Looking into a CL500 2005-2006

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-02-2010, 08:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 E-350 4matic
Looking into a CL500 2005-2006

Hey Guys,

I'm looking into getting a 2006-2005 CL in the next couple of months when my lease is up. I was hoping to get some info from other members on the reliability and service issues on this car. I'll be getting one with low to average miles and a full aftermarket warranty.

Does anyone have any advise? This car will be my weekend car. My company gives me a vehicle which I use all week long and sometimes on weekends depending on weather. I'm hoping to get a couple of years out of this car before I lease a new one.

Thanks.
Old 03-03-2010, 12:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
as long as you have a full bumper to bumper extended warranty is an awesome car... after warranty expires repairs can be 4 figures a pop
Old 03-03-2010, 04:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
i would say 05 - 06 is the best years since they were the last.

ABC is a big problem on these. Have it checked for leaks in the hoses, hydraulics, etc. running a search will help with known issues.

the engine itself is pretty bulletproof imo, i love that 500 engine (we have an 02 CL500). mostly electronics to look out for.

also, check for water damage in passenger compartment of vehicle:

http://www.reedvalvesettlement.com/
Old 03-05-2010, 10:26 AM

2013 E-350 4matic
Ok great info, thanks. The plan is to have it checked out at MB for ABC issues and pretty much everything. I will buy an aftermarket warranty (bumper to bumper) and once it kicks in I will have any issues addressed by it. I'm leaning toward a 05-06 so I shouldnt have to many issues and If I deceide to keep it longer then the warrany period I'll buy another warranty.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:31 AM

2004 CL55
Even without the extended warranty - - - awesome car! Looks are holding up pretty well over time, the car was never common enough for people to get used to it and I still am met with surprised responses when I tell people "I have the old one"---they have no idea I'm driving an '04.
Old 03-05-2010, 11:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
Originally Posted by DoubleA
Ok great info, thanks. The plan is to have it checked out at MB for ABC issues and pretty much everything. I will buy an aftermarket warranty (bumper to bumper) and once it kicks in I will have any issues addressed by it. I'm leaning toward a 05-06 so I shouldnt have to many issues and If I deceide to keep it longer then the warrany period I'll buy another warranty.
I doubt there is a aftermarket bumper to bumper warranty. Bumper to bumper means just that...everything. As far as I know, the only policies having this coverage are the OEM's new car warranties. Even Benz's Starmark (different name now I believe) extended warranty is not bumper to bumper yet is rated cream of the crop. For example, the Nav and radio, among other items, are not covered. However, you probably need a warranty if you are not into repairing these cars yourself. Look at the excluded items when you are shopping for one. A lot of these warranties are worthless I understand. Chrysler's warranty seems to be a good one according to what I've read on MB forums. Good luck.

Last edited by Jud Chapin; 03-05-2010 at 12:21 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
As a side note to my above post, depending on your budget and willingness to take a risk, and for that matter your level of car repair ability, you don't necessarily have to have a warranty. For example, I purchased the Benz's Starmark warranty when I bought my '02 CL500 in '04, which had about 15K miles on it. I paid around $3,000 for it but never had use for it. It expired last October. Now I choose not to purchase a policy because of the above reasons.
Interestingly, I asked the service manager of my local stealer about such policies and he said he wasn't current regarding the better companies. However, he did mention that the problem with them, or most of them in his opinion, is that when the car is at the dealer to address a problem, the rep from the insurance carrier may take several days to get there to look at it. Further, he stated that if the problem does not surface while he's there, he doesn't hang around.
Anyway, just some food for thought for you to consider and again, good luck.

Last edited by Jud Chapin; 03-05-2010 at 12:08 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
starmark is great. my car was a CPO (so came with 1 year of starmark). they don't cover audio/video stuff and certain other things (armrest has bubble, wasn't covered). However, i was glad i bought it since my E class (02/04 build) had the dreaded glycol problem (valeo radiator, bad design), would leak fluid into tranny fluid, caused my tranny to fail at 45k miles. Even though my car was a later 04 build (this problem was mostly on 03s and early 04s), I still had the issue come up (thank you guy at MB factory for pulling one of the leftover valeo radiators on the parts shelf). They changed everything no charge. It's a gamble you take, you never know. i was offered the option for another 2 years (or 100,000 miles, whichever first) and the finance dept but opted out of the extra coverage. have not needed it, so it's really up to you. do you like stocks or bonds

Last edited by gaazmon; 03-05-2010 at 01:49 PM.
Old 03-05-2010, 05:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 E250 Bluetec 2002 CL55, 2000 430CLK Cab
I bought an 02 CL55 Late last year with ~65K miles and no warranty. I purchased the Chrysler aftermarket MaxCare warranty which has been discussed at length here (do a search) for $2800 which was a 3 year unlimited (believe it or not) warranty.

I simply took the car to a MBZ dealer and had them fill in the check-out sheet from Chrysler, which in my case meant about 500 in repairs to pass and then I was covered 30 days later.

My first trip in this week cost me $200 (Deductible) for an invoice that was $5014. They did require an inspection which was done the same day and I got the car back in about 5 days as they needed to order some parts.

Needed some minor things really (rear view mirror, seat heater, rear seal, water pump) which would have really left a foul taste in my mouth if I hadn't had the extended warranty.

And just to be clear this was a pristine car, with complete service records and maintenance since day 1......things are just expensive on these cars and the insurance is well worth it. To put this in perspective I also have a 2002 CLK 430 Cab and do not have an extended warranty even though the car has similar miles....in reality there is much less sophisticated electronic gear on that car and I have little to no issues keeping it running. I suggest that you look at a warranty that covers everything (almost) like the one I have or a CPO warranty from MBZ.....and you will only enjoy driving the car and not paying for it again like others that have bought older W215's and spend 50% of the purchase price within the first 12 months of ownership.

Best of luck.....you WILL love this car!!!