Sponsored by:

Some misfiring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-07-2023, 05:59 PM

Received 106 Likes on 74 Posts
2007 E350
Some misfiring

This started on sunday. Every time I drive for about 30 minutes and go wot, I start getting flashing engine light plus rough acceleration and idle. Definitely a misfire as the car is shaking. I installed new spark plugs in September. So could it be the coils? For those that had this problem in the past. If it’s really my ignition coils. Should I go ahead and replace all the spark plugs too? They’re only 3 month old

https://youtube.com/shorts/jdeCEJgjH1I?si=kd-nvg_IkSs46p0q

https://youtube.com/shorts/jdeCEJgjH1I?si=kd-nvg_IkSs46p0q

Last edited by koifysh; 12-07-2023 at 06:08 PM.
Old 12-07-2023, 09:19 PM

Received 148 Likes on 112 Posts
2017 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by koifysh
This started on sunday. Every time I drive for about 30 minutes and go wot, I start getting flashing engine light plus rough acceleration and idle. Definitely a misfire as the car is shaking. I installed new spark plugs in September. So could it be the coils? For those that had this problem in the past. If it’s really my ignition coils. Should I go ahead and replace all the spark plugs too? They’re only 3 month old

https://youtube.com/shorts/jdeCEJgjH...-nvg_IkSs46p0q

https://youtube.com/shorts/jdeCEJgjH...-nvg_IkSs46p0q
no need to change your spark plugs if you just changed them 3 months ago

i had a similar situation where i had changed my spark plugs but after about 6-7 months my car started misfiring. Had it checked, one of the coils was going bad but i just replaced them all and all good now
Old 12-07-2023, 10:06 PM

2007 E350
Originally Posted by untamedd

i had a similar situation where i had changed my spark plugs but after about 6-7 months my car started misfiring. Had it checked, one of the coils was going bad but i just replaced them all and all good now
i got some help from the awesome people at ptg. Got these following codes:

P074286
P061B00
U042600

no idea what it means

Old 12-07-2023, 10:12 PM

2007 E350
Originally Posted by untamedd

P074286
P061B00
U042600

no idea what it means

Old 12-08-2023, 08:53 AM

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
17 C63S Coupe PTG1000

P074286
P061B00
U042600

no idea what it means
How did you pull these codes?
Old 12-08-2023, 10:16 AM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2003 E320
Based on the symptoms you've described and the diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) you've provided, it does sound like you're experiencing an engine misfire. The flashing engine light, rough acceleration, and idle, along with the shaking, are classic signs of this issue. Let's break down what these codes might indicate:
  1. P074286: This code isn't standard in the OBD-II code format, which typically consists of a letter followed by four digits. It's possible there might be a typo in this code. If it's meant to be P0742, it would refer to a problem with the torque converter clutch circuit, which could affect driving performance but is less likely to cause a misfire.
  2. P061B00: This code suggests an internal control module torque calculation performance issue. This might be related to the engine control module (ECM) and could be a sign of problems with the vehicle's computer system or software. This code might not directly point to a misfire but could indicate issues with engine management.
  3. U042600: This is a communication code, typically indicating a lost communication with a specific module. This could be related to various systems in the vehicle, and diagnosing this will likely require professional equipment and expertise.
Given that you've recently changed the spark plugs, they are less likely to be the issue, especially if they were correctly installed and are the right type for your vehicle. However, ignition coils could indeed be the culprit, as they are crucial in providing the spark to ignite the fuel-air mixture in the cylinders. If one or more coils are failing, it can lead to misfiring.
Old 12-08-2023, 01:10 PM

2007 E350
Originally Posted by noremaC
How did you pull these codes?
from a verstand from ptg when I did my tcu tune
Old 12-08-2023, 01:12 PM

2007 E350
[QUOTE=progonat;8889055]Based on the symptoms you've described and the diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) you've provided, it does sound like you're experiencing an engine misfire. The flashing engine light, rough acceleration, and idle, along with the shaking, are classic signs of this issue. Let's break down what these codes might indicate:
  1. P074286: This code isn't standard in the OBD-II code format, which typically consists of a letter followed by four digits. It's possible there might be a typo in this code. If it's meant to be P0742, it would refer to a problem with the torque converter clutch circuit, which could affect driving performance but is less likely to cause a misfire.
  2. P061B00: This code suggests an internal control module torque calculation performance issue. This might be related to the engine control module (ECM) and could be a sign of problems with the vehicle's computer system or software. This code might not directly point to a misfire but could indicate issues with engine management.
  3. U042600: This is a communication code, typically indicating a lost communication with a specific module. This could be related to various systems in the vehicle, and diagnosing this will likely require professional equipment and expertise.
Given that you've recently changed the spark plugs, they are less likely to be the issue, especially if they were correctly installed and are the right type for your vehicle. However, ignition coils could indeed be the culprit, as they are crucial in providing the spark to ignite the fuel-air mixture in the cylinders. If one or more coils are failing, it can lead to misfiring.[/QUOTE

is water spill in the trunk also a culprit?
Old 12-08-2023, 02:54 PM

Received 60 Likes on 42 Posts
17 C63S Coupe PTG1000
from a verstand from ptg when I did my tcu tune
I can help you read the codes. When you are in the Verstand ECU menu, run the "Read DTC" option and send the the full code lines over to me. They should be in German.
Old 12-13-2023, 05:44 PM

2007 E350
Originally Posted by noremaC
I can help you read the codes. When you are in the Verstand ECU menu, run the "Read DTC" option and send the the full code lines over to me. They should be in German.

this is what I got in the ecu menu when reading dtc
Old 01-28-2024, 11:12 PM

2007 E350
Finally got my coils from mercteil last week for $180 each. 2 week for delivery. Installed it today after half an hour of wiggling them out because of the god damn fuel line. Drives soooo smoothhh & the power. I can break traction 20% throttle. Thank god it wasn’t fuel pump or any other bs lol.
Old 02-23-2024, 11:23 PM

2007 E350
One more question for you guys. Recently i’ve been noticing the rpm fluctuate a little bit when in idling & the car would have a light shake. It would go away for 15-20 seconds then come back and repeat. Same thing when coming to a stop. The rpm would rev up then back down, sometimes a little and other times till 1700 rpm. No codes or check engine light. Since coils and new spark plugs are out of the way. I’m speculating that its a vacuum leak or map sensor. My question is, how many vacuum valve are in the engine and where are they located? I’m going to try and replace them along with all the MAP sensor
Old 02-24-2024, 05:06 PM

Received 122 Likes on 103 Posts
W205 C63 AMG Coupe
One more question for you guys. Recently i’ve been noticing the rpm fluctuate a little bit when in idling & the car would have a light shake. It would go away for 15-20 seconds then come back and repeat. Same thing when coming to a stop. The rpm would rev up then back down, sometimes a little and other times till 1700 rpm. No codes or check engine light. Since coils and new spark plugs are out of the way. I’m speculating that its a vacuum leak or map sensor. My question is, how many vacuum valve are in the engine and where are they located? I’m going to try and replace them along with all the MAP sensor
I had a similar symptom a while back and ended up checking my spark plugs and found one of them had failed. The ceramic was loose and dropped down over the electrode. It caused an intermittent misfire with no code most of the time. It may have happened to you.

Old 03-02-2024, 02:22 PM

2007 E350
Originally Posted by SJGetsome
I had a similar symptom a while back and ended up checking my spark plugs and found one of them had failed. The ceramic was loose and dropped down over the electrode. It caused an intermittent misfire with no code most of the time. It may have happened to you.

i already change out both my coils and plugs. No more misfure and rough idle. Just these weird pulsing and rpm fluctuations every 15 second when cold & less so when warm. But its only on idle and when coming to a stop the rpm would go up a bit then back down
Old 03-02-2024, 03:54 PM

2007 E350
Another weird problem. Every time I park the car then turn it back on, put it in reverse then to drive and let it roll by itself (without touching the throttle) the rpm would surge up and down. This is reproducible no matter if cold or warm. Bad throttle sensor?

note: this only happens if I turn the car off, then turn back on and put it in reverse then drive and let the car roll. Back when I first took delivery. I remembered during cold start when I give it 0.5% throttle (a very light touch) it would do the same thing. Never thought anything of it until now

Last edited by koifysh; 03-02-2024 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-02-2024, 09:19 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
c450
I had the same issues as you on my last c63s. For me replacing my purge valves solved the issue. They were also very loud so I resolved two things with one part. Hope this helps.
Old 03-03-2024, 05:43 PM

2007 E350
Originally Posted by mokawop
I had the same issues as you on my last c63s. For me replacing my purge valves solved the issue. They were also very loud so I resolved two things with one part. Hope this helps.

i did change my purge valve. I think i found the cause. Looks like a small leak over time. I tightened that part a little and it help a lot with the problem. Do you know the name of this part?

Old 03-03-2024, 11:10 PM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
c450
i did change my purge valve. I think i found the cause. Looks like a small leak over time. I tightened that part a little and it help a lot with the problem. Do you know the name of this part?

Sorry which part are you referring to? The connection closest to the camera? There’s alot of leakable connections in the photo haha.
Old 03-04-2024, 12:53 AM

2007 E350
Originally Posted by mokawop
Sorry which part are you referring to? The connection closest to the camera? There’s alot of leakable connections in the photo haha.
This part, closest to the photo. Btw, do you know how many vacuum valves are there in this engine?

this part

Old 03-04-2024, 05:33 AM

Received 40 Likes on 30 Posts
2019 GLC 63, 2020 C43 coupe
Delete