CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Bose Sound System - 2001 CL600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2005, 05:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 Lorinser Edition CL600 (SOLD)
Bose Sound System - 2001 CL600

Does anyone know the specs on the sound system in an 01 CL600 (watts, etc.)??? I can't find the specs anywhere.
Old 05-07-2005, 06:44 PM

NSX
Originally Posted by CLFREAK
Does anyone know the specs on the sound system in an 01 CL600 (watts, etc.)??? I can't find the specs anywhere.
Do you want to know in real watts? or "Bose" watts?

Bose doesn't print specs. And its for a reason. The glorified clock radio sound sort of speaks for itself. The CL Bose system is pathetic.
Old 05-11-2005, 12:51 AM

2001 Lorinser Edition CL600 (SOLD)
Actually, I think the sound system is pretty damn nice. I just wanted to compare with other systems. I guess I'd need to know the real watts.
Old 05-11-2005, 02:55 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by CLFREAK
Actually, I think the sound system is pretty damn nice. I just wanted to compare with other systems. I guess I'd need to know the real watts.
Yeah, I'd have to agree with you - I think the systems is pretty good for a stock radio in *any* class. I've had a few impossibly expensive audio systems in previous cars and I'll tell you, this one is not terribly outclassed.

Couple of things though - the rear window shade rattles just a bit when it's in the lowered position and the radio's cranked. If you put the shade up, no problems. Another thing is that this car pretty much demands that you drive it with the windows down in nice weather, so the stereo could use a little more umph to sound rich, full, and tight at slightly higher volumes - but again, I think it's pretty darn good for what it is.

-V
Old 05-12-2005, 02:40 AM

NSX
Wow I guess its all relative because I hear all sorts of flaws. From a total lack of deep bass to a nasal midrange. I think I am used to my lexus system that blows this thing away and that car cost less than half this car new... ten years ago. It still sounds better.

I guess if you compare it to some other cars its OK, I just expect better in a $137,000 car.
Old 05-13-2005, 12:43 AM

SL65 AMG
Poll on Audio Settings...

Bass +5
Treble +8
Balance 0
Fader 0

Other settings
I keep it on Driver optimized, and switch to Medium or Large ambient soundstage depending on what I'm listening to.

-V
Old 05-13-2005, 12:45 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by AMG2GO
Wow I guess its all relative because I hear all sorts of flaws. From a total lack of deep bass to a nasal midrange. I think I am used to my lexus system that blows this thing away and that car cost less than half this car new... ten years ago. It still sounds better.

I guess if you compare it to some other cars its OK, I just expect better in a $137,000 car.
Don't worry. I've learned to exclude Lexus' when comparing them to other cars because they are just too perfect.

It'll be hard to find exact specs on Bose products. They are famed to not put any specs for the same reason AMG2GO said; they are just glorified clock radios. I'll try to find out if there's a way to figure out specs by hand though.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:00 PM

NSX
Originally Posted by Vendetta
Bass +5
Treble +8
Balance 0
Fader 0

Other settings
I keep it on Driver optimized, and switch to Medium or Large ambient soundstage depending on what I'm listening to.

-V
OK its funny you brought this up because we ran an analyzer in this car (from our home systems, software from SMAART PRO by JBL) with an expensive lab mic and took some measurements with the car on and off. Its FAR from perfect, there is almost no bass below 40Hz, and treble drops off around 15K and there are plenty of peaks where they should not be.

Using the bass and treble settings we could not get it to be even close to right but I can tell you your levels are too high on both bass and treble. You will wind up with some peaks. The best response was actually measured with treble +2 (to plus 3), Bass +3 (to plus 4), and medium ambient. 8 and 5 are too high for a good source.
Old 05-18-2005, 12:09 PM

SL65 AMG
OK its funny you brought this up because we ran an analyzer in this car (from our home systems, software from SMAART PRO by JBL) with an expensive lab mic and took some measurements with the car on and off. Its FAR from perfect, there is almost no bass below 40Hz, and treble drops off around 15K and there are plenty of peaks where they should not be.

Using the bass and treble settings we could not get it to be even close to right but I can tell you your levels are too high on both bass and treble. You will wind up with some peaks. The best response was actually measured with treble +2 (to plus 3), Bass +3 (to plus 4), and medium ambient. 8 and 5 are too high for a good source.
Thank you for what may be the most every-day useful reply ever.

I'm curious about your mic placement though - where did you sample the sound? Driver side, passenger, center? It's hard to argue that the soundfield dosen't feel more accurate when you select driver optimized timing.

Also, did you take any measurements at speed? That would be a more appropriate sample. 'Cause while I like the stereo in the car and all, I wouldn't say it's good enough to get me to just sit in it to hear my favourite CDs.

[Edit] As I was adjusting the settings just now I noticed that when I open the driver door while the unit is playing, sound cuts off to the driver door speakers. Is this faulty wiring or some incredibly compassionate engineering by MB to not blast those around you when you open the door? Do yours do this also? The sound on mine cuts out as the door swings between the first and second hinge rest points.

-V

Last edited by Vendetta; 05-18-2005 at 02:10 PM.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:12 AM

NSX
I couldn't measure at speed. Our gear runs 110V AC. We measured at various points and took an average. Drivers, passengers, and center. I don't think my speakers cut out... I think you may have a problem! I have seen it before it was a bad harness.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:15 AM

NSX
BTW the car needs a subwoofer. If that was there, we would probably LOWER the bass control and get the flattest response. With +3 or +4 the bass improves in the lower region a bit but then you get a nasty 100Hz peak. I plan on adding a sub. I just can't deal with what is there now. As much I like keeping the car stock, I may have to do this one mod.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:24 PM

SL65 AMG
BTW the car needs a subwoofer. If that was there, we would probably LOWER the bass control and get the flattest response. With +3 or +4 the bass improves in the lower region a bit but then you get a nasty 100Hz peak. I plan on adding a sub. I just can't deal with what is there now. As much I like keeping the car stock, I may have to do this one mod.

Yeah, I know what you're saying. I'd hate like hell to start messing with a debatably good-enough thing. Where would you put the sub, and it's amp?
Old 05-19-2005, 06:13 PM

NSX
I have to look again but there is some sort of opening dead center in the rear shelf I have seen subs put in there before... I have to do some research on this. It will have to be done with MINIMAL intrusion into the car. And hopefully no factory wires cut. I will check into it soon once I can "borrow" my car from MB's service center again!
Old 05-19-2005, 10:49 PM

SL65 AMG
I will check into it soon once I can "borrow" my car from MB's service center again!
Years ago I had a new 300ZX that spent 90 days in the shop out if it's first 180 days of my owning it. After agressive negotiation, I got the dealer and Nissan USA to cover four months of my car payments, plus loaner rentals and other related expenses. I know what you mean when you say "borrowing" your car from the so-called service department. Raise hell if you feel you got a case, you know?

Anyway, back on point... I read this thread (https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-electronics/19734-bose-system-i-m-not-impressed.html) front to back and decided I'll leave to the real experts. I've wired up sound and lighting systems before, but we're talking proprietary stuff here that I'd rather be able to hold someone else accountable for should things go wrong. My prereqs are that it look stock and sound twice as good - otherwise it's not worth the hassle.

Here on Long Island, there's a place in Syosset called Soundcraft that does the best installs I've ever seen. Not cheap, but damn... real tight. I've had many a vehicle outfitted there. If I get there about this, I'll post up what I find out.

All the best,
-V
Old 05-23-2005, 01:31 PM

NSX
Man its not the car's fault. more than 50% of the time it goes back for things that were screwed up the LAST time the fixed something. I love the car.
Old 05-26-2005, 04:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
I thought about modding the sound system but so few people have worked on these cars that I just never trusted anyone to do the job without mucking up something.
Old 06-02-2005, 10:21 AM

SL65 AMG
So hello from the service department at MB Huntington. Free online service, not bad. Wish I didn't need to be here though...

So that problem with the driver door speakers cutting out (see a few posts back) turned into a bigger deal. Now the rear speakers and driver door speaker cut out all together. So they took the door apart last week and no joy - it wasn't in the door. Sent me on my way without fixing it because it was going to require more time. Problem is that when they put the door back together, they screwed something else up, the autoclose mechanism that pulls the door tight on the driver door stopped working. Now I'm back and hoping to leave with all my arms and legs after paying for the service.

I'll post the results when all's said and done.

Ciao,
-V
Old 06-02-2005, 01:37 PM
liz

you've gotta love service today. Brought my car in for various work to be performed. Came back with an extra 40 miles on the od, scratches and a nice divit on the hood of the car (over the wheel well)-probably from some tools being dropped. Didn't notice the dent till I drove off the lot, 10 min. later. Fun, fun, fun. BTW sorry for getting off topic.
Old 06-05-2005, 10:28 PM

SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by Vendetta
...I'll post the results when all's said and done.

Ciao,
-V
Picked up the car Friday evening. $408 out the door. There were a half dozen wires between the door and car itself that were frayed and on the verge of breaking. The driver door speaker wire had broken through completely. Strange eh? The dealer did me a solid 'cause of the botched diagnosis last Friday - diagnosis and swapping the wires required ~7 hours and my rep only charged me for 3.5.

Oh, by the way - I recall a thread on here where someone's driver door pneumatics were failing? Well that was one of the wires that had broken during the first diagnosis and caused my door to stop pulling tight. Perhaps that was *his* first wire to go.

-V
Old 06-06-2005, 12:12 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
Originally Posted by liz
you've gotta love service today. Brought my car in for various work to be performed. Came back with an extra 40 miles on the od, scratches and a nice divit on the hood of the car (over the wheel well)-probably from some tools being dropped. Didn't notice the dent till I drove off the lot, 10 min. later. Fun, fun, fun. BTW sorry for getting off topic.

Liz, tell me that you took your car back and raised hell.
Old 06-17-2005, 12:18 PM
liz

oh yeah! Funny thing is the sa acted as though he was doing me a favor by fixing it and said that he would not spend another penny on my car. I told him I didn't want to be there any more than he wanted me there and that I would appreciate him checking every scratch on the car to ensure that it comes back the way it went in. In the end, the car was fixed perfectly and things were left on a positive note, with the exclusion of the upside down spilled apple juice cup on the rear seat (thrown by detailers from it's original locale)which i didn't bother to mention-too frustrating. BTW, drove off the lot and noticed that the center a/c vents stopped working. Overall, I must say the sa does try to help, it must be a very frustrating job- I am only one person. I can only imagine how often this happens. I would not want to be in his position.
Old 06-18-2005, 01:34 PM

All of them, as much as I can...
Liz, I suggest you do what I did...know the card that they give you with the invoice? The one that asks you to rate the service. I filled it out front and back detailing my displeasure with regards to delivery prep on a new car I bought. And then another about sloppy work and cleanliness on my AMG. I got a letter from the HQ office in Montvale, NJ. Then next time I went to the dealer service dept, I was apprehensive (thinking the proverbial waiter-spits-on-your-food) but pleasantly surprised. I was treated like God, given a loaner and instant service without prior appointment, and a personal "Everything OK? " from the Service Mgr. when I picked up the car. More importantly, the service (wheel balancing and alignment) was done properly, the car was washed and was really clean.
Sometimes, a good bashing works for these guys...