Cigars Forum for cigar aficionados, reviews of top cigars world wide.

Any smokers?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 11:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 428 Likes on 353 Posts
MB’s
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by AMGfan
Raining all day in not so sunny Florida...detailed the cars and organized my garage, setup my air compressor (makes detailing a car so much easier), and hung out with my chocolate lab while smoking a Padron 1964 Torpedo and Arturo Fuente BTL (Between the Lines)...

The cigars look fantastic! Glad to see the GTR is home sweet home I hope the rain does not effect our golf game when I come down in July. Looking foward to playing River Strand and hacking them away again
Old 06-12-2013, 11:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Talking

Originally Posted by Kreuzfeuer
Well folks, I found my first Tatuaje/DPG smoke that I didn't like... the Tatuaje "White label" w/ sumatra wrapper. The draw was simply too open... like, breathing through a PVC pipe open. As a result, the cigar burned quick and hot. Flavor was grassy, with some roasted nuts. Would not recommend.

Annoyed, I went into my local B&M Thursday night and picked up a few more Liga Privadas... a #9, and two T-52s. One of the T52s was significantly darker than the other one... both were rolled by the same roller (according to the box) but there's a marked difference. Letting them chill in the humi for a bit before I tear into them. Also picked up the brown label Tatuaje... original and still best of that brand.

That same night, I smoked the Dirty Rat. What a little powerhouse... As usual with the Unico Serie cigars, TONS of smoke. First half was very spicy, second half mellowed to a sweet chocolate taste. Unusually strong little fella. Loved it, and would recommend.

Tonight, I smoked the Aroma De Cuba Mi Amor Reserva. Not only is the name a mouthful, but I didn't like it as much as the ADC Mi Amor. To me, the Mi Amor is perfect -- tons of flavor, but tons of balance. The Mi Amor Reserva is touted as being "more of what makes the Mi Amor great". While the flavor was certainly delicious, the ash broke on two different occasions after an inch (landing on my jeans each time) and the burn took some babysitting. Definitely a spicier Mi Amor, and for those reasons I prefer the mid-range Mi Amor over the Reserva.

Finally, the awesome wife strikes again... She ordered me a new Xikar lighter to match the Liga Privada ashtray.
If those Liga Privada's just happen to get stolen do not come knocking at my door

I too have found the T52'S Darker and even stronger as well!
Old 06-12-2013, 12:21 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
SRT-6
Originally Posted by C280 Sport
If those Liga Privada's just happen to get stolen do not come knocking at my door

I too have found the T52'S Darker and even stronger as well!
LOL you got it man... I just noticed, CI is COMPLETELY SOLD OUT of Ligas!!!

Feels bad, man. I was about to order some five-packs, too...

However, I saw on their news feed yesterday that they have a new facility opening up, which should increase production significantly.

Jon -- Classic smokes as always... and that shoe collection is insane LOL. Got word that my local B&M might be getting some Arturo Fuente Anejos in stock within another month or so... I plan on buying a few to try, as I've never had one.
Old 06-12-2013, 02:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Cool little Xikar knife and cutter I picked up...Amazon.com damn you!!!

Old 06-12-2013, 10:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 SL65 / 97 993tt /11 Suburban/ 2012 GTR (AMG è la mia Famiglia la Bestia è la mia protezione)
Incoming boxes:

Fuente Fuente Opus X Lost City Lancero
Fuente Fuente Opus X Lost City Robusto
Fuente Fuente Opus X Lost City Toro
Liga Privada UF13 Dark
Pinar Del Rio Small Batch Reserve Maduro
Montecristo Media Noche No 2 Torpedo Maduro
EP Carrillo New Wave Short Run 2012 Nitidos
Old 06-12-2013, 11:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Damn bots...I smoke real tobacco.
Old 06-13-2013, 11:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 W211 E350 AMG Sport PKG
Incoming boxes:

Fuente Fuente Opus X Lost City Lancero
Fuente Fuente Opus X Lost City Robusto
Fuente Fuente Opus X Lost City Toro
Liga Privada UF13 Dark
Pinar Del Rio Small Batch Reserve Maduro
Montecristo Media Noche No 2 Torpedo Maduro
EP Carrillo New Wave Short Run 2012 Nitidos
such a baller...that's over $1000 in stogies alone. share your deep pockets with us please

would you be willing to sell any sticks from your incoming batch ?
Old 06-13-2013, 11:37 AM

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts
1992 500E, 1994 E500, 2011 E550 and 2018 GLE350
Never been much for Opus fan. I have a dozen or so of nicely aged ones and a box or so of anejo's in my humi. I'm an ISOM man, what can I say. When forced to smoke domestics I land on Fuente's though.
Old 06-14-2013, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

@09W211...PM me.

While waiting on an oil change...2007 Cuaba Tradicionales...first time I've tried this...WOW! For a small smoke...it is sneaky strong...but smooth.

Old 06-14-2013, 04:36 PM

SRT-6
I have a good friend from TX sending me one of these in exchange for some other services... how are they?
Attached Thumbnails Any smokers?-992888_10200171696756873_609410831_n.jpg  
Old 06-16-2013, 10:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Thumbs up Happy Fathers Day!!

To all the MBWorld Cigar guys! Hope everyone took some time today to give thanks to their fathers and remember all they have done for us

I ended taking my father of 74 years golfing today. Enjoyed some wonderful smokes today on the course with my brother, father and a family friend. Enjoyed great smokes all weekend as well. My youngest sister went to her Senior Prom last night so of course I had to light one up for that as well at a pre prom party.

My father enjoyed a wonderful Padron 1926#9 Maduro. After hitting a monster straight 200+ yard drive he lite up and started calling himself "Big Poppa Padron" Any smokers?-pappa-padron.jpg Enjoyed this San Carlos(Great Economy stick)Any smokers?-san-carlos.jpgAny smokers?-padron-1964.jpgAny smokers?-cafe-con-leche.jpg Amazing Cafe Con Leche! I am on back-order for a box from CI.Com Any smokers?-liga-9.jpg Liga Privada #9 Toro

My brother enjoyed a Romeo Y Julietta 1875 cabinet selection
Our family friend I hooked him up with a Arturo Fuente Hemingway he fell in love with!

Last edited by C280 Sport; 06-16-2013 at 10:02 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 07:04 PM

been pretty dead here for the past 3 days...what's everyone been smoking lately?
Old 06-19-2013, 09:02 PM

Here are a few from my collection.
The first picture is a box of cigars handed out at the Habanos Festival in Havana 2008. All of these cigars are fantastic cigars selected for the festival. You'll notice the slots are routered out to fit each cigar in a beautiful black laquer box.
The second picture is a Partagas Series 4 Reserva 2000. A very rare and delightful cigar. They only made 5000 black laquer boxes and each box is numbered.
The third picture is the Partagas Culebras (three cigars wrapped together). You untwist them and smoke each one individually. A very flavorful and fun cigar. They come in a box of nine with three cigars in each individual coffin.
Attached Thumbnails Any smokers?-habanos-festival-2008.jpg   Any smokers?-partagas-d4-reserva.jpg   Any smokers?-culumbra.jpg  

Last edited by ilovemaui1; 06-19-2013 at 09:14 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 09:44 PM

an interesting looking collection to say the least. especially the 3 sticks wrapped around each other...
Old 06-20-2013, 01:03 AM

SRT-6
Those are some killer sticks, lovemaui!!

I broke my own rule two days ago -- I bought a box without even trying one!!!

But the deal was so good, I felt courageous. I've noticed my cigars have become more frequent... lacking the liquid cash to burn a $10-$15 stick every time, I needed a good ~$3 fallback smoke. You know, one to burn on a Tuesday for no good reason.

I bought the Pinar Del Rio Reserva Limitada... a smoke that has gotten a ton of positive customer reviews, and that's not just on CI's site -- I Googled the stick and found one review after another mentioning a bold smoke, with lots of complexity and an underlying molasses note. Of the reviewers that mentioned 'spice', the spice they were referring to was cinnamon. So we have a cigar that has notes of cinnamon, oak, molasses, nutmeg, etc... for $2.49 a stick!!!

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/c...erva-limitada/

I bought a box of robustos... I figured that was a safe gamble and would be just the ticket for the quick weekday smokes. When I want to be treated to two hours of deliciousness, I'll reach for a Liga/Padron/Tatuaje.

Make no mistake, I'm not expecting Liga flavor. But even if they're just "good"... $2.50 a stick is hard to argue with.

Box is due to arrive tomorrow... All the reviewers say they ship pretty wet, so I will likely let it rest for a few days before trying the first one. Apparently, age helps these things because many reviewers said the PDR was delicious after about 6-8 months in the humi.

Will report back soon
Old 06-20-2013, 10:29 AM

I have a box of Pinar Del Rio Reserva Limitada Robusto in my humidor, or I should say what is left of a box. The cigar is a spitting image of the Partagas Series 4 right down to the triple cap. The cigars are very well constructed and the wrapper has a very nice oiled finish. If you've ever smoked a Partagas Series 4 your eyes will have you convinced this is the same cigar. The taste will tell you it is not, but it is a decent smoke wrapped to look like a Partagas from head to foot. It is not a cigar I could go to every day, but that is just me.

I also met the owner at a local brick and mortar shop a few weeks ago. PDR makes a nice cigar. It is not a cuban but not bad at all, especially for that price. You will pay $10 for that cigar at the local B&M.

I curiously await your review.

Last edited by ilovemaui1; 06-20-2013 at 10:35 AM.
Old 06-20-2013, 12:36 PM

Those are some killer sticks, lovemaui!!

I broke my own rule two days ago -- I bought a box without even trying one!!!

But the deal was so good, I felt courageous. I've noticed my cigars have become more frequent... lacking the liquid cash to burn a $10-$15 stick every time, I needed a good ~$3 fallback smoke. You know, one to burn on a Tuesday for no good reason.

I bought the Pinar Del Rio Reserva Limitada... a smoke that has gotten a ton of positive customer reviews, and that's not just on CI's site -- I Googled the stick and found one review after another mentioning a bold smoke, with lots of complexity and an underlying molasses note. Of the reviewers that mentioned 'spice', the spice they were referring to was cinnamon. So we have a cigar that has notes of cinnamon, oak, molasses, nutmeg, etc... for $2.49 a stick!!!

http://www.cigarsinternational.com/c...erva-limitada/

I bought a box of robustos... I figured that was a safe gamble and would be just the ticket for the quick weekday smokes. When I want to be treated to two hours of deliciousness, I'll reach for a Liga/Padron/Tatuaje.

Make no mistake, I'm not expecting Liga flavor. But even if they're just "good"... $2.50 a stick is hard to argue with.

Box is due to arrive tomorrow... All the reviewers say they ship pretty wet, so I will likely let it rest for a few days before trying the first one. Apparently, age helps these things because many reviewers said the PDR was delicious after about 6-8 months in the humi.

Will report back soon
ha, i did the same with the ramon bueso genesis the project box. but it was not a bad purchase at all at $60 for a box of 20 sticks. definitely a good every day relatively quick smoke. looking to hear your experience with the PDR as i've read good things about their smokes.
Old 06-20-2013, 01:48 PM

SRT-6
Originally Posted by ilovemaui1
I have a box of Pinar Del Rio Reserva Limitada Robusto in my humidor, or I should say what is left of a box. The cigar is a spitting image of the Partagas Series 4 right down to the triple cap. The cigars are very well constructed and the wrapper has a very nice oiled finish. If you've ever smoked a Partagas Series 4 your eyes will have you convinced this is the same cigar. The taste will tell you it is not, but it is a decent smoke wrapped to look like a Partagas from head to foot. It is not a cigar I could go to every day, but that is just me.

I also met the owner at a local brick and mortar shop a few weeks ago. PDR makes a nice cigar. It is not a cuban but not bad at all, especially for that price. You will pay $10 for that cigar at the local B&M.

I curiously await your review.
See, THAT'S what I want to hear. I've had the Partagas Series 4, and rather enjoyed it. So if it's close to that, I'm a happy camper. Will definitely keep you posted.

Originally Posted by 09W211
ha, i did the same with the ramon bueso genesis the project box. but it was not a bad purchase at all at $60 for a box of 20 sticks. definitely a good every day relatively quick smoke. looking to hear your experience with the PDR as i've read good things about their smokes.
I was between the PDR, Obsidian, and the Genesis for my "fallback smokes" purchase. I went with the PDR simply because of the many reviews mentioning "spicy molasses". That being said, the Genesis is one I've been meaning to try, and I've heard equally excellent things about it.

I opted not to buy the Obsidian simply because of the price of the PDR.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:39 PM

See, THAT'S what I want to hear. I've had the Partagas Series 4, and rather enjoyed it. So if it's close to that, I'm a happy camper. Will definitely keep you posted.

I was between the PDR, Obsidian, and the Genesis for my "fallback smokes" purchase. I went with the PDR simply because of the many reviews mentioning "spicy molasses". That being said, the Genesis is one I've been meaning to try, and I've heard equally excellent things about it.

I opted not to buy the Obsidian simply because of the price of the PDR.
Don't expect P4 taste but it will look almost identical. "spicy molasses" does not come to mind when I smoke a PDR, but I don't think I've ever read a review that described a cigar the same way my palate experienced it. Typically I only smoke domestics when I have to or if it really strikes my fancy, which isn't very often. I am almost always disappointed especially when they cost more than an ISOM. For $2.50 a stick the PDR is steal.
Old 06-20-2013, 09:12 PM

I just noticed the ones they have on sale are not the Small Batch Habanos. I have not tried the Limitada.
Old 06-21-2013, 12:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Post dinner cigar...EP Carillo Short Run...very nice cigar that burned well, perfect draw, and ash was fantastic. Medium bodied and very creamy...

The long weekend stash...I think I got all the bases covered...
Old 06-21-2013, 01:46 AM

SRT-6
The long weekend stash...I think I got all the bases covered...
Outstanding as always!!
Old 06-21-2013, 02:06 AM

SRT-6
Originally Posted by ilovemaui1
Don't expect P4 taste but it will look almost identical. "spicy molasses" does not come to mind when I smoke a PDR, but I don't think I've ever read a review that described a cigar the same way my palate experienced it. Typically I only smoke domestics when I have to or if it really strikes my fancy, which isn't very often. I am almost always disappointed especially when they cost more than an ISOM. For $2.50 a stick the PDR is steal.

I just noticed the ones they have on sale are not the Small Batch Habanos. I have not tried the Limitada.
Well gentlemen, I got the box in tonight and was very pleasantly surprised. First of all, the box is humble but nicely appointed. The cigars are sleeved in plastic (meh) but the presentation is very nice. I took one of the cigars out, and the aroma is interesting. Not as "rich" as I was expecting, but you could detect the sweetness.

I lit one of these up tonight out of sheer impatience and curiosity. Let me tell you -- for these to be as green as they are (ROTB), I was VERY impressed. Draw was perfect -- not too free, but not tight at all. Construction is solid. Not Liga Privada perfect, but Arturo Fuente solid. Being a Dominican smoke, it had the basic feel/texture of a AF/Montecristo. A similar oily sheen as well.

Taste -- complex, and different with each puff. This is a busy cigar, due partly to the 8 (yes, eight) fillers used. But the flavors didn't clash. Each puff brought a new note, eventually rotating between sweetness, cinnamon, and an oaky, leathery note. The whole time I'm smoking it, I'm thinking "This tastes just like an Arturo Fuente Reserva Gran Rosada". And that's precisely what this cigar reminded me of, down to the ridiculously solid, grey ash and razor-sharp burn. Over the course of the whole smoke, I never had to grab the lighter to even up the burn.

The smoke trailing off the foot smelled fantastic. It didn't come close to the DPG aroma, BUT when I came back inside and walked by my wife, she commented on how good I smelled. Always a good thing.

Overall, this reminded me a LOT of the AF Chateau Fuente Queen I smoked a few months ago, but with some added spice. I'd rank this as a medium cigar in boldness, but medium-full in strength.

I would be satisfied with this stick even if it came out to $6-$7 each. But at $2.49 a pop, it's an absolute BARGAIN.

If you have $50 to burn, grab a box before they go off sale. You won't be mad.

All the best,

John
Attached Thumbnails Any smokers?-imag3431.jpg   Any smokers?-imag3433-1.jpg   Any smokers?-imag3438.jpg   Any smokers?-imag3440.jpg   Any smokers?-imag3444.jpg  

Old 06-21-2013, 10:14 AM

Nice review. If you walked by your wife and she commented about how good you smelled, that is definitely a good thing. I think in 30 years of marriage I got that once and that was after a shower. My wife runs when I light up and grimaces when I return from smoking.

Last edited by ilovemaui1; 06-21-2013 at 10:21 AM.
Old 06-21-2013, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB’s
Originally Posted by 09W211
an interesting looking collection to say the least. especially the 3 sticks wrapped around each other...
I wonder what the experience is like smoking those things. They look crazy and a lot of fun!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 1.00 average.