CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Considering a CL, any advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2005, 03:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Considering a CL, any advice

Hello all,

Im considering purchasing a CL 500. My local dealer has one that Im very interested in. This car is great all around, but just want to get an idea when the new model will come out. I hear the new model will be out in 07, is that right. Also, feel free to share any advice, experience, or pics of your CL's. Thanks!

AJ

02S500
05E500
00Clk320
Old 06-04-2005, 10:22 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
Originally Posted by austinCLK
Hello all,

Im considering purchasing a CL 500. My local dealer has one that Im very interested in. This car is great all around, but just want to get an idea when the new model will come out. I hear the new model will be out in 07, is that right. Also, feel free to share any advice, experience, or pics of your CL's. Thanks!

AJ

02S500
05E500
00Clk320
I've also heard that the new model wll come out in '07 which means that you should be able to order one mid-2006 or earlier. If you want a new one now and think you'll want the new when it arrives, just lease for two years. I did a one-pay lease for a fully-loaded car and it came to about $30k. I wanted to time my lease expiration with the new car's introduction. I will probably look at a 2008 CL if I decide to stick with the brand.

By the way, it's a fantastic car.

Last edited by WIldcat465; 06-04-2005 at 10:28 AM.
Old 06-04-2005, 11:33 AM

08 E320 Bluetec
I've heard various stories on when the new model will come out. I just bought one and love it. I will wait a year and keep an eye these boards before I trade. I've learned that it takes MB one model year sometimes to get the kinks out of a new design. Look at the CLS boards where they have been having some problems with that design.
Old 06-04-2005, 12:40 PM

NSX
There is no definite on the new body style. 2007 is a best guess. It may be longer. You may not get YOUR car until 2008. Thats 3 years away. I wouldn't hold off on a purchase because of that. Buy one now keep it in good shape, keep the milage low, and when there is no waiting list (and retail pricing) on the new style, when the bugs have been worked out, sell yours and upgrade. Who knows by then there may be another car you may be interested in. I wouldn't hold off....
Old 06-05-2005, 06:23 AM

Cool, thats what I was hoping to hear. I never buy a car unless the model has been out for at least a year or two to work out the kinks. Ive heard so many horror stories on this sort of thing from all makes and models. Does anyone have a horison blue amg model, whats been your experience. Im considering Horizon blue, white, or silver with the amg body. Thanks for your replies.

AJ
Old 06-05-2005, 09:02 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
Originally Posted by AMG2GO
. . .keep the milage low, and when there is no waiting list (and retail pricing) on the new style, when the bugs have been worked out, sell yours and upgrade
Keep the mileage low? Why spend $100k and worry about mileage? I say drive the hell out of it and enjoy it. Why save the car for the dealer or the enxt owner. I leased mine for two years (18 months to go). I take care of it, but I drive it everyday and when we travel from San Diego to Phoenix.

I don't there will be a waitig list for the CL. It's not a hot seller and (according to my dealer) outprices many people.
Old 06-05-2005, 09:22 AM
Almost a Member!

I agree. These cars are not nearly as mileage sensitive as other marques out there. Given their overall good reliability and desirability you should be ok as long as you don't overdo the mileage. The price premium you will receive for a low mileage car as opposed to the fun you will have enjoying the car (or peace of mind of not worrying about miles) is not worth it. Clearly there will be a difference between 100k miles for 3 years use and 12k miles, but in a more realistic scenario (may differ regionally of course) between 10k a year or 15k a year, the savings doesn't justify the use. Keep in mind that the bulk of the depreciation of the car is in model year aging, not mileage. So the biggest chunk of monetary loss will be taken simply out of having an older car. Mileage is just an adjustorl; admittedly an important one.

I would buy a used CL (2003 perhaps) which has taken the brunt of the depreciation and then trade in or sell to get money for the new one when it comes out. As a matter of personal preference I don't like to purchase a first year run on a model change, so by year 2 waiting lists should be whittled down to negligible if anything.

Best of luck in your decision!
Old 06-06-2005, 11:43 AM

NSX
How much you drive your car is obviously your decision, but I really checked into the facts and figures of this car before buying, and milage on this car does seem to matter.... Certainly it matters more than on a $30,000 car for example. I forget the figure now, but I had calculated that this car costs something between $0.50 and $0.75 per mile to drive. Its a high dollar car, you are inherently going to pay more per mile than a lower priced car. High milage versions of this car take a SEVERE hit or simply do not sell. Trust me. This car is inherently a low milage car as most people that own it, own several cars. You have to keep it inline with the rest to get a fair value... if you have less it will sell much faster. If you have a lot more, be prepared for a very hard hit.

Of course I enjoy driving mine very much. Stickanddice and wildcat45 have a point in that you should enjoy what you have purchased. All I am saying is that for example, I drive from Boston to NYC once in a while. For this I rent a car for $30 and I come back the next day with 400 miles on it. To me, it is just not worth doing that in a CL (of course I would be eating these words if I am in a severe accident). I have other less expensive cars. I choose to drive those a lot because it keeps my CL dent and ding free, road chip free, and the milage low. A low milage version of this car will sell a lot easier and faster. One with a warranty will sell better still. I am talking straight financial viewpoint.... how often you choose to drive it is a purely personal decision.

One last point... according to several sources of data I found, brilliant silver is the most desirable color on this car. That probably means a wider selection of buyers come resale time than Horizon Blue. Again, talking strictly dollars and cents... you are the one that has to look at the car everyday. I am just giving facts not discouraging you from driving a lot or choosing your personal color.

Last edited by AMG2GO; 06-06-2005 at 11:47 AM.
Old 06-06-2005, 12:14 PM

yeah, if your going to buy an old looking model, do yourself a favor and buy used
Old 06-08-2005, 12:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
yeah, if your going to buy an old looking model, do yourself a favor and buy used
Don't you have a prom you should be getting ready for or something?

That's it....I am getting rid of my old looking CL and getting that hot looking E46 318I. Moron.