Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-06-2008, 11:30 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Originally Posted by Dr. No
WSH: YES!!!! At last check with NetStar, my CL65 is like number 6 on the build list for 09, production 3rd decade of June..my dealer says ETA mid-August, trying to keep me calm!! I want it now, esp since I just sold off the CL550 Launch...sigh...the garage looks so empty.. I fear it will have those stupid wheels and not the 030s...will have to order them as soon as I know for sure. I'd love to go an AMG studio to "build" it the way I want it..but it won't be in time for me You'd think for 200K we could get it EXACTLY the way we want them!

After chopping tree stumps and shoveling rock today at my lake home, I'm feeling pretty "codgerly" tonight, so maybe I'll love that quilting Just let me limp into that driver seat, fire up that engine, and I'll be "healed"

D.
Dr., may want to chk w/your dealer to insist on 030 wheels and cf interior trim....and/or obtain signif disct for accepting a 65 w/codgerly features...

BTW, does your dealer actually know what '09 65s have in terms of wheels/interior trim choices? Mine (SF Peninsula's largest vol dealer) doesn't yet have this info....

Fully agree....65's a $200K, fast-depreciating, discretionary car in a recessionary economy...one would think a few minor details (which are clearly available in the AMG parts bin) would be a simple request....

As much as I enjoy tq, highly doubt I'll accept a 65 w/those clunky S65 wheels and w/o cf interior trim (passed on CL65 I had ordered last Fall and haven't aged enough since to change my view)...and that quilted crap still makes me queasy....yeah, yeah, it's an acquired taste that one may appreciate as one becomes older and more senile....prob is that quilting is still some 4-5 decades beyond my time....
Old 05-07-2008, 12:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL600, G500, E-type, Alfa SS
Dr No, the 030 wheels are an easy fix if your car doesn't have them. Part numbers are B66031380 front and B66031381 rear. Dealer cost as of 12/07 was $1730 front and $1780 rear (each). In the AMG accessories book they are Style IV.

My dealer agreed to supply them at cost if I wanted to swap the 18s off my CL600, but after seeing the stock 600 wheels on the car I actually prefer them. With a non-AMG the brakes can look a bit too modest inside open 20" wheels, and I suspect that I'd see no performance improvement but a harsher ride. Perhaps in this economic climate your dealer would agree to a no-charge swap at your discretion.

While I have the floor I'd just like to express gratitude to other posters for all their insights. I communicated with Renntech at some length while the car was on order, but got the sense that delimiting with the ECU upgrade would also call for bigger brakes, etc. etc. Now that the car is past break-in, I just can't see the need for more power in US conditions, even compared to my M6.

The Mocha/Cognac is really beautiful. I too was headed that direction but switched at the last moment to Capri blue/gray, with which I'm completely happy.

Even after owning the M6 and looking seriously at 599/612s, I'm in awe of the CL600. So beautiful, so fast, so spacious, so quiet.
Old 05-07-2008, 01:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2007 S600
Has anyone with a S/CL65 got an opinion about the quilted seats versus the regular surfaced seats? Looks to me that they may be more comfortable by appearance alone , however, it also seems that a person may tend to slide around in those seats more than usual.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by markopolo
Yes guys, I have few pics of my brand new baby but I'm little hesitant/ashamed to show it to you.
Brand new car with 16 delivery miles on it and already tomorrow I'm scheduled to visit MB body shop. Relax guys nothing major, although I thought I'm going to have a heart attack. As you prob. know I live in great PA where there is no requirement to have front plates. One of the reasons for me to move here (just kidding).
So i called my dealer 3 times to make sure they don't istall them. They jokingly responded that everybody knows about it already (sticky notes all over the car).
Then after arrival I see the my beautiful 600 waiting for me. I go, look at the front bumper.................and see proudly installed front plate . Those ***@#$%s managed to f-up anyway. After back and forth I accepted the car. I didn't want you guys to turn on TV next day and hear the news about some unhappy client have shot lousy MB dealer
They said, they will make it up to me on extended 4y. warranty.
BTW this car is to stay. Especially with the dying TT V12 breed.

So here it is so far on cloudy weather. Exterior - designo Mocha Black (my way of modding) and Interior - Cognac/Black.
Ill post some new ones after body shop visit and better weather. That Mocha tastes much better in full sun.
Congrats, a lovely color combo. Shame about the plate but all in all it looks great.
Old 05-07-2008, 05:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

08 S65, 06 M3 CS(stick), 02 BMW X5 4.6iS, 07 R1 Raven, 08 F-450 4x4, 08 CooperS JCW
Originally Posted by WSH
Congrats, markopolo

To each his own, but IMO, anything aftermkt is moronic....MB/AMG R&D struggles to optimize car vs various parameters, despite enormous R&D infrastruc and extensive pre-prod testing....and needs to continually debug/refine cars based upon real-world reliability/useability feedback (and warranty repair costs)....

In context of today's ever-more complex hardware/software, makes no intuitive sense to me how any aftermkt modif will do anything but depreciate overall perf/safety/useability/reliability of a well-engineered car....would rather save my dollars to get new, latest/greatest-tech factory-spec cars more often...

Am convinced today's cars are more analogous to smartphones (w/an impt diffce being the critical safety value of new, unadultered cars; can easily toss a hacked iPhone that's screwed up, however a modified car introduces critical personal safety risks, esp if events occur at speed) than cars of yesteryr.....both cars and smartphones have an ever-shorter half-life before they are obsolescent and disposable anyway.....
I understand your viewpoint, but US only charcoal filters have to go. A free 10whp mod that simply returns the car to its original Euro-spec.

(disclaimer: my 65 came pre-modded by a close and very wealthy friend. I would not spend my own $$ on modding an engine that already gives 600bhp. Cons outweigh the pros)
Old 05-07-2008, 06:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Transferred,
Thanks alot for the compliments,
BTW, could you elaborate a little bit on charcoal filter issue ?
Could it be removed just like that ? US is much, much less polluted than Europe (trust me, I know).

Last edited by Red Marko; 05-07-2008 at 07:29 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You're welcome and I can certainly enlighten you as to the CFs.

CA regs decree that all high emissions cars have charcoal filters. They are two paper bags of charcoal that sit in front of the regular paper air filters. Unlike the air filters, they don't stop particles entering your engine they simply obstruct airflow. Removing them (which takes about 20mins or just take to reputable shop and pay $20) just involves removing a few screws and lifting them out. Many of the E60 M5 and E63AMG guys do this.

It is not a mod as it just makes the car euro spec and delivers 8-12rwhp.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ColdWater

I'm in awe of the CL600. So beautiful, so fast, so spacious, so quiet.
High Five for that !

I didn't know that Renntech requires bigger brakes. Although comes to think about it - makes perfect sense.
The whole upgrade issue slowly moves to the back burner.
So much power already

Last edited by Red Marko; 05-07-2008 at 07:38 PM.
Old 05-07-2008, 06:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by transferred
You're welcome and I can certainly enlighten you as to the CFs.

CA regs decree that all high emissions cars have charcoal filters. They are two paper bags of charcoal that sit in front of the regular paper air filters. Unlike the air filters, they don't stop particles entering your engine they simply obstruct airflow. Removing them (which takes about 20mins or just take to reputable shop and pay $20) just involves removing a few screws and lifting them out. Many of the E60 M5 and E63AMG guys do this.

It is not a mod as it just makes the car euro spec and delivers 8-12rwhp.
That is amazing. That's why I love this forum.
THE cheapest, should I say least expensive tip so far.
HUGE thanks.
I was always wondering about those two different HP specs, Euro vs. US. Now I know. Plus I know how to fix it.
Old 05-08-2008, 08:38 AM

Originally Posted by markopolo
I didn't know that Renntech requires bigger brakes. Although comes to think about it - makes perfect sense.
The whole upgrade issue slowly moves to the back burner.
So much power already
It's a matter of balance. Any significant performance mod usually begets the need for another. If you make it possible to push a 2 1/2 ton vehicle well beyond the V-max for which it was designed, wisdom suggests bigger brakes and probably an intercooler pump upgrade as well.

IMO the only mods really needed on the CL600 in US conditions are a Valentine 1 hardwire and laser jammer.

Its my understanding that the purpose of the charcoal filters is to trap hydrocarbons percolating back out of the intake system when the car is shut down. This is a factor in the US because emissions qualification testing here is more rigorous than in Europe. I'd be interested to hear whether anyone notices a difference after removing them, the hp gain is so slight. I'd rather keep my car stock and slightly 'greener'.
Old 05-09-2008, 04:42 AM

CL 500 (550)
(...) IMO the only mods really needed on the CL600 in US conditions are a Valentine 1 hardwire and laser jammer. (...)
I've heard that the V1 is incompatible with all the CL's distronic etc radar stuff... does it work?
Old 05-09-2008, 08:04 AM

Originally Posted by zzboba
I've heard that the V1 is incompatible with all the CL's distronic etc radar stuff... does it work?
The V1 works perfectly, even with distronic and blind-spot alert fully activated. On a recent run down the Pennsylvania Turnpike I had three perfect "saves", and transmissions from warning signs were as annoying as usual. I was more amazed by how well the MB distronic system works on a sharply curving highway with many trucks. Even on a lefthand curve, the car would accelerate back up to speed the instant the truck ahead moved back over the line into the right lane.

It's important, however, to mount the V1 directly behind the small sections of the windshield where the reflective coating is not present. For maximum range I have mine hardwired at the top of the windshield, just to the left of the inside rearview mirror. It even seems that the windshield coating helpfully screens out many false alarms from oblique vectors.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:23 AM

Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
2013 SL 550 (Previously 2012 Porsche Panamera Turbo-S, 2015 Tesla P85D, 2007 S600, 2005 E55 AMG)
Hi Markopolo - late to the thread... Congratulations on your new CL600... We told ya - you can't beat the V12!

Chris
Old 05-10-2008, 08:10 PM

CL 65 '09, ML 63 '09. The wife's: 09' SL 63 & S550.
Dr No, the 030 wheels are an easy fix if your car doesn't have them. Part numbers are B66031380 front and B66031381 rear. Dealer cost as of 12/07 was $1730 front and $1780 rear (each). In the AMG accessories book they are Style IV.

My dealer agreed to supply them at cost if I wanted to swap the 18s off my CL600, but after seeing the stock 600 wheels on the car I actually prefer them. With a non-AMG the brakes can look a bit too modest inside open 20" wheels, and I suspect that I'd see no performance improvement but a harsher ride. Perhaps in this economic climate your dealer would agree to a no-charge swap at your discretion.

While I have the floor I'd just like to express gratitude to other posters for all their insights. I communicated with Renntech at some length while the car was on order, but got the sense that delimiting with the ECU upgrade would also call for bigger brakes, etc. etc. Now that the car is past break-in, I just can't see the need for more power in US conditions, even compared to my M6.

The Mocha/Cognac is really beautiful. I too was headed that direction but switched at the last moment to Capri blue/gray, with which I'm completely happy.

Even after owning the M6 and looking seriously at 599/612s, I'm in awe of the CL600. So beautiful, so fast, so spacious, so quiet.
Hi ColdWater
Thanks for the parts numbers..that's EXACTLY my plan IF the 09 arrives with wussy wheels...you'd think they'd let you "craft" the car just the way you want as an OEM...sigh...only 3 months to go...miss my Mocha CL...pics to follow, check back in August!
Old 05-10-2008, 08:58 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Have opted to pass on SL63 030 after much consideration....CLs are just too damn capable and addictive...and the relatively weak structural safety (and primitive interior aesthetics/safety and comfort tech) of SL was a deal-killer for me...

Anyway, now pestering my dealer about getting an '09 CL63 030/65 ASAP...

Have early July build of '09 CL63 030....latest rumblings are that CL63 will get MCT....and cf not available on 030; my current 030 has cf....so will have to live w/blk wood...

Asked about 65 spec flexibility....currently, no way to spec it w/030 wheels or cf....my salesman will call MBUSA this wk to figure out if some work-around poss...prob know 3-4 guys in SF who would opt for '09 CL65 (rather than CL63 030) if it had 030 wheels...(I have zero tolerance for any dealer doing wheel swaps at any cost...too much risk to tires/wheels/brakes in process....dealers can barely figure out how not to rape the front bumper, as per markopolo's expce....simplicity and factory-specs/installation are highly preferred)

BTW, radar detectors are a funny, region-specific topic/issue....such an Eastern US fixation; my condolences to our Eastern pals, having served my time in NYC....can't think of any of my car nut pals on SF Peninsula who've ever bothered w/silly radar detectors.....and they have impeccable driving records....and seem to routinely "stress-test" tq of their AMGs more than anyone in world, aside from our German pals (perhaps more than our German pals, given CA lacks a gruesome winter, requiring those girlie winter tires/wheels and a negative risk adjustment to one's driving style)....
Old 05-10-2008, 09:07 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Originally Posted by trumpet1
Has anyone with a S/CL65 got an opinion about the quilted seats versus the regular surfaced seats? Looks to me that they may be more comfortable by appearance alone , however, it also seems that a person may tend to slide around in those seats more than usual.
Trumpet, my guess based upon brief test drives of CL65 is that quilting is aesthetically annoying to many, but has no ergonomic impact...

Part of what I really appreciated from my back-to-back drives of SL63 030 vs CL63 030 in mtn twisties is that AMG CL's sport seats are arguably ergonomically best seats on planet today....the level of grip and comfort (and apparently thoughtful safety engineering of seat structures) of AMG CL seats is absolutely spectacular (notably deeper bolsters than CL600 seats and simply a generation more advanced than '09 SL63/65's lame, primitive seats)....
Old 05-10-2008, 09:38 PM

BMW 550i
[QUOTE=WSH;2816492]

Have early July build of '09 CL63 030....latest rumblings are that CL63 will get MCT....and cf not available on 030; my current 030 has cf....so will have to live w/blk wood...[QUOTE]

Interesting..I've been to a local dealer and they too, claimed that CF interior is not available to order on their netstar system for 09. Makes me wonder why MB decided to remove it. But then again, another dealer told me they aren't able to get the latest info yet on the 09' CL AMG options and packages till early june. I'm patiently waiting on it as of now
Old 05-11-2008, 10:08 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by cjf_moraga
Hi Markopolo - late to the thread... Congratulations on your new CL600... We told ya - you can't beat the V12!

Chris
Thanks Chris, yes ya all told me...
And ya were right
I've got the car from body shop, excellent job they did.
I'm very happy with the car. Only 500 mi. so far, so I'm still very carefull with the break-in period as it takes a lot of self control to go with the process.
I caught myself on taking few silly trips to do unnecessary errands just to listen to the engine with all windows down and going about 30 mph. I know it's childish but I just love it.
One thing has to go asap. The tires they put on it have to go. The 19" Continentals SportContact2 are terrible IMO. At least I have an option with other brands as I heard that new Yokohamas Advan, Goodyear Eagle F1 and Bridgestne Potenza are v. good choice.
18" tires (staggered) on previous 550, I had a much lesser choice, only Michelins Primacy, extremely noisy and crappy Continentals. Only those two. That is the main reason why I went w/19" and increased risk of getting bubbles on NYC roads. Although I heard from good sources that Eagle's F1 has by far best side wall thread against damages/cuts. We will see...

Otherwise I can't wait for Monday to drive to work
Old 05-11-2008, 10:49 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Markopolo, suspect a few CL owners wish they had commutes as long as yours...I'm stuck w/a 5mi daily round-trip commute, so I live for wkends to really drive my CL on my favorite roads...

Curious what are your major issues w/Conti SC2s? Could some of them be break-in issues (of tires)? I had 19" Contis on my CL600...and they seemed fine during 3K mis of driving, incl during CA's winter rainy season (almost never rains in CA outside of winter)....

My CL63 030s have had 20" Contis and again no issues. Have a couple of colleagues who are now each on their third copy of CL63 030....first two copies each had Contis and third each have Yoko Advans....they report no perceived diffces...

My sense is that it's really difficult to figure out which tire brand/specific model/size is optimal vs various chassis set-ups, esp when one views the various perf trade-offs that require varied driving to discern....e.g., high-speed precision/stability, ride comfort/quiet vs imperfect roads, resistance to damage, wet perf, durability, etc etc....would guess MB spends a fair amt of time figuring out which tires make sense vs each chassis...and suspect any of tires spec'd by factory has various negatives in certain scenarios....
Old 05-11-2008, 11:24 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Another thought on tires...

May want to play w/tire Ps; have found material diffces in noise/precision/stability w/varied pressures...obviously, one struggles w/choosing optimal setting that works vs decrepit urban roads, high-speed fwys w/imperfect stretches, twisties, routine suburban roads, etc

Also, given your mileage accumulation pace, may want to chk availability of replacement tires...

A chronic shortage seems to exist for replacement 20" perf tires (and wheels) like those of AMG S/CL or 599....even at major MB/F dealers in SF/LA, one often cannot obtain new tires for 2-3 days...

In fact, a colleague of mine in SF recently had a flat tire on his CL63 030 (w/Contis); was told by our dealer that ?3-4 days would be needed to obtain a replacement tire...and my colleague, a sharp financier who has ability to rapidly judge value of time, uncertainty and hassles, immediately traded-in his CL w/2-3K mis for a new blk/blk CL63 030 that was sitting on dealer lot....besides, his free Sirius sat radio subscription on the prior CL was running low...
Old 05-11-2008, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by WSH
Markopolo, suspect a few CL owners wish they had commutes as long as yours...I'm stuck w/a 5mi daily round-trip commute, so I live for wkends to really drive my CL on my favorite roads...

Curious what are your major issues w/Conti SC2s? Could some of them be break-in issues (of tires)? I had 19" Contis on my CL600...and they seemed fine during 3K mis of driving, incl during CA's winter rainy season (almost never rains in CA outside of winter)....

My CL63 030s have had 20" Contis and again no issues. Have a couple of colleagues who are now each on their third copy of CL63 030....first two copies each had Contis and third each have Yoko Advans....they report no perceived diffces...

My sense is that it's really difficult to figure out which tire brand/specific model/size is optimal vs various chassis set-ups, esp when one views the various perf trade-offs that require varied driving to discern....e.g., high-speed precision/stability, ride comfort/quiet vs imperfect roads, resistance to damage, wet perf, durability, etc etc....would guess MB spends a fair amt of time figuring out which tires make sense vs each chassis...and suspect any of tires spec'd by factory has various negatives in certain scenarios....
Maybe it is a break-in period issue. So far they are noisy. More so than Michelin Primacy on my previous CL550. And bigger issue, as my SA said, much more difficult to balance (is he crazy, lazy, or it is so, I don't know). I had them balanced once already as I complained car loosing it's smoothnes around 75-80 mph.
He whispered (confidential?) to my ears - replace Contis, they are not so good. Again, might be the case of another sales pitch or break-in issue. I'll drive it for 1k. miles with open mind and report back the findings.
Mark.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:06 PM

CL 65 '09, ML 63 '09. The wife's: 09' SL 63 & S550.
Originally Posted by WSH
Have opted to pass on SL63 030 after much consideration....CLs are just too damn capable and addictive...and the relatively weak structural safety (and primitive interior aesthetics/safety and comfort tech) of SL was a deal-killer for me...

Have early July build of '09 CL63 030....latest rumblings are that CL63 will get MCT....and cf not available on 030; my current 030 has cf....so will have to live w/blk wood...

Asked about 65 spec flexibility....currently, no way to spec it w/030 wheels or cf....my salesman will call MBUSA this wk to figure out if some work-around poss...prob know 3-4 guys in SF who would opt for '09 CL65 (rather than CL63 030) if it had 030 wheels...(I have zero tolerance for any dealer doing wheel swaps at any cost...too much risk to tires/wheels/brakes in process....dealers can barely figure out how not to rape the front bumper, as per markopolo's expce....simplicity and factory-specs/installation are highly preferred)

BTW, radar detectors are a funny, region-specific topic/issue....such an Eastern US fixation; my condolences to our Eastern pals, having served my time in NYC....can't think of any of my car nut pals on SF Peninsula who've ever bothered w/silly radar detectors.....and they have impeccable driving records....and seem to routinely "stress-test" tq of their AMGs more than anyone in world, aside from our German pals (perhaps more than our German pals, given CA lacks a gruesome winter, requiring those girlie winter tires/wheels and a negative risk adjustment to one's driving style)....
Excellent choice, WSH! I was in a new SL this weekend and still can't believe how much nicer the CL is over the "new" SL....did not even give the car a second look, cycled the trunk mechanism and roof, watched it jiggle like a lapdancer patient of mine....CL is the way to go...you may get yours sooner, given your West Coast high priority status out there....I bet the AMG Lords are still trying to figure out why a 65 is going to Madison, WI
Old 05-12-2008, 01:27 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Dr., I admire your choice of "patients"

Actually, suspect you'll get your 65 before me, so I'll live vicariously through your feedback while I wait....despite my car habit, I still am outranked at my dealer by at least 2-3 other guys who each buy more $150+K AMGs/yr than I do and have been maintaining their addiction for more yrs than I have....
Old 05-12-2008, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
markopolo:

Congratulations on your new CL600...it looks beautiful!!! BTW, what is the story on those exhaust tips...I have never seen them before. Are they MB optional?

I am thinking about doing the RENNtech or Kleemann ECU upgrade myself...I would have thought I would be satisfied with 600+hp and 738lbs-ft of TQ... I guess it is just that with out any physical modification these engines can pump out 10-20% more power with just some code....insane....yet so tempting....

Tom
Old 05-12-2008, 06:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by TMC M5
markopolo:

Congratulations on your new CL600...it looks beautiful!!! BTW, what is the story on those exhaust tips...I have never seen them before. Are they MB optional?

I am thinking about doing the RENNtech or Kleemann ECU upgrade myself...I would have thought I would be satisfied with 600+hp and 738lbs-ft of TQ... I guess it is just that with out any physical modification these engines can pump out 10-20% more power with just some code....insane....yet so tempting....

Tom
Thanks a lot,
I just came back from work all hyped-up. This piece of marvel is brutally powerful. I'm still toying with the throttle, not pushing too hard and I see the potentials not compatible to anything I drove.
And don't want to drive 65 for at least 5-6 years, I have to stop somwhere
If anything - Renntech is an Ace in my sleeve.
The exhaust tips came with the 600, as I know they are standard for 2008. By far - not my option. I like stealth, minimalist approach. I'm still asking myself, who the hell decided to put those silly splits on them.
But I guess, I'm in minority group as of 2 people on gas station complimented them. already. Hope, with time it will grow on me.
Mark.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Update to the upgrade