CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

ABC Experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2009, 03:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
CL55, SL500, E350
Thanks. I will try as advice. You scare me though lol. The manual book said it needed 4.2qt of oil so I ordered 6L. I guess I have to get 3 more! These stuffs are expensive!!!
Old 10-05-2009, 03:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
W220 S65 AMG
Also make sure to drive the car around for a little bit so that the ABC oil warms up.
Old 10-05-2009, 06:49 PM

CL55, SL500, E350
Oxygen, I notice that ABC and Power Steering use the same fluid. They don't connect to each other, do they? I sensing the answer is no but I just want to be sure.

Just picked up three more pentosin CHF 11s from local Napa.
Old 10-05-2009, 07:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
Originally Posted by SLCL
Oxygen, I notice that ABC and Power Steering use the same fluid. They don't connect to each other, do they? I sensing the answer is no but I just want to be sure.

Just picked up three more pentosin CHF 11s from local Napa.
That one I can answer: No they do not connect as they are totally separate systems with probably different pressures, etc. I changed some of the fluid in my P/S side also by syphoning it out. Good luck and be sure to keep us posted with your experiences.
Old 10-06-2009, 07:32 AM

CL55, SL500, E350
I think what Oxygen described made sense but a gentlement from other site mentioned about changing the filter twice and I didn't get it. Also, he said I would need to ask the dealer to do the rodeo when done flushing. Is it neccessary to rodeo?

These are his posts

================
My indie (who retired from a MB dealership) told me it is critical to change the filters before you change/flush the ABC fluid. (I happened to stop by when he was working on a CL55 a local used car dealer - good reputation - brought in.)

After you do the flush, you change the filters AGAIN since they have collected the crap from the mileage/flush. Then you top off the ABC fluid.

Otherwise you will clog up the pumps and then you are in for BIG MONEY in parts cost.

According to him, the more you drive it the better it likes it as far as the ABC (and the car in general goes.)

I have had more experience with the ABC if someone has a question I will try to answer it or ask the retiree. I cannot respond in Internet time.

Then I would ask why we'd filter the waste oil.

I am referring to a flush of the entire system. Ivanj always takes a "systems engineering" approach, my friend.

(PM me for more experiences with ABC.)

You don't need to filter the waste oil per se since it will be recycled.

The existing filters are already compromised. The return oil goes through the new filters that catch the junk before they hit the pumps $$$$$ and valves.

Then you put in new filters for low $ and renew the oil $$$$.

The flush system you use maybe different - avoiding the new filters - but the MB techs were referring to the systems used by some MB dealers who made the investment.

The "retired" MB techs also said it is best to run the flush at the lower end of the pressures recommended. They said they have seen high pressure "quick and cheerful" flushes blow out the ABC valves and pumps - you don't want that $$$$.

After the service you might want to ask the dealer to put the ABC car through the "rodeo test." It is a necessary but not sufficient test to catch other problems (ABC pumps, for example.)

Hope this helps. Did I answer your question?
Old 10-12-2009, 11:48 AM

CL55, SL500, E350
More questions about ABC to the experts, please help

I have been busy replacing the motor/transmission/struts mounts on my SL500. Also, the CL started having transmission leak ...

Anyway, yesterday I planned to flush the ABC fluid. I got all the parts ready only to delay the process because I was too scare to continue with one BIG concern in mind.

I remember Oxygen said (in capital letters) that I not to use the used funnel ... so little chemical from other fluid might ruin the ABC system.

I do have the new funnel. However, (here goes the concern) I believe the current fluid in my ABC is the original MB brand. What I ordered (I was told it was useable) was the Pentosin CHF 11S. My manual says to use Mercedes or Pentosin but I didn't think they were the same.

There is no way I can get 100% of the original oil out of the system. If the Pentosin CHF 11S got mixed with the [left over] MB fluid, will it damage my ABC system?

Reading countless threads about ABC scare my even during my sleep!

Thanks again in advance.

SL

Last edited by SLCL; 10-12-2009 at 10:20 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 01:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2001 cl500
slcl: did you get ur questions answered? did u do the flush? did u do roedeo? did it take 9 liters? how long did the flush process take? thanks for all info.
Old 10-28-2009, 07:52 AM

CL55, SL500, E350
Unfortunately no [answers]. I guess I asked too many questions

In the mean time, I had to replace the transmission mount, the engine mounts, and strut mounts on the SL. Plus the transmission on the CL was leaking as I was trying to fix it last weekend. The steering damper on the SL went bad as well. The list goes on .... keeping me busy.

I am still hoping someone will help answering the questions soon .
Old 10-28-2009, 08:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

As mentioned in my post above, I changed the ABC oil and filter at the advice of a MB tech. However, during a visit to a different stealer the other day regarding an unrelated ABC item, I discussed this with the MB shop foreman. I mentioned to him that I had done the above fluid change and he said he wouldn't recommend doing it until the ABC system needed work. So there you have it. I guess it depends on who you talk to. In any event, I will change the filter and perhaps a liter or 2 of the ABC fluid annually via the syphoning method.
Old 10-28-2009, 08:49 AM

CL55, SL500, E350
I am still concerned about the mix of whatever ABC fluid came with the car and the Pentosin CHF 11S. Does anyone know that for sure? Thanks
Old 10-28-2009, 12:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I am still concerned about the mix of whatever ABC fluid came with the car and the Pentosin CHF 11S. Does anyone know that for sure? Thanks
While I'm generally a worrier of such things, I personally would not be concerned about this one bit. I know when I bought my fluid it had a different part # then what is in my MB manual for this oil. I called the stealer and they conformed the new part # from the old. I doubt very, very seriously that MB would make a new ABC fluid that is not compatible with the old, especially since it is used, even by MB stealer shops, to top off ABC reservoirs. If you're that concerned, call or visit your local MB stealer and talk to a tech or shop foreman.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I just checked my MB manual and while it shows the old part #, it also says Pentosin CHF11S which is what is shown on the cans that I just purchased. This may just be a part # change and nothing else. The old part # is 001 989 2403 10.

Last edited by Jud Chapin; 10-28-2009 at 12:47 PM.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:34 PM

CL55, SL500, E350
To be honest, I trust the info here more than I would from my dealer although I have been there for over 10 years. They would call me Mr this and Mr that but I know they just say whatever to please me and always want to grab me by my ankle and shake me until all my changes have fallen out!
Old 10-28-2009, 12:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

To be honest, I trust the info here more than I would from my dealer although I have been there for over 10 years. They would call me Mr this and Mr that but I know they just say whatever to please me and always want to grab me by my ankle and shake me until all my changes have fallen out!
You worry too much, just like me. BTW, what year is your car? You should show it as it will help others help you.
Old 10-28-2009, 12:40 PM

CL55, SL500, E350
Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
I just checked my MB manual and while it shows the old part #, it also says Pentosin CHH11S which is what is shown on the cans that I just purchased. This may just be a part # change and nothing else. The old part # is 001 989 2403 10.
My manual also say Pentosin CHF 11S but I was concerned that was just the alternate brand (I was not worry much until I heard you had to use the new funnel for the fluid). Apparently 1/10 of a drop of fluid could be bad?

My green can Pentosin CHF 11S indicates that BMW, PORSCHE, and BENTLEY but nothing about MERCEDES on the label
Old 10-28-2009, 12:45 PM

CL55, SL500, E350
Originally Posted by Jud Chapin
You worry too much, just like me. BTW, what year is your car? You should show it as it will help others help you.
It's 2005 CL55 with 25K miles. Yeah, I am a worry person. Always pay my bills two weeks in advance and never late LOL. I am sure I'd have you beat!!!
Old 10-28-2009, 01:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

My manual also say Pentosin CHF 11S but I was concerned that was just the alternate brand (I was not worry much until I heard you had to use the new funnel for the fluid). Apparently 1/10 of a drop of fluid could be bad?

My green can Pentosin CHF 11S indicates that BMW, PORSCHE, and BENTLEY but nothing about MERCEDES on the label
I personally think the new funnel, etc., is a bit overblown. In reading the MB procedures for doing the fluid change, is says to use the funnel, with a special filter BTW, for ABC oil only and to "keep it sealed and in a locked cabinet". I guess in a shop environment this would be important with mechanics using each others funnels, but I doubt that this practice is strictly followed. I used my regular funnel after cleaning it with degreaser and making sure it was perfectly clean. It was probably cleaner than a new one when I used it. The think the point is MB doesn't want any other type oil or dirt to contaminate the ABC fluid as a result of sloppy techs as the company could be subject to warranty claims. Just my two cents.

Last edited by Jud Chapin; 10-28-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 10-29-2009, 10:59 AM

02 CL 500
hey Oxygen

I got a 02 cl 500 with about 95 K on it.. I just had the system fixed ($1400). the system light came on one day then went off. I check the fluid and it was really low. So i add some. light didnt come on for about a month but there was this funny humming noise when i drove but it didnt coinside with acceleration so i knew it wasnt wheel bering but anyways. On day i hit a pot hole the light came on and fluid started leaking and then the car lowered on one side and had to take it in to get the front accumulator replaced ( Is that right)? now that i have the car back the noise has gone away and the right hieght is good but now....

It makes a grind type noise when starting it up right under my feet near the seat. I turn the car off and start right away and it wont make the noise... But turn it off and wait a few mins and start it up it makes the same noise again.

I took it in they said they dont know and will have to check a few things (ie $$$$ for no work done) what do you think this is
Old 11-14-2009, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by hf322001

It makes a grind type noise when starting it up right under my feet near the seat. I turn the car off and start right away and it wont make the noise... But turn it off and wait a few mins and start it up it makes the same noise again.

I took it in they said they dont know and will have to check a few things (ie $$$$ for no work done) what do you think this is
I got the grind noise on startup...its a bad ABC tandem pump
Old 11-22-2009, 05:13 PM

mercedes benz cl500
ABC issue

Originally Posted by Oxygen
Also, I do a lot of ABC repair/maintenance work so if you have any questions please feel free to ask... I know the system like the back of my hand and can answer most questions.
I own a 01 CL500 and noticed that the right rear "sags" after a week of no driving. When I back the car up, it repositions itself. I drive it, park it and then notice the sag about a week later after it sits. ABC light came on one time but that was it. Car has 64K miles. Does it sound as if the whole system needs replacement? Any ideas?
Old 11-23-2009, 08:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dan c
I own a 01 CL500 and noticed that the right rear "sags" after a week of no driving. When I back the car up, it repositions itself. I drive it, park it and then notice the sag about a week later after it sits. ABC light came on one time but that was it. Car has 64K miles. Does it sound as if the whole system needs replacement? Any ideas?
I think you will find this normal and nothing to worry about. In fact MB states this is normal in their tech write ups. The valves don't contain rubber o-rings as they obviously wear over time. The actual sealing positions are metal to metal and will have some degree of leakage.
Old 11-23-2009, 11:51 AM

mercedes benz cl500
Thanks

I really appreciate your quick response. Thank you!
Old 11-23-2009, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by dan c
I really appreciate your quick response. Thank you!
You are welcome!
Old 12-08-2009, 09:50 PM

2004 CL500
Gentlemen,

I have a new to me 04 CL 500 that I bought about 8 months ago. It has about 73k miles on it. The cars left side will not lift---and is sitting very low front and back. Went to the local MB dealer, and they said not to fix it there unless I had bags of money. The rep said it could cost anywhere from 3k-8k to troubleshoot and repair the system.

Any help would be greatly appreacited if this is a known issue/known part I can try replacing.

Thank you
Old 12-09-2009, 09:40 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2000 CL500 1992 300SE
Originally Posted by willy431
Gentlemen,

I have a new to me 04 CL 500 that I bought about 8 months ago. It has about 73k miles on it. The cars left side will not lift---and is sitting very low front and back. Went to the local MB dealer, and they said not to fix it there unless I had bags of money. The rep said it could cost anywhere from 3k-8k to troubleshoot and repair the system.

Any help would be greatly appreacited if this is a known issue/known part I can try replacing.

Thank you
If the car slumps on one side after idling for more than 10 minutes, an ABC system flush should clear up sticking control valves.
If otoh the car is slumping after being parked it is due to a leaky check valve in the valve block(s).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: ABC Experience