CL-Class (W215) 2000-2006: CL 500, CL 600

Key fob unsynced from pulling fuses?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2020, 07:44 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CL55 AMG, C280
Unhappy Key fob unsynced from pulling fuses?

Hi all. I'm the proud new owner of a 2004 CL55 in impeccable condition, garage kept and such a joy to drive. I knew before buying it that there were a few things for me to resolve (including proper ABC maintenance), but an unexpected issue has reared its head just a few weeks in.

While I was visiting my brother for the holidays, he noticed that the cigarette lighter didn't work and proceeded to pull all of the fuses to see if there was a blown one (I know……). The fuses were all fine, but now:
  • The key fob no longer locks/unlocks (either via IR or RF) or opens the trunk
  • The car will start with the key in the ignition, but if I try the Keyless Go button on the shifter, I get “Key Not Recognized”.
All of these things worked perfectly before pulling fuses. The car only came with one key, and I changed the battery just days after buying the car. The red indicator light flashes when pressed (also visible via phone camera). And the car locks/unlocks fine with the console buttons.

Thankfully the alarm/siren wasn’t working when I bought the car, so I can use the key blade without too much fanfare, but that obviously isn’t a long term solution. I went straight to MB to shell out for a new key (which I was planning on doing anyway) which will arrive and be programmed next week.

I’ve spent hours reading threads on this forum and elsewhere, and I’ve tried some of the ‘programming’ methods (holding unlock, pressing lock, etc.) to no avail. Any guesses on what might have happened? Could it be related to the alarm/siren? What are my odds of getting the dealer to re-program the original key, is that even possible?

Last edited by Flyingchange; 12-27-2020 at 08:37 PM.
The following users liked this post:
biker349 (12-28-2020)
Old 12-28-2020, 01:58 AM
SPONSOR

Received 854 Likes on 662 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Hi

looks like two options, the most usual is the first

1) by pulling ALL fuses you missed a slot and moved a fuse from a "in use " slot to a "not supposed to have a fuse because some option is not there" slot
2) the fuse you put back blow because you had a serious short, by putting it back you blow a module or another one

What are my odds of getting the dealer to re-program the original key, is that even possible? = 0 a key is not "re-programmable"

I think you went to fast

All you needed to do is first check the fuses, then if nothing good find someone with a Xentry Das system or buy one
it would locate the problem in seconds

Old 12-28-2020, 12:04 PM

CL55 AMG, C280
Thanks Peter, appreciate the suggestion. I'm taking the car this afternoon to a trusted indy with a DAS system.
Old 12-28-2020, 12:46 PM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by Flyingchange
Thanks Peter, appreciate the suggestion. I'm taking the car this afternoon to a trusted indy with a DAS system.
great !
this is really the best option
let me know
and let him print a pdf you bring here
Old 12-28-2020, 03:18 PM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
CL55
My cigarette lighter does not work as well I wonder what it could be...
Old 12-29-2020, 02:45 PM

CL55 AMG, C280
Problem solved: looks like a few fuses weren't in the right slots. Thanks again for chiming in Peter!

@Martin, I'll be taking the car back to the indy in a few weeks to investigate cigarette lighter (and tidy up a few other things) so I can let you know what they find. Doesn't look like the fuse is the problem on mine.
The following 2 users liked this post by Flyingchange:
BenzNinja (12-29-2020), MartinWake (12-29-2020)
Old 12-29-2020, 03:51 PM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
my pleasure
Old 01-09-2021, 03:20 PM

CL55 AMG, C280
Originally Posted by MartinWake
My cigarette lighter does not work as well I wonder what it could be...
@MartinWake I'm going to ask my indy to look into the cigarette lighter. Will let you know what they find.
Old 01-09-2021, 06:47 PM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts
CL55
Originally Posted by Flyingchange
@MartinWake I'm going to ask my indy to look into the cigarette lighter. Will let you know what they find.
Sounds good let me know!