New-to-me 07 CL600

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-19-2021, 04:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
07 CL600
New-to-me 07 CL600

Hi all,

I picked up this Obsidian Black 07 CL600 about 2 months ago. Sublime car although it is extremely moody and loves throwing up random errors (ESP/ABS, Parking sensors) which disappear for weeks at a time. Much, much faster than I expected (coming from an 07 Cayenne Turbo)

, which even made me question the validity of getting into a CL65 later down the line. Since it's a US spec example, the speed limiter is set at 130mph, which I wasn't aware of - and which properly scared me when I slammed into it on my first proper highway romp. Another downside to owning a US spec 600 in Europe is the pathetic looking braking system, which is unbefitting a behemoth like this. This will be fixed as the AMG twin-caliper system will be transplanted onto my car within the next few months. The car needs A LOT of love and will be restored to its former glory - including a full paint refresh and deep interior detail. What came as a surprise to me are the tires - I expected the Nankings it came with on the back to be much, much worse at putting the power down. Either way, they'll be replaced with 295s (instead of the factory 275s) as soon as they go. Still wondering if I should go with 19inch 2 piece Cromodora AMG rims (seen on the W211 E63 and W216/W221 65 models) or 20/21 inch Brabus/Carlsson 2 piece units. I'd appreciate any input from the Forum members who've had a chance to experience the ride quality on 19s and 21s - although I'm very reluctant to go a size up.
Old 10-25-2021, 08:16 AM

Received 370 Likes on 228 Posts
2008 CL550, 2022 EQB300, 2022 EQS580
I've got a new-to-me coming on Friday--a 2008 CL550. A couple refresh questions...

One thing I know I'll have to do is touch up the grill--there is a spot about the size of a nickel on the silver part that looks like something hit it and scrapped off the paint (or something). Anyone know if I can get a touch up tube of paint to fix this defect, or would MB just want to sell me a new grill? Or go to an independent body shop? Ideas are welcome.

Also, there is a small chunk of wood taken out of the trim piece/bezel that goes around the interior door handle and controls...can this be replaced? Take the door apart to do?

I'm hoping the car comes with no other surprises...will be a nervous week until I get it.
Old 10-26-2021, 07:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 293 Likes on 194 Posts
CLK55 W209, CL63 W216
ESP/ABS errors are usually wheel sensors. The radar parking sensors suffer from interference from cars with ultrasonic parking sensors and and throw the end of the world beep/red screen when you’re close to them.

The interior wood can be replaced if you take the door panel off. Check eBay and get the entire panel. Wood trim will crack if left in the sun for long periods of time or absurd. At least in my experience. Another option is to use some UV glue to fill in the spot, sand it down and then wrap the entire trim piece in a vinyl of your choice.

Stay on top of the maintenance and inspect the car frequently. Don’t let it sit for months on end as they don’t seem to like that. Everything else can be fixed.

Forgot to mention - my AMG came with 20s. I am running 22s now. There is 0 difference in ride quality due to the ABC suspension. Can’t speak for airmatic users. However, 21s limit your tire choice dramatically and should be no different than 22s ride quality wise.

Last edited by megacrazy; 10-26-2021 at 07:32 AM.
The following users liked this post:
wizee (11-09-2021)
Old 10-27-2021, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 428 Likes on 353 Posts
MB’s
Agreed with the poster above I am sure as well it is a wheel speed sensor. As far as other things a good detail shop and bring it back to the way it was. 130mph speed can be removed with a tune. I did it to my CL600. These cars make crazy numbers for what they are. They are real torque monsters!
Old 10-29-2021, 01:36 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2007 CL600
Originally Posted by nath_h
I've got a new-to-me coming on Friday--a 2008 CL550. A couple refresh questions...

One thing I know I'll have to do is touch up the grill--there is a spot about the size of a nickel on the silver part that looks like something hit it and scrapped off the paint (or something). Anyone know if I can get a touch up tube of paint to fix this defect, or would MB just want to sell me a new grill? Or go to an independent body shop? Ideas are welcome.

Also, there is a small chunk of wood taken out of the trim piece/bezel that goes around the interior door handle and controls...can this be replaced? Take the door apart to do?

I'm hoping the car comes with no other surprises...will be a nervous week until I get it.
My '07 gets delivered tomorrow too after a spontaneous purchase almost a month ago. I got lucky. It has a perfect service history and lived a pampered life averaging about 4000 miles/year. We're gonna run it up to Vegas for a few days to stretch its legs. I've been wanting another V12 ever since we got rid of my wife's Mars Red '05 SL600 almost 10 years ago. Iridium Silver was not my first, second, or third choice, but it has the right service history, great cosmetics, and I'm sure it'll do until the S65 coupe's depreciation brings prices for those down to earth.

I looked across the country for the right car. I wanted one that was bone stock. Many that I saw for sale had accidents, spotty service history, modifications, and excuses.

Last edited by WIldcat465; 10-29-2021 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-29-2021, 06:20 AM

My purchase decision sounds very similar to yours. About the same mileage per year, not my favorite color, but bought based on a great service history with no accidents or modifications. The car I really wanted had only 18,000 miles, but had an almost non existent service history--that one is going to be mechanically totaled, soon. I got my car yesterday--truck dropped it off. I wish the seller would have told me about curb rash on all four wheels, and the seriously scraped up lip of the spoiler, but not bad overall. With some new wheels (already ordered MB 22 spoke) and a professional polish/waxing to remove small paint imperfections, it should look great. Interior was perfect, as described, at least. I still haven't taken it for a drive because it was pouring rain yesterday, but will today and hope for no surprises. Good luck on your trip to LV.
Old 10-29-2021, 01:12 PM

2007 CL600
I'm scheduled to have the car looked over on Tuesday to ensure there are no issues. Although the the car's history shows frequent, comprehensive dealer service history, I'm not sure that it includes an ABC flush (which I can do). My brother who lives in the city where the car was purchased indicated that gaskets on top of the strut towers (under the hood) appear degraded/disintegrating. Looking at the photo below, I can't see what he's describing. So, I'm not sure if it's a problem. Thoughts? He went on to say that he saw no leaks from the struts and that the engine compartment was spotless. I hope the reality matches his description.

On positive note, I was able to source a good used engine cover to replace the one on the car that's missing the emblem.

Old 10-30-2021, 04:33 PM
SPONSOR

Received 853 Likes on 661 Posts
WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by WIldcat465
I'm scheduled to have the car looked over on Tuesday to ensure there are no issues. Although the the car's history shows frequent, comprehensive dealer service history, I'm not sure that it includes an ABC flush (which I can do). My brother who lives in the city where the car was purchased indicated that gaskets on top of the strut towers (under the hood) appear degraded/disintegrating. Looking at the photo below, I can't see what he's describing. So, I'm not sure if it's a problem. Thoughts? He went on to say that he saw no leaks from the struts and that the engine compartment was spotless. I hope the reality matches his description.

On positive note, I was able to source a good used engine cover to replace the one on the car that's missing the emblem.

you have ABC2

you can get the P30 or DTM abc tune
Old 10-31-2021, 01:29 AM

2007 CL600
Originally Posted by BenzNinja
you have ABC2

you can get the P30 or DTM abc tune
Is ABC2 a second generation version and improved version?

I'm curious, what is a P30 or DTM ABC tune?

In any event my car was delivered a few hours ago and I encountered my first problem within 15 min. I pull it into the garage, lift the chrome handle to check look in the back seat, and when I try to return the seatback to the driving position, it locks and won't move. I suspect a problem with the release cable. So, I spend the next hour removing the seatback cover, find the cable, jiggle it, and the seat releases. I still think there is a problem with it.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know if the release cable is prone to stretching or breaking such that it's won't release the the seatback to return the driving position?

Old 10-31-2021, 06:41 AM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
Originally Posted by WIldcat465
Is ABC2 a second generation version and improved version?

I'm curious, what is a P30 or DTM ABC tune?

In any event my car was delivered a few hours ago and I encountered my first problem within 15 min. I pull it into the garage, lift the chrome handle to check look in the back seat, and when I try to return the seatback to the driving position, it locks and won't move. I suspect a problem with the release cable. So, I spend the next hour removing the seatback cover, find the cable, jiggle it, and the seat releases. I still think there is a problem with it.

Has anyone else had this problem? Does anyone know if the release cable is prone to stretching or breaking such that it's won't release the the seatback to return the driving position?
ABC2 mapping for track and sport
some reviews here
https://mbworld.org/forums/sl-class-...bc-mod-sl.html
Old 10-31-2021, 07:08 AM

I asked this elsewhere on the forum, but will ask here too as this thread seems active. Does anyone know if I can swap out my staggered 19 inch rims on a 2008 CL550 for 18 inch 8.5 non staggered W221 rims? I know everyone else wants bigger wheels, but small is better for my snowy climate, and I can rotate the tires.
Old 11-08-2021, 06:18 AM

Not sure...the top of the strut looks okay to me. Can you verify with him what he was talking about?
Old 11-09-2021, 04:24 PM

Received 107 Likes on 64 Posts
'07 CL550
Originally Posted by megacrazy
ESP/ABS errors are usually wheel sensors. The radar parking sensors suffer from interference from cars with ultrasonic parking sensors and and throw the end of the world beep/red screen when you’re close to them.

Stay on top of the maintenance and inspect the car frequently. Don’t let it sit for months on end as they don’t seem to like that. Everything else can be fixed.
100% accurate. 2007-2009 cars with Distronic use radar sensors for parking instead of ultrasonic sensors. When these cars first came out, no other vehicles had radars that interfered with the system. Nowadays, many vehicles (particularly late model Toyotas) have radar systems that interfere with the parking radar on these cars. The parking sensor unavailable errors when getting close to late model Toyotas and certain other cars with radar systems that interfere are due to interference being detected. The system is working as designed, it just wasn’t designed with other cars interference in mind. The beeping noise it makes when the parking sensors detect interference and become temporarily unavailable is annoying, though it’s not a malfunction. You can choose to turn off the parking sensors through the button on the dash, though they turn back on when you restart the car.

Regarsing ABS/ESP errors, it’s the wheel speed sensors. Earlier parts had solid wiring that had a tendency to crack through fatigue. Revised wheel speed sensors had braided wiring that better handles flexing from going over bumps and turning. My car had the same issue, had dealer replace wheel speed sensors (on the front). They initially thought it was an ABS computer issue due to an error code they couldn’t clear; they replaced it, and that seemed to resolve the issue temporarily though then the errors came back. Change the wheel speed sensors first, rather than the ABS computer module.

Last edited by wizee; 11-17-2021 at 04:21 PM.
Old 11-11-2021, 09:08 PM

2007 CL600
I was in Vegas for a few days and kept getting the parking sensor error. It's good to know that it's not a real problem.

Old 11-12-2021, 01:49 AM
SPONSOR

WWW.BENZNINJA.COM
keep guessing
it's not because I sell systems but guessing will cost you far more
Old 01-03-2022, 07:15 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Barbus V12s
Nice car

Hi
Congratulations to a very clean Cl600
I am also new to this forum and my 2007 brabus V12s which is a Cl600 that is modified by Brabus
good luck with you new car
Greg