Dealership asking for OEM wheels back after I drove off the lot...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2018, 10:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300>GLA45>E43>CLS53
Exclamation Dealership asking for OEM wheels back after I drove off the lot...

In a bit of a situation here. Went in to negotiate a trade in on one of my currently financed vehicles. Signed off on a new finance and took delivery of it. As I was driving off the lot with my new car. Dealership calls me back asking me to return the OEM rims/wheels of my trade in. Mind you again, this was a financed vehicle I was trading in. I drove the vehicle into the dealership with the aftermarket rims/wheels and was given the trade in value. The dealership now saying they assessed the value based on if the OEM rims/wheels were put back on. I've been asking so many of my automotive friends and they all told me to ignore the dealership. I never signed anything agreeing I would be returning the vehicle with the OEM rims/wheels because I drove the vehicle in with the aftermarket and was provided with the value of the vehicle's current state/condition/appearance. Nor did the dealership ever asked me at anytime if the trade in would include the set of OEM rims/wheels.

Just want anyone who can shine some light on this or have any experience. I know for a fact that this is completely different if it was a leased vehicle. There is a certain checklist that needs to be done during the time the lease is returned.

Thanks all! Happy New Year!
Old 12-31-2018, 11:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 118 Likes on 109 Posts
2012 C300 4Matic Sport Sedan
lol I think there trying to pull a fast on on you. personally if they didn't ask at the time I would not return them, they usually base the car value on how it currently sits.

I went to go see what they would offer on trade they told me they would take it with the mods BUT if i wanted they would give me for the same price if i returned it to stock.

Happy New Year!
The following users liked this post:
jackyff8 (01-01-2019)
Old 12-31-2018, 11:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 135 Posts
02w163ML500 / 97w210E50AMG / 99w202C230k / 95w124500e-wip
Originally Posted by jackyff8
In a bit of a situation here. Went in to negotiate a trade in on one of my currently financed vehicles. Signed off on a new finance and took delivery of it. As I was driving off the lot with my new car. Dealership calls me back asking me to return the OEM rims/wheels of my trade in. Mind you again, this was a financed vehicle I was trading in. I drove the vehicle into the dealership with the aftermarket rims/wheels and was given the trade in value. The dealership now saying they assessed the value based on if the OEM rims/wheels were put back on. I've been asking so many of my automotive friends and they all told me to ignore the dealership. I never signed anything agreeing I would be returning the vehicle with the OEM rims/wheels because I drove the vehicle in with the aftermarket and was provided with the value of the vehicle's current state/condition/appearance. Nor did the dealership ever asked me at anytime if the trade in would include the set of OEM rims/wheels.

Just want anyone who can shine some light on this or have any experience. I know for a fact that this is completely different if it was a leased vehicle. There is a certain checklist that needs to be done during the time the lease is returned.

Thanks all! Happy New Year!
Ignore them, or respond to them; Thank you I decline your offer.
They have no recourse. If it's not explicitly noted in the contract, it's not part of the contract nor is it implied. IF you return it to them, then you do so voluntarily accepting their implied terms.
jackyff8 (01-01-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 08:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 731 Likes on 546 Posts
2015 E400 Sedan
Contracts are contracts so read what you signed....
Never know if they slipped something in there.

Did they ask about stock wheels aka how do they know if yo uhave them?

I would ignore them but your relationship with them for anything in future may be harmed unless they forget it....
So hopefully another dealer nearby
jackyff8 (01-01-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 10:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BMW 335i, 2015 GTI
Why do you want to keep the oem wheels from another car?
jackyff8 (01-01-2019)
Old 01-01-2019, 01:01 PM

C300>GLA45>E43>CLS53
Well. I purchased the vehicle from them, now going back to trade in the vehicle and purchase a new one.

They are just reaching out to me by phone, nothing written nor any paperwork stating OEM wheels to be returned as part of the trade in.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:03 PM

C300>GLA45>E43>CLS53
Originally Posted by thxrick
Why do you want to keep the oem wheels from another car?
i had plans to use them on this current (new) vehicle. Its a direct fitment. My stand is that doesn't matter what I keep or not keep. If they wanted a specific item in the car when its returned. They should have stated in and put in contact and I should have been notified instead of calling me after the fact.
Old 01-01-2019, 01:05 PM

C300>GLA45>E43>CLS53
Originally Posted by khomer2
Ignore them, or respond to them; Thank you I decline your offer.
They have no recourse. If it's not explicitly noted in the contract, it's not part of the contract nor is it implied. IF you return it to them, then you do so voluntarily accepting their implied terms.
Should I be firm and just say no, i'm keeping them unless you have something that we mutually signed agreeing I will be returning the vehicle with the stated OEM rims?

Thanks
Old 01-01-2019, 01:09 PM

C300>GLA45>E43>CLS53
Originally Posted by MB Marko
lol I think there trying to pull a fast on on you. personally if they didn't ask at the time I would not return them, they usually base the car value on how it currently sits.

I went to go see what they would offer on trade they told me they would take it with the mods BUT if i wanted they would give me for the same price if i returned it to stock.

Happy New Year!

Thanks Marko. I'm getting the idea on this forum that the consensus are is to ignore them lol. I reached out to my friend and he said don't sweat it. They won't have any recourse against you.
But to be fair. I'm not sure how the trade in even works. To my understanding. The day I arrived at the dealership, my finance loan was already paid out. I didn't even have to sign anything. They did not even ask me to sign the back of my (about to be trade in vehicle) ownership. All I was signing for was documents for the new vehicle.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 699 Likes on 532 Posts
go fast grocery getter wagon
hmm. when I traded in my porsche SUV, my mb dealer asked me specifically to have the OEM wheels to be put back on but it was not written onto the new car sales agreement. Since it was only mentioned verbally, I could have done what you did too.

Since you said the dealer never spoke to you on this matter on the day of the trade in assessment, I think dealer has no case on you.
Old 01-13-2019, 07:53 PM

C300>GLA45>E43>CLS53
Got my problem resolved. Thanks, Gentlemen
Old 01-13-2019, 09:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 151 Likes on 129 Posts
2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet NEW Mercedes 2020 GLC300 graphite gray SUV
Originally Posted by jackyff8
Got my problem resolved. Thanks, Gentlemen
Curious, how did you resolve it?
Old 01-18-2019, 02:56 PM

C300>GLA45>E43>CLS53
Originally Posted by rustybear3
Curious, how did you resolve it?
Hi Rusty,

Basically, I was being upfront and honest with them. I told them I had not signed anything regarding putting back on the OEM summer wheels when I brought the car in for the assessment. Mind you, they had never mentioned verbally nor through any literature as well.
Therefore, I am completely unaware of this "normal procedure". Without knowing this ahead of time during the time of negotiation and even leading up to the delivery of my new vehicle, I had already purchased winter tires specifically for them already and I would be at a lost if I had returned them.

I stood my grounds, providing them with my reason.