CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Yellowspeed Coilover rear spings conversion

Old 11-12-2018, 06:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 156 Likes on 135 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
Originally Posted by superfast
Ctravis- I read your other post & found out 1 of your Strutmasters is leaking that's why you're thinking about upgrading but why not ask for a replacement since it's lifetime warranty?

1 year warranty. i called and asked them if they fixed the ride height issue (they claim it should look like stock) and they acted weird and never called me back...
Old 11-13-2018, 09:35 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG Komp.
Originally Posted by ctravis595
What did you find out about the S class control arms and top mounts? Im at the same crossroads
CTravis,
I used the S Class control arms and front sway bar. I went with the slanted Top mounts and they fit with no issues.

For optimal spring rates these are my thoughts. If I had to do it again I would do 16 front and 16 rear with S Class sway bars. I have not installed the rear sway bar and really don't see much need for it with these stiff rear springs. The same rate on front and rear seems to be a good balance but the 20f and 20r is too stiff for comfort. If you look at the weight distribution of the car it is very unique. I think it lends itself for the same spring rate to be used front and rear.
1. The front wheels are positioned really far forward compared to the rear.
2.The engine location is really far back compared to the strut towers (good for weight distribution).
3. The rear has a lot of overhang past the rear wheels.
Again these are just my thoughts. Everyone please reply with any experiences with different spring rates. I have stock 18" wheels and stock size tires so I don't have any scrubbing issues and can't speak for anyone using 19" or 20" wheels.
Rick
Old 11-14-2018, 09:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Puerto Rick
CTravis,
I used the S Class control arms and front sway bar. I went with the slanted Top mounts and they fit with no issues.

For optimal spring rates these are my thoughts. If I had to do it again I would do 16 front and 16 rear with S Class sway bars. I have not installed the rear sway bar and really don't see much need for it with these stiff rear springs. The same rate on front and rear seems to be a good balance but the 20f and 20r is too stiff for comfort. If you look at the weight distribution of the car it is very unique. I think it lends itself for the same spring rate to be used front and rear.
1. The front wheels are positioned really far forward compared to the rear.
2.The engine location is really far back compared to the strut towers (good for weight distribution).
3. The rear has a lot of overhang past the rear wheels.
Again these are just my thoughts. Everyone please reply with any experiences with different spring rates. I have stock 18" wheels and stock size tires so I don't have any scrubbing issues and can't speak for anyone using 19" or 20" wheels.
Rick
Rick your response is highly appreciated

I ordered slant top mounts with 16/16 front and rear spring rates. I can see how 20/20 is too firm yet 14/10 is too soft for a car this heavy

for now I will forego installing any sway bars, if body roll is still an issue after the new yellowspeed kit then I will swap out control arms and add a front sway bar. I feel like I’ll be ok with just some pretty firm settings

good to hear the slant top mounts will also work with the w220 control arms( if I ever wanted to switch)

ill keep everyone updated on my experiences with these spring rates
Old 11-15-2018, 10:04 AM

2003 CL55 AMG Komp.
Originally Posted by ctravis595

Rick your response is highly appreciated

I ordered slant top mounts with 16/16 front and rear spring rates. I can see how 20/20 is too firm yet 14/10 is too soft for a car this heavy

for now I will forego installing any sway bars, if body roll is still an issue after the new yellowspeed kit then I will swap out control arms and add a front sway bar. I feel like I’ll be ok with just some pretty firm settings

good to hear the slant top mounts will also work with the w220 control arms( if I ever wanted to switch)

ill keep everyone updated on my experiences with these spring rates
Please do. I am curious to know how the 16/16 set up works. If you have not ordered them yet please contact Justin King at King and Sons Motorcars. They are a Yellowspeed Dealer and were excellent to deal with. He has done the swap on these CL's and will steer you in the right direction They mostly deal with European and exotic cars. He has a lot of knowledge on these vehicles.
King & Son Motorcars5.018 Google reviews
Auto repair shop in Delray Beach, Florida
Address: 725 SW 16th Ave, Delray Beach, FL 33444
Phone: (561) 450-7122

Last edited by Puerto Rick; 11-15-2018 at 10:09 AM. Reason: more info
Old 11-24-2018, 02:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Puerto Rick
Please do. I am curious to know how the 16/16 set up works. If you have not ordered them yet please contact Justin King at King and Sons Motorcars. They are a Yellowspeed Dealer and were excellent to deal with. He has done the swap on these CL's and will steer you in the right direction They mostly deal with European and exotic cars. He has a lot of knowledge on these vehicles.
King & Son Motorcars5.018 Google reviews
Auto repair shop in Delray Beach, Florida
Address: 725 SW 16th Ave, Delray Beach, FL 33444
Phone: (561) 450-7122

Rick, do you have any recommendations on ride height dampener settings? i understand my differing spring rates will lend to more individualized settings but i hear they are a pain to adjust once installed and i'd like to get the settings close to perfect the first time... if possible
Old 11-26-2018, 08:47 AM

2003 CL55 AMG Komp.
CTravis,
This is all I have for ride height set up. I have the height at 27"F and 27 1/4"R from the bottom of the wheel opening. It looks good and not too low. It is in here somewhere please search for the thread so you can get the instructions of how to measure the struts. I took a picture of it a long time ago and it helped get me close to the correct ride height. As far as clicks, I would start at 25F &27R and keep adjusting 2 clicks at a time either way until you get a good ride. Then go to 1 click at a time after you get it close. Good luck and keep us posted.

Last edited by Puerto Rick; 11-26-2018 at 08:54 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 12-01-2018, 12:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

it took me a while to find the other thread, your picture is extremely helpful as well. thank you
Old 12-03-2018, 08:22 AM

2003 CL55 AMG Komp.
You're welcome!
Old 12-03-2018, 12:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Sebmel123
Do you still have your 14kg Yellow Speed Racing rear springs that you did not use? If so, I would be interested in buying them...my 20kg springs are just not working out... apparently, these 20kg springs I special ordered for the rears, are just too stiff not allowing the shock to play it's important role. I can order a set directly from Yellow Speed, but I thought I would see if I can save a few bucks and you can help out a fellow Mercedes owner.
im having the same problem with 14kg rear springs , it’s not the stiffness of the springs if you are experiencing issues with bounciness at high speeds. Something isn’t right about these yellow speeds... they said they’d send me 16kg/16kg front and rear springs. They just sent the 20kg/14kg set everyone else complained about and said “sorry” when I emailed them about the problem.

Ive made new threads about these issues with more details. Maybe together we can find the solution to these yellow speeds because I think they have a lot of potential, however point blank; right now the strutmasters coilovers were much more safer at high speeds in my opinion. I can see exactly how Pmercury was just being honest about these being suitable for American driving, low speeds, not much twists and turns. I didn’t drop an AMG engine into my car just to drive slow and straight

it’s a shame because these coilovers seem to have no body roll issues, even without sways. It makes me wonder two things,
1. Is the causation for lack of sway the same causation for the high speed bounciness?

2. Would sway bars make this issue better or worse?
Old 07-01-2019, 11:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pmercury
Hi
with strutmaster you will sit high
no way to ajust
untrue. strutmasters themselves will trim down the spring to correct the ride height if you ask them to, I've seen one guy who went directly to strutmasters shop to have it done

here's another example of someone who replaced the springs on the strutmasters you claim is unchangeable, and seemed to have satisfactory results. you went through the trouble of ordering custom springs for your yellowspeed kit, why would custom springs for strutmasters be much different...

https://www.carthrottle.com/post/w3doox7/