CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

MB Newbie needs a hand: 2001 CL600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-11-2005 | 12:14 PM

SL65 AMG
MB Newbie needs a hand: 2001 CL600

Hey fellas, I appreciate any help here.

I'm thinking of buying a 2001 CL600. Silver with charcoal interior. (Suede everywhere.) It's in flawless condition bodywise, and has 30K miles on the engine. Clean CarFax. All service by MBUSA. The car is now out of warranty, and I would purchase it from a private exotics dealer.

Foregoing all the commentary about how much car this is for a first-timer like me (trust me, I've lost enough sleep over that), I'm really hoping to hear from you owners out there about:
- any problems or issues you have had with your 2001 CL
- what you feel fair market value would be
- what type of warranty I should require from the private dealer
- exit options, i.e., when it comes time to sell it, how?
- ANYthing I might not know enough to ask about

Regarding that last point, I believe that I am buying the car at less than fair market value, and have been told this by numerous sources (of varying degrees of trust). I thought it best to hear from actual owners though. I would pay $53K for the car. My idea is that I would love it for maybe a year, then sell it and either not loose too much, or perhaps make a couple of bucks.

Please share your honest opinions, and soon! Like all opportunities, this one isn't waiting very long for my decision.

Thank you!
-V
Old 03-12-2005 | 08:21 PM

NSX
Well I just purchased one after literally 2 years of reasearch, so for the time being I am somewhat of an expert on this car and its pricing. The price you are paying seems low, but it really does depend on what options the car has.

Mileage means a lot on this car. 30K is low for other cars, but 30K is average for this year and car, at best. You can find high milage ones for much less money, so they don't sell well with high miles. If you are thinking resale, keep this in mind.

Also the options matter a lot, I don't know what your car has.

The options available are parktronic, distronic, Tire pressure monitoring system, keyless go (late model 2001), CL2 sport package (AMG package and probably the most important option).

The best selling most desired color combo, is the one you are looking at. Black exterior sells too, other colors do not sell as well.

What I would warn you about most is that you are buying a model essentialy out if warranty. You may get a good deal now, but one or two repairs later on this car and your bargain price is out the door. This car is very expensive to repair (especially the 600). One month after I bought mine I had several under warranty repairs, to the tune of around $6000. Luckily, it was under warranty. Mine is a late 2002 and I bought it certified pre-owned and paid an extra $4000 for a warranty that transfers to the next owner. This will definitely add to its resale value.

I inquired into many aftermarket warranties... and the concensus was that none are very good, and most of the time they DO NOT want to pay out. Its better than nothing, but this is another warning for you.

I am not trying to turn you off to the car, it is an amazing car, but you are better off spending more money now than saving now and paying it out later. Buy the right car. Like I said, it took me almost 2 years of research and patience.

By the way "book values" on this car are fiction. Real market prices are lower than book especially on the 600.

If you want to tell me more about the car, I can give you an honest opinion regarding its price.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by AMG2GO; 03-12-2005 at 08:28 PM.
Old 03-13-2005 | 01:23 PM

SL65 AMG
Thanks, AMG2GO

Very helpful, I appreciate it. I'm going to confirm more details on the car tomorrow, but I do know already that it has the CL2 AMG Sport Package. I'll get back to you tomorrow regarding the Parktronic and Distronic, tire pressure monitor, and anything else. I doubt it has Keyless Go if that was an end 2001 option, because this car entered service in late 2000.

Best,
-V
Old 03-13-2005 | 02:14 PM

NSX
To look for the option is easy, but if you ask they may not know. For parktronic look for the sensors on the bumpers and the LED meters on dash and rear roofliner. Distronic will have two switches to the left of the gearshift lever. If there are no switches in the wood console to the left of the lever, its not there (it is a rare option). TPS is activated through the steering wheel buttons, get on the mode that shows the milage, Using the lower left rocker. Then click up using the upper left rocker... your first mode will show when the next service is due, I believe the second will show the pressures, with a little "car" on the screen. You would be very lucky if keylass go is there, the button is on top of the gear selector and it says "engine start/stop", it really started to show up in 2002.

The price is good if it has the CL2. I would seriously consider it. Its just a risk with the warranty issue. You may get lucky and nothing may go wrong... but like I said the smallest thing on this car costs a lot to fix. But then thats why you get a $137,000 car with 30K miles for 53K.
Old 03-15-2005 | 08:09 PM

SL65 AMG
Sold!

Hey AMG2GO,

I pulled the trigger on the CL600, thanks for the input and advice. In the end, what did it for me was taking the car to a local MB dealer and having essentially the CPO check done on it. I left it there yesterday, hence the delay of this post. Anyways, this morning, the service manager pulled me aside and said, look, this car is PERFECT. He showed me the entire service history of the car and said at that price (down to 50K) it was pretty much a no brainer. He added that if I weren't gonna lose a friend (the seller) over it, I should just buy it and drive it straight to the StarMark showroom where'd they'd give me a lot more than 50 for it. I was also smiling when I realized that guy that owned the car previously had left his numbers programmed in the TimePort: he had the number of ExecJet in there, so this guy was the chips all right... Combined with the white hairs I found (older guy), the "caution" tag still attached to the passenger's seat belt insert and ZERO wear on the passenger door latch (only he drove it and never had a passenger), it makes sense the car is in the condition it's in.

The car doesn't have the Keyless Go, which is fine with me actually. I like the leather top on the shifter just fine. Also, it does not have the Parktronic or Distronic systems - also fine, less potential for electrical issues, in my book.

So there ya have it. I can now offically lose the question mark from the "what car I drive" item in the profile.

I'm one happy fella right now. Thanks again brother.
-V
Old 03-16-2005 | 01:50 PM

NSX
Ok you stole it for 50. That is really cheap. Even if you spend some on repairs you are still going to be well ahead.

Congrats man... welcome to the club. Post some pics when you can.
Old 03-16-2005 | 05:28 PM

SL500 2003 previous/ E350 2007 actually
I also want to see pics of your car and congratulations.
Old 03-16-2005 | 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

M6 Gran Coupe
I agree good steal. With the 3k you saved, you would be a fool not to use that money and buy a bumper to bumper extended warranty though. With 53k and that warranty, you have an even bigger steal.
Old 03-17-2005 | 11:08 AM

NSX
I agree on the warranty. Especially if it transfers to the next owner. One repair can cost you that much. They just replaced the engine computer in my 02. And the wiring harness.... do you know what that is out of warranty? Just make sure you go with a good company. There are a lot of shady warranty companies out there.
Old 03-18-2005 | 04:06 AM

SL65 AMG
You fellas definitely know how to make a guy feel welcome! Thanks for the continuing advice.

As it relates to the warranty, the car came with a 6-month, bumper to bumper no BS warranty. After that, I'll pick up another extended warranty from the local MB dealer. I met with the business manager when I took the car there to get checked out prior to purchase. Straight shooter, he seemed. Doesn't (won't) sell a warranty that's not complete coverage. 1 year was $2400, 2 is $3200, 3 is like $3600 and 4 is less than $4000, if memory serves. They convey with the sale of the car, private buyer only - no dealers.

I'll post some pics as soon as I can guys. Promise. I literally just got my first digital camera last night. I was always a 35mm film guy... hard these days.

Here's a few quick items I'd love pointers on...
- The Navtech CDs are hit or miss when I insert them. Sometimes they take, other times it says no nav cd. Is this common?
- It's a got an ol' Moto Timeport flip phone in the console... ANY chance to use another phone instead, or am I limited to this phone with Verizon? (I'm a Cingular customer from before the ATT merger.)

Actually, that's all I can think of now. I'm sure there's so much I don't know about this thing, that I just don't know what to ask yet. I'm up at this hour thumbing through the manuals for the car, COMAND, voice activation....... I'll get there.

Thanks again, guys. Great board.
-V
Old 03-18-2005 | 04:23 AM

CL 600 Bi-Turbo
congrats on the 600 it is a joy.
the navtech cd's may just need a clean, give it a go.
Old 03-18-2005 | 08:02 PM

NSX
yeah I have had iffy-ness with my NAV CD too... but it always takes the second time. You might want to upgrade it. The car is an 01. Some guy on this forum (VINAMG) gets good prices, he is getting me the 2005 disc, if you want I can give you his e-mail.

As for the phone, you can buy an MB phone that is TDMA and it will work with Cingular. You can find them on e-bay. It will cost you around $200. Maybe less if you look. Check out this site:

www.mikbox.com

Also, did you get the car from an MB dealer? I don't see how else you would get that warranty. You can't just go to a dealer and say sell me a warranty unless the car is a CPO (certified Pre Owned) sold by MB.

But that is the best warranty. I did buy the $4000 one for my car (my car was CPO). And I think it was well worth it. One repair can cost that much... and come sell time, your car will sell better with that. If you can get an MB warranty, do it. As soon as possible.

That is correct your warranty will transfer to an individual, but not once its traded in to a dealer (its void then).
Old 03-23-2005 | 04:35 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

VIPER
Originally Posted by AMG2GO
Also, did you get the car from an MB dealer? I don't see how else you would get that warranty. You can't just go to a dealer and say sell me a warranty unless the car is a CPO (certified Pre Owned) sold by MB.
I would also like to know about this. With the current price of some MBs, if a person can go to the dealer and buy a 3year warranty for 3600, its a even better deal!

Congrats on the new car btw.
Old 03-24-2005 | 10:38 AM

SL65 AMG
Update...

Sirees, I tried giving the CD a good wipedown - no joy. I may just need a new disc. It seems to be the worst with the New England disc. Go figure, that's the one I need. Thanks for the tip though.

AMG2GO, thanks as always... I'll swing through a benz dealer and see if a new CD works and if so, I'll take you up on your offer for that email address. Regarding the phone, I took a look at the Mik-Box page and like what I see. I figure I'll add a line for 10 bucks to my Cingular family plan , stick a Moto V600 I've got lying around here on that new number, and just forward my "real" phone to it when I'm in the car. Beats turning up new service on another provider, and Cingular won't mix TDMA and GSM in the same plan.

Now, about this warranty. It's a warranty that Benz OEMs, if you will, from a top-shelf third party. The actual "coverage" is provided by the third party, but all the work is done by the MB dealer, in their MB service bays, by their own MB people. They just get reimbursed by the warranty company. The business manager at the dealer told me straight up that there is NOTHING electrical, mechanical, structural, etc. that this warranty won't cover - he won't sell the lower grade plans that leave some big ticket items out.

As for the pics? Hehe... I got some good ones BUT my freaking Win2K PC is not compatible with my new (my first!) digital camera. I'll upload to a friend's PC when I can and post.

Ciao for now,
-V
Old 03-24-2005 | 11:41 AM

NSX
V, I am getting an updated new england DVD soon, you can have the one from my 02 if you want it when I get the new one.

about this warranty, I have never heard of such a thing... an MB dealer selling an aftermarket warranty, then servicing it themselves?!!! I have never heard of that.... I am sure many people on this forum would love to know what company this is and the costs. Please share that info.

Last edited by AMG2GO; 03-24-2005 at 08:40 PM.
Old 03-25-2005 | 02:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

M6 Gran Coupe
I think that is common. The aftermarket warranty I have, I can take it anywhere, even the Benz dealer, and have them work on it. The warranty people then pay the Benz dealer. I originally bought my warranty from a Bentley dealer and my deductible is $200, and the Bentley dealer pays half of that if I bring it to them for service.
Old 03-25-2005 | 07:31 PM

NSX
Yeah but he is saying it is the BENZ dealer selling him this... thats whats hard to understand.
Old 03-29-2005 | 11:26 PM

SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by AMG2GO
about this warranty, I have never heard of such a thing... an MB dealer selling an aftermarket warranty, then servicing it themselves?!!! I have never heard of that.... I am sure many people on this forum would love to know what company this is and the costs. Please share that info.
Happy Easter, if that's your thing... I was away with family down in VA, just got back. I pulled the paperwork on the warranty, here's what I've got: the policy is from CNA National Warranty Corp. It's sold by the Benz dealer, at least the one I went to (Huntington, NY). The branding on the policy is "V-Series," and I'm assuming that's the no-nonsense level of service. Again, everything is covered.

AMG2GO, check PM.

Take care all,
-V
Old 03-31-2005 | 09:13 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

VIPER
Originally Posted by Vendetta
Happy Easter, if that's your thing... I was away with family down in VA, just got back. I pulled the paperwork on the warranty, here's what I've got: the policy is from CNA National Warranty Corp. It's sold by the Benz dealer, at least the one I went to (Huntington, NY). The branding on the policy is "V-Series," and I'm assuming that's the no-nonsense level of service. Again, everything is covered.

AMG2GO, check PM.

Take care all,
-V
Thanks Vendetta, I just have another question, what are the parameters of this warranty, i.e. minimum year, max mileage, place of purchase. I ask because I would like to know if a car could be purchased from a personal seller, or auction and taken to the MB dealer (or just contact this company), and have a warranty purchased.

Thanks for all of your help.
Old 04-01-2005 | 12:51 AM

SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by D2
Thanks Vendetta, I just have another question, what are the parameters of this warranty, i.e. minimum year, max mileage, place of purchase. I ask because I would like to know if a car could be purchased from a personal seller, or auction and taken to the MB dealer (or just contact this company), and have a warranty purchased.

Thanks for all of your help.
D2, I'll get you all the details ASAP. I'm heading out of town on Sat and will be back end of next week. Take care, and ciao for now,
-V
Old 04-02-2005 | 07:02 AM

All of them, as much as I can...
V-

Pop out the Nav CD and see if it's a copy (no label). Otherwise, especially if previous owner smoked in the car, it may be time to clean the CD reader. Smoke puts a film onto the laser gizmo on the reader.

I just re-activated the Moto phone that came with the car through Verizon.
As much as I dislike Verizon, I'm on a family plan, something like 2000 combined minutes for $80 a month with 4 phones, free between Verizon users, and free weekends. So adding this phone cost me another $9.99 a month. They downloaded my phonebook for free too, and good idea, I'll just forward my regular calls when I'm in the car.

Hey when in VA, check out the new indoor Kart track in Newport News. It's a hoot.
Old 04-02-2005 | 01:46 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

VIPER
Originally Posted by Vendetta
D2, I'll get you all the details ASAP. I'm heading out of town on Sat and will be back end of next week. Take care, and ciao for now,
-V
Thank you very much, I am compiling all data for my next vehicle purchase (later this / early next year). The top runners are the S430/500, 745i, can CL500 (dream ride).

The 02 745 has a manufacturer 100k mile warranty which is a great value. If a warranty can be purchased for a S or CL for about 3k, it makes them much much more attractive.

Thanks for the assistance, and have a great day.