sure) but both are in very short supplies at the Dealerships and if you don't like the color combo you can be out of luck.

8k+ plus for an extended warranty seems super steep but probably worth it. Not sure If i will buy out the lease in one year when its due in April 2024.
How do you like the Audis? Seems like a step down in power and performance but a step up in reliability?

I should have bought the Lexus GSF instead of this a couple of years ago. That thing would last 15-20 years no problem.
But after driving the C63AMG, where do you go after this? What other car puts a similar stupid grin on your face that doesn’t cost over 80k?
Old 03-30-2023, 12:41 PM

2019 C63S Coupe
8k+ plus for an extended warranty seems super steep but probably worth it. Not sure If i will buy out the lease in one year when its due in April 2024.
How do you like the Audis? Seems like a step down in power and performance but a step up in reliability?

I should have bought the Lexus GSF instead of this a couple of years ago. That thing would last 15-20 years no problem.
But after driving the C63AMG, where do you go after this? What other car puts a similar stupid grin on your face that doesn’t cost over 80k?
It's expensive, even a 1 year Extended Warranty was over $5, 000. The EW is transferable to a new owner.
Except for a few rattles now and then, a recent battery warning I drove to the Dealership and was replaced under warranty which took a 2 hour wait and a tire blow out which had to be towed to Dealership the car with 24,000 miles has been solid.
In regards to the the
Audi S7 it was fast, powerful, handled effortless, comfortable, and had that beautiful retro look. The SA said it will feels faster than the 444 hp and it did. For me the color Ultra Blue without the Blsck Optic Package make the car looked too big and clownly.
The aggressive in your face Sale Advisor started out by wanting $16,000 over Sticker. Since I knew the car was not for me that was it. He refused to shake my hand when I left but called me the next day to see what we could work out with the price. I told him I wanted the car $10,000 under Sticker and instead of $53, 000 for my trade in I wanted $75,000. He replied that's absolutely ridiculous and I replied that what you sounded like yesterday. So that was that.
I love my car but was just looking for another option since I'v had it for 4 years now.
Old 03-30-2023, 01:43 PM
SPONSOR

Received 239 Likes on 184 Posts
2001 E55AMG
Originally Posted by jj18
That is crazy! Check the numbers below before following up with the dealership. Fidelity is sold by many Mercedes-Benz stores across the country, and is accepted at every Mercedes-Benz service center / licensed independent. Platinum, their top level exclusionary coverage, would be identical coverage to the MB EW. You can reach me at tgibson@highline-autos.com or (855) 924-1333 and I can send over the example contract that explains coverage.

Fidelity Platinum:
3 years / additional 100K miles (their lowest milage for the 3 years)
$0 deduciblte
-$3,634

4 years / additional 100K miles (their lowest milage for the 4 years)
$0 deduciblte
-$4,040

5 years / additional 60K miles (their lowest milage for the 5 years)
$0 deduciblte
-$2,964

TAX INCLUDED

Last edited by Highline-Autos.com; 03-30-2023 at 01:44 PM. Reason: Tax Included
kc2ntlh (03-31-2023)
Old 03-30-2023, 11:47 PM

Lexus IS
Got the car back today.
Drove it home and on the way home the check engine light turned on again after 15 mins of driving

It was already 6:30pm and service department was closed.
Will text my service advisor to test it over the air tomorrow if he can, otherwise right back it goes.
This is so ridiculous that it's funny now. All I can do is just laugh at this ****.
At least service B is done and I got 2 new front MP4S tires with an alignment.

When I was picking up my car, talked to this dude who also had a C63 (2020) model.
He had a nice exhaust on it and was telling me how he will buy it out at lease end because its been bullet proof.
I'm like "this is my third time here in less than 2 years for part failures lmao"
Old 04-04-2023, 03:07 AM

Lexus IS
Got to the dealership to have my car diagnosed.
I was idling in their car port waiting for my SA and as soon as my service advisor came out to greet me, the check engine light....turned itself off.
They told me to go home. They can’t diagnose a problem thats not there. LMFAO
Outrageous.
Old 04-04-2023, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 284 Likes on 196 Posts
2020 C63S Coupe & 2018 Macan Turbo
It's still there: the problem. The light might have turned off, but you do understand the issue, whatever caused the idiot light to initially illuminate, is still there. The light will probably turn back on soon enough. They're just glad to get you out of there. Your car was tying up tech time and floor space (either outside or in a bay).

Apologies. It's the pessimist coming out this early in the morning.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car super sluggish after touchless car wash