CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Cl500/600 160mph speedometer to AMG 200mph speedometer swap/rebuild

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-05-2020 | 12:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2002 CL500 to CL55 conversion
Cl500/600 160mph speedometer to AMG 200mph speedometer swap/rebuild

After a few years of keeping an eye out loosely, I’ve found a good deal on a used 200mph/“AMG” instrument cluster. Main difference besides the speedo reaching 200 and the amg logo seem to be the addition of the “Bosch” logo on the left side, and the font of the numbers and letters are a bit more squared off

the reason the cluster is such a good deal, is that the unit has some cloudiness on the glass and the time/clock led screen in the bottom right of the cluster has some scrambled/dead pixels

From what I’ve seen, the clusters can be disassembled with some basic tools and a soldering iron. And luckily the LeD screens are very easily disconnected/replaced instead of being soldered to the circuit board with 100 different connections

I wanted to create this thread to document my findings whether the clusters are entirely plug and play, whether any software changes are necessary for the swap to 200mph, etc. in the process I may replace the three transformers in the cluster known to fail after 5-10 years
Old 12-05-2020 | 07:28 PM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by ctravis595

I wanted to create this thread to document my findings whether the clusters are entirely plug and play, whether any software changes are necessary for the swap to 200mph, etc.
don't waist your time
all known info
Old 12-10-2020 | 05:25 PM

C215 600TT
Actually, I have to say - there's a lot of info out there pertaining to this particular swap, but it might be good to have it in one place.

If you don't mind ctravis595, I might join you on this journey!

I have an AMG cluster and before buying it, I called a local STAR man, who told me that as long as the mileage is lower than that of the car, it will eventually pick up the car's stored mileage. No idea how accurate this is as I am not a STAR man and there is a plethora of info out there that is all rather confusing when you don't understand coding/XENTRY etc.

On his advice, I had the new cluster zero'd and returned to me. Upon plugging it in, sure enough I got the ------ across the screen. No biggy, I'm sure there's an answer, but thought I might just share my other findings so far as OP and I are going for the same goal here.
  • The screen appears to be higher resolution, I noticed this when I checked the navigation; you have to really look to see the pixels, so that's nice.
  • I think some of the menus are missing - my power folding mirror menu is definitely not there (bit annoying)
  • The mpg all reset
  • The service indicator was wrong (my B service due in 8200 miles, so I just reset it and will have the service done at the right time)
  • All the convenience features that were available were different
  • RPMs were correct
  • Speedo was correct
  • Temperature was well off but began dropping quite quickly
  • C/S transmission modes switch fine
  • Time was correct
  • VISEEO phone was in the top right corner rather than the centre - as was the word NAVI

Just a matter of making the mileage wake up and adding my mirrors back in.

Do we think my local STAR man got it wrong? Will my mileage come back or am I doomed!

New AMG Cluster

Original CL Cluster
Old 12-10-2020 | 06:09 PM

CL
it is the exact same cluster guys
only the dial has been changed and firmware inside
which can be changed
not with your star
btw, you have the ugly dual dial

Last edited by pmercury; 12-10-2020 at 06:11 PM.
Old 12-10-2020 | 06:14 PM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
if you find a dial you can turn any 600 cluster into a real AMG in minutes
there are 3 dials, KMH MPH and the ugly MPH/KMH
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (12-11-2020)
Old 12-10-2020 | 06:19 PM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
+ the custom 400KMH

ukcl600 (12-13-2020)
Old 12-10-2020 | 08:12 PM

C215 600TT
Ok, this is good to know. If you know how!

Firstly, I'd like to point out that the dual speed measurement opinion is of course; subjective. It's normal here - in fact, I don't think you can buy a car without both in the UK, which I guess lends well to local tastes and thus I'm sure I'm not the only one that prefers the dual system.

Expert insights are extremely valuable all the same - I'm sure the OP is as keen as myself to understand how to make this work. Firmware is a bit over my head - how does one update/alter it? I doubt this is something I can do; there's not exactly a USB socket on the back!

If ctravis builds his final cluster out of parts, and I have an original plus this working AMG version, to save the next guy scouring the internet for the kazillion answers all over the place, might we exercise your combined expertise in a definitive list of steps/parts to change to convert the original unit? It would compliment the OP's upcoming documentation really well.
Old 12-10-2020 | 08:29 PM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by ukcl600
Ok, this is good to know. If you know how!

Firstly, I'd like to point out that the dual speed measurement opinion is of course; subjective. It's normal here - in fact, I don't think you can buy a car without both in the UK, which I guess lends well to local tastes and thus I'm sure I'm not the only one that prefers the dual system.

Expert insights are extremely valuable all the same - I'm sure the OP is as keen as myself to understand how to make this work. Firmware is a bit over my head - how does one update/alter it? I doubt this is something I can do; there's not exactly a USB socket on the back!

If ctravis builds his final cluster out of parts, and I have an original plus this working AMG version, to save the next guy scouring the internet for the kazillion answers all over the place, might we exercise your combined expertise in a definitive list of steps/parts to change to convert the original unit? It would compliment the OP's upcoming documentation really well.

There is a misunderstanding here
My first response points only to firmware
I just want him to avoid wasting his time on thing already known and nothing to discover

in terms of having fun with soldering and swapping parts ect.n keep in mind that this is the same cluster
if you have a AMG not working and a non AMG working, no tools for programming, just swap the eeprom and dial and you are done
also jeep in mind that there are some fragile parts and that the front should be manipulated dust and fat free, unless you want crap behind the glass

any more programming questions, feel free to ask me

good luck

biker349 (12-11-2020)
Old 12-10-2020 | 08:45 PM

C215 600TT
Great advice!

Ok, I'm sure there are plenty of how-to's on swapping the eprom. As for the dial, do you mean the complete dial assembly? Or just the middle bit with the LCD screen that slides out? Pardon my ignorance, I think I (and maybe others) could just do with a definition of what you refer to as the 'dial'.
Old 12-10-2020 | 08:53 PM

CL
Great advice!

Ok, I'm sure there are plenty of how-to's on swapping the eprom. As for the dial, do you mean the complete dial assembly? Or just the middle bit with the LCD screen that slides out? Pardon my ignorance, I think I (and maybe others) could just do with a definition of what you refer to as the 'dial'.
sure dial > black plastic printed plated with numbers ect
Old 12-10-2020 | 09:08 PM

C215 600TT
Just the black plastic 'image' plate part? But none of the numbers line up
How does the stepper motor know where 155 mph is; and the rev counter know where 5000rpm is? All the intervals are closer together - there has to be more to it than just changing the image - or is that what the eprom is for?

Are we taking the eprom and 'dial' from the AMG unit? I thought the eprom was responsible for one of the mileage storage locations.
Old 12-10-2020 | 09:11 PM

CL
Just the black plastic 'image' plate part? But none of the numbers line up
How does the stepper motor know where 155 mph is; and the rev counter know where 5000rpm is? All the intervals are closer together - there has to be more to it than just changing the image - or is that what the eprom is for?

Are we taking the eprom and 'dial' from the AMG unit? I thought the eprom was responsible for one of the mileage storage locations.
that is what the eeprom contains, the program that has the right scale
Old 12-10-2020 | 10:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Actually, I have to say - there's a lot of info out there pertaining to this particular swap, but it might be good to have it in one place.

If you don't mind ctravis595, I might join you on this journey!

I have an AMG cluster and before buying it, I called a local STAR man, who told me that as long as the mileage is lower than that of the car, it will eventually pick up the car's stored mileage. No idea how accurate this is as I am not a STAR man and there is a plethora of info out there that is all rather confusing when you don't understand coding/XENTRY etc.

On his advice, I had the new cluster zero'd and returned to me. Upon plugging it in, sure enough I got the ------ across the screen. No biggy, I'm sure there's an answer, but thought I might just share my other findings so far as OP and I are going for the same goal here.
  • The screen appears to be higher resolution, I noticed this when I checked the navigation; you have to really look to see the pixels, so that's nice.
  • I think some of the menus are missing - my power folding mirror menu is definitely not there (bit annoying)
  • The mpg all reset
  • The service indicator was wrong (my B service due in 8200 miles, so I just reset it and will have the service done at the right time)
  • All the convenience features that were available were different
  • RPMs were correct
  • Speedo was correct
  • Temperature was well off but began dropping quite quickly
  • C/S transmission modes switch fine
  • Time was correct
  • VISEEO phone was in the top right corner rather than the centre - as was the word NAVI

Just a matter of making the mileage wake up and adding my mirrors back in.

Do we think my local STAR man got it wrong? Will my mileage come back or am I doomed!

New AMG Cluster

Original CL Cluster

thanks for joining the thread, yes I have seen quite a few people try a few things with this cluster, many with varying degrees of success.

I am glad to hear the speedometer works, however, is the speedometer indeed still accurate after 100mph? The scaling of the speed indicated on the cluster increases at 100 mph, and I wasn’t sure if this area would be accurate thereafter

also makes me wonder what happens if someone took the car over 160mph after the swap... might be something that can be coded if it didn’t work automatically

I agree, the font, and pixels look a lot sharper on the amg cluster. I also think the amg cluster is cool to have when you’ve swapped an amg drivetrain

regarding the mileage tamper/digit issues, it seems there’s only one component on the circuit board that needs switched over to the new cluster.

if after that, the mileage is not corrected automatically. Then with star diagnostics I believe you could probably try to do an initial startup procedure of the ignition switch and then the instrument cluster, then choosing to set up the coding manually in the process instead of carrying old settings from the previous unit. The mileage is likely stored in both modules simultaneously and when the new cluster is installed, it sees a discrepancy and shows “—————“ on the dash instead.

Regarding your point about the service interval, in the process of initializing the two modules, it should ask for the maintenance interval information. Such as when performing an initialization of a central gateway module on a w211 chassis Mercedes.

If you do have someone try to “hard reset” the instrument cluster and possibly the ignition module, then make sure to try to find a list of your cars specific factory option code list, because you may be asked all kinds of questions about equipment fitted to the vehicle during a cgw so that the car knows what to expect. Otherwise certain components may not operate such as automatic trunk features for example

biker349 (12-11-2020)
Old 12-10-2020 | 10:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Great advice!

my plan was to swap security chip from my current instrument cluster to the amg cluster assembly. You should be able to do the same

this is a pretty good guide, watch all parts, for understand how to take apart the cluster without breaking anything. I believe the person mentions how each needle is meant to be calibrated as well

biker349 (12-11-2020)
Old 12-11-2020 | 03:18 AM

CL
it's all very simple if you know soldering as i said
other solution is C4 + Vediamo
biker349 (12-11-2020)
Old 12-11-2020 | 12:22 PM

C215 600TT
Originally Posted by pmercury
it's all very simple if you know soldering as i said
other solution is C4 + Vediamo
Thanks both!

What is C4 + Vediamo?
Old 04-20-2021 | 04:02 PM

C215 600TT
Ok, cluster finally installed.

Mileage went across just fine once my Star man did some wizardry. However, I now have a teleaid fault (didn’t know I had teleaid!), a pre safe fault (didn’t know I had that either) and none of the fibre stuff makes it to the dash.. phone has stopped working too, but radio works (on the command itself).

Star man said he will have to dig up the option codes and go through them one by one. Will update when he’s done!

If that doesn’t’ work, looks like I’ll be dicking about with dismantling both clusters and desoldering EPROMs.
Old 04-20-2021 | 05:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Mileage went across just fine once my Star man did some wizardry. However, I now have a teleaid fault (didn’t know I had teleaid!), a pre safe fault (didn’t know I had that either) and none of the fibre stuff makes it to the dash.. phone has stopped working too, but radio works (on the command itself).

Star man said he will have to dig up the option codes and go through them one by one. Will update when he’s done!

If that doesn’t’ work, looks like I’ll be dicking about with dismantling both clusters and desoldering EPROMs.

yes you can change the teleaid options and stuff like that fairly easily
Old 04-21-2021 | 03:01 AM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM

Your "star man" doesn't know what he is doing. it's a big mess now
Old 04-21-2021 | 04:31 AM

C215 600TT
Originally Posted by BenzNinja
Your "star man" doesn't know what he is doing. it's a big mess now
Oh Ninja... You're always so full of optimism!

He's taking it in for a service on the 27th April, so will correct it then. Will let you know how he gets on. With any luck, my gorgeous dual-measurement dash will be fully operational as it should be!
Old 04-21-2021 | 07:07 AM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Oh Ninja... You're always so full of optimism!

He's taking it in for a service on the 27th April, so will correct it then. Will let you know how he gets on. With any luck, my gorgeous dual-measurement dash will be fully operational as it should be!
It will

it's just a matter of a bit vediamo coding
Old 04-21-2021 | 07:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by BenzNinja
It will

it's just a matter of a bit vediamo coding
should have no problem just running an Initial Startup procedure and choosing to manually input option codes and National version
Old 04-21-2021 | 09:01 AM

C215 600TT
That sounds like what he was talking about. That must be why he needs the option codes list.
Old 04-21-2021 | 05:08 PM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
That sounds like what he was talking about. That must be why he needs the option codes list.
let him try "initial setup with takeover"
reconnect the old cluster first
follow the screen
ukcl600 (04-21-2021)
Old 04-28-2021 | 06:02 PM

C215 600TT
Ok. Ninja, you might be able to help here...

My star guy was able to get the cluster almost back to normal. He said he had originally tried ‘initial setup with takeover’, which appeared to work - then it didn’t. Today however he pulled the option codes and put them all in manually, which worked. Except one thing. The teleaid message.

He said it’s possible this cluster came from a non-UK car (we don’t have the SOS system in the UK) - though I checked with the former keeper of the cluster and he does not recall the teleaid message - now I think about it, I didn’t get it when I tested it at the outset.

any ideas how to just turn it off - something I can relay to my star man in case he’s missing a trick?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Cl500/600 160mph speedometer to AMG 200mph speedometer swap/rebuild