CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Disasterh as befallen the ballistic missile (P0300)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2020, 01:18 AM

Received 175 Likes on 144 Posts
2005 S500 Designo
Disaster hath befallen the ballistic missile (P0300)

Now I am scared.
I wasn't scared before, but now I am scared. That which I feared has happened.

Drive fine; no problem.... accelerate hard and BAM CEL (initially flashing), followed by intense vibration.
Clues point to coil packs, but I still want to do a proper diagnostics on it before crying and parting with my precious money.

Finally got my generic OBD2 scanner, and initially I got P0311 (cylinder 11 misfire), then P0312 (cylinder 12 misfire), then finally P0300... multiple random misfires. Driver's side cylinders.
Coil packs and spark plugs are allegedly new. I say allegedly, b/c this is on a verbal promise and a handshake.

The fuel filter was last replaced in 2011, 60k miles ago. I've gone ahead and bought a new MANN W 720 fuel filter, as this is a relatively simple repair that needs to be done regardless, and may resolve the issue. Beyond that, what other potential issues can cause this problem?

This sucks especially because the car cannot be run while in this condition.

Last edited by Fried Chicken; 01-27-2020 at 07:21 PM.
Old 01-27-2020, 05:25 AM

Received 796 Likes on 617 Posts
CL
Originally Posted by Fried Chicken
Now I am scared.
I wasn't scared before, but now I am scared. That which I feared has happened.

Drive fine; no problem.... accelerate hard and BAM CEL (initially flashing), followed by intense vibration.
Clues point to coil packs, but I still want to do a proper diagnostics on it before crying and parting with my precious money.

Finally got my generic OBD2 scanner, and initially I got P0311 (cylinder 11 misfire), then P0312 (cylinder 12 misfire), then finally P0300... multiple random misfires. Driver's side cylinders.
Coil packs and spark plugs are allegedly new. I say allegedly, b/c this is on a verbal promise and a handshake.

The fuel filter was last replaced in 2011, 60k miles ago. I've gone ahead and bought a new MANN W 720 fuel filter, as this is a relatively simple repair that needs to be done regardless, and may resolve the issue. Beyond that, what other potential issues can cause this problem?

This sucks especially because the car cannot be run while in this condition.

yes probably is coil pack fail
if the whole side goes wrong then it can also be your voltage transformer

Maybe now you need real Xentry where you can see fault counter and 500x more info
The following 2 users liked this post by pmercury:
biker349 (01-27-2020), Fried Chicken (02-02-2020)
Old 01-27-2020, 07:44 PM

2005 S500 Designo
I hooked it up to a real MB computer with DAS (does Xentry give more than DAS?).

I did a fuel injector test and I got a few wonky issues on the suspect cylinder (11). The difficulty of the diagnosis is the issue seems to present only under strong load.
I didn’t hook up the fuel rail for pressure testing. Again, only under WOT does the issue present (independent of RPMs). I will be replacing the fuel filter and running some liqui moly fuel-**** cleaner
into the system.

If that doesn’t solve the issue, I’ll double check everything, and gap the spark plugs to a recommended 26/1000’s of an inch, as well as visually inspect the coils.

Should the car still present with issues, I’ll be replacing the coil pack with one from http://www.v12icpack.com (Clark is pretty damn impressive).
Old 01-28-2020, 06:50 AM

CL
I hooked it up to a real MB computer with DAS (does Xentry give more than DAS?).

I did a fuel injector test and I got a few wonky issues on the suspect cylinder (11). The difficulty of the diagnosis is the issue seems to present only under strong load.
I didn’t hook up the fuel rail for pressure testing. Again, only under WOT does the issue present (independent of RPMs). I will be replacing the fuel filter and running some liqui moly fuel-**** cleaner
into the system.

If that doesn’t solve the issue, I’ll double check everything, and gap the spark plugs to a recommended 26/1000’s of an inch, as well as visually inspect the coils.

Should the car still present with issues, I’ll be replacing the coil pack with one from http://www.v12icpack.com (Clark is pretty damn impressive).
Clark is the best !

Das is part of Xentry
depending on what year the car is it switches to DAS or remains in Xentry new interface

most important is the features, and that really depend on where you got the installation from
Old 01-28-2020, 01:36 PM

2005 S500 Designo
Originally Posted by pmercury
Clark is the best !
Yeah he was very understanding when I told him I will do everything in my power to not give him my business

Das is part of Xentry
depending on what year the car is it switches to DAS or remains in Xentry new interface

most important is the features, and that really depend on where you got the installation from
I think the version I used is straight from Mercedes. O2 sensors checked out. Fuel Injectors seemed wonky but not totally unreliable... would that cause a misfire on cylinders 11 and 12 under acceleration?

I was obsessing over the issue last night and someone else had the exact same issue (CEL under acceleration) and it seems spark plugs were the culprit.. the coil packs could be saved if the car isn’t driven. Car is going to stay warm and toasty in the garage until I find and clean out my spark plugs.
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (01-28-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 04:58 PM

2005 S500 Designo
I just pulled the spark plugs. They were *drenched* in oil. I have never seen anything like that before. Will report as I work on this.
Old 02-02-2020, 07:48 PM

CL
I just pulled the spark plugs. They were *drenched* in oil. I have never seen anything like that before. Will report as I work on this.
if you have oil on the outside of the spark plugs then you have a very common problem
just replace the 2 valve covers gaskets

Fried Chicken (02-02-2020)
Old 02-02-2020, 07:50 PM

2005 S500 Designo
Originally Posted by pmercury
if you have oil on the outside of the spark plugs then you have a very common problem
just replace the 2 valve covers gaskets
Yeah that’s what I immediately suspect, but the valve cover gaskets have already been replaced and don’t appear to be leaking oil. Perhaps the oil is there from before the valve cover gaskets were done.
I also noticed a bunch of sooty-**** on the pistons.

I’ve posted a continuation to this thread here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/m275-v12-...ml#post7970423
Old 02-16-2020, 03:43 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
W221 S500 2010
My two cents:

While reading through the forums the other day, I came across a similar case. The culprit happened to be a clogged catalytic converter. It could swallow enough exhaust gas under light driving, but on heavy loads it couldn't, generated back pressure, and ECU intervened to protect engine (or O2 sensors, I don't remeber well). If it is only one of the catalytic converters it will only affect one cylinder bank (rings a bell, eh?)

Te best thing is that it is easy to check by physically removing the affected side O2 sensor. Exhaust gas will "escape" through the hole, there will be no pressure buildup and the misfiring episode will not show up. Solution if that is the case: empty the catalytic converter ("gut" it, they said).
biker349 (02-16-2020)
Old 02-16-2020, 08:21 PM

2005 S500 Designo
Originally Posted by joseluu
My two cents:

While reading through the forums the other day, I came across a similar case. The culprit happened to be a clogged catalytic converter. It could swallow enough exhaust gas under light driving, but on heavy loads it couldn't, generated back pressure, and ECU intervened to protect engine (or O2 sensors, I don't remeber well). If it is only one of the catalytic converters it will only affect one cylinder bank (rings a bell, eh?)

Te best thing is that it is easy to check by physically removing the affected side O2 sensor. Exhaust gas will "escape" through the hole, there will be no pressure buildup and the misfiring episode will not show up. Solution if that is the case: empty the catalytic converter ("gut" it, they said).
Right now it appears a replacement coil pack solved the problem.
BoxxMann (02-18-2020)
Old 02-18-2020, 02:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
02 CL500 | 06 E350 4M
I have a P308/305/300 on my CL500 - can someone give me the cylinder numbering and firing order for the M113 engine...loads of conflicting information out there. @Fried Chicken I'm suspicious that those coil packs are new...and the 600's like to have them replaced
Old 02-18-2020, 03:03 PM

2005 S500 Designo
I’ve posted a continuation to this thread here:
https://mbworld.org/forums/m275-v12-...ml#post7970423