CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

ABC Pump finally died

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-11-2011, 11:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts
2015 Challenger Hellcat, 2023 Ram 3500, 2005 E55 Wagon, 2019 GLC63s
Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
My ABC light came on this morning. First it was the regular color so i pulled over and topped it off, maybe slightly overfull. Came back out and started the car, this time it was the red message and the car handled poorly as a result so i took it into the shop. The only thing i can think of that i did yesterday was filled all the wheels from 30 psi to the 44 rear and 40 front that Brabus recommends.

The service mgr told me that MB is covering ABC failures on some cars with under 100k miles and less than 10 years old. If this is true im very suprised that no one on here knew about this and mentioned it. Anyhow they are diagnosing it so we will see what they find.

Need more info on this. Do I phone Mercedes Benz and ask them? Because I have spent $3500 on repairs on the ABC system already this year and I have a couple more sweating hoses that will need to be addresses next year when I pull the car out of storage.

R.K.
Old 11-11-2011, 03:54 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MBUSA is not covering out of warranty ABC repairs. There is no secret recall, or factory-paid TSB. I am in my MB dealer ten times a week, eat meals with svc manager and tech, and get incredible service and accomodation, including stretching of the goodwill funds. But there's nothing official for ABC.

Each dealer and zone manager has a goodwill fund, though, that they can choose to use on a case by case basis. If you are a longtime customer, have a really bad problem close to warranty expiration, etc then they can choose to foot some of all of the bill for you.

Bruce
Old 11-11-2011, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL 600
Saintz- Thats exactly what i was thinking. The low profile tires on the 20" wheels and the crappy roads around here dont help. Increasing the tire pressure is the only variable. Ill reduce the tire pressure and see what happens over the next week.

Radride- Beck Imports is right, they said this car is not covered(suprise) by MB. Im not sure what they were referring to really.

The dealer alternative i took the car to did a diagnosis and found multiple ABC codes, and metal particles in the reservior that they said came from the pump which is damaged internally. The looked at the cars history and mentioned the pump was replaced in 2010, but that some hoses ruptured 2 months ago. I knew about the ruptured lines being replaced from the previous owner. They think that one of these lines ruptured and ran the pump dry, causing internal damage. And mentioned that the metal particles are now running through the entire system.

Their quote for the proper fix $11,000. This includes all labor, a new pump, new struts all around, and other related components. My aftermarket warranty is willing to cover the pump and labor to install it, but is not willing to cover anything else. They said an alternative is to let warranty cover the pump and labor($2600), replace some misc parts like filters, seals, relief valve, etc and flush the entire system. This fix might work for a day or a year, but i should be prepared to replace the shocks down the road. Since warranty is covering nothing besides the pump i would be responsible for the rest, totaling $2500-3000. The tech showed me the tiny particles reflecting light in the reservior, they looked like tiny bubbles to me.

So...after some deliberation i decided to pay the $120 diagnosis fee and take the car home. The ABC light stayed off the entire way home. Im going to lower the tire pressure back where i was and see what happens over the next week. If this works then great. But i am fully planning on the red ABC light comming back on and when it does i will have to face this head on. I have decided i am not going to put any money into the ABC, its a lost cause IMO. I am going to find a way to make coilovers fit. The $2500-3000 i would have spent to repair the ABC will cover parts. Then will come the labor of removing the old components, making the new ones fit, figuring out the power steering pump, and making ABC light not come on. Im fully aware this will take a lot of research and phone calls. Ill also require a lot more info from these forums from now until finish. I guess thats it for this post, any further info will be in this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-...ver-setup.html

Last edited by 240M3SRT; 11-11-2011 at 05:29 PM.
Old 11-12-2011, 04:14 AM

W 215 CL500,S500L 2004, Lexus GS300 2008
Originally Posted by saintz
Guys, you are driving a $100k car with 100k miles. Obviously, stuff breaks. If you want a more reliable car, first don't get one with so many gizmos. A spring and strut suspension is obviously the way to go, but even that would wear out after 100k miles. Second, don't buy a car with 100k miles. If you bought a new C class, you wouldn't have these issues. If you want a 2 ton car to handle like it's on air (and only want to pay $20k for it) you have to live with the engineering tradeoffs and costs associated with a hydraulic suspension (and the maintenance associated with an older car).

You won't buy a Mercedes again because you bought an old, high mile, complex model and something broke? Stuff breaks on every car. If you want reliable, buy a new Toyota. Compared to other cars in the same league as a CL, the CL is a maintenance dream. Do you think people with Ferrari 456s and Aston Martin DB7s have $1k repairs? No, they have $10k repairs, on cars with a tenth the miles. The fact that you can drive a car like this for a few thousand dollars in maintenance is incredible. Most comparable cars will cost 10 to 100 times as much in depreciation and maintenance. An oil change on a Ferrari (or Ferrari powered Maserati) is in the $2k range. That means when nothing is broken, it costs $2k to keep it from not breaking. We should be so lucky to spend $100 on an oil change and $2k on a repair. Again, what we pay in repairs is less than what other high end cars pay in regular maintenance. What we pay in depreciation on 2005 and older cars is nothing compared to other comparable cars.
I bought my CL 500 for 5500 USD/ Plus 400 $ insurance i am underage.
Old 11-27-2011, 04:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 478 Likes on 424 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
Saintz- Thats exactly what i was thinking. The low profile tires on the 20" wheels and the crappy roads around here dont help. Increasing the tire pressure is the only variable. Ill reduce the tire pressure and see what happens over the next week.

Radride- Beck Imports is right, they said this car is not covered(suprise) by MB. Im not sure what they were referring to really.

The dealer alternative i took the car to did a diagnosis and found multiple ABC codes, and metal particles in the reservior that they said came from the pump which is damaged internally. The looked at the cars history and mentioned the pump was replaced in 2010, but that some hoses ruptured 2 months ago. I knew about the ruptured lines being replaced from the previous owner. They think that one of these lines ruptured and ran the pump dry, causing internal damage. And mentioned that the metal particles are now running through the entire system.

Their quote for the proper fix $11,000. This includes all labor, a new pump, new struts all around, and other related components. My aftermarket warranty is willing to cover the pump and labor to install it, but is not willing to cover anything else. They said an alternative is to let warranty cover the pump and labor($2600), replace some misc parts like filters, seals, relief valve, etc and flush the entire system. This fix might work for a day or a year, but i should be prepared to replace the shocks down the road. Since warranty is covering nothing besides the pump i would be responsible for the rest, totaling $2500-3000. The tech showed me the tiny particles reflecting light in the reservior, they looked like tiny bubbles to me.

So...after some deliberation i decided to pay the $120 diagnosis fee and take the car home. The ABC light stayed off the entire way home. Im going to lower the tire pressure back where i was and see what happens over the next week. If this works then great. But i am fully planning on the red ABC light comming back on and when it does i will have to face this head on. I have decided i am not going to put any money into the ABC, its a lost cause IMO. I am going to find a way to make coilovers fit. The $2500-3000 i would have spent to repair the ABC will cover parts. Then will come the labor of removing the old components, making the new ones fit, figuring out the power steering pump, and making ABC light not come on. Im fully aware this will take a lot of research and phone calls. Ill also require a lot more info from these forums from now until finish. I guess thats it for this post, any further info will be in this thread:
https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-...ver-setup.html
you should at least do a fluid flush and filters to try to get out the metal particles. that should be under $400.

though im hoping you find a cheap conversion option
Old 11-28-2011, 09:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts
cl600
you can get strutts are arnott for a lot less. i'd replace the pump under warranty and if needed get strutts from arnott. jmo.
Old 12-12-2011, 07:26 PM

W215
When your ABC pump went out did both of these Buttons stop working too? im trying to figure out if my pump went out...thanks!!

Old 12-12-2011, 08:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Nope. Both of those buttons worked for me when my pump crapped the bed.

R.K.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:56 PM

Mercede e55 AMG 1996
Hi guys,
I drive Cl500 2003, and I had the ABC fault on the dashboard for last couple of weeks. Sometimes in white saying visit workshop and since 3 weeks in RED colour DRIVE CAREFULLY.

I could hear a knocking from the valve which is on the abc/steering pump but since I had it RED fault I think I did not hear it. Then lowering and rising stopped working.

Today I plugged Star Diagnosis trying to find out the problem and showed me low pressure of 5bars only. When I was doing the tests car dropped down and I cannot lift it up anymore.

Is there any way I can lift it up somehow? Car is so low that I cannot drive and will be very difficult to put it on the recovery?

How to take the car to the garage and where is the fault? Pump or might be the ABC sensor only?

HELP!!!

Last edited by Beniu; 01-22-2012 at 02:13 PM.
Old 01-22-2012, 02:17 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

It's likely the pump. You kept driving it while it told you not to, and probably killed the pump. It is possible that it's something else too, or instead of.

If the car will not hold pressure to drive, you need to flatbed it to a repair facility. Why would you not know that? How else can you get a car to a shop if it's undriveable?

Bruce
Old 01-22-2012, 02:30 PM

Mercede e55 AMG 1996
There was no problem at all with holding the pressure. It was all fine. The only problem when red fault appeared was that lowering and rising stopped working.

Today when I connected to Star Diagnosis and was trying to find the fault I lowered the car, and could not lift it up anymore, as pressure was to low.

I presume this is a dead pump. Am I right?
Old 01-22-2012, 02:38 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

99.9% chance it's the pump that will not hold pressure, meaning it's dead.

Bruce
Old 01-22-2012, 02:45 PM

Mercede e55 AMG 1996
Is it possible to replace just the valve on the pump, where the knocking was coming from?
I know Mercedes sell only complete pump but I can get a second hand valve.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 856 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
If you have been driving with a bad pump, you also intrduced a bunch of metal particles throughout your system. Get ready, it will be a very expensive few years.
Old 01-22-2012, 03:40 PM

Mercede e55 AMG 1996
Even if I done about 100-150 miles on it?
Do you think this will be so bad?
What should be replaced? Pump, any filters, O rings valves?
Old 01-22-2012, 04:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Beniu
Is it possible to replace just the valve on the pump, where the knocking was coming from?
I know Mercedes sell only complete pump but I can get a second hand valve.

Do not get used parts. You will hate yourself for it. Do it right and replace the pump with a new oem one.

R.K.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,067 Likes on 856 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Originally Posted by Beniu
Even if I done about 100-150 miles on it?
Do you think this will be so bad?
What should be replaced? Pump, any filters, O rings valves?

At this point and along with a new pump, you need to flush the system a few times to try and get the metal particles out of the system. If not, you will grenade the new pump very quickly along with a high propensity to clog valves.
Old 02-11-2012, 12:33 PM

CL500
Hi just bought a CL my ABC shop notification comes on when on sport setting. What does this do exactly? i read a few threads and my car is sometimes lower when I drive it in the morning. It actually looks good that way to me. Will topping off the fluid allow my car to restore the low aggressive look. Sorry my car came used without a manual. Thanks!
Old 02-11-2012, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' CL55 AMG
The ABC Sport function basically makes your suspension more stiff and reduces body roll when cornering

You should never top off your ABC fluid because it will 'burp' itself until it reaches the optimal fluid level, sometimes this means it will actually spurt fluid up onto the underside of the hood and on the engine causing steam to come out, this happened to me a few times before i realized my fluid level was too high

If you car rides lower in the morning from what i understand this is fairly normal but might point to a leak in the lines or struts or a weak pump

The ABC system will automatically lower your car a bit when you reach a certain speed, i believe it's 55mph and MIGHT only work in Sport mode, but i'm not sure in this?
Old 02-11-2012, 03:13 PM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by esoteric83
Hi just bought a CL my ABC shop notification comes on when on sport setting. What does this do exactly? i read a few threads and my car is sometimes lower when I drive it in the morning. It actually looks good that way to me. Will topping off the fluid allow my car to restore the low aggressive look. Sorry my car came used without a manual. Thanks!
Is the message your getting white or red?
Old 02-12-2012, 09:43 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
CL600 2003
Originally Posted by CharlestonN
You should never top off your ABC fluid because it will 'burp' itself until it reaches the optimal fluid level,
This is incorrect, you should check the fluid level and fill as per MB stated method an level...
http://youtu.be/24f6005rJ9E

There are two markings on the dipstick, one for engine on, and one for engine off.
Old 02-12-2012, 04:29 PM

03' CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by slonar21
This is incorrect, you should check the fluid level and fill as per MB stated method an level...
http://youtu.be/24f6005rJ9E

There are two markings on the dipstick, one for engine on, and one for engine off.
This is correct actually, topping off means filing it to the top of the reservoir
which is not recommended by MBZ nor indy shops
Old 06-16-2012, 08:02 PM

2001 cl 600
nobody wants to give me a warranty on a v-12!
Old 06-17-2012, 10:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by nightmare cl600
nobody wants to give me a warranty on a v-12!

Especially a 2001 model... Your car is 11 years old. The only warranty company available to you now is either VISA or Mastercard.

R.K.
Old 06-18-2012, 12:29 AM

cl500, 560sec, s500c, e320cab, 560sel, 450sel6.9, cl55amg
i own a few benz coupes. i particularly like the 2006 215's.

principally because the earlier years had some issues.

i have acquired the 215's as cpo's and acquired the extended benz warranty.

the 2006 cl500 that i acquired in 2009 with 20,000 miles, threw its tranny at 30,000 miles.

otherwise, its major warranty complaints have been tire pressure monitoring sensors.

as i don't drive this cl500 on a daily basis, when i leave it in the regular suspension height, when i restart it, i always get a warning message. raising the suspension corrects that. and if i leave it in the highest setting, i never get a too low warning.

there is never any evidence of fluid leakage. the car is checked out by a benz dealer meeting its maintenance schedule. no problems with the abc system have ever been reported.

my 2006 cl55, which i also don't drive every day, if i leave it on the regular suspension height setting, when i fire it up, i always get an abc notice. which clears as long as i raise the suspension.

again there is no evidence of leaks. and the suspension too low warning goes away and does not return as long as i run the car.

regular maintenance at a conscientious benz dealership has never found any problems with the abc system.

closing, i concur with the "poster" that related the truth that these are sophisticated cars with complex systems, that will require maintenance. to own one, you must prepare for that. especially if you acquired yours used and without any warranty.

then, as the man said, the repair costs are entirely on you. and if you cannot afford then, then you may need to reconsider owning such an expensive vehicle.

it is somewhat like owning a used yacht. though you might be able to afford to buy it, the costs of owning it can blow you away. and you can learn that by looking at the number of yachts that are for sale.

my 215's are not garage queens. but, they are maintained at mbusa recommended intervals.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 6 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: ABC Pump finally died