Replace tandem ABC pump with ... ? power steering pump

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-26-2017, 11:53 AM

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts
2003 CL-500
Replace tandem ABC pump with ... ? power steering pump

Hi
I am replacing the ABC tandem pump with a regular power steering pump. I've read all the different forum entries, and the consensus seems to be using a PS pump from an S500/S430 without ABC. This would be part number 0024668601 .

Thing is, I have examined side-by-side several other MB power steering pumps from the same era (2001-2006). They all appear to be identical, except for the pulley mounts. That is, the pumps for the V6 motors and for E-Class, ML-Class, and smaller W220 like S280/etc appear to be identical, same bolt holes, same mounting, same hydraulic fittings. This would center around part numbers like 0034665401, 0034666401, 7692955535, 0034662601, 0034666001, 0044661401, 004466140188 etc.. I honestly can't find any difference except the pulleys (some use center-mount, others use 3-bolt like my 2003 CL500). It seems that any of these would bolt right up (if supplied with the 3-hole bracket).

Are there internal differences? Different line pressure? Any information most appreciated.

Edit 1: well, there is one question answered. The pumps that feature the 3-hole pulley flange will NOT work with our cars. The existing ABC pulley has indeed 3 holes, but is too deep to fit. There are no other 3-bolt pulleys readily available. The other pumps that feature center-mount pulleys not only always include the pulley (pressed on?), but also should align just fine.

Last edited by smartadze; 11-28-2017 at 04:49 PM.
Old 11-27-2017, 08:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
Are you going with a shock and spring setup to replace all the ABC components?
Old 11-28-2017, 11:35 AM

2003 CL-500
Already done a few weeks ago, using the YellowSpeed kit. Highly recommended, BTW, and I like it far better for everyday use than the ABC.

When I completed the conversion, I discovered a quick-and-dirty way to retain the ABC pump but avoid all the leakage issues one encounters when simply plugging the ABC lines. See here https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-...ping-pump.html (see Post #23 at the end). I could drive that way forever if I wanted, but I'd like to get rid of the heavy pump and lines and truly put ABC in my past :-)
Old 11-28-2017, 02:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,003 Likes on 810 Posts
E55, GLS450, GL63, GLE350
I get it. ABC can be a SOB!
Old 12-14-2017, 02:01 PM

2003 CL-500
Well, I have completed a conversion from ABC Tandem pump to power-steering-only pump. A few notes for those contemplating a swap. This applies to V-8 models only (not V-12).

1. Pump selection
As I mentioned above, I examined several Mercedes power steering pumps side-by-side, and found few if any differences. I believe that any pump from our era (2000-2006) for E-Class, ML-Class, S-Class, or CL (before 2001, no ABC) will work just fine. I myself used a pump spec'ed for an E350. Just make sure that the pump you buy contains two critical parts: a fixed, center-mount pulley (as above, the 3-bolt-flange types will not work) and a 3-hole, triangular mounting bracket. (see photo). MOST pumps for sale do NOT include the bracket, even if the photos show it has one. You must inquire of the seller. There are several Chinese pumps on eBay for from $45 to $80. The upper end pumps are made by PAO Motoring, and are of very good quality. I had excellent results with one of these. For example, new PAO pump with bracket, Part Number 0024668601 (for S500).

2. Reservoir
It would have been nice to use the standard integrated pump reservoir for this era (Part # 0004600183). However, it is too wide to fit the front cover and I was unable to find another type that fit. I re-used my ABC tandem tank, power steering side only. Just use the hose from the ABC side of the tank (trim a little on both ends for best fit.).

3. ABC tandem pump removal
By far the hardest part due to inaccessibility of the rear bolts. I used this excellent guide http://www.benzworld.org/forums/c215...val-guide.html
but he says it takes 1.5 hours. Don't believe this! :-)

4. Power steering pump installation
A no-brainer once the tandem pump is out. Re-used the mounting bolts, and the belt lines up perfectly. The power-steering banjo fitting bolts right up. You must go underneath and remove the little bracket that holds the PS flex-line to the PS rack. Once removed, you can extend the line the extra 6 inches necessary to match the new pump. Re-secure the flex line with a zip-tie.

5. Removing other ABC components
You can go nuts or just trim away a few. After doing the pump re-circulation mod from "Remove ABC but keep the pump" it was easy to get out the two lines coming from the front accumulator, and the accumulator and block itself. One writer has insisted that only one bracket holds the primary ABC line that routes over the bell housing, whereas others have said that you must remove the engine or drop the sub-frame to get at this line. On my car (late-2003 CL500) there were at least 4 brackets that I could see but not reach, so I'd have to agree with the Others. I left that line in place.

Overall I am very pleased with the conversion. Much lighter (14 pounds!), more space, and less noise - for less than $100.

Last edited by smartadze; 08-05-2018 at 12:28 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by smartadze:
John Choi (12-14-2017), postalet (05-13-2019), renault12ts (12-15-2017), wspen711 (01-28-2018)
Old 12-15-2017, 05:01 AM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
W215 CL500 2005
Excellent.
Old 08-05-2018, 11:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 s600
Originally Posted by smartadze
Already done a few weeks ago, using the YellowSpeed kit. Highly recommended, BTW, and I like it far better for everyday use than the ABC.

When I completed the conversion, I discovered a quick-and-dirty way to retain the ABC pump but avoid all the leakage issues one encounters when simply plugging the ABC lines. See here https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-...ping-pump.html (see Post #23 at the end). I could drive that way forever if I wanted, but I'd like to get rid of the heavy pump and lines and truly put ABC in my past :-)
I have a 03 S600 and I need to do the same conversations...pump and struts. Is there a reason you went with a YellowSpeed vs Strutmasters kit and would the new pump part number work for my 03 S600?
Old 08-05-2018, 12:27 PM

2003 CL-500
YellowSpeed is fully adjustable for ride height and damping, whereas Strutmasters is not. I have also read many posts on several forums in which users complain of quality issues and ride/handling issues with Strutmasters (but for sure do your own search).

I'm not sure if the quick-fix line-re-route above is identical for all years of the 12-cylinder cars, but from what I've seen it should be. Replacing the V-12 tandem pump is another issue - one can modify a V-8 pump to work on a V-12, but it involves making spacers etc. Search the forums and you'll find several how-to's for replacing the V-12 tandem pump with a power-steering-only pump.
If it were me - and your existing tandem pump is still OK - I'd just re-route the lines (recirculate back trough the tandem pump) and not replace the pump.
Old 09-06-2018, 11:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
I got a 2004 cl55 and just got my Strutmaster kit in, talked to the guy on the phone and said all I needed was the kit and that’s it, nothing else had to be done. After reading through the forums I’ve read many people talking about replacing the abc pump. My question is if the Strutmasters kit is plug and play or was the guy on the phone lying and other parts are needed?
Old 09-06-2018, 11:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2003 s600
Not sure but, if the cl55 has a hydraulic suspension vs Airmatic, then you need to replace or at least address the ABC pump. This is a tandem pump which assists the suspension and the power steering...like two pumps in one. Unfortunately, you cannot simply not feed the suspension side of the pump and think it will last long...this would kill your power steering. So, you either need to replace it with a dedicated PS pump from such a Mercedes or you need to figure out a way to feed it hydraulic fluid and quickly recirculate it back into the pump to keep it lubricated. There are lots of good right ups in this forum (Tenzero) is one including the the despridescron in this thread above.

Now if it has Airmatic, then you do not have to address the PS pump.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E55
Originally Posted by Sebmel123
Not sure but, if the cl55 has a hydraulic suspension vs Airmatic, then you need to replace or at least address the ABC pump. This is a tandem pump which assists the suspension and the power steering...like two pumps in one. Unfortunately, you cannot simply not feed the suspension side of the pump and think it will last long...this would kill your power steering. So, you either need to replace it with a dedicated PS pump from such a Mercedes or you need to figure out a way to feed it hydraulic fluid and quickly recirculate it back into the pump to keep it lubricated. There are lots of good right ups in this forum (Tenzero) is one including the the despridescron in this thread above.

Thank you for the info!! Knew something wasn’t adding up lol
Old 09-07-2018, 11:54 AM

Received 41 Likes on 37 Posts
W215 CL500 2005

It's a CL so will only have ABC.

Look at the Strutmasters videos...they deal with the pump issue.
Old 09-12-2018, 01:51 PM

Received 794 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
I said this 1000 times now
YOU DO NOT NEED TO REPLACE THE TANDEM PUMP IF YOU REMOVE THE ABC
JUST LOOP IT AND REMOVE THE LITTLE RADIATOR
KEEP FLUID FILLED
I posted this, just search the post and look

__________________________________________________ ______________________________
There are many versions and choices for DAS/Xentry Diagnostics for MB.
Ensure you have the right information before getting one. There is too much misleading info.
I’m a forum member and programmer who’s learned the hard way. PM me if you have any questions.

Last edited by pmercury; 01-22-2020 at 11:35 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pmercury:
amgpowerag (10-13-2018), Tommyboy928 (06-10-2020)
Old 11-03-2018, 09:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 157 Likes on 136 Posts
2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion

this makes sense but was not necessarily true in my experience.

My ABC side of the pump failed far before the P/s side failed. I actually ran my original strutmasters conversion using a blown Tandem pump, that still had functioning P/S. Eventually the p/s pump also blew

I do believe if I hadn't neglected the fluids/tandem pump, the power steering side of the tandem pump may have lasted many years. Unfortunately I was pretty careless with my tandem pump once it started acting irregular
Old 11-18-2018, 09:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by smartadze
Well, I have completed a conversion from ABC Tandem pump to power-steering-only pump. A few notes for those contemplating a swap. This applies to V-8 models only (not V-12).

1. Pump selection
As I mentioned above, I examined several Mercedes power steering pumps side-by-side, and found few if any differences. I believe that any pump from our era (2000-2006) for E-Class, ML-Class, S-Class, or CL (before 2001, no ABC) will work just fine. I myself used a pump spec'ed for an E350. Just make sure that the pump you buy contains two critical parts: a fixed, center-mount pulley (as above, the 3-bolt-flange types will not work) and a 3-hole, triangular mounting bracket. (see photo). MOST pumps for sale do NOT include the bracket, even if the photos show it has one. You must inquire of the seller. There are several Chinese pumps on eBay for from $45 to $80. The upper end pumps are made by PAO Motoring, and are of very good quality. I had excellent results with one of these. For example, new PAO pump with bracket, Part Number 0024668601 (for S500).

2. Reservoir
It would have been nice to use the standard integrated pump reservoir for this era (Part # 0004600183). However, it is too wide to fit the front cover and I was unable to find another type that fit. I re-used my ABC tandem tank, power steering side only. Just use the hose from the ABC side of the tank (trim a little on both ends for best fit.).

3. ABC tandem pump removal
By far the hardest part due to inaccessibility of the rear bolts. I used this excellent guide http://www.benzworld.org/forums/c215...val-guide.html
but he says it takes 1.5 hours. Don't believe this! :-)

4. Power steering pump installation
A no-brainer once the tandem pump is out. Re-used the mounting bolts, and the belt lines up perfectly. The power-steering banjo fitting bolts right up. You must go underneath and remove the little bracket that holds the PS flex-line to the PS rack. Once removed, you can extend the line the extra 6 inches necessary to match the new pump. Re-secure the flex line with a zip-tie.

5. Removing other ABC components
You can go nuts or just trim away a few. After doing the pump re-circulation mod from "Remove ABC but keep the pump" it was easy to get out the two lines coming from the front accumulator, and the accumulator and block itself. One writer has insisted that only one bracket holds the primary ABC line that routes over the bell housing, whereas others have said that you must remove the engine or drop the sub-frame to get at this line. On my car (late-2003 CL500) there were at least 4 brackets that I could see but not reach, so I'd have to agree with the Others. I left that line in place.

Overall I am very pleased with the conversion. Much lighter (14 pounds!), more space, and less noise - for less than $100.
good write-up. No one has discussed if the rear bracket (#112 23 603 95) "brace" from the ABC pump is still necessary for the P/s pump conversion. I can never get it to fit just right...and i've seen more than one video on youtube where the car's without ABC never had that brace/bracket? I'm really confused what to do
Old 02-05-2019, 05:11 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005-CL55, 2006-R350
Just replaced my ABC tandem pump with a $79 W220 power steering pump from EBay and everything fit perfect.
Search for used part number 0024668601
Careful if you buy a new one, as it might not come with a reservoir or triangle bracket.

The high pressure steering hose needs to be about 4" longer, but I believe that loosening the first bracket down on the rack will give me that length... I'll know later tonight.

I also have a brand-new, never-installed, complete set of Strutmaster coil-overs that I will sell for $400 + shipping (probably about $110 to lower 48) to anyone on this forum. This kit consist of all four W215 coilover shocks, with 4 ABC plugs and brass caps. If you are just doing an ABC pump recirculation, this is all you will need and it is 1/2 the price of buying it directly from them. This kit does not include the light module. Just message me.
The following 2 users liked this post by capn_shawn:
Baypoint (06-08-2019), Braydensdad42 (05-26-2020)
Old 02-05-2019, 05:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

thats a good deal on a strutmasters kit. it's a nice kit, just the ride height isn't the best. i think with sway bars added from a w220 the strutmasters is actually the safest coilover kit available for w215

you should be able to have the steering hose reach the pump just fine
Old 02-07-2019, 11:18 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
cl65
It's too bad we have not found a direct replacement p/s pump for the V12 cars yet. But at least the V8 cars are covered!!
Old 02-07-2019, 10:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WikedV12
It's too bad we have not found a direct replacement p/s pump for the V12 cars yet. But at least the V8 cars are covered!!
I think a pump from a m112 (v6) would work?

otherwise, all that’s neeeded is to swap the pulley from the m112 power steering pump over to a m113 steering pump
Old 03-17-2019, 09:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CL500 , 08 Lincoln Navigator
I have a 2002 CL500 with 47,000 miles and the ABC pump is junk. A year ago I replaced my struts with a strut master kit and it looked like 4 wheel drive it sat so high. After *****ing to them they allowed me to cut the springs without voiding the warranty. I cut exactly one coil off and the car sat 100% better and it felt better ( a little more stiff ). It handles pretty good. In reality a car that cost $90,000 in 2002 shouldn't have a ABC pump issue at 40 thousand miles so I just figure the rest of the suspension system was going to be a problem sooner of later and that is why I changed over. after driving this past year my pump finally started to make a lot of noise as it was ready to seize so I am doing the S500 pump conversion right now.

The S500 pump bolted right up BUT like a few others mentioned the hose to rack does not reach. It is short by about 5 inches and yes I did unhook the bracket and it pulled ahead about another inch but that's it. My biggest problem is the factory hose has a banjo fitting on the pump end but the S500 pump is a flare type fitting. The banjo bolt will screw into the fitting on the S500 bump but I wasn't sure if it would seal. Any advice, a link, any info would be much appreciated. Thanks !
Old 03-18-2019, 11:10 AM

2003 CL-500
In my experiments with other part numbers (in addition to the S500 one), I never came across a pump that used a flare-type fitting (all were banjos). Not that there isn't one - I just never came across it. And now when I look at pictures of the S500-application pump (0024668601) on eBay, they all have banjos. Not sure what you have there.

As to the length of the PS pressure line, every one I have helped with had plenty of length. You must remove the rear-most belly pan and find the bracket that holds the line to the crossmember. When the line is freed, it has enough length to reach, to a banjo-type fitting anyway . Maybe this isn't true for all years and models.

Best of luck figuring this one out. For myself, I'd return or ditch the pump you have, and at least look at other applications and part numbers.
The following 2 users liked this post by smartadze:
6badrotties (03-18-2019), biker349 (03-18-2019)
Old 03-19-2019, 12:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

ditto to what Smartadze says, my 2002 CL had enough length in the high pressure line to be stretched

I wish strutmasters would honor their lifetime warranty. I really feel their kit is more safe than the yellowspeed kit, yellowspeed can get unpredictable at times. main issue with strutmasters was ride height and some body roll (mostly just an issue because of my 275/35/30 rear tires) but im sure with a swaybar and some length cut from the springs, strutmasters might still be the best ABC alternative for w215
Old 03-24-2019, 05:01 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
02 CL500 , 08 Lincoln Navigator
I have half my problem figured out.. I had to unbolt a L shaped bracket from bottom of transmission to get the power steering line to reach the pump. I made a short bracket to reattach it and that part is good. Now, I am taking the fitting out of the ABC pump and using it on the S500 pump so that I can use the banjo bolt to connect the hose to it. QUESTION - Are there two crush washers on that banjo bolt fitting ?
Old 03-24-2019, 07:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by 6badrotties
I have half my problem figured out.. I had to unbolt a L shaped bracket from bottom of transmission to get the power steering line to reach the pump. I made a short bracket to reattach it and that part is good. Now, I am taking the fitting out of the ABC pump and using it on the S500 pump so that I can use the banjo bolt to connect the hose to it. QUESTION - Are there two crush washers on that banjo bolt fitting ?
ive always used two crush washers, ive never had a leak
The following users liked this post:
6badrotties (03-24-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 10:13 AM

2003 CL-500
Originally Posted by 6badrotties
Now, I am taking the fitting out of the ABC pump and using it on the S500 pump so that I can use the banjo bolt to connect the hose to it. QUESTION - Are there two crush washers on that banjo bolt fitting ?
Yes, MUST use crush washers. I re-used the old ones from the ABC pump, or find new ones on eBay cheap (they are M16 size as I recall). Might be a Dorman number as well at any auto parts store.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Replace tandem ABC pump with ... ? power steering pump