CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

2001 CL600 ABC Red Alert message (hydraulic fluid leak)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 03:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL600
2001 CL600 ABC Red Alert message (hydraulic fluid leak)

Hello everyone, after only a few hours of no problems, here we go again, it never ends with this car but still love to keep it alive, what a joy it is to ride this car!!. This time the red ABC alert comes on and as soon as I refill the hydraulic reservoir the message goes away (I now have fluid readily available so I don't make the problem worse) but a month or so later I have to refill it again. Looking under the car, I can not see any leaks but for sure there is one. Is there locations with the ABC system that would most likely leak, since after filling the fluid the car rides fine and it runs smooth as well as the buttons on the dash work also. Thank you all for the responses. This forum has definitely helped me avoid unnecessary repairs , specially by the dealers.
Old 07-14-2011, 09:11 PM

cl500 2001
Have you had the recall done for the hose (recall mentioned here http://repairpal.com/mercedes-benz-cl600-2001/recalls? You could have a leak at any of several locations. Take it in to the dealer and see if all the recalls have been done and mention the fluid issue. You may get a free fix out of it or at least have the problem identified so you can go to a indy or even do it yourself.
Old 07-15-2011, 07:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 84 Likes on 62 Posts
'16 S550 Coupe, '11 Lexus LS460, '02 CL500 (SOLD)
I get the leak fixed pronto as you could very well burn the pump up if the fluid level drops too much.
Old 07-15-2011, 01:33 PM

CL600
I was told a while ago from a dealer that the valve blocks were leaking internally. From the information I found here in mbworld, when the valve blocks leak the car usually tilts or sinks. This car does not have that problem, you can leave it for a month and it will be perfectly leveled. And if that is the case why would I have to add fluid since fluid is still inside the system. I do not drive it at all anymore, I've learned not to ignore symptoms, you are right, the cost increases a lot more if you do keep driving it. I'm going to see into the recall, but I read that the owners still ended up paying a lot of money to have it fixed. We'll see...

Last edited by AtlanteanTitan; 07-15-2011 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:16 PM

cl500 2001
You do not get charged for recall work. You can call your local dealer and give them your VIN number to see what open recall items your vehicle has associated with it.
I don't know how you received a diagnosis that the valve blocks where leaking if it doesn't sink over time? A internal leak in a valve block will not cause you to lose fluid from the system.
Old 07-15-2011, 02:53 PM

CL600
I thought so and thanks for the info, I'll call . Time to knock on their door again.
Old 07-15-2011, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 38 Likes on 36 Posts
cl600
check around the outside of the shocks for fluid residue, also around the pump for a leak. good luck!
Old 07-21-2011, 05:43 PM

CL600
Thanks again for all your inputs, the recall repair was done but did not fix the problem. Again they tried to have unneccessary repairs done and gave me an estimate of over $7K (replace both valve blocks, flush, rodeo and some other b.s.) got pissed off and when I accused the manager and the rep. there of unethical tactics, they played like they were insulted but I didn't give a sh*t. I decided to put on my mechanic's uniform and find out once and for all. The reason why there was no sight of fluid leak was because it was being collected underneath in the covers, which by the way the dealer failed to tell me. Took everything out, cleaned all underneath the engine and saw the leak coming from a loose clamp. I think most, if not all dealers can't be trusted. The whole repair cost me under $100 for the fluid plus 4 hours of cleaning and tightening all of the clamps. I think it was well worth the $7K+. I'm done with dealers... I learned so much from this site that they were not able to take me for a ride.....Thanks mbworld, This site rocks!!!
Old 07-21-2011, 08:44 PM

cl500 2001
You can help others by calling 1-800 mercedes and making a complaint. Explain what happened and what their diagnosis involved. Then tell them what you did to resolve it yourself.
The dealer must have seen the fluid on the covers when they did the hose recall and they are supposed to view the connections before buttoning it back up.
The corporate people don't want the dealers that do stuff like this to customers as it's bad pr and makes everyone suspicious of having any dealer work done.