CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Opinions regarding CL55 purchase

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-21-2013, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
M109R
Opinions regarding CL55 purchase

I may have found a worthy example of the "kind" of CL I'm looking for.

2003 CL55 AMG w/85K miles. Brakes changed last year. Rotors look awesome! Tires looks good. A/C is freezing cold!

Issues:
SRS light
ABC light....pump was changed last year. FYI, car raised and lowered just fine. Test drove for 20 mins or so, drove great!
Heated and cooled feature does not work on either seat.
Driver's side door does not suck itself in.
Keyless go does not work "chip not recognized" shows up on dash
Supercharger seems a bit sluggish at take off...once rpms hit 3K, this thing is a monster!!!!
I think I'm hearing the SC chirp.
Express window...driver's side is goofy...sometimes it goes up by itself, others it doesn't.

All this for $12,900 out the door...
Thoughts anyone?

I'm expecting to replace/change the following in order to bring the car up to snuff:
Spark plugs
Intercooler pump
Supercharger clutch
Old 04-21-2013, 09:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,069 Likes on 857 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I wouldn't touch if for more than 5k with all those issues. You could easily spend 10k+ fixing. Never buy a 215 CL with problems....especially ABC problems. There is a reason they haven't fixed all the issues.
Old 04-21-2013, 09:17 PM

M109R
So, you wouldn't pay more than 5k?
Where is the 10k in repairs coming from? I'm planning on doing the repairs myself.
Old 04-22-2013, 01:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CL 500
Originally Posted by RoCL
So, you wouldn't pay more than 5k?
Where is the 10k in repairs coming from? I'm planning on doing the repairs myself.
Go add the parts prices up before you buy. I would suggest you invest the $$$ in a lower mileage CL. The most expensive years are ahead of you with 85k. on the odo.

Many here do not do their own work. And they have the horror stories of $20k per yr in dealer (hence the reason most here call them stealers) maintenance.

If the dealer has to fix all of that? The car is already near salvage condition (parts car).

Retail on ABC struts are $2k a piece. You can get rebuilts with lifetime warranties for about $600 a piece. The same is true for most other parts. The salvage yard is where you get the rest of the parts you may need.

I got my 02 with 38k miles on it. VMI showed one ABC pump replaced under re-call. Nothing else significant. I would not own one past 75k

Last edited by MiguelsC2CL; 04-22-2013 at 01:50 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 02:19 PM

M109R
Prices

Definitely with you on the prices!
Spark plugs: $120 - $160 depending upon seller s/h.
Intercooler pump: $150 - $200 depending on Bosch/Johnson plus s/h.
Supercharger clutch: $800-$1,000
Replacement of internal guts for driver's door: $600- $800

Not really concerned about: SRS light, keyless go, or door not sucking in.
Dealer is checking the ABC stuff out...this is the biggest factor in purchase...based upon my initial analysis, the ABC light is on b/c of a leaky valve...I found a post showing how to "rebuild" them.

I suppose if I fix every single last thing, I will hit $10K. Honestly, the S/C chirp and ABC are the main considerations right now. The other issues I mentioned are just things I'm earmarking money for. Just trying to get a feel from the members about the sales price...

I don't really want a cream puff type of car, I want something that has a fully intact engine, transmission, supercharger, and ABC system. Honestly, I anticipate beating on the car a bit. The power this thing has is addictive and after my extended 3rd test drive on Saturday...I've decided CL55 is the way to go for now. Keep in mind, I don't really want to spend more than $20K to acquire the car, just b/c I know most repairs are several hundred if not thousands.

Last edited by RoCL; 04-22-2013 at 02:29 PM. Reason: Add more info
Old 04-22-2013, 02:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2002 CL 500
Here's info from NADAs "dealer only" value guide.

Rough Trade-In, Average Trade-In , Clean Trade-In, Clean Loan , Clean
Retail

Base:
$9,375 $11,700 $13,650 $12,300 $16,875
Mileage Adjustment:+ $2,650 $2,650 $2,650 $2,650 $2,650
Options Adjustment: $0 $0 $0 $0 $0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adjusted Value: $12,025 $14,350 $16,300 $14,950 $19,525

I paid $18k for mine ( a little high but the car was like new with records) about 2 months ago. If yours had 38k on it? The clean retail would be $23,275.

Last edited by MiguelsC2CL; 04-22-2013 at 02:56 PM.
Old 04-22-2013, 03:55 PM

M109R
Originally Posted by MiguelsC2CL
Here's info from NADAs "dealer only" value guide.

Rough Trade-In, Average Trade-In , Clean Trade-In, Clean Loan , Clean
Retail

Base:
$9,375 $11,700 $13,650 $12,300 $16,875
Mileage Adjustment:+ $2,650 $2,650 $2,650 $2,650 $2,650
Options Adjustment: $0 $0 $0 $0 $0

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Adjusted Value: $12,025 $14,350 $16,300 $14,950 $19,525

I paid $18k for mine ( a little high but the car was like new with records) about 2 months ago. If yours had 38k on it? The clean retail would be $23,275.
Thanks for the invaluable info! Good to know where the dealers stand.

For $6k more, I would prefer half the mileage and no issues! I, too, would have paid $18K...now I understand a previous post where someone indicated they would only pay $5K.

I get the feeling the dealer gave $8K-$10K for it. I haven't really negotiated the price any...just drove the car and inspected it. While discussing the issues, the dealer knocked off $1K real quick...time will tell.
Old 04-23-2013, 08:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 138 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
i bought my w215 (cl500) with 58k on the odometer. at this point in time the abc pump had already been replaced once. and i only had the car for 6 months before the replacement pump failed throwing hydraulic fluid all over the driver side of the engine bay. real fun

since then ive replaced the abc struts with coilovers and dropped in the cl55 amg engine (non supercharged) and i have no complaints. i love the car and it's solid as far as reliability (not with abc however)

my advice is choose early on in your ownership of the car, whether or not you want to take the path of investing what could turn out to be thousands on maintaining the abc system. or go for a coilover conversion set up. some people take great pride in the abc system (and also how much they've had to invest in it) and cannot fathom the idea of converting to coilovers. however if you have the choice before you invest money into the abc, then the coilovers might be the way to go

i paid 13,500 USD for my 02 cl500 with 58k (blue book at the time was 15,500) so the price you mentioned seems very reasonable in my opinion.

if you do some research on the supercharger you have, you'll find that it doesn't continually run. the "chirp" you're hearing is actually the clutch engaging the supercharger at a certain point in the throttle. however the chirping you're hearing may be evident that the supercharger may need maintenance at some point in its near future. i have no experience with these superchargers in person, i've only read about them

get the e55 amg if you like the performance but don't want to deal with the abc
Old 04-23-2013, 08:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2003 CL55 AMG w/85K miles. Brakes changed last year. Rotors look awesome! Tires looks good. A/C is freezing cold!

Issues:
SRS light
ABC light....pump was changed last year. FYI, car raised and lowered just fine. Test drove for 20 mins or so, drove great!
Supercharger seems a bit sluggish at take off...once rpms hit 3K, this thing is a monster!!!!
Express window...driver's side is goofy...sometimes it goes up by itself, others it doesn't.

Thoughts anyone?

I'm expecting to replace/change the following in order to bring the car up to snuff:
Spark plugs
Intercooler pump
Supercharger clutch
ask if you can have the car hooked up to the SDS machine so they can test the pressures of the abc system. the abc light may be indicative of a near future abc failure as mine was on/off until the red ABC light on the dash came on and the car was riding dangerously low to the ground

spark plugs can last a long time on these cars, some don't get changed until after 100k

transmission filter and fluid change should be high on your priority list based on the mileage you listed. ignition coils sometimes fail on these cars causing misfire codes, easily diagnosed and fixed with a regular obd2 scanner you can get from an auto parts store

i don't personally have any experience with the intercooler so i have nothing to say. the w215 also has a knack for going through tires kinda quickly. and if you're driving the car like i drive mine, expect to go through 2 or 3 sets of rear tires in a year

i also have an express window problem, sometimes it just stops instead of rolling down and i have to press it a second time. haven't had any other issues with it though. if you pull up the fuse diagram for these cars you will find which fuses are related to the suction doors and pull it and sometimes the problem will go away. but theres a good chance theres something that needs repaired and the problem will arise again

get a carfax to make sure the car hasn't been in an accident, the srs light could be indicative of an improperly re assembled airbag assembly

if you plan on doing all the work yourself, then these cars can be pretty reasonable as far as maintenance costs (excluding abc repairs)

good luck and long live the 215

edit: you can figure out how to do just about everything with these cars based on the information available on the internet. the engine is used in multiple mercedes models as well as the transmission and a lot of people don't have the patience or money to visit the dealer everytime something goes wrong

Last edited by ctravis595; 04-23-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:12 PM

M109R
Originally Posted by ctravis595
i bought my w215 (cl500) with 58k on the odometer. at this point in time the abc pump had already been replaced once. and i only had the car for 6 months before the replacement pump failed throwing hydraulic fluid all over the driver side of the engine bay. real fun

since then ive replaced the abc struts with coilovers and dropped in the cl55 amg engine (non supercharged) and i have no complaints. i love the car and it's solid as far as reliability (not with abc however)

my advice is choose early on in your ownership of the car, whether or not you want to take the path of investing what could turn out to be thousands on maintaining the abc system. or go for a coilover conversion set up. some people take great pride in the abc system (and also how much they've had to invest in it) and cannot fathom the idea of converting to coilovers. however if you have the choice before you invest money into the abc, then the coilovers might be the way to go

i paid 13,500 USD for my 02 cl500 with 58k (blue book at the time was 15,500) so the price you mentioned seems very reasonable in my opinion.

if you do some research on the supercharger you have, you'll find that it doesn't continually run. the "chirp" you're hearing is actually the clutch engaging the supercharger at a certain point in the throttle. however the chirping you're hearing may be evident that the supercharger may need maintenance at some point in its near future. i have no experience with these superchargers in person, i've only read about them

get the e55 amg if you like the performance but don't want to deal with the m
thanks for the heads up on the supercharger...i faintly recall it going away once the suoercharger hit.

the e55 is an interesting option...but i dont want a 4 door....gotta have a coupe

So, you really changed the engine in the cl500, Why?

Also, you've done a full coilover conversion? How does if ride compared to a 335i coupe, m6, 650i, or z06?

A conversion is of interest, just dont know what the cl wilk "feel" like once its done.
Old 04-23-2013, 09:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

i'm located by tampa bay florida and as i've told other people, if you're interested in seeing how it handles you're welcome to take mine for a spin. the only coilover set up for this car is by a company called strutmasters and i must say i am thoroughly impressed with the suspension. it rides just as smooth as the abc system if not better. and holds up exceptionally well in the cornering aspect. i thought i would hate the coilovers and just put the abc back on but i have had no issues. they just feel like a suspension you'd find on most sports cars (maybe a little more forgiving). i've had m3 owners impressed by how well the car handles if that says anything. it's hard to compare it to other models however

my 500 engine had the infamous "lifter tick" that these m113 engines can develop(through abuse, sitting for long periods of time, etc). and somebody put dirt and bleach in my gas tank and that just made the lifter tick unbearably loud, especially for a mercedes. so i figured instead of doing the valvetrain work or replacing the 500 engine, i'd just throw in the bored out 55 version of it since transmission/ecu and all that good stuff are interchangable. the boost in horsepower feels very nice i must add

and i agree, the 215 body styling is very desirable. and has the possibility to be a timeless design
Old 04-23-2013, 09:22 PM

M109R
ask if you can have the car hooked up to the SDS machine so they can test the pressures of the abc system. the abc light may be indicative of a near future abc failure as mine was on/off until the red ABC light on the dash came on and the car was riding dangerously low to the ground

spark plugs can last a long time on these cars, some don't get changed until after 100k

transmission filter and fluid change should be high on your priority list based on the mileage you listed. ignition coils sometimes fail on these cars causing misfire codes, easily diagnosed and fixed with a regular obd2 scanner you can get from an auto parts store

i don't personally have any experience with the intercooler so i have nothing to say. the w215 also has a knack for going through tires kinda quickly. and if you're driving the car like i drive mine, expect to go through 2 or 3 sets of rear tires in a year

i also have an express window problem, sometimes it just stops instead of rolling down and i have to press it a second time. haven't had any other issues with it though. if you pull up the fuse diagram for these cars you will find which fuses are related to the suction doors and pull it and sometimes the problem will go away. but theres a good chance theres something that needs repaired and the problem will arise again

get a carfax to make sure the car hasn't been in an accident, the srs light could be indicative of an improperly re assembled airbag assembly

if you plan on doing all the work yourself, then these cars can be pretty reasonable as far as maintenance costs (excluding abc repairs)

good luck and long live the 215

edit: you can figure out how to do just about everything with these cars based on the information available on the internet. the engine is used in multiple mercedes models as well as the transmission and a lot of people don't have the patience or money to visit the dealer everytime something goes wrong
By SDS machine, machine, do you mean an OBDII or the MStar thing? Forgive the question, I'm still trying to figure the diagnostic equipment out.

Thanks for he suggestion on the pressures...had not considered that.

Also, the ABC is not always red? Is there a different color one?

I'm fairly certain the door suction needs repair.
The only other thing I'm concerned about is the keyless go. I will research that some.
I will price the ignition coils next and get a carfax.

Dealer dropped the price to 11500 plus ttl..

Thanks for the solid feedback!
Old 04-23-2013, 10:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

as far as i know (i could be wrong) the grey abc light just means the computer is sensing something in the system isn't perfect where as the red light is very indicative of something serious going wrong in the near future (such as a leak or bad pressure reading)

SDS refers to the star diagnostic scanner. its mercedes special computer that tests just about every computer and sensor on these cars. it can be used to lower the car and adjust certain features like automatic folding mirrors. the SDS is also needed to make the ABC perform a "rodeo" test in which the computer tests the ABC system by making it dance around "youtube search abc rodeo"

in my opinion that is a fantastic price for a supercharged w215. but the fact that the dealer is dropping the price may be indicative that he's aware the ABC system might be on its way out and therefore he really wants to sell the car

i would not buy the car without getting a rodeo test done and a carfax

upon searching you'll find other people have repaired the door suction issue. i actually think they make "kits" to repair it yourself easily. it's never bothered me too much so i never fixed it. and i don't have the keyless go feautre so i have no experience
Old 04-23-2013, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

say you wanna take another test drive and just drive it to the closest mercedes dealer for diagnosis. if you explain the service department you just want the car checked out they will probably work with you
Old 04-24-2013, 09:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Without the supercharger on the 55k engine, you will most likely have less hp due to the decreased compression. Your car may make more torque down low but it is very unlikely that it makes a much power as your 500.

Take it across the dyno. It would be interesting to see what it makes. My bet would be between 230 to 250 RWHP.

Proven Power
4505 N 56TH ST.
TAMPA 33610

Phone : 813-988-3966
Email : provenpower@tampabay.rr.com
Old 04-24-2013, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I doubt Mercedes would've offered the amg 55 engine for 02 if the 500 engine made better numbers. Doesn't make sense to me but I'd like to get it on a Dino. What are the rates
Old 04-24-2013, 03:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Amg put out the na 55 engine from 01 02 and is supposed to come with a 350 hp rating as opposed to the 304 hp from the 500. I'm not simply running an m113k with no s/c. I'm running the N/a m113
Old 04-24-2013, 08:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Amg put out the na 55 engine from 01 02 and is supposed to come with a 350 hp rating as opposed to the 304 hp from the 500. I'm not simply running an m113k with no s/c. I'm running the N/a m113
OK, I thought you were running the 55K engine with no supercharger. Yes, the NA 55 engine from 1999-2002 will make more power and torque than the 500 engine.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
CL55 AMG

Issues:
SRS light

Thoughts anyone?

Spark plugs
Intercooler pump
Supercharger clutch
Seems like most of your concerns have been address via this thread already. One that wasn't was the keyless go feature. I kept seeing that same "chip not recognized" error when I was out test driving before I got my '03 AMG. At the time I didn't know that the chip was actually embedded in a credit card sized key and not the key fob that has the lock/unlock buttons on it. When I finally decided on a car, it came with 4 keys two fobs with buttons and two credit card keys with a single button). That credit card key is necessary for Keyless Go to work. At least two of the dealers told me that it was just a programming issue which it absolutely is not.
Old 04-25-2013, 02:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 47 Likes on 41 Posts
2009 SL550 Roadster Diamond White, 2008 CLK550 Coupe Obsidian Black
Originally Posted by lphillips1117
Seems like most of your concerns have been address via this thread already. One that wasn't was the keyless go feature. I kept seeing that same "chip not recognized" error when I was out test driving before I got my '03 AMG. At the time I didn't know that the chip was actually embedded in a credit card sized key and not the key fob that has the lock/unlock buttons on it. When I finally decided on a car, it came with 4 keys two fobs with buttons and two credit card keys with a single button). That credit card key is necessary for Keyless Go to work. At least two of the dealers told me that it was just a programming issue which it absolutely is not.
Yes, I think MY2004 and up was when they started coming embedded in the smartkey itself and not a separate card key. We have an 02 CL500 and it came with 4 keys (2 smartkeys and 2 keylessgo card keys).
Old 04-25-2013, 03:00 PM

CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by gaazmon
Yes, I think MY2004 and up was when they started coming embedded in the smartkey itself and not a separate card key. We have an 02 CL500 and it came with 4 keys (2 smartkeys and 2 keylessgo card keys).
Got it. My CL is a 2003.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:15 PM

M109R
Got it. My CL is a 2003.
Thanks for the 411 regarding the keyless go. What does the keyless go key look like? This car only comes with one key. It's a fob with the lock/unlock and trunk buttoms.

Is the dealer the onlh source for these keys and is it possible to program the key myself, through STAR, or only dealer?
Old 04-25-2013, 09:17 PM

M109R
Sorry to ask, but what does this credit card key look like?
Old 04-26-2013, 02:17 PM

CL55 AMG
Mine are both flat, black plastic cards with the same dimensions of a credit/debit card, but 3-4 times as thick. One side has the Merc logo and button. The other side is just the regulatory info and oval battery cover. This ebay auction shows one that has a broken corner http://compare.ebay.com/like/281039416014?var=lv&ltyp=AllFixedPriceItemTypes&var=sbar
Old 04-26-2013, 03:23 PM

M109R
Mine are both flat, black plastic cards with the same dimensions of a credit/debit card, but 3-4 times as thick. One side has the Merc logo and button. The other side is just the regulatory info and oval battery cover. This ebay auction shows one that has a broken corner OEM MERCEDES-BENZ KEYLESS GO CARD REMOTE KR55WK48028 on eBay!

Thanks for the info! Now, I just need to figure out how to program this thing.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Opinions regarding CL55 purchase