CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Trunk Struts for CL55, CL500, CL63 W215 for $10.00 USD

Old 03-12-2018, 12:03 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG Komp.
Thumbs up Trunk Struts for CL55, CL500, CL63 W215 for $10.00 USD

I don't know if this has been touched on here but I was able to replace my struts on the trunk of my 2003 CL55 with AUTOFOREVER units Part # 33011580.
These are listed on their website for $10.00 USD for the PAIR!!!!
Autoforever specs only show them to fit the S Class. At $16.00 delivered from E BAY I thought I should give them a shot. They bolted on my car with no issues. The length and mounting points are identical to the CL. I don't know if there is higher pressure for the CL units with a slightly larger trunk.
The only other ones I found for the CL were around $50.00 a piece. For the price if they are not 100% correct i know this much.... NO MORE TRUNK FALLING ON THE BACK OF YOUR HEAD!!

I do have one issue where I can't get the trunk to open all of the way up with the hydraulic opener. (Is it supposed to do that?) It will go 3/4 open then you have to pull it up the rest of the way. I don't know if my Hydraulic strut is bad. The fluid had to go somewhere since I did have to refill the pump to get the system working again and it is kind of noisy when opening the trunk. Any Thoughts?
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (03-12-2018)
Old 03-12-2018, 01:05 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2001 CL500 AMG Sport
My trunk for my 01 Cl500 also only opens 3/4 of the way. Its also slightly out of alignment with the corner (drivers side) closest to the rear glass sticking up and not flush.

I noticed mine is big spring type hinges and not using gas shocks like the ones i found on the site you mentioned. Is that known as a conversion and does it help with gap issues? Sorry im still learning about these cars.

If the answer is yes then im gonna order me a set as well. At that price point you cant lose.
Old 03-12-2018, 01:30 PM

2003 CL55 AMG Komp.
No worries I am also new to this. I just bought the car and am working out the kinks. Does yours have the hyd. closer? I was going to change to the springs from an S class at the local LKQ then I found these struts. I don't know about alignment issues other than when the hydraulic closer was not working it was always raised about 1/2" inch on the passenger side hinge. I would have to push down on it to get it to align. Since I got the pump working again it will pull itself down correctly.
Rick
Old 03-12-2018, 01:41 PM

2001 CL500 AMG Sport
Originally Posted by Puerto Rick
No worries I am also new to this. I just bought the car and am working out the kinks. Does yours have the hyd. closer? I was going to change to the springs from an S class at the local LKQ then I found these struts. I don't know about alignment issues other than when the hydraulic closer was not working it was always raised about 1/2" inch on the passenger side hinge. I would have to push down on it to get it to align. Since I got the pump working again it will pull itself down correctly.
Rick
If you mean the soft close then yes my car does have it, and it works fine for the trunk. My drivers door works but i can hear the air leaking.... That's another issue for another time tho. I can take a pic to show you the gap issue in a bit. Its been that way since i bought it but my trunk lid has never fallen on me when I'm back there.

I guess the truck shocks replace the springs completely or do they sit along side them? I also noticed there are adjuster screws on the springs linkages. I havn't messed with them yet but i probably should take a crack at it. I have tried pushing down on the gap but it doesnt go down in that corner. Guess its gonna take a bit of messing with.

Last edited by Maclogos; 03-12-2018 at 01:43 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:25 PM

2001 CL500 AMG Sport

Here is the pic of my trunk gap on the drivers side. It’s not horrible and water is not getting in. It’s just kinda ugly lol. My car does not have the auto close feature either.

Last edited by Maclogos; 03-12-2018 at 02:27 PM.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:16 PM

2003 CL55 AMG Komp.
Will it go down when you push on it? Mine looked like that on the Passenger side before the fix.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:24 PM

2003 CL55 AMG Komp.
Originally Posted by Maclogos
If you mean the soft close then yes my car does have it, and it works fine for the trunk. My drivers door works but i can hear the air leaking.... That's another issue for another time tho. I can take a pic to show you the gap issue in a bit. Its been that way since i bought it but my trunk lid has never fallen on me when I'm back there.

I guess the truck shocks replace the springs completely or do they sit along side them? I also noticed there are adjuster screws on the springs linkages. I havn't messed with them yet but i probably should take a crack at it. I have tried pushing down on the gap but it doesnt go down in that corner. Guess its gonna take a bit of messing with.

I would say the shocks replace the springs maybe the adjuster screws may fix your problem. If you do mess with them make sure you take note on how many turns you go either war and write it down! so if it doesn't fix it there is no guess work on bringing it back.
Rick
Old 03-12-2018, 03:37 PM

2003 CL55 AMG Komp.

Here is a picture of the strut mounted.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:41 PM

2001 CL500 AMG Sport
Will it go down when you push on it? Mine looked like that on the Passenger side before the fix.
It wont go down if i press on it. It stays at the same gap.
Old 03-12-2018, 03:42 PM

2001 CL500 AMG Sport
I would say the shocks replace the springs maybe the adjuster screws may fix your problem. If you do mess with them make sure you take note on how many turns you go either war and write it down! so if it doesn't fix it there is no guess work on bringing it back.
Rick
Im gonna give it a shot this weekend. I hope it fixes it! Was there any differences for the W215 trunk from 01-03? Im gonna order the shocks today if its the same.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:09 PM

2003 CL55 AMG Komp.
It did not show any difference in part numbers for the 01-03 versus the later models. If the springs are working I would leave them in my opinion. But i a curious to see how the adjustment goes.
Old 03-12-2018, 04:11 PM

2001 CL500 AMG Sport
It did not show any difference in part numbers for the 01-03 versus the later models. If the springs are working I would leave them in my opinion. But i a curious to see how the adjustment goes.
Well.. The springs are pretty old. I assume original parts. Im gonna go for the adjustment and report back. I have read before of people having this issue and replacing the springs helped and for some it did not. I guess its kind of a crap shoot. I need to get under the springs anyways and clean out all the old debris from build up over the years. That im sure could be part of the problem as well.
Old 03-12-2018, 08:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Dont buy the gas struts if your car uses trunk springs !!!

there are two different trunk options / a hydraulic trunk closer (not the soft close ) which was optional . It will close the lid from the raised position by pushing a button. Only cars with the hydraulic trunk closer use the gas struts .

if you have the standard springs you do not have gas struts .
Old 03-13-2018, 12:33 PM

2001 CL500 AMG Sport
Originally Posted by tusabes
Dont buy the gas struts if your car uses trunk springs !!!

there are two different trunk options / a hydraulic trunk closer (not the soft close ) which was optional . It will close the lid from the raised position by pushing a button. Only cars with the hydraulic trunk closer use the gas struts .

if you have the standard springs you do not have gas struts .
Thanks for letting me know. I most likely need to source a set of new springs then. I noticed a big green button on my trunk lid and when i press it nothing happens. Could it just be the release button from inside the trunk? I guess it has to be there in case you get locked in the trunk not sure.
Old 03-13-2018, 03:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by Maclogos
Thanks for letting me know. I most likely need to source a set of new springs then. I noticed a big green button on my trunk lid and when i press it nothing happens. Could it just be the release button from inside the trunk? I guess it has to be there in case you get locked in the trunk not sure.
the green button is the emergency escape button

cars with the hydraulic trunk closer and gas struts have a red button to press and automatically close the trunk
The following users liked this post:
Maclogos (03-13-2018)
Old 03-13-2018, 03:46 PM

2001 CL500 AMG Sport
Originally Posted by tusabes

the green button is the emergency escape button

cars with the hydraulic trunk closer and gas struts have a red button to press and automatically close the trunk
Thanks for the info!
Old 01-17-2019, 08:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL 500
Auto close trunk

Greetings from Czech Republic! I have CL500 (C215) with automatic trunk opener/closer with hydraulic struts. Closing and opening ks running fine, but there was sometimes a gap visible same as posted on picture from someone here. It helped to change those struts..after I removed old ones I found, that they are pretty weak. I couldnt find new part here in Czech Rep.but i found, that the strut is practically identical to those from S class, you can use them too! By the way - you can determine if your struts are getting old by simple way - your trunk is closing much faster, than it is opening. Then try to remove one strut and try to press it by both your hands against floor-you should by barely able to do it. If it is easy, replace it;-)

Zdarec!
Carlos
Old 07-17-2023, 01:40 PM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
CL65, and S65
I know this is an old thread, but has anyone been able to confirm that the S class Trunk Gas Support works for the 215? I'm in need of replacement.
Old 07-17-2023, 03:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL 500
Hi! Yes, you can use those struts from S class as I mentioned in previous comment. Wow, it has been long time..I dont own the car anymore, I moved to W107 and W111, but I like to recall memories with my W215. After I replaced those struts, I had no issues with trunk anymore... Go for it :-)
Old 07-17-2023, 03:24 PM

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts
CL65, and S65
Thanks for confirming!