CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600
View Poll Results: What would you replace your CL with if you had to?
2004 E55, CPO
66.67%
2006 CLS500, CPO
33.33%
Voters: 9. You may not vote on this poll

CL Replacement. What would you buy?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 12:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E90 N54 & W251
Question CL Replacement. What would you buy?

Due to the growing family, I think the time has come to get a 4 door. As much as I love my CL500, I'm beginning to think a 4 door would be more suitable for my current situtation. The million dollar questions is, how does a die hard CL fan replace his car without regret?

I've narrowed it down to 2 alternatives. If you were in the position where you had to replace your CL and had to choose between a 2004 E55 or 2006 CLS500, both CPO, what would you pick?

Coming from a CL, the CLS seems to be the closest alternative. Opinions are greatly appreciated.

Last edited by ~CL500~; 04-17-2006 at 12:29 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 01:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
08 E320 Bluetec
Get the new S. If you need four doors. Unless you have lots of need for speed a E-500 is a better deal, better mileage, but a lot smaller. The CLS's just don't do it for me compared to the CL style.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:00 PM

E90 N54 & W251
Originally Posted by Chip
Get the new S. If you need four doors. Unless you have lots of need for speed a E-500 is a better deal, better mileage, but a lot smaller. The CLS's just don't do it for me compared to the CL style.
Thanks.

I must say, it's not easy getting rid of a car you want to keep. I actually have a car that "moves me" (being as picky as I am). Being practical is the only influencing factor for this transaction. Putting our infant in the backseat is starting to become an issue for my wife and I. It hasn't reached the point of being entirely annoying yet, but it's getting there quick.

The W221 is AWSOME. Unfortunately my budget can't go that high right now. I might sway towards the W220 as it's the closest feel/ride of the CL.

Decisions, decisions....

Last edited by ~CL500~; 04-17-2006 at 02:27 PM.
Old 04-17-2006, 11:07 PM

NSX
whats your budget? I am going to throw something out your way and I know I will get some heat for this, but I would seriously look into a slightly used Maserati Quatroporte. Now I was one of the first guys to object to anything Maserati... and I still standby their shortcomings... but I drove them, the Gransport and the Quatroporte. And I have to admit... after the test drive my heart was pounding, my palms were sweaty... I had so much fun... I couldn't get the sound of that Ferrari V8 at 7000 RPM's wailing out of my head for at least a week.

Yes, it will have rather questionable reliability... but its under full warranty (4/50K)... they have made strides and according to JD power they are ahead of MB in initial build quality.

The interior of the quatroporte is beautiful. The engine... what can I say its a basic F430 relative... the styling is way unique (pininfarina). You may not see another for 5 months. It has lots of interior space.

Listen, as many reservations as you may have, and I had many, I urge you to go drive one. Its a convincing car. Its also a good deal in the used market now.
Attached Thumbnails CL Replacement. What would you buy?-20032405-e-1-.jpg   CL Replacement. What would you buy?-20032416-e-1-.jpg   CL Replacement. What would you buy?-20032422-e-1-.jpg   CL Replacement. What would you buy?-20032425-e-1-.jpg   CL Replacement. What would you buy?-20032438-e-1-.jpg  

Old 04-18-2006, 08:55 AM

E90 N54 & W251
AMG2GO,
I'm gonna have to agree with you on this. Maseratis are unique vehicles. Before I bought my CL, I was looking for a pre-owned Coupe, but was unable to find one suitable at the time. Alot of convertibles and alot of 02's with the Cambio tranny, which I was avoiding.

Funny that you mentioned Quattroportes; I entertained the idea recently until I saw what they were going for. Still too expensive for me unfortunately.

As far as budget is concerned, I wanted to be in the early $60's. Pre-owned E55s and CLS500s are right in that range.

Thanks
Old 04-19-2006, 12:29 AM

NSX
They fixed all the cambiocorsa bugs in the Gransport... its a nice shifter now.

I think you will have more choice on an E55... and I am not sure the CLS is a better car per se, just better looking. But that look, helps it hold its value much better... something to think about.

Why not get an S class? I mean its the 4 door CL!
Old 04-19-2006, 12:30 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
I would go for the CLS500. It is still rare compare to the E55 which are abundant. CLS500 just have a unique style to it and has an elegant look to it. That's my 2 pennies.

Trending Topics

Old 04-19-2006, 01:06 AM

A few
Originally Posted by AMG2GO
whats your budget? I am going to throw something out your way and I know I will get some heat for this, but I would seriously look into a slightly used Maserati Quatroporte. Now I was one of the first guys to object to anything Maserati... and I still standby their shortcomings... but I drove them, the Gransport and the Quatroporte. And I have to admit... after the test drive my heart was pounding, my palms were sweaty... I had so much fun... I couldn't get the sound of that Ferrari V8 at 7000 RPM's wailing out of my head for at least a week.

Yes, it will have rather questionable reliability... but its under full warranty (4/50K)... they have made strides and according to JD power they are ahead of MB in initial build quality.

The interior of the quatroporte is beautiful. The engine... what can I say its a basic F430 relative... the styling is way unique (pininfarina). You may not see another for 5 months. It has lots of interior space.

Listen, as many reservations as you may have, and I had many, I urge you to go drive one. Its a convincing car. Its also a good deal in the used market now.
How much are these going for in the real market? I see them listed for $90,000+ all the time, and I have yet to find someone who actually purchased one. I presume they sell for far less than that (considering that they are a little over $90,000 new, so at the "list" price for used it's not that great a good deal).
Old 04-19-2006, 09:28 AM

E90 N54 & W251
AMG2GO/apdesign,
If money wasn't an issue, a CLS55 would be perfect. Its got the looks and the speed. Don't want to overspend my budget though.

I also like the W220s. I'm probably going to include it in my choices.

Believe it or not they're (W220) everywhere here in northern NJ. With the exception of my driveway, I spot a CL every now and then. Same goes for the E55. Popularity all depends where you live I guess.

Thanks again for all your comments.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:32 AM

E90 N54 & W251
Maseratis

Originally Posted by JizJizJiz
How much are these going for in the real market? I see them listed for $90,000+ all the time, and I have yet to find someone who actually purchased one. I presume they sell for far less than that (considering that they are a little over $90,000 new, so at the "list" price for used it's not that great a good deal).
I haven't been in the position of negotiating on one of these so i'm really not sure. On the preowned market though, I wouldn't be too shocked if dealers had a $10k+ markup on these cars. I think there's room.
Old 04-19-2006, 10:09 AM

i drive an ///M6
...how 'bout an '03-04 CL55 or 600 sport? They're in the mid $60's now.....
Old 04-19-2006, 11:24 AM

NSX
Originally Posted by ICEAMG
...how 'bout an '03-04 CL55 or 600 sport? They're in the mid $60's now.....
ICE, did you read his post? he said he has a CL and wants to go to a 4 door. How does a CL55 help him? You have too much to drink last night?
Old 04-19-2006, 11:31 AM

NSX
Amazingly, the quatroporte seems to be holding its value very well whereas the the coupe and spyder lose a lot quickly. Its really too bad because any issues Maserati had with the coupe has been fixed in the Gransport. Had they come out with this car from the beginning, they would have done much better. But having a 4" gap between your tires and body and having some of the ugliest wheels in the world on a body that is questionable to begin with will not help you. The Gransport looks 5x better than the old coupe...

Word is the coupe/gransport will not be made past July. Maserati will not have a 2 door car to sell then for at least a year.... weird... also Fiat is taking Ferrari public. They took Maserati away from them, figuring that would boost their market value... beancounters...

So Maserati gets screwed in the process as Fiat hands control over to Alfa Romeo... the guys that couldn't figure their head from their rass in the US a decade ago. There is talk of V6 Maseratis...

Ferrari really was making this company something.... I don't know what Fiat is thinking... but it is Fiat after all...

sorry for going off topic. But I had to vent. because they are ruining a company that could have been great.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:36 AM

NSX
Originally Posted by ~CL500~
AMG2GO/apdesign,
If money wasn't an issue, a CLS55 would be perfect. Its got the looks and the speed. Don't want to overspend my budget though.

I also like the W220s. I'm probably going to include it in my choices.

Believe it or not they're (W220) everywhere here in northern NJ. With the exception of my driveway, I spot a CL every now and then. Same goes for the E55. Popularity all depends where you live I guess.

Thanks again for all your comments.
Yeah but the S class is a good deal used... especially now with the new body out... I guess it depends on what you get. I'd look for a good car/deal more than the exact type... I don't think you will go wrong with either choice really... an E55 will certainly run and the CLS looks great... the S has all teh luxury of the CL with 4 doors.... I'd just look at all 3 and the right car will just find you. Don't forget residual value. That way when you get a quatroporte in 2 years your trade will be worth something.

I prefer to get a newer under warranty car than an older "better" one. MB's relaibility these days is suspect man... don't screw yourself with an out of warranty car.
Old 04-19-2006, 11:53 AM

E90 N54 & W251
Yeah but the S class is a good deal used... especially now with the new body out... I guess it depends on what you get. I'd look for a good car/deal more than the exact type... I don't think you will go wrong with either choice really... an E55 will certainly run and the CLS looks great... the S has all teh luxury of the CL with 4 doors.... I'd just look at all 3 and the right car will just find you. Don't forget residual value. That way when you get a quatroporte in 2 years your trade will be worth something.

I prefer to get a newer under warranty car than an older "better" one. MB's relaibility these days is suspect man... don't screw yourself with an out of warranty car.
Good points. Getting an 04+ already under warranty with an additional year of CPO warranty will cover me for a good while. After having the CL, I realized that warranty is not an option; its a must!
The downside to the S would be depreciation. I may be wrong, but I think the E55 and CLS will hold its value more over the next few years than the S.
Old 04-19-2006, 12:55 PM

i drive an ///M6
ICE, did you read his post? he said he has a CL and wants to go to a 4 door. How does a CL55 help him? You have too much to drink last night?
........ok, coffee has kicked in now,..... scratch that last post-- I'd go with a211 E55
Old 04-19-2006, 03:36 PM

E90 N54 & W251
Originally Posted by ICEAMG
........ok, coffee has kicked in now,..... scratch that last post-- I'd go with a211 E55
This board is great!!!!
Old 04-19-2006, 08:57 PM

NSX
Originally Posted by ~CL500~
Good points. Getting an 04+ already under warranty with an additional year of CPO warranty will cover me for a good while. After having the CL, I realized that warranty is not an option; its a must!
The downside to the S would be depreciation. I may be wrong, but I think the E55 and CLS will hold its value more over the next few years than the S.
I think you are right. I think the CLS especially... everyone drools over that body... its going to hold its value the best. The E is about to be replaced again.
Old 04-26-2006, 04:10 PM
jbo

CL500 W216
Changing??

In would change to a CLS55.