Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL 500 vs 645Ci ???

Hello everyone....

how would you compare those cars in terms of:

Luxury;
Performance;
Eye catching;
Confort?

... Do we have any <30 years old driving CL's in here?

Thanks a lot!!

PK.
Old 07-24-2006, 11:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL600 Sport
Luxury: M-B
Performance: BMW
Eye catching: Tie
Comfort: M-B

The weight you assign to each criteria determines which one you get.
Sorry, >30.

Last edited by David M///; 07-24-2006 at 11:38 PM.
Old 07-25-2006, 11:16 AM
Almost a Member!

thankz!

Originally Posted by David M///
Luxury: M-B
Performance: BMW
Eye catching: Tie
Comfort: M-B

The weight you assign to each criteria determines which one you get.
Sorry, >30.
Old 07-25-2006, 01:58 PM

2003 CL600
Originally Posted by Azpinator
Hello everyone....

how would you compare those cars in terms of:

Luxury; MB
Performance; I have a CL600 so i think thats obvious
Eye catching; the BMW hands down. that thing is grotesque
Confort? the active suspension on the CL is wonderful air better than spring anyday.

... Do we have any <30 years old driving CL's in here?

Thanks a lot!!

PK.

Luxury; MB
Performance; I have a CL600 so i think thats obvious
Eye catching; the BMW hands down. that thing is grotesque
Comfort? the active suspension on the CL is wonderful air better than spring anyday.

=30 here
Old 07-25-2006, 10:13 PM

ex 03 W215 now 08 e92 M3
Are you cereal?

Hey Bud:

Who cares if you're 28, 30, 19, or 35... Why are you asking if anyone is "less than 30"? Is it because you are "28" and have made "30" some sort of cut-off?

You forgot the most important criteria; if you are driving a 645 you must also be female.

Try this test at home: Print out a picture of a toyota solara convertible and the 645 ci...stare at the solara pic for 15 seconds without blinking...then close your eyes...switch pics and re-open eyes...CRAZY huh?!!

If you are driving one of these cars and you are a dude...for everyone's sake: Check yourself.

The current 650 i has a few more horse than the 500, but so does a Jaguar S type R. It doesn't mean I'd buy/drive one.

Remember this:

The only convertible a guy should ever be driving is if the vehicle is pre-1973 or it cost over 100k.

Azpinator: Thanks for the genious post...countless lives have been saved.

Last edited by OC kid; 07-25-2006 at 10:24 PM.
The following users liked this post:
V12orWalk (02-14-2024)
Old 07-25-2006, 10:41 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by OC kid
Hey Bud:

Who cares if you're 28, 30, 19, or 35... Why are you asking if anyone is "less than 30"? Is it because you are "28" and have made "30" some sort of cut-off?

You forgot the most important criteria; if you are driving a 645 you must also be female.

Try this test at home: Print out a picture of a toyota solara convertible and the 645 ci...stare at the solara pic for 15 seconds without blinking...then close your eyes...switch pics and re-open eyes...CRAZY huh?!!

If you are driving one of these cars and you are a dude...for everyone's sake: Check yourself.

The current 650 i has a few more horse than the 500, but so does a Jaguar S type R. It doesn't mean I'd buy/drive one.

Remember this:

The only convertible a guy should ever be driving is if the vehicle is pre-1973 or it cost over 100k.

Azpinator: Thanks for the genious post...countless lives have been saved.
wow! Ok... Sorry for bothering you... I didn´t mean to pull anyone's leg..

I just wanted to know your opinion..once here in Brazil we have few models of both.. and they're considered very nice cars!

About convertibles...well... I was talking about the 645Ci, not the 645Ci Cabrio... (yes..the coupe is also called Ci).... But I see your point when you say +100k car... One of my dreams is the Murci Roadster....that I can't afford now.....

But thanks a lot... anyway..
The following users liked this post:
V12orWalk (02-14-2024)
Old 07-25-2006, 10:42 PM
Almost a Member!

ah! I just asked about how old CL's drivers were in here to know if it is considered a "senior" car.... I mean... I am 21.

Thank you.
Old 07-25-2006, 10:54 PM

ex 03 W215 now 08 e92 M3
My Portuguese sucks!

I'm sorry-I didn't know you were from Brazil. J/K

It's a touchy subject for me personally because I HATE the 645, coupe or cabrio.

Yes- the cl is mostly a "senior car"

Mostly senior citizens drive it...and that's only one of the hundred reasons it's so fun to roll. The look on the old man's face when you creep up to the red light beside them is priceless.
Old 07-26-2006, 03:03 AM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
True...when I first bought the CL, I knew it looks like a old man's car, but once you modify it a bit..well, it can be anyone's car. For the 645Ci, this car looks awesome fixed up compared to the CL (without AMG Kit). 645 Ci any day compare to mine.

CL.
Old 07-26-2006, 12:13 PM

2003 CL600
fixed up like this?

IMHO

the new BMW'S 3, 5 , 6 , 7 series is just out of this world nasty. I used to be a HUGE BMW fan having owned the e36 and e46 M3 as well as the e39 M5. the 6 looks like someone backed it into a horizontal bar. the headlights on the 5 series makes the facade of the car look like a freggin geisha girl. dont know if that makes any sense.

Last edited by giggalo; 07-26-2006 at 12:18 PM.
Old 07-26-2006, 04:29 PM
Banned

2001,CL 500
Originally Posted by apdesign
True...when I first bought the CL, I knew it looks like a old man's car, but once you modify it a bit..well, it can be anyone's car.

i never thought it looked like an old mans car..i find some people saying this on here...i guess if you take a completely stock one without amg package..
Old 07-26-2006, 06:47 PM

ex 03 W215 now 08 e92 M3
Sooo True

giggalo is 100% correct and can't be more right on... It is " NASTY." And I get you on the "geisha girl" thing.

I also admired the old 7 and would've done anything for an M5 back in the day.

BLahzehblah; don't confuse yourself, no one said the CL "looks" like an old man's car-it doesn't-it's just DRIVEN by a bunch of them because of the exclusivity$$$... Actually you're right-apdesign said it looked like an old man's car and wishes he had a 645.

The new BMW styles with swooping wheel wells and a lacking clear, simple, powerful, profile (like the previous models) is weak and similar to the more common Japanese designs. I'm reminded of a Hyundai Tiburon when I see some of the current BMW's now.

Too bad Benz seems to be following suit (I still don't like the new CL, I'm thoroughly disappointed-except for maybe the interior-and I'm not impressed as some people are with it just cause it's the "new.") Just about all of the MB models now have some form of the uniform wheel well exageration and horizontal "crease" that extends along the side profile.-weak.

Sorry this thread is making me go off on tangents!!!
Old 07-26-2006, 06:57 PM
Banned

2001,CL 500
yeah i dont like that particular bmw posted..and the new cl is pretty cool but like i said before i am getting so bored by these cars.we act like they are so amazing but the truth is they are all just ordinary cars..there is nothing spectacular about any of them...for the price of a new cl63 or even the 550 ferrari 360's can be purchased....ugh i cant wait until i have a bigger bank account.
Old 07-27-2006, 04:17 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by blahzayblah
yeah i dont like that particular bmw posted..and the new cl is pretty cool but like i said before i am getting so bored by these cars.we act like they are so amazing but the truth is they are all just ordinary cars..there is nothing spectacular about any of them...for the price of a new cl63 or even the 550 ferrari 360's can be purchased....ugh i cant wait until i have a bigger bank account.
hell... that´s true...

and a Fcar will always be a Fcar...

=)
Old 07-27-2006, 04:18 PM
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by apdesign
True...when I first bought the CL, I knew it looks like a old man's car, but once you modify it a bit..well, it can be anyone's car. For the 645Ci, this car looks awesome fixed up compared to the CL (without AMG Kit). 645 Ci any day compare to mine.

CL.

wow.... Just one thing to say.... HOT HOT HOT....

congrats for your sweet ride...
Old 07-27-2006, 04:20 PM
Almost a Member!

I'm sorry-I didn't know you were from Brazil. J/K

It's a touchy subject for me personally because I HATE the 645, coupe or cabrio.

Yes- the cl is mostly a "senior car"

Mostly senior citizens drive it...and that's only one of the hundred reasons it's so fun to roll. The look on the old man's face when you creep up to the red light beside them is priceless.
Ok... You couldn't know I'm from Sao Paulo.. (I never told)....=)

And sorry for the "touchy subject"..hehehe... I act like that when people mention some audi's...hehehehe...
Old 07-27-2006, 09:34 PM

C230K, downgrade :(
cl looks a lot classier and stylish, rather than the 6 series
Old 10-04-2006, 10:34 AM

i drive an ///M6
....now that i have had mine for about a month, here's my take on it..... coming from a 00 cl500, to an 04 645ci,
Luxury; the cl is more luxurious, the beemer more sporty, although one bmw interior does seem just as luxuroius on the 645 to me, the 2 tone cream/black with wood trim. Mine is red/ black with aluminum trim, so you get the idea my particular one is more on the sporty side
Performance; the bmw, hands down (flame if you want, but this is on par with my previous 01 clk55 amg, plus, my 645 is a 6spd stick)
Eye catching; the bmw, hands down (much more of a chick-magnet as well)
Comfort? the bmw, it feels tighter, and after a few adjustments to the seat/ steering wheel, it is just as comfy. the benz is/ was much more "floaty", but for that class, it is supposed to be.
hope this helps..
Old 10-04-2006, 11:48 AM

'
I agree it looks pretty funny when you see a guy driving one of these. I always picture a hot young girl in one of these cars, cabrio or coupe. I'm not saying I wouldn't take one if I had the chance... I'm saying for the money, I would go with something else. The new jag XK looks great if you dont care about depreciation. New cl bodystyle is coming out soon too. Why not get an H1 hummer or F250??
Old 10-04-2006, 01:21 PM
Banned

2001 CL600, Alabaster White, 19" Symbolic SL-1 Chrome Wheels, Eisenamnn Race Exhaust, K&N Airbox Fli
CL600 vs. 645i

It's a matter of personal choice. There is no best car. These two are among the finest autos eve made. I like the CL styling better and I think they edge out BMW on both performance and comfort. But that's just my humble opinion.

Yes the CL is a senior car - because young people generally can't afford it! Just like Corvette - the average age of Corvette buyers is something like 52. Guys have been drooling over these cars for decades and they finally reach a point where they can buy one. But the CL600 makes a old guy (58) feel like he is 28 again.
Old 10-04-2006, 04:52 PM
Banned

2005 SL55, 2000 CL500
CL500 vs BMW and chick cars

Originally Posted by 101charley
Yes the CL is a senior car - because young people generally can't afford it! Just like Corvette - the average age of Corvette buyers is something like 52. Guys have been drooling over these cars for decades and they finally reach a point where they can buy one. But the CL600 makes a old guy (58) feel like he is 28 again.
The BMW is more a chick car in my opinion too.
Dont see hardly any ladies in CL`s ever. Only a few orientals and I would bet
its her husbands car. Yes us CL drivers tend to be older. I am 50. I agree
on the drooling and now "can do it" factor. The CL has its issues. But my friends with high end BMW`s are not a happy group. They go to the dealer
way more than me and my cars. One girl has had her BMW 500 series in the dealer like 20 times in the last few months. She cant wait to get out of her lease. You name it and this car has had it happen. Real POS.

"The only convertible a guy should ever be driving is if the vehicle is pre-1973 or it cost over 100k"

I guess I buy into this one too. The SL500 just seemed too "chick car"
for me as well. So the answer was SL55. Nothing chick about a SL55
in the least. And the over 100K ? at least when it was new last year fits.
My friends with BMW`s just mumble when I pull up in the SL55.
One guy insists that a new M6 will "hurt me".
If I ever find one to have a go with.
Old 10-04-2006, 10:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
I don't get the senior car stigma. I don't believe the CL has that stigma. I think you are confusing that with the fact that most CL drivers are older because the CL is alot more expensive than the normal Benz or BMW. That doesn't make it an old person's car. Buicks are old peoples' cars.....a Lincoln Towncar is an old person's car. I bought my CL when I was 23 and you won't find many people under 30 with these cars. Matter of fact, I don't think I ever saw one. That can bring good and bad things upon you though, I wouldn't cut it off at a certain age either (as others have said).

I am not too impressed with the 6. I considered it before I got the SL, but it looks the same as any other BMW....except it is a coupe. The CL looks alot more exotic and does not look like a C class...or E class. I wouldn't worry what girls identify you in. It's pretty obvious that girls are more attracted to cars they can see themselves driving....if you get my drift (meaning if you had a SC430, girls would really be all over you). Most girls cannot tell the difference between a CL, SL, Lambo, Ferrari, etc.
Old 10-04-2006, 11:10 PM

ex 03 W215 now 08 e92 M3
giggalo is 100% correct and can't be more right on... It is " NASTY." And I get you on the "geisha girl" thing.

I also admired the old 7 and would've done anything for an M5 back in the day.

BLahzehblah; don't confuse yourself, no one said the CL "looks" like an old man's car-it doesn't-it's just DRIVEN by a bunch of them because of the exclusivity$$$...
mjr24:

bltserv wasn't saying it LOOKS like an old man's car...quite the contrary. He said that it is typified as an "old man's car" because when they come out new that's who can afford them. I think everyone is actually saying the same thing on that particular point as you and other have said it's about the $$$.

One thing I "don't get your drift..." on is that no one in this post mentioned that they CARED what girls identify us in as you mention, rather it was stated a few times by a few people that some cars; like the 645, like the miata, like the beetle, like the jaguar are just chick cars.

Women tend to drive what other women in their peer group or cul-de-sac as it may be are driving... In other words, when Mary sees Joan's new Range Rover Sport all of a sudden Mary's got to get rid of her Jaguar and get one too. You are right about most not knowing the difference between an SL and a CL.

By the way, there are more CL drivers under 30 out there than you think. The question is is WHAT YEAR CL and did they buy it new? Probably fewer under 30 year old '05 CL owners than '00 for example.

This thread is getting old...I'm over it.

OC kid
Old 10-05-2006, 12:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 28 Likes on 19 Posts
M6 Gran Coupe
bltserv wasn't saying it LOOKS like an old man's car...quite the contrary.
My whole point about that was not even directed at bltserv's post. It was directed to the author's post about whether it was a senior car...and none of that concerned it's looks.

As for my drift, let me make it more clear. Someone mentioned the 6 series was a girl car. My obvious point is that most women like cars that they can see themselves driving or owning. It had nothing to do with what a girl thinks of a guy who drives a certain model, which is what you thought I meant. The SC430 probably gets more looks than any of these from women because it IS a girl's car and 80% of the SC430 drivers....are women.

I agree with you in terms of maybe being more CL drivers under 30 NOW....but that is also because the price has dropped through the roof in the last year. These cars are easily had for $35k now, which is a G35 coupe new or a couple years' old H2, and we know how many people under 30 have those. Three years ago, this was not the case. Back then, you weren't finding even 2000's or 2001's 500s for less than 65k (which is that much more considering how the economy was then).

I still think the 03-04 CL55 for $50-55K or so is one of the best deals out there right now. I'm not sure why someone would buy a 05 brand new versus a 03 used with maybe 10k miles for say.....75% of the price. The cars look EXACTLY the same. Sure, one could brag they bought the car new, but in all reality, they look stupid because any car over $75,000 costs ALOT more to drive the first 10k miles than it does to drive it the next 10k miles, solely due to depreciation. There is absolutely no difference between a 05 CL with 10 miles and a 03 with 10k miles except the higher price, which is all depreciation that is lost in those first 10k miles.

Last edited by mjr24; 10-05-2006 at 12:49 AM.
Old 05-30-2007, 01:38 AM

Mercedes CL500
28 years old = CL500.

Here in Southern California, it's actually fairly common and mostly politically correct for people of all ages to own different types of cars, so long as these people do not come from the stereotype "my parents bought me my high end car" category. I would imagine a lot of people buy these cars brand new for tax consideration.

I think the question as to whether the CL looks like a senior's car really depends upon how you look at it. If you look at it from the consumers' perspectives, then a lot of posts in this thread actually make sense.

However, if I may speculate the CL designers' intention and Mercedes' marketing strategy, I am sure this car was originally targeted for people who are well over their 40s. And I don't think I need to elaborate as to why this is so.

As for myself, I've always been a die-hard BMW fan, as I've owned one for well more than 10 years. Unfortunately, Mercedes has grown on me in the past couple of years because I have yet to see myself being comfortable in any of Chris Bangle's designs. Not withstanding this, I still think BMW has the edge in terms of handling, sporty appearance, and driving fun. The CL interior, on the other hand, plainly feels like the senior partner's office on the road.

It's only been less than a year since I've bought my CL but I have to say that I do thoroughly enjoy this car. Perhaps it's just me, but I usually reserve the occasions of driving this car to the minimum (200 miles per month or so), as I do not want others to perceive me as someone whom I may not be.

On the bright side, the CL is a wonderful client hauler and actually manages to make me appear a few years older, which can be a plus in the legal profession.

Jon

Last edited by Baby ///M3; 05-30-2007 at 01:41 AM.