CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Help! COMAND ejecting Nav CDs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2006, 07:24 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E90 N54 & W251
Question Help! COMAND ejecting Nav CDs

Going to service is really a crab shoot with the damn diagnostic fees. If they can't replicate the problem, troubeshooting is on your dime.

Ex. I updated my navigation CD to the 01/05 revision. Shortly after, the CD drive started acting up on me. It would take the CD and then automatically try to eject it. After about 3-4 times it eventually takes the CD. Then it doesn't acknowledge that a CD is present. After another 3-4 times of attempting to eject itself, it reads the CD and the navigation works fine. As a result of all this, the CD got scratched. Service is now telling me that the reason it does this is because the CD is scratched, which so happens to be caused by the CD drive to begin with. Very frustrating. They indicated that this was a first for them.

Tomorrow they're going to use a fresh, updated CD (Rev. 11/05 I believe). If it still does it, then the problem is clearly with my head unit and therefore under warranty. If not, then it must be the CD and I'll be out for the diagnostic charge.

So my question is, has anyone ever experienced this before? The CD is the real deal and not a copy so there really isin't anything pointing to the CD as being the issue. Is there a software flaw with the 01/05 revision that happens to affect the type of COMAND unit in my 01 CL500? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2006, 09:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 GMC Sierra
My CL600 does the same thing, after about 4 trys it takes the CD, I thought it may need a cleaning.
Let us know what happens.
Regards,
Ed
Old 04-05-2006, 09:46 AM

E90 N54 & W251
Anybody?

Bump? Anybody? Opinions?
Old 04-05-2006, 09:47 AM

E90 N54 & W251
Originally Posted by sped
My CL600 does the same thing, after about 4 trys it takes the CD, I thought it may need a cleaning.
Let us know what happens.
Regards,
Ed
I guess this seems to be a pretty rare issue. I'll post their findings. Thanks.
Old 04-05-2006, 01:14 PM

E90 N54 & W251
I take that back. It looks to be more common than I thought. For the most part, replacing the COMAND unit solves the issue. It's probably some stupid problem with the CD-ROM.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...av+stuck+eject

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...av+stuck+eject
Old 04-05-2006, 01:54 PM

E90 N54 & W251
Well.....Here it is. The tech tested it with my 01/05 revision and the new disc. Out of 10 cycles (with each disc) of ejecting and inserting, it got stuck twice with both discs. As a result, they feel the issue is not chronic enough to constitute a COMAND replacement. It would need to fail most of the time for them to replace the head unit.

For those of you out there that has it worst than me, demand a replacement as it appears to be a drive issue. I think I'll let this one slide for now or until it gets worst.

Last edited by ~CL500~; 04-05-2006 at 01:57 PM.
Old 04-08-2006, 10:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
Here's what I found out about the ejecting disk. I have an '02 and all was fine with the old disks. I then bought the newer edition last year and that is when the problem started. Long story short, the old disks don't eject but the new edition ones do. The service mgr. said the older ones are thinner (or thicker, I don't remember) and he notified MB but he doesn't expect them to do anything about it. BTW, a new navigation system doesn't help as mine was replaced under warranty. Both the old system and the new eject the new edition disks.
Old 04-08-2006, 01:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2004 SL55, 2015 A250d, 2016 GLC250d
Hi

What happens on the original COMAND systems (CD based, not DVD) is the roller that pulls the disk in and out gets covered in grease from fingers (and general dirt) and then slips too much to eject the cd-rom - I guess there is some point where its a bit slippery and the disk thickness then affects whether it can eject

If you go to http://www.mercupgrades.com and look at the frequently-asked-questions document, it tells you how to dismantle the CD drive and clean the roller

Cheers
Richard
Old 04-09-2006, 11:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Command CDROM's

Brand new cl600 owner today..! I have some time with DVDROMS and CDROMS many times over the years. Here is what I do and I hope it helps you. NEVER USE THE ORIGINAL..! Use a copy, easy to do and completely legal. Now don’t go selling them, that is illegal.

RIP (means: copy the original CDROM) to your computer the command disc (or have your favorite computer person do it for you which is perfectly legal to make a copy for yourself).

Go to the store and buy some BLACK CDROMS. These will help the command CDROM reader decipher the information. Burn the ripped command disc back to the BLACK CDROM.

Remember, you don’t copy, you RIP. To further that point you RIP to an ISO which is the exact phrase you tell your computer person.

Just a note: The command disc is pressed, your favorite CD burner burns little holes through a thin layer of (what appears to be) aluminum or Mylar film.

A hole represents a “0” (ZERO) and a reflection from the laser registers a “1” (One). Important: If it is misreading it mostly is an issue with the mating between the disc, its manufacturer and the command unit.

FYI: when the disc is rejected, it is from being unable to be “Tracked” and little to do with the actual data itself. Now freezing, skipping and the like is more typical of a dirty head or disc with thumb prints because the tiny lasers are pretty strong. Hope that helps someone.
Old 04-10-2006, 12:24 AM
Super Moderator

Received 3,241 Likes on 2,018 Posts
AMG GTC Roadster, E63s Ed.1, M8 Comp. Coupe
While the cd-rom drive could have an issue, it's actually unlikely.

The issue actually relates to copy protection. Starting with the 04 Nav disks, Navtech has employed a copy protection scheme. You can easily test this by trying to copy your CD's. Old nav CD's can be copied, new ones don't .

Just like computers, cd-rom models and firmware versions vary in the comand units and handle copy-protection differently.
Try sticking in the CD and then turn the unit off & then on again. During initialization it should read it and as soon as the software is loaded (via progress bar) the comand should be ok.

Hope this helps,

Wolfman
Old 04-11-2006, 10:06 AM

E90 N54 & W251
Thank you all for your input. Initially I felt I was in the dark, until posting on on this board.
Old 05-10-2006, 10:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
GLK 350; 993c2s; Bentley CGT
Other Navigation CD question

Friend just sold his BMW 540i and has a full set of Nav CDs (not DVD) he will give me for free. Seems they are same make as Mercedes. Does anybody know if these are interchangeable or BMW specific? Thanks in advance
Old 05-10-2006, 11:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by ~CL500~
Going to service is really a crab shoot with the damn diagnostic fees. If they can't replicate the problem, troubeshooting is on your dime.

Ex. I updated my navigation CD to the 01/05 revision. Shortly after, the CD drive started acting up on me. It would take the CD and then automatically try to eject it. After about 3-4 times it eventually takes the CD. Then it doesn't acknowledge that a CD is present. After another 3-4 times of attempting to eject itself, it reads the CD and the navigation works fine. As a result of all this, the CD got scratched. Service is now telling me that the reason it does this is because the CD is scratched, which so happens to be caused by the CD drive to begin with. Very frustrating. They indicated that this was a first for them.

Tomorrow they're going to use a fresh, updated CD (Rev. 11/05 I believe). If it still does it, then the problem is clearly with my head unit and therefore under warranty. If not, then it must be the CD and I'll be out for the diagnostic charge.

So my question is, has anyone ever experienced this before? The CD is the real deal and not a copy so there really isin't anything pointing to the CD as being the issue. Is there a software flaw with the 01/05 revision that happens to affect the type of COMAND unit in my 01 CL500? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Reference MBUSA bulletin P-B-82.85/497 MAY06 – Head Unit Repeatedly Ejecting Navigation or Audio CDs

Model 215.373/374/375/376/378
Model 220.170/173/174/175/176/178/183/184
Model Year 2001 to 2003, Equipped with Bosch 2.5 COMAND

The head unit software needs to be updated using COMAND update CD S-2786-06A.
Old 06-09-2006, 04:07 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what to do?
I'm in europe

thanks