CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Replacing abc with coil overs help.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-17-2018, 02:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S600
Replacing abc with coil overs help.

I have a 2003 cl500 with an abc fault that no one knows what’s causing it. Instead of paying the crazy MB dealership $500 every few days to try and diagnose the problem I intended to put in yellow speed coilovers. I know I need a power steering pump from an s500. I won’t need sway bars, because I don’t drive the car vigorously. And I’ll just take out a fuse to fix the red abc light on the dash. The struts will cost me $1200 a power steering pump will cost around $100. Do I need anything else, how much will I expect to pay for labor, and could the local shocks and struts place around the corner take care of the job? All Mercedes independent shops have said they won’t modify the car. And one high end muffler place was charging me $7000 for all parts, labor, and “electronic coding” I already lost a 2003 s600 due to high maintenance cost, and I don’t want the same happening to the cl500. Thanks everyone.
Old 08-17-2018, 03:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Yes a good local shocks and strut place can do it because all you are doing is putting coilover shocks in. There’s no fabrication or customization . They are bolt on. You’ll have to shop around though as some shops don’t like to install custom parts, or customer supplied parts . A place that does custom lowering or lifting of cars can probably do it with no issue since they modify cars from stock .

You don’t even need to change the abc pump you can run the abc output hose to just recirculate the fluid in the existing pump so that the fluid doesn’t travel through the abc hoses in the car .
Old 08-17-2018, 06:01 PM

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL-500
I was quoted about $700 at several competent shops, but I ended up putting them on myself. If you're halfway competent, you can do it too. You don't need a lift (I just jacked up each corner) and there are several good videos on YouTube that give step-by-step instructions and even specify what tools are needed. Easier with air tools, however, but not absolutely necessary.

Make sure you use the YellowSpeed coil-over set (about $1K with shipping). You'll love them :-)
Old 08-17-2018, 06:08 PM

S600
I will have to replace the pump because the abc electronics are messed up. When the star scanner is plugged in it shows every type of fault imaginable. When the mechanic tries to do the rodeo test for example, he can’t. For some reason it’s like if it’s frozen. I tried replacing the abc control module to no avail. That’s when the MB dealership “technician” wanted an additional $555 to run further diagnostics on the car.
Is it easy putting on a used s500 pump on the cl500 or will it have to be done by a german car mechanic?
And since the problem is electronic (hopefully) are any of the abc components worth any money?
-Peter.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:13 PM

S600
Originally Posted by smartadze
I was quoted about $700 at several competent shops, but I ended up putting them on myself. If you're halfway competent, you can do it too. You don't need a lift (I just jacked up each corner) and there are several good videos on YouTube that give step-by-step instructions and even specify what tools are needed. Easier with air tools, however, but not absolutely necessary.

Make sure you use the YellowSpeed coil-over set (about $1K with shipping). You'll love them :-)
I saw the price of $1199. Is it the dynamic pro sport coilovers? Here’s the link to the website:https://yellowspeedracingusa.com/col...-mercedes-benz
Old 08-17-2018, 06:15 PM

2003 CL-500
Originally Posted by PeterS.
I will have to replace the pump because the abc electronics are messed up.
Is it easy putting on a used s500 pump on the cl500 or will it have to be done by a german car mechanic?
And since the problem is electronic (hopefully) are any of the abc components worth any money?
-Peter.
ABC electronics failing does not necessarily mean the pump is messed up. After the conversion, it will be simply circulating fluid at LOW pressure. Unless the pump is making a lot of noise, it does not need to be replaced.
Pump info in this post keep pump or replace
My experience: You can pay for the entire conversion by selling any and all ABC parts on eBay.

Last edited by smartadze; 08-17-2018 at 06:21 PM.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:21 PM

2003 CL-500
I saw the price of $1199. Is it the dynamic pro sport coilovers? Here’s the link to the website:https://yellowspeedracingusa.com/col...-mercedes-benz
There's also these guys in the UK: YellowSpeed Europe , 838 pounds ($1068 plus about $40 shipping to USA). P.S.: You need the "slant top" version.
Old 08-17-2018, 06:47 PM

S600
Originally Posted by smartadze
There's also these guys in the UK: YellowSpeed Europe , 838 pounds ($1068 plus about $40 shipping to USA). P.S.: You need the "slant top" version.
how long does shipping take? Because the us version it takes 2-3weeks from purchase date.
Old 08-18-2018, 09:56 AM

2003 CL-500

how long does shipping take? Because the us version it takes 2-3weeks from purchase date.
They all come from the same place (Japan:-) so shipping time is about the same regardless. IF they're in stock, usually 7-10 days. If not in stock, figure as much as 3 weeks.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 472 Likes on 419 Posts
Mercedes
Ok wait a second are you just trying to get rid of abc errors ? Taking out the system is going to give you even more errors regardless of your pump ! You can’t just put in airmatic pump to get rid of abc errors .

is your abc system still working but just has errors ? Or is it low on the floor ? Could be Something as simple as the sensors on the strut tops