CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

2001 CL600 HELP PLZ my trunk won't open

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2019 | 07:40 AM

2011 C300, 2001 CL600
2001 CL600 HELP PLZ my trunk won't open

I just purchased a 2001 CL600 and the trunk won't open. The seller said it just opened last week, maybe the lock was stuck. Mechanic has no idea.

The key fob does not pop it. The button inside doesn't either. The valet key inserts but does not twist, and the slot is in the vertical position which I read somewhere indicated the trunk is locked in "valet mode". *** Update, I tried yesterday with pliers and did get the key to turn, it turns left, but it doesn't unlock or pop anything. It twists all the way around to the vertical position without triggering any trunk opening mechanism. I don't think it is connected. ***

I am wondering about this valet mode, and if there is a way to unlock it ? The key will not turn in any direction when inserted, but the button does press in (but does not open).

If not, is there a safe way to get into the trunk without breaking anything... the inside seats do not fold down, the only idea I have is the panel behind the license plate may come off pretty easily and expose some hole into the trunk? I tried this today but the bolts are very rusted and I can't do it myself.

I read on your forum all the time and fixed other problems through advice here so I thought I'd throw my own question out here and finally joined a forum. Thank you in advance!

Old 08-23-2019 | 11:36 AM

CL600 2003

The lock does not look like the correct unit, I don't think rear cameras existed on 2001 mercedes, and the license plate lights are missing as well, I think someone did some kind of modifications probably to bypass the pneumatic lock actuator system. This is what the lock should look like
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (08-23-2019)
Old 08-23-2019 | 04:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mercedes
If you got the key to turn with pliers , you also need to push up when turned to pop it . Just turning does not pop it . Twist the key then push up to pop.

If that doesn’t work You’ll have to take off the plastic license plate piece then drill a hole behind it to pull the release
Old 08-23-2019 | 06:15 PM

CL
Originally Posted by BenzBaby91
I just purchased a 2001 CL600 and the trunk won't open. The seller said it just opened last week, maybe the lock was stuck. Mechanic has no idea.

The key fob does not pop it. The button inside doesn't either. The valet key inserts but does not twist, and the slot is in the vertical position which I read somewhere indicated the trunk is locked in "valet mode". *** Update, I tried yesterday with pliers and did get the key to turn, it turns left, but it doesn't unlock or pop anything. It twists all the way around to the vertical position without triggering any trunk opening mechanism. I don't think it is connected. ***

I am wondering about this valet mode, and if there is a way to unlock it ? The key will not turn in any direction when inserted, but the button does press in (but does not open).

If not, is there a safe way to get into the trunk without breaking anything... the inside seats do not fold down, the only idea I have is the panel behind the license plate may come off pretty easily and expose some hole into the trunk? I tried this today but the bolts are very rusted and I can't do it myself.

I read on your forum all the time and fixed other problems through advice here so I thought I'd throw my own question out here and finally joined a forum. Thank you in advance!

here you go, next time use "search before posting the same questions over and over"
good luck

https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-...unk-no-op.html
Old 08-29-2019 | 07:38 AM

2011 C300, 2001 CL600
Thanks for the replies, Pmercury I've been searching this question for ages and missed that post. Thanks for the link. I'd totally see you on your "opening trunks tour 2019". I haven't had time (or tools) to do much with it but now it overheated so time to take it back to a mechanic I think. There was water coming in under the glovebox and a forum search helped me clear debris from the hood vent. I appreciate you guys!
Old 08-29-2019 | 07:40 AM

2011 C300, 2001 CL600
Originally Posted by tusabes
If you got the key to turn with pliers , you also need to push up when turned to pop it . Just turning does not pop it . Twist the key then push up to pop.

If that doesn’t work You’ll have to take off the plastic license plate piece then drill a hole behind it to pull the release

When I turn the key and push in, nothing clicks, nothing happens. If I need to push open the trunk, I can try that. As far as drilling and pulling release, where would I drill and where is the release? Sorry I am not car savvy and would end up on the wrong side of the trunk with a huge hole and no way to grab the release.

Thanks!
Old 08-29-2019 | 07:45 AM

CL
When I turn the key and push in, nothing clicks, nothing happens. If I need to push open the trunk, I can try that. As far as drilling and pulling release, where would I drill and where is the release? Sorry I am not car savvy and would end up on the wrong side of the trunk with a huge hole and no way to grab the release.

Thanks!
Hi

I solved that here
https://mbworld.org/forums/cl-class-...unk-no-op.html
biker349 (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019 | 07:52 AM

2011 C300, 2001 CL600
Well gawd damn is there anything you can't do?? Thanks Pmercury I hope Europe is beautiful today
pmercury (08-29-2019)
Old 08-29-2019 | 07:57 AM

2011 C300, 2001 CL600
Also I actually had seen that post previously to posting mine, and was going to go the "under the car cut through the plastic spare tire area" route but I have nothing to cut it with so had to wait on that. I will try disconnecting the battery for 30 mins later today. Thanks ! I think I skipped past that thinking "battery in the trunk, can't open to disconnect."

Blonde moment Thanks again
Old 08-29-2019 | 07:04 PM

CL
Also I actually had seen that post previously to posting mine, and was going to go the "under the car cut through the plastic spare tire area" route but I have nothing to cut it with so had to wait on that. I will try disconnecting the battery for 30 mins later today. Thanks ! I think I skipped past that thinking "battery in the trunk, can't open to disconnect."

Blonde moment Thanks again
my pleasure