CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

My brand new CL600 s..t the bed today with only 800 miles on it

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2006, 06:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 S550 4Matic, 2014 G63, 2012 SLS Roadster
Angry My brand new CL600 s..t the bed today with only 800 miles on it

nice quality these mercedes products, i bought a brand new cl 600 black/black, keyless go, parktronic, trunk closer, amg sport pkg last week and today while driving normally the check engine light came on in the car and it will not upshift out of first gear, so 30 miles an hour at 5500 rpm's with people beeping and waving, up the road i go to the nearest mercedes dealer, the car actually hit 800 miles on the odometer as i pulled into the parking lot, the dealer Flagship Motorcars, was in fact very accomodating given the fact that i didn't purchase the car there, they told me that they had never heard of anything like that but that they would take a look at it, hopefully early next week, which is a better answer than i got from the dealer that sold me the car in NJ who told me that he spoke to the service manager and he said that sometimes if the car gets really hot the check engine light will come on, great answer! makes we want to run right back to Mercedes of Princeton and buy another Mercedes product,

so off i go in my nice tan c280 rental, i'm really glad i stepped up for my first mercedes...........
Old 06-23-2006, 07:48 PM

2006 ML500
Unfortunetly, this is a very complex car and I would suggest you might as well get very friendly with your service advisor. My CL600 always seems to have some small thing popping up that needs fixing. It does get aggravating after a while...especially since the dealers around here are understaffed and treat you worse than the local Chevy dealer does after you buy a $130k car.

I just found out my intercooler pump is bad causing me sluggish performance when the car is warmed up, and I have a tire press monitor reset failure on my dash (came on after a dyno run though so I won't blame the car for that one). This pump failure is a common thing on these cars so you might as well watch for it. Also, I've had a fuel filler door break, an ABS light, a trim piece come loose, and had to replace all four pads and rotors at 35k miles......and I've only had the car 2 months!!! You start to become paranoid over what will happen next....I definetly won't classify it as a daily driver and thank God for warranties!!!
Old 06-23-2006, 07:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
You bought your Mercedes from MB of Princeton...
Thats the first mistake you made, what you should have done was gone 30mins up the road to Ray Catena Mercedes-Benz in Edison. They provide the best service quite possibly in the whole state, As you know the service area at Princeton is small boring and not very comfortable but most importantly their service is simply POOR. Now the service center at Ray Catena's is amazing their facility is a state of the art warehouse size building with 64 bays and over 50 2005 and 2006 C-class 4-matic loaner cars, they provide free catered food, free drinks and shoe shines not to mention internet access via 10 flat panel computers, a pool table and a virtual golf room. Even the sales people at Ray Catena's are much more professional and curtious then those at Princeton. When in the market for the SL last year, I made a trip to Princeton in order to get a quote for Catena to beat and as soon as I sat down with the salesmen at Princeton and was given a quote I told them I was going next to Ray Catena's to see what their price was and immediately he began trashing and saying vulgar remarks about them. And when I was looking for an E55 a few years prior to that a salesmen wouldnt allow me to test drive an E55 because he felt I wasn't a serious buyer. Princeton is simply the worst MB dealer in the area, I will NEVER buy anything from them, the only thing they are good for is a quote so to have Ray Catena go even lower .
My salesmen at Ray Catena who I've known now for over 8 years along with every other employee of the organization are incredibly curtious and place no pressure to buy EVER, they know the customer needs their space and time to make such decisions and therefore help in every way possible and let the customer make the final decision on when they're ready to buy. Ray Catena...The Legend in Luxury
Old 06-24-2006, 08:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 500
I feel your pain. I bought my CL 500 certified from mb last month, and it's been in the shop twice. Active Body Control (ABC) malfunctioning twice with Warning lights going off. I am not faulting my dealer, b/c they have been very accomodating and understanding. I fault Mercedes Benz for making a sub-standard product.

It's a very complex car but I expected much more when I bought a CL. There are many comfortable, fast elegant coupes on the markets, but Mercedes Benz needs to address quality issues ASAP before it loses more customers.

Thank God for warranties. Once mine is up, this car is outta here. I love the CL shape, feel/look but I drive my loaner cars from Enterprise more than my CL. How sad
Old 06-24-2006, 11:43 PM

CL600 Sport
Sorry to hear of the problems. I purchased mine last November with 23k miles on it. It now has 31k miles (as of 6/24/06) and I never once had to take it to the dealer. I am, though, starting to notice that the suspension is lower when I let the car sit for a while, so I'm planning to get the ABC system flushed soon. Luckily the warranty is good through 5/09. I think I'm going to sell mine in '08 - before the warranty expires.
Old 06-28-2006, 08:05 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
SL 500
Well, my car is back in the shop again. 4 times since I bought it last month.
The ABC disengaged, and caused a violent shake in the rear suspension when the car was idle. Check Engine and ABC warning came on. So i brought it back to the dealership. Also the Distronic failure light is poping up. In the one month of ownership, I have the following:

1. ABC issues
2. Distronic failure
3. Check Engine
4. ABS issues
5. SRS issues
---

I spoke to my advisor, great guy, he mentioned he would talk to the General Manager about getting them to replace my car with another CL 500.
Honestly, i love the car, but I can't justify the constant problems and visiting the workshop each weekend. Luckily the car has only 34K miles on it, and it's covered until 100K. Wish me luck!
Old 06-28-2006, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts
2015 E250D
TPS monitor can be reset yourself. Go to the TPMS screen and hit the reset button. The same reset button for your trip computer.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
Originally Posted by David M///
Sorry to hear of the problems. I purchased mine last November with 23k miles on it. It now has 31k miles (as of 6/24/06) and I never once had to take it to the dealer. I am, though, starting to notice that the suspension is lower when I let the car sit for a while, so I'm planning to get the ABC system flushed soon. Luckily the warranty is good through 5/09. I think I'm going to sell mine in '08 - before the warranty expires.
I have an '02 CL 500 and the front will start to drop after sitting for a week or so. After three weeks, the front has bottomed out with the front fender outer rim actually below the tire top. When you start the car, the "do not drive car, etc. will come on. However, once you put it gear and release the brake pedal, the car will rise to normal height and will remain there until it again sits for over a week. I've had it in for service twice and they flushed the ABC system, etc. but stated this is normal for this hydrolic system. At first I didn't believe them but after talking to several techs and other people who have owned this type of car, I'm now in the believer camp. Personally, I wouldn't worry about it. By all means, though, have it checked out as it could be something else. BTW, I fully agree. Don't own this car without a warranty!
Old 06-30-2006, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
98 Black C43 , 08' ML320 CDI ,11 E63
Originally Posted by blazinginder
You bought your Mercedes from MB of Princeton...
Thats the first mistake you made.Princeton is simply the worst MB dealer in the area, I will NEVER buy anything from them.
Old 06-30-2006, 10:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
AlabasterWhiteSL ObsidianBlackML
I'm glad to see there is someone in Jersey that agrees with me on this haha.

Princeton Mercedes is getting by Ray Catena whos got the MB market .