Common problems M177

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2024, 04:51 PM

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts
C63s Estate
Common problems M177

Hi,

I want to start a discussion about this video.

How many people have this problem on their cars?
How many kilometers/milleage?

Last edited by jopsis_c63s; 02-20-2024 at 04:56 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by jopsis_c63s:
George_1992 (02-21-2024), Jimmy_c63s (02-21-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 08:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 515 Likes on 347 Posts
700HP Facelift converted PFL C63 S Coupe
Originally Posted by jopsis_c63s
Hi,

It's a good video you've posted.

The only issue I've had iin that video are both active engine mounts cracked and I've had the car for over 7 years but I'm preparing I guess. Mine is a dinosaur old prefacelift coupe.
However, I've had plenty of other issues.

But from that video, the only thing I've seen happen in real life so far is leaks in other topics here, plastic intake manifolds cracking at 2 bar boost and engine mounts (mine).

That saying, here is a list of issues I've had outside warranty which I had to pay for over 7 years

◾ 1 injector stuck
◾ Purge valves
◾ Coil packs replaced 2 times
◾ Rear diff replaced
◾ Punctured factory front aux coolers
◾ Leaking coolant hoses
◾ Front fender makes a squeak
◾ Creaks in the front driver's seat
◾ All 3 exhaust flaps jammed twice
◾ Fading night package trim on front bumper
◾ Front ball joints
◾ Fading front black roof trim (goodwill warranty)
◾ Cracked leather seats
◾ Both active engine mounts
◾ High pitched whine at 70kmh and 110kmh since new even after diff changed
◾ Factory RXC wheels buckled twice

But this is over a span of 7 years and some things are maintenance but I put my whole list up anyway.

After I fixed all my issues I tuned the car to Stage 1 and now I'm running hybrid turbos around 700hp at the crank on low boost. I won't be doing anymore modifications and just concentrate on maintenance and restore.

Below is an example of cracked facelift (smaller) manifolds in that video from high boost tune etc. But I'm positive prefacelift (larger) manifolds would crack at that boost pressure too

View this post on Instagram

Last edited by Jimmy_c63s; 02-21-2024 at 08:20 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jopsis_c63s (02-21-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 09:25 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C63s W205
Originally Posted by Jimmy_c63s

The only issue I've had iin that video are both active engine mounts cracked and I've had the car for over 7 years but I'm preparing I guess. Mine is a dinosaur old prefacelift coupe.

But from that video, the only thing I've seen happen in real life so far is leaks in other topics here, plastic intake manifolds cracking at 2 bar boost and engine mounts (mine).

That saying, here is a list of issues I've had outside warranty which I had to pay for over 7 years

◾ 1 injector stuck
◾ Purge valves
◾ Rear diff replaced
◾ Leaking coolant hoses
◾ Front ball joints
◾ Cracked leather seats

But this is over a span of 7 years and some things are maintenance but I put my whole list up anyway.

After I fixed all my issues I tuned the car to Stage 1 and now I'm running hybrid turbos around 700hp at the crank on low boost. I won't be doing anymore modifications and just concentrate on maintenance and restore.

Below is also an example of cracked manifolds in that video from high boost tune etc.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgbsRGvPY44/

i had to replace my left side motor mount , took some work but isn’t to hard to replace as long as you got a lift , right side is even easier

Last edited by LR63s; 02-22-2024 at 02:29 PM.
Jimmy_c63s (02-21-2024)
Old 02-20-2024, 11:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by LR63s
i had to replace my right side motor mount , took some work but isn’t to hard to replace as long as you got a lift , right side is even easier
Can I ask what symptoms you experienced (sorry for my wording) to make you check your mounts? Were you getting any funny noises eg. a thud or a clunk on light acceleration?

These are my two cracked active engine mounts. Did yours have those cracks too?

Last edited by Jimmy_c63s; 02-20-2024 at 11:57 PM.
Old 02-21-2024, 12:27 AM

Received 204 Likes on 131 Posts
C63 S Coupe
Can I ask what symptoms you experienced (sorry for my wording) to make you check your mounts? Were you getting any funny noises eg. a thud or a clunk on light acceleration?

For the other bros my 2017 coupe had similar issues and list of problems...... I posted my list up somewhere on our forum. Honestly have not seen leaks yet or thermostat just had both engine mounts changed too
Old 02-21-2024, 01:30 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
2021 AMG C63S, 2008 C300, 2008 Lexus is350
Thermostat went out at 14k
Rear shocks blew at 18k
Turbo inlet boot tore at 21k same one in the video with the breather hose connected to the crankcase oil separator
Currently turbo’s “whistle”under load
The following 2 users liked this post by Shlick96:
George_1992 (02-21-2024), Jimmy_c63s (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 03:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,857 Likes on 2,579 Posts
2019 C63CS
None of these issues so far at 34k miles with my 2019 FL. Just had the spark plugs done during my 5th service. The video is pretty general and no models and model years given. The oil separator issue appears to be limited to the E63 and G63. Not sure what's different there, but there haven't been any reports on the C63 as far as I know. My only issue with the engine was the oil level sensor was faulty and started to give false oil warnings starting from the second day after delivery. It was replaced during the first service, but then came back last summer and I had a misfire after a canyon run on the same day. They updated the ECU and both issues went away and I noticed the oil runs cooler since then for normal driving. They seem to have adjusted something with this update.
The following 2 users liked this post by superswiss:
chassis (02-21-2024), Jimmy_c63s (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 08:01 AM

C63s Estate

◾ 1 injector stuck
◾ Purge valves
◾ Rear diff replaced
◾ Leaking coolant hoses
◾ Front ball joints
◾ Cracked leather seats

Below is also an example of cracked manifolds in that video from high boost tune etc.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CgbsRGvPY44/
Hi!!
My wagon is from January 2017 and have 110.000km It's mine since 2019 with 45.000km and Stage 1 since 50.000km.

This is my list:
  • Front radiators cracked.
    • Put Alpha Competition
  • Purge valves (I hate the "tiki tiki" sound hahaha)
  • Exhaust flaps
    • Only put Ceramic Grease
  • Diff mount
    • Replace for new one
  • Belts and pulls
    • Replace all (both sides)
Regards!
Jimmy_c63s (02-21-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 08:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Hi!!
My wagon is from January 2017 and have 110.000km It's mine since 2019 with 45.000km and Stage 1 since 50.000km.

This is my list:
  • Front radiators cracked.
    • Put Alpha Competition
  • Purge valves (I hate the "tiki tiki" sound hahaha)
  • Exhaust flaps
    • Only put Ceramic Grease
  • Diff mount
    • Replace for new one
  • Belts and pulls
    • Replace all (both sides)
Regards!
Thank you too for your list! What made you replace the diff mount? Was there a knocking noise? I am asking because I have not changed mine since new and want to know if I should do it 🥴
Old 02-21-2024, 10:57 AM

C63s Estate
Thank you too for your list! What made you replace the diff mount? Was there a knocking noise? I am asking because I have not changed mine since new and want to know if I should do it 🥴
Hi Jimmy,

You can hear it on this video, it is a "open old door" noise.

Regards
Jimmy_c63s (02-22-2024)
Old 02-21-2024, 11:41 AM

Received 80 Likes on 57 Posts
2019 C63S Sedan
I'm currently a bit over 50k km on my FL and I'm not sure if my engine mounts are about to go. Only recently the car slightly (enough to annoy tf out of me and my ocd) shudders like unbalanced wheels in sport+/race in 8/9th gear accelerating from 110km/h onwards. Then again it also just feels like the engine working but never noticed it before.
Does anyone know the general life span of the active engine mounts in the s model? I do hoon around alot though.
Old 02-21-2024, 04:25 PM

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts
2007 E350
Mine is 2018, waited 8 month for it to be shipped from germany.

problems:

1. Alignment problem since delivery. steering keep going off centered. Turns out to be the rear arm that adjust rear toe angle. Replaced it with carbahn after market arm. Problem gone

2. Up until 70k miles, clunk in steering when turning to either side. Worn steering u-joint.
3. Purge valve causing loose gas cap message and misfiring after filling up gas.
4. Misfired on heavy throttle. Bad Ignition coil
5. All 4 shocks went bad
6. Engine mounts showing signs of wear. Need to replace that
#2-6 all occur during the 70k miles period
Old 02-21-2024, 04:26 PM

Received 110 Likes on 78 Posts
2007 E350
Originally Posted by dctwc63s
I'm currently a bit over 50k km on my FL and I'm not sure if my engine mounts are about to go. Only recently the car slightly (enough to annoy tf out of me and my ocd) shudders like unbalanced wheels in sport+/race in 8/9th gear accelerating from 110km/h onwards. Then again it also just feels like the engine working but never noticed it before.
Does anyone know the general life span of the active engine mounts in the s model? I do hoon around alot though.
mine does it too. These shi** engine mounts are known to go bad
Old 02-21-2024, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
I'd like to think that AMG improved the dynamic engine mounts over the years. However, the FL '19s and '20s, don't remember if the '21s were affected as well, were subject to several service campaigns related to the AMG Drive Unit. They were coded incorrectly from the factory affecting the correct functioning of the dynamic engine mounts and the e-diff. The issues made themselves noticeable by noises coming from the engine mounts and the e-diff. I personally didn't notice any noises, but at highway speed with the suspension in Comfort mode I wasn't happy with how the car changed lanes and negotiated bends. It felt loosey-goosey and unprecise. As far as I know, AMG changed how the dynamic engine mounts are controlled in the FL. They used to be tied to the drive mode, but are now mainly tied to the speed. I'm wondering if that may also reduce stress on them during daily driving around town with many direction changes. At low speeds they are relaxed, and at higher speeds they tighten up regardless of the mode. So I believe mine didn't tighten up at highway speed which led to the loosey-goosey feel. It was better with the suspension in Sport and that's still how I have my Individual mode configured for highway driving and the open road, but since the service campaigns, the loosey-goosey feel is gone in Comfort mode at higher speeds. Has yours had all the service campaigns taken care of?

Last edited by superswiss; 02-21-2024 at 08:16 PM.
Old 02-22-2024, 12:28 AM

Received 74 Likes on 67 Posts
2019 C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by superswiss
None of these issues so far at 34k miles with my 2019 FL. Just had the spark plugs done during my 5th service. The video is pretty general and no models and model years given. The oil separator issue appears to be limited to the E63 and G63. Not sure what's different there, but there haven't been any reports on the C63 as far as I know. My only issue with the engine was the oil level sensor was faulty and started to give false oil warnings starting from the second day after delivery. It was replaced during the first service, but then came back last summer and I had a misfire after a canyon run on the same day. They updated the ECU and both issues went away and I noticed the oil runs cooler since then for normal driving. They seem to have adjusted something with this update.
Also no issues with any of these listed problems/concerns/repairs so far with my 2019 C63s coupe at 29,000 miles. But I am concerned with these future issues.
. So early April will be in for 5th year MB Service (about 30,000 miles)that includes Spark Plug change. So I plan to mention that the AMG Tech closely inspect the issues listed on this post. I purchased the MB Extended warrant so hopefully anything noticed will be covered.
Did you fell a substatial difference in performance right after the new set of spark plugs were installed? I ask becuse I know it is required to be done at 5 years/50,000 miles Service but my car at 30 000 miles is running like butter so not sure how much better it will perform for me with new plugs?

Last edited by jj18; 02-22-2024 at 12:51 AM.
Old 02-22-2024, 12:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by jj18
Also no issues with any of these listed problems/concerns/repairs so far with my 2019 C63s coupe at 29,000 miles. But I am concerned with these future issues.
. So early April will be in for 5th year MB Service (abive 30,000 miles)that includes Spark Plug change. So I plan to mention that the AMG Tech closely inspect the issues listed on this post. I purchased the MB MB Extended warrant.
Did you fell a substatial difference in performance right after the new set of spark plugs were installed? I ask becuse I know it is required to be done at 5 years/50,000 miles Service but my car at 30 000 miles is running like butter so not sure how much better it will perform for me with new plugs?
Nope, the new spark plugs made no difference. More of a piece of mind.
jj18 (02-22-2024)
Old 02-22-2024, 09:54 AM

2019 C63S Sedan
I'd like to think that AMG improved the dynamic engine mounts over the years. However, the FL '19s and '20s, don't remember if the '21s were affected as well, were subject to several service campaigns related to the AMG Drive Unit. They were coded incorrectly from the factory affecting the correct functioning of the dynamic engine mounts and the e-diff. The issues made themselves noticeable by noises coming from the engine mounts and the e-diff. I personally didn't notice any noises, but at highway speed with the suspension in Comfort mode I wasn't happy with how the car changed lanes and negotiated bends. It felt loosey-goosey and unprecise. As far as I know, AMG changed how the dynamic engine mounts are controlled in the FL. They used to be tied to the drive mode, but are now mainly tied to the speed. I'm wondering if that may also reduce stress on them during daily driving around town with many direction changes. At low speeds they are relaxed, and at higher speeds they tighten up regardless of the mode. So I believe mine didn't tighten up at highway speed which led to the loosey-goosey feel. It was better with the suspension in Sport and that's still how I have my Individual mode configured for highway driving and the open road, but since the service campaigns, the loosey-goosey feel is gone in Comfort mode at higher speeds. Has yours had all the service campaigns taken care of?
I haven't had any service campaigns done in regards to the engine mounts that I know of, haven't had any noises coming from the engine mounts or diff either. Mine has never felt loose like you described though. Could always feel a difference in the mounts in different drive modes since new. Maybe I'll just get my wheels rebalanced to see if that fixes the issue since I did get new tires a few months back
Old 02-22-2024, 02:38 PM

C63s W205

My car would thud when I hit the gas or let go very loud. At first I thought it was because of tq level. When I went to check it I noticed my engine mount on my driver side was missing the screw , and it became threaded so that’s why I had to replace. I don’t know why they said drop the engine maybe so they charge the 22 hours labor? But it took less than a hour to do on the driver side , passenger side is even easier because nothing is in the way.

Last edited by LR63s; 02-22-2024 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-22-2024, 02:48 PM

C63s W205
Hi,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qb0WrxMkl40

I have 2015 46K miles (22k miles my ownership 3yrs)
main battery
aux battery
driver side engine mount
one ignition coil
all spark plugs
2 rear driver side axles
differential
Old 02-22-2024, 03:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
I haven't had any service campaigns done in regards to the engine mounts that I know of, haven't had any noises coming from the engine mounts or diff either. Mine has never felt loose like you described though. Could always feel a difference in the mounts in different drive modes since new. Maybe I'll just get my wheels rebalanced to see if that fixes the issue since I did get new tires a few months back
I would check that all the service campaigns have been done. There were three if I remember correctly. It's in a thread around here along with the service campaign numbers. I'll post it if I find it again. The campaigns were for the AMG Drive Unit, not specifically the engine mounts or the diff. The AMG Drive Unit basically wasn't controlling the settings correctly for the engine mounts and the diff.

Yeah, if you haven't done so, get the tires road force balanced and rule that out first. Spin balancing doesn't align the high and low points of the tires with the wheels and road force balancing will also bring to light if you have a bent wheel or the tire is faulty. You wanna get the road force below 20 and ideally below 10.
Old 02-23-2024, 01:48 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 C63S / 2007 350Z
When were the service campaigns rolled out?
Old 02-23-2024, 02:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2019 C63CS
Originally Posted by frostydc4
When were the service campaigns rolled out?
Summer 2020. I found the one related to the engine mounts.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...79973-9999.pdf
Old 02-23-2024, 03:16 AM

2019 C63S Sedan
Summer 2020. I found the one related to the engine mounts.

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...79973-9999.pdf
Thanks. Will get it all checked at next service.
Old 02-24-2024, 01:28 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
W205 C63 S
MY 2017 with only 38k miles so far owned since 2019. Personally never experienced any of these issues. Only front bumper trim is fading, some interior squeaks, and recently the Assisted Brake Function is Limited warning came on which I read is just a software update. Hopefully I won't run into these issues, car has been a blast to own so far.
Old 04-22-2024, 01:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C205 C63s AMG
Originally Posted by LR63s
My car would thud when I hit the gas or let go very loud. At first I thought it was because of tq level. When I went to check it I noticed my engine mount on my driver side was missing the screw , and it became threaded so that’s why I had to replace. I don’t know why they said drop the engine maybe so they charge the 22 hours labor? But it took less than a hour to do on the driver side , passenger side is even easier because nothing is in the way.
I heard the same thing, but upon taking a look at the mounts location it doesn't seem that bad? Much easier than the w204 generation. Also what where did you find the torque specs for the 3 lower bolts and the one up top? Ive been looking everywhere but cant find anything. Thank you!

Last edited by sammyboy_dds; 04-22-2024 at 01:20 PM. Reason: add quote

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.

Quick Reply: Common problems M177