CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

New car for my wife

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2015, 04:40 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
SL55, Opel GT, 70 LT-1, BMW 745 turbo, MRoadster, 49 Stude truck, 69 Z/28, Ferrari project
New car for my wife

I joined this board 3 or 4 years ago when we were looking at SLK,s for my wife. We ended up buying an MRoadster. She loves the MRoadster, but was wanting a little more power. I may have over done it. Just made a deal on this beauty and it will ship to Guthrie, OK this week.

http://www.myhotcars.com/2003-merced...600-c-1080.htm

It passed the PPI at the closest MB dealer.

The CL isn't going to be a daily driver, but will get driven at least 2 - 3 times per week.

Last time on here, I had a whopping 2 posts, since we ended up NOT buying and SLK. I am betting I will be much more of a regular now.

I do virtually all my own work, so the DIY threads will be of the most interest to me. Looking forward to our new adventure.

Last edited by LynnBilodeau; 03-08-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-09-2015, 02:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 78 Likes on 64 Posts
05 CL65
Congrats on the new ride!
Old 03-09-2015, 12:16 PM

SL55, Opel GT, 70 LT-1, BMW 745 turbo, MRoadster, 49 Stude truck, 69 Z/28, Ferrari project
Very cool car Matt.
At first I was confused by the three different wheel sizes, then saw the MT specs for the strip and it made perfect sense.
Been debating whether to do any mods on Sherri's new car. For now, definitely leaving it stock, as she won't be drag racing. Still, good to know it is good for 10.7 with those mods. I am guessing IF you could only do one mod, you would to the ECU tune, am I correct?
Is your tune Renntech, Eurocharged, or other?

BTW, watch those K&N filters. May not filter as finely as the Mercedes filters. My brother still owns the shop we used to own together, and most of the MAF problems he sees are on cars with K&N air filters.
Old 03-09-2015, 01:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
Thanks for the compliments. The biggest problem you are going to have is once you and the wife start driving the CL you will not want to drive anything else.

The CL600 is going to be a few tenths slower than a 65 so 10's are a challenge with a 600. My tune is a Eurocharged. In all honesty, if I were limited to one mod it would be the Quaife LSD. I think it makes a bigger difference in every day drivability than anything else on these cars. Second would definately be the ECU/TCU tune.

Like you, I do all my own repair work so if you have any questions post them up. There are several people on here who are a big help when getting started with these cars. I have only had mine for a year and a half so I'm still learning myself, but this board has been a big help.
Old 03-09-2015, 06:29 PM

I will do what I can to contribute to the DIY stuff. I figured out a LONG time ago that these German cars (Mercedes, Porsche and BMW) are just not that difficult, and that the cost vs. DIY is sometimes dramatic.
Back when I had my repair shop, I worked on a 928 regularly. Clutch went out. Dual disc set up, and I was expecting a nightmare after calling the local dealer to see what they would charge to replace the clutches. Estimate was $1800 to $2400 (and this was in the mid 1980's).
R&R was surprisingly easy. I had the discs and PP out in about 20 min!!!!! I took the two discs and PP to a local specialty clutch rebuilder. He rebuilt both discs and told me not to waste money on the PP rebuild, as it was as good a new and had no hot spots. Took another 20 min to get it back together. Bill for rebuilding the clutches as $70.
Even charging for my time to drop them off, total bill was under $300, and I almost felt I was taking advantage. Still save the client a boatload of money. Started working on Bimmers about that same time. Only German cars I don't like working on are the VW's.
Old 03-09-2015, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

05 CL65
Yeah, I have learned the CL is more intimidating to start working on than it is difficult once you get in to it. I worked on cars for a living in the 80's and early 90's, stuff was pretty simple by comparison back then. Now is is a hobby I enjoy. Also, because I can do it myself and I enjoy modding I can afford more cool toys than I could if I paid someone else to do it. I am in no way a professional mechanic.

I too should take the time for pics and write ups as I mod, but just never take the time in the middle of a repair/mod. Sounds like you will do fine with a CL.

I just swapped out my stock intercooler pump for a Meziere WPS136 this weekend and thought about taking pics as I had to fabricate a mount, alter hoses, vacuum fill the system, etc. but.... Turns out my stocker was probably fine, just the dealership who replaced it under warranty for the previous owner aparently had no clue how to vacuum fill the system. Oh well, IAT's were 40* cooler this morning when I got to work than they have ever been when I parked at my office.
Old 03-15-2015, 10:58 PM

We drove the new car a bit today. Pretty impressed, and it is bone stock.
Attached Thumbnails New car for my wife-new8.jpg   New car for my wife-new5.jpg   New car for my wife-new.jpg  
Old 04-19-2015, 10:42 AM

Been driving this car at least twice a week. Haven't even put 1000 miles in it yet. We won't drive it in the rain, just because. After all, it is Sherri's toy. I remember reading a post stating the biggest problem with a CL600 is that after you drive it, you just don't want to drive anything else. I was surprised that we got just a tic over 20 mpg on the first full tank. Nice ride for sure.
Old 04-19-2015, 10:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 489 Likes on 433 Posts
Mercedes
These cars need to be driven often to prevent problems. Many suspension and electronic issues happen if a car sits undriven too much
Old 05-29-2017, 09:25 PM

Haven't posted in a long time, because, unlike most CL owners, we have just driven it regularly (once or twice a week) but haven't had issues. Wasn't sure if I would ever sell this car. It is a real blast to drive. Not as much "fun" as some of my more raw cars, but man, is it comfortable as a commuter. But, my angel of a wife really prefers her roadster. It is a serious drivers car, and I think she is ready for some professional driving lessons, and will be into auto cross. The big CL600 (only MB could build a beast this heavy and have the guts to call it a "lightweight") jsut isn't an autocrosser.

Anyway, after two years of SOME frustration, but mostly very enjoyable driving, I have just listed this beauty on CL locally. We will see what happens. Considering how well maintained it is, I believe it is priced fairly.

The write up is probably longer than anyone on this site wants to read, but I try to answer all the questions a prospecitve buyer might have. As far as I know, the only thing that doesn't work properly on this car is the massage feature in the seats. At least that's what Sherri tells me. I never tried.

Ad is here: https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/6153545078.html

Don't know if I will ever venture back into the MB world, but you never know. I have some serious projects lined up that will likely keep me busy the next 8 years!!!!

Wanted to thank all you guys for the awesome support. So much great info on this site. If any of you are ever traveling down I-35 just North of OKC, reach out to me. Would love to show you our great little town of Guthrie, OK, sit down and have a beer (or a glass of wine) and dinner.
Old 05-31-2017, 08:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 489 Likes on 433 Posts
Mercedes
Beautiful car ! Good luck with the sale !!

the location may make it difficult to find an enthusiast
Originally Posted by LynnBilodeau
Haven't posted in a long time, because, unlike most CL owners, we have just driven it regularly (once or twice a week) but haven't had issues. Wasn't sure if I would ever sell this car. It is a real blast to drive. Not as much "fun" as some of my more raw cars, but man, is it comfortable as a commuter. But, my angel of a wife really prefers her roadster. It is a serious drivers car, and I think she is ready for some professional driving lessons, and will be into auto cross. The big CL600 (only MB could build a beast this heavy and have the guts to call it a "lightweight") jsut isn't an autocrosser.

Anyway, after two years of SOME frustration, but mostly very enjoyable driving, I have just listed this beauty on CL locally. We will see what happens. Considering how well maintained it is, I believe it is priced fairly.

The write up is probably longer than anyone on this site wants to read, but I try to answer all the questions a prospecitve buyer might have. As far as I know, the only thing that doesn't work properly on this car is the massage feature in the seats. At least that's what Sherri tells me. I never tried.

Ad is here: https://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/6153545078.html

Don't know if I will ever venture back into the MB world, but you never know. I have some serious projects lined up that will likely keep me busy the next 8 years!!!!

Wanted to thank all you guys for the awesome support. So much great info on this site. If any of you are ever traveling down I-35 just North of OKC, reach out to me. Would love to show you our great little town of Guthrie, OK, sit down and have a beer (or a glass of wine) and dinner.