Should I buy a CL500?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-20-2008, 07:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
05 solara
Should I buy a CL500?

Hi everyone
Shortly,I drive an 05 toyota solara.I'm a dealer in Vegas with $65000 income.My dream car always been a coupe benz,the CL class.With my current financial status,I can spare around $22K,which I think will get me a high mile 03,or better mile 02 or older.I have no mechanical knowledge,and I'm no racer.I grow up in Turkey where this 03 CL500 would be around $100K.So in this great country I can own the car of my dreams,but what scares me is maintenance.I guess with my mid income,I can handle the gas consumption and higher insurance/registeration but if this model is a trouble maker,maybe I should try to love some other car.I wouldn't mind a 3-5 series BMW,or even a lexus/infinity to satisfy my luxury driving needs for a while.I'm open to all suggestions,and your suggestions will help me make up my mind.Thank you all.Ozzy
Old 08-20-2008, 08:52 AM
Almost a Member!

If I was in your shoes I wouldn't do it. I wouldn’t own a CL making 65K unless I wasn’t paying rent or mortgage. One malfunction on this car will kill you unless you have a lot money save. My rule of thumb to a person is to never own a car that cost more than your annual salary. But if it's really your dream car you’ll probably purchase the car regardless.
Old 08-20-2008, 10:32 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
E90 N54 & W251
Originally Posted by ozzie1634
Hi everyone
Shortly,I drive an 05 toyota solara.I'm a dealer in Vegas with $65000 income.My dream car always been a coupe benz,the CL class.With my current financial status,I can spare around $22K,which I think will get me a high mile 03,or better mile 02 or older.I have no mechanical knowledge,and I'm no racer.I grow up in Turkey where this 03 CL500 would be around $100K.So in this great country I can own the car of my dreams,but what scares me is maintenance.I guess with my mid income,I can handle the gas consumption and higher insurance/registeration but if this model is a trouble maker,maybe I should try to love some other car.I wouldn't mind a 3-5 series BMW,or even a lexus/infinity to satisfy my luxury driving needs for a while.I'm open to all suggestions,and your suggestions will help me make up my mind.Thank you all.Ozzy

It's all relative to how smart you are with your money. It's what you spend not what you make. You could make six figures and still be broke if you spend too much. No one knows your financial situation better than yourself.

Regarding the car, I would recommend getting one with a warranty. Trips to the dealer can be thousands of dollars in the event of certain component failures; This way all you'll have to worry about is standard maintenance which will run you a few hundred bucks a year on average. A Mercedes is no Toyota when it comes to low cost of ownership and a Toyota is no Mercedes when it comes to "the drive". To myself and likely everyone else here, the latter is what counts.

Good luck in your search.
Old 08-20-2008, 09:34 PM
Almost a Member!

is a ///AMG badged CL500.
I say get it. Only if it falls in the following:

1.If its something you've long for and dreamed of.

2. Single (girlfriends are okay) as long as you don't have a family.

2.You could find an 03'+ CL55 AMG for a decent price. forget the models that came before it. I don't hate my 02, but I wish I waited.

3. Your monthly expenses (mortgage,rent,bills,child support, alcohol, stripper, drugs) whatever the case may be is atleast 50/50 credit/debt ratio.

4. I ran out of other reasons.

you don't have to take me seriously, I know I already set myself up for a flame. But I know some people are crazy enough to follow this logic. I don't blame them. Cars are great accessories to have. Especially a CL-class.

Good luck!! and keep us posted in your decision.

Last edited by amgluvr; 08-21-2008 at 01:05 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 12:18 PM

05 solara
warranty

Thanks for the replies.Few things are more clear now.I'll only look into 03 or newer,and only if I can get warraty with it or buy warranty after I get the car which doing all this within 22K budget will be extremely hard.I'm going to call the benz dealership and local "serious" benz service guys and ask for the price of a warranty on a 03 CL500 with let's say 70K miles and good condition.let's see where I go from there...Thanks again..Ozzy
Old 08-21-2008, 03:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
in sig
this is worth the extra money

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Merce...spagenameZWDVW
Old 08-21-2008, 03:58 PM

fleet vehicle
Originally Posted by ozzie1634
Thanks for the replies.Few things are more clear now.I'll only look into 03 or newer,and only if I can get warraty with it or buy warranty after I get the car which doing all this within 22K budget will be extremely hard.I'm going to call the benz dealership and local "serious" benz service guys and ask for the price of a warranty on a 03 CL500 with let's say 70K miles and good condition.let's see where I go from there...Thanks again..Ozzy
Ask them about the cost of non-warranty maintenance as well. There is a seller on ebay selling a Carlsson CL600, and he is showing an invoice for service A & a brake job that totaled over $4,350 (!!). I know they're different cars, but be sure you're prepared for the inevitable brake job, etc...

If you're not getting the CPO warranty, but a 3rd party maintenance plan, be sure it is exclusionary, meaning it will cover everything that is not listed as not covered. Conversely, inclusionary policies only cover what they specifically list as being covered.

Check with your insurance company. Find out the rates for you and the CL.

When you're shopping, don't fall in love with the car, don't let the salesman pressure you. Take your time, do the math. You will not enjoy owning a car you can't afford to drive.

That said, good luck and keep us posted....
Old 08-22-2008, 03:02 AM

05 solara
thanks

Qianlimoro,thanks.Although your explanations pushed the limits of my limited vocabulary(I'm Turkish),I think i got it,and I know what to ask for as a warranty.
All other replies,thanks once again,I have a better idea already.