CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

2005 CL500 Wont recognize keys, no start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 05:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tundra, Suburban, W220
2005 CL500 Wont recognize keys, no start

Last year I bought a beautiful 2005 CL500 with a mere 45,000 miles on it. I've sorted a few things out, but no major issues in the first year of ownership until now. I'm not sure if I have a major or minor issue, but very perplexed nonetheless. I'm not mechanically inclined, but decided last week that I would start trying to do some of my own maintenance. I replaced the air filters, cabin air filters and the charcoal filters under the dash. I drove the car that day and the next and then parked it. When I attempted to start it the next day the ignition would not turn at all. The keys would not open the trunk, locks or initiate the panic button. Since then I have.

1. Replaced batteries in both keys to no avail. Keys function and have power according to the red light on key fob. I've even looked through my iphone camera to see if I see the infared light emitted by the keys as I've seen on several youtube videos. I saw no light, so assumed my keys were both bad as they are wear items. I even took one fob apart and cleaned it to no avail.

2. I ordered a new key from my MB dealer, it would not unlock or start the car. Cant see infared in new key either...maybe I have wrong camera...?

3. My indie shop said to try and jump it...that did not work.

4. Bought a tester to test cold cranking amps of battery. MB branded battery rated at 850 CCA came back at 775 on meter and 12.7 volts, so not sure if the 775 is really bad or not and part of the problem?

5. I'm not sure if this is part of the problem, but my steering wheel is not locked as I think it's supposed to be. It just turns side to side without locking which doesn't seem norman.

Any help and advice would be appreciated...thanks Bob
Old 06-21-2018, 11:05 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
Well you have done all the things that have nothing to do with the problem. If the new key won't turn in the ignition module then you have a faulty ignition module.That is not a DIY and do not take the car to the shop that said jump the car.
Old 06-21-2018, 11:10 PM

Tundra, Suburban, W220
Thanks, I appreciate the advice.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:48 PM

Received 795 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
Originally Posted by Hogdaddy
Last year I bought a beautiful 2005 CL500 with a mere 45,000 miles on it. I've sorted a few things out, but no major issues in the first year of ownership until now. I'm not sure if I have a major or minor issue, but very perplexed nonetheless. I'm not mechanically inclined, but decided last week that I would start trying to do some of my own maintenance. I replaced the air filters, cabin air filters and the charcoal filters under the dash. I drove the car that day and the next and then parked it. When I attempted to start it the next day the ignition would not turn at all. The keys would not open the trunk, locks or initiate the panic button. Since then I have.

1. Replaced batteries in both keys to no avail. Keys function and have power according to the red light on key fob. I've even looked through my iphone camera to see if I see the infared light emitted by the keys as I've seen on several youtube videos. I saw no light, so assumed my keys were both bad as they are wear items. I even took one fob apart and cleaned it to no avail.

2. I ordered a new key from my MB dealer, it would not unlock or start the car. Cant see infared in new key either...maybe I have wrong camera...?

3. My indie shop said to try and jump it...that did not work.

4. Bought a tester to test cold cranking amps of battery. MB branded battery rated at 850 CCA came back at 775 on meter and 12.7 volts, so not sure if the 775 is really bad or not and part of the problem?

5. I'm not sure if this is part of the problem, but my steering wheel is not locked as I think it's supposed to be. It just turns side to side without locking which doesn't seem norman.

Any help and advice would be appreciated...thanks Bob

- disconnect the battery for 30 min

try again

if it doesn't work,
- look where you have been working and lookup cables or plugs you might have unplugged or broken

check the fuses
The following users liked this post:
Hogdaddy (06-22-2018)
Old 06-23-2018, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 479 Likes on 425 Posts
Mercedes
Get this eis tester

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Fast-Tester-A...IAAOSwopRYcuod

i bet you blew the main fuses under passenger carpet
Old 06-23-2018, 01:37 AM

Received 795 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
then this too I guess
Amazon Amazon

was a funny Idea hearing a Paki shop trying to jump a W215 EIS
Old 06-23-2018, 05:10 AM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
W215 CL500 2005
Always take a sensible approach. One key might have gone bad...but, really, two??? No.

It's also worth noting that you can start your W215 with no batteries in the key fobs...that's not what the batteries are for. They are for opening and closing the car.

This sounds like a problem with the alarm system.

Get the codes read by a competent MB garage.

And...your car does not have a physical steering lock, so the wheel can be turned side to side (with great difficulty).

To see the infra red with your camera, move the end of the key round a bit while viewing...it will not fill the screen.

Last edited by renault12ts; 06-23-2018 at 05:15 AM.
Old 06-26-2018, 06:03 AM

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts
W209, W124
Issue with recent iPhones and MB keys is that you have to use the "selfie" camera, not main one.

chances of 2 keys both dying at same time independently are zilcho.

Picture this, you flop down on the couch and hit the remote to watch TV, nothing but snow on the screen.

You go upstairs and try the bedroom TV, same snow.

Would you believe that both TVs quit same moment? Or would it be more likely that the cable TV has issues?
Old 07-05-2018, 06:34 PM

Tundra, Suburban, W220
Car is now fixed. There was a blown fused caused by a short in the alarm siren. Replaced siren, no more short and car runs great. Thanks to all who replied.