CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Intermitten Limp Mode

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-31-2018, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL600
Intermitten Limp Mode

'01 CL600 had one good day (60 miles) after replacing Crankshaft Sensor and Harness, and both Camshaft Sensors and their Harnesses. Prior that it had a no-start issue, and all three of those sensors were throwing codes. Now I have to start and restart the car 2-3 times to get it out of Limp Mode. Once out of Limp Mode, it runs great. Fabulous, even. So ... what am I experiencing? Do I just need to put more miles on it and let the machine self-learn? Are the sensors I put in not exactly what the car wants/needs?

I disconnected/reconnected the battery to see if that helped. That set off a slew of codes that eventually cleared (ESP, BAS, ABS...). After this last test drive I'm down to only the right Camshaft sensor showing an error.

Another interesting thing ... if I do not erase the code(s), everything runs fine. If I erase the code(s), it takes several restarts to get it out of Limp Mode.

Any experiences with this will be appreciated.
Old 08-01-2018, 05:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 490 Likes on 433 Posts
Mercedes
Originally Posted by AustinV12
'01 CL600 had one good day (60 miles) after replacing Crankshaft Sensor and Harness, and both Camshaft Sensors and their Harnesses. Prior that it had a no-start issue, and all three of those sensors were throwing codes. Now I have to start and restart the car 2-3 times to get it out of Limp Mode. Once out of Limp Mode, it runs great. Fabulous, even. So ... what am I experiencing? Do I just need to put more miles on it and let the machine self-learn? Are the sensors I put in not exactly what the car wants/needs?

I disconnected/reconnected the battery to see if that helped. That set off a slew of codes that eventually cleared (ESP, BAS, ABS...). After this last test drive I'm down to only the right Camshaft sensor showing an error.

Another interesting thing ... if I do not erase the code(s), everything runs fine. If I erase the code(s), it takes several restarts to get it out of Limp Mode.

Any experiences with this will be appreciated.
yes a reset can trigger limp mode
just keep driving it to let it re learn
Old 08-04-2018, 06:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL600
Still getting Limp Mode about every 3-4 starts. 120 miles since clearing all codes. On the brighter side, the car passed Texas safety and emissions inspections, today.

Still thinking the car is working through some type of prolonged relearn. If it goes into Limp Mode, it comes right back out by stopping and restarting the engine. Tough one to figure out.