CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Need some honest opinions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-12-2005, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
NSX
Need some honest opinions

Guys I took my car to NTB today and tried on my set of Renntech wheels and tires. These tires are the wrong size, they are too low a profile, and I am selling them. So please keep in mind that the wheel wells will look more "full" with the correct size tires. Also I may lower the car another .5" or so, it is currently lowered 0.75".

I took these shots. I know the old AMG wheels are old school, but I like them. What do you think of the Renns on the car? I chose them because they are the lightest highest performance wheels for the CL. But I would like some opinions on the looks.
Attached Thumbnails Need some honest opinions-sideamg.jpg   Need some honest opinions-siderenn.jpg   Need some honest opinions-renn3.4front.jpg   Need some honest opinions-amg3.4front.jpg   Need some honest opinions-renn3.4rear.jpg  

Old 07-12-2005, 01:09 AM

NSX
one more
Attached Thumbnails Need some honest opinions-amg3.4rear.jpg  
Old 07-12-2005, 01:14 AM

NSX
here is the car with one of each
Attached Thumbnails Need some honest opinions-1each.jpg  
Old 07-12-2005, 07:16 AM

'03 CL600
Might as well get the Renn if you're planning on changing your stock, plus it looks really good.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:24 PM

300E
looks kinda small to me. is that 19"?

Last edited by S_kLaSse; 07-12-2005 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 02:58 PM

NSX
Yes they are 19". They look small because the tires are so low a profile. Like I said they are incorrect. The tires are for a CLK not a CL going to a 19". So the profile is very low and the overall wheel/tire diameter is smaller than it should be. That creates a bit more fender gap and that makes the wheel look slightly smaller. Its funny the AMG looks as big or bigger and its an 18". But the tires are correct.
Old 07-12-2005, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
V12-Biturbo
I think the Renn's are a better choice More modern looking, and how bout that lb.. difference? What if any driving impressions do you have w/lighter 19"s...
Old 07-12-2005, 03:49 PM

NSX
I haven't honestly driven the car at all with the Renns other than turning it around in the garage so I can take pics of the car. The tires are brand new and I want to sell them so I did not want to drive on them. But I know that even ride quality improves with lighter weight.... Picking them up, it is a huge difference. I lift the Renntech wheel with the 275 tire with one hand so easily.... its light.... the next closest wheel in that weight I found was the BBS RS-GT and it is forged too, it was just slightly heavier by like .2 pounds. Not much else is very close.

The factory AMG wheels are cast... even the CL65 wheel it turns out, is cast... I originally thought it was forged. It isn't. I am not sure why it is so expensive. I am hoping the ride will be very close with the Renntech wheels despite the 1" growth.

I will be selling two of them if anyone is interested, because I want to get two 19x10 for the rear. The other person can do the same if interested. The renntech wheels are the only ones from what I understand that will allow you to correctly mount a 295 on the rear.

By the way I am not sure if I posted... the monolite is 20 pounds... the AMG 5 spoke is 28 pounds. The CL65 wheel is 32 pounds.... some of the chrome aftermarket wheels are close to 50.

Last edited by AMG2GO; 07-12-2005 at 03:57 PM.
Old 07-12-2005, 07:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by AMG2GO
I haven't honestly driven the car at all with the Renns other than turning it around in the garage so I can take pics of the car. The tires are brand new and I want to sell them so I did not want to drive on them. But I know that even ride quality improves with lighter weight.... Picking them up, it is a huge difference. I lift the Renntech wheel with the 275 tire with one hand so easily.... its light.... the next closest wheel in that weight I found was the BBS RS-GT and it is forged too, it was just slightly heavier by like .2 pounds. Not much else is very close.

The factory AMG wheels are cast... even the CL65 wheel it turns out, is cast... I originally thought it was forged. It isn't. I am not sure why it is so expensive. I am hoping the ride will be very close with the Renntech wheels despite the 1" growth.

I will be selling two of them if anyone is interested, because I want to get two 19x10 for the rear. The other person can do the same if interested. The renntech wheels are the only ones from what I understand that will allow you to correctly mount a 295 on the rear.

By the way I am not sure if I posted... the monolite is 20 pounds... the AMG 5 spoke is 28 pounds. The CL65 wheel is 32 pounds.... some of the chrome aftermarket wheels are close to 50.
I'm a big believer in performance over looks/form....I've been waiting for the right wheels to accomplish this, I think the wheels from CCW will bear the same fruit so to speak as your Renn's very light (Forged) and strong!
I love the way 20"s look but as I said performance is key, and you loose both ride quality and acceleration & top speed w/bigger wheels. So I think the 19" are the limit before really ruining this fine balance of form/function anyway just my .02 I would go with the Renn's to but I'm not overly taken by the styling, don't get me wrong it's a damn good lookin' wheel I just like the CCW's better..Thanks for sharing the pic's .... Sean........

Last edited by Thericker; 07-12-2005 at 07:30 PM.
Old 07-13-2005, 08:42 AM

All of them, as much as I can...
Sorry to differ, but I really like the stock AMG 18s [lowered] on your car. The Renns make it looki like an SL, but that's 1 man's opinion; unless you're going for that look. I would think the Renns make for a much harsher ride. I just came back from a trip to Montreal, pumping the tires to 38/40 PSI with all 4 seats filled and a full trunk (AMG 18s). Magic carpet ride, except in cobblestone streets!

I tried this 19" mod on my CLK55 and the ride was rough, although handling was phenomenal; until I hit the first pothole in NYC.
Old 07-13-2005, 09:29 AM

i drive an ///M6
i agree, i almost got those stock 18 amg's for min until i saw the diablos' i now have. i didn't go over 18, though. there is little, if any, noticible difference in ride/handling. (i went from stock 17's)
Old 07-13-2005, 06:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
Originally Posted by techbike
Sorry to differ, but I really like the stock AMG 18s [lowered] on your car. The Renns make it looki like an SL, but that's 1 man's opinion; unless you're going for that look. I would think the Renns make for a much harsher ride. I just came back from a trip to Montreal, pumping the tires to 38/40 PSI with all 4 seats filled and a full trunk (AMG 18s). Magic carpet ride, except in cobblestone streets!

I tried this 19" mod on my CLK55 and the ride was rough, although handling was phenomenal; until I hit the first pothole in NYC.
I agree. The AMGs look better. That's what I have on my car. I never felt the need to change anything about my car.
Old 07-13-2005, 06:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

V12-Biturbo
Originally Posted by WIldcat465
I agree. The AMGs look better. That's what I have on my car. I never felt the need to change anything about my car.
Boring.......
Old 07-13-2005, 09:18 PM

NSX
The reason the stock AMG's look good on this car is because the car is lowered and it had a nice stance now, and the car is brilliant silver and the wheel color matches. I don't think those wheels look as good on a stock car thats higher and say black for example.

Little things make a difference. If the tires on the Renns were sized right, clean (not with white goop on them), and the car was lowered another .5", the Renns would look better.

As far as the ride, while its true that 18's generally ride better, weight makes a big difference. So does the strength of the wheel and I suspect that the extra inch will be made up for by the extra 8 pounds of weight savings.

Thanks for all the opinions guys!
Old 07-13-2005, 09:23 PM

NSX
Originally Posted by techbike

techbike I am not sure you can really compare, one is a CL and one was a CLK... different suspensions and isolation. Also keep in mind that the CLK with 19's must use a lower profile tire, because the diameter is smaller than a CL. So you have less sidewall and therefore harsher ride. But I appreciate the feedback.

Last edited by AMG2GO; 07-13-2005 at 11:08 PM.
Old 07-15-2005, 10:21 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
SL65 AMG
AMG2GO, I already posted on the AMG forum thread about this, but just wanted to add my nod here as well. Stick with the Renns. They look awesome, for real. It's like we said, luxury car with sportiness, or sports car with luxury? You can make the case for both and be right each time. For you it's sport with luxury, and the Renns pretty much make that point in no uncertain terms. :v

Oh, and PS, I'm looking at these pics with admiration for the precision photo work. Same angles, same distance, same location of the car. You got a little bit of an obsessive bent like me, perhaps?

-V
Old 07-16-2005, 12:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 SL600, 2001 S500, 1996 SL320
old school

I like the old school rims better.
Old 07-16-2005, 12:48 AM

SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by StephenK
I like the old school rims better.
The AMG's are DEFINITELY classic and classy, no doubt. But remember that he's also going for performance, and the AMG's are almost 10lbs heavier per rim. I'm no Newton, but from what I've read (actually posted by AMG2GO, himself), that kind of weight, ~40lbs net, takes a toll on real world performance.

I'm using OEM AMG's as the "winter" rims. Here in NY, like where AMG is near Beantown, the winters are definitely rough on rims what with the freeze/thaw potholes and all. I imagine that he'll get some summer track shoes to stretch around the mammoth 19x10" - or was it 10.5"? - that he's gonna put on the rear.

Whadaya say, AMG2GO? I just got the Goodyear Eagle F1's - they wouldn't know how to spell snow, but they sure know their stuff on summer wet and dry.

-V

Last edited by Vendetta; 07-16-2005 at 12:51 AM.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:12 AM

NSX
Originally Posted by Vendetta
Oh, and PS, I'm looking at these pics with admiration for the precision photo work. Same angles, same distance, same location of the car. You got a little bit of an obsessive bent like me, perhaps?

-V
hehe yeah the poor guys at NTB thought I was nuts, I would position the car exactly the same, mark the spot where my feet where when taking shots, then go back exactly to get the same shots.... I had 2 wheels on one side, and two on the other which is why the pics are reversed, I had to turn the car around otherwise all pics would be identical.

I wish more people with aftermarket anything would post better pictures becasuse I know I for one would have loved to have seen a CL with real Renntechs on it before I bought my set. Maybe these will help the next guy.
Old 07-16-2005, 10:37 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
The 3/4 front view looks the best.
Old 07-17-2005, 04:54 PM

SL65 AMG
Originally Posted by ricky.agrawal
The 3/4 front view looks the best.
Rule of thumb for any car, let alone a monster like this. 3/4 front left, low angle is a great shot.

-V
Old 07-17-2005, 04:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
You are one of the few on this forum that know how to take good pictures!
Old 07-19-2005, 07:42 AM

CL65 AMG '05
And to put on top of that, he's got a really damn clean car! Gosh my CL has not looked that clean ever since i've got it.

To be honest with your AMG2GO, i still tends towards the old 5 spoke AMGs for looks. It just makes the car look more full and fat. More like a grunt. The renntech ones look kinda skinny. I dont know, it looks like a stock SL350 rims to me. I personally would go back to the old AMGs.

If performance is your priority, I'll choose other rims. Sorry thats just for me.

Regards mate.
Old 07-19-2005, 08:55 AM

NSX
Originally Posted by James L.
And to put on top of that, he's got a really damn clean car! Gosh my CL has not looked that clean ever since i've got it.

To be honest with your AMG2GO, i still tends towards the old 5 spoke AMGs for looks. It just makes the car look more full and fat. More like a grunt. The renntech ones look kinda skinny. I dont know, it looks like a stock SL350 rims to me. I personally would go back to the old AMGs.

If performance is your priority, I'll choose other rims. Sorry thats just for me.

Regards mate.
I hear what you are saying, but believe me when the right size tires are on the renns and they are clean, it will look different. I will post more pics when that is done.