CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Trade in 2004 & 2005 CLK55 for CL55?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2005, 03:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 CL55
Trade in 2004 & 2005 CLK55 for CL55?

I want to sell my 2004 CLK55, but am finding it hard to do as I don't really want to sell it privately from my home, and have not found any brokers in my area I know, or trust. I live in Miami. I noticed I could list it on cars.com, but again would i attract buyers, or strangers checking out and casing my house? Another consideration is to trade both my 2004, and 2005 CLK55's for a CL55. Both CLK55's pretty loaded with options. Anyone upgrade from a CLK55, to a CL55? Have any expirence selling a car privately? Any advice would be more then welcome.

Thanks in advance!

mark
Old 05-07-2005, 06:17 PM

NSX
why don't you try e-bay? you get a large audience, they may be out of state so they won't be coming to your house, and if they do travel to see your car, they are probably there for your car and not anything else. If you are detailed enough with your ad, pictures, etc., many will buy a car sight unseen. It happens all the time on e-bay. Or find a broker or someone you trust.

My friend has a CLK55 and I will tell you, its a different car from a CL. The CL is really a much nicer car.
Old 05-07-2005, 07:31 PM

2005 CL55
Originally Posted by AMG2GO
why don't you try e-bay? you get a large audience, they may be out of state so they won't be coming to your house, and if they do travel to see your car, they are probably there for your car and not anything else. If you are detailed enough with your ad, pictures, etc., many will buy a car sight unseen. It happens all the time on e-bay. Or find a broker or someone you trust.

My friend has a CLK55 and I will tell you, its a different car from a CL. The CL is really a much nicer car.

Thanks for that advice. I'll start taking images, and sign up on ebay. You never know, maybe I will get my price. I'm nervous about driving a CL55, because I might like it too much. Maybe I will anyway?

Thanks
Mark
Old 05-07-2005, 07:50 PM

2005 CL55
Does anyone know what the ride difference is? Is it more like an S class, or is it really tight like the CLK55? Does it feel like a sports car? Do the rear seats fold down for extra room?

Thanks
Mark
Old 05-08-2005, 05:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Originally Posted by mark4
Does anyone know what the ride difference is? Is it more like an S class, or is it really tight like the CLK55? Does it feel like a sports car? Do the rear seats fold down for extra room?

Thanks
Mark

The ride in the CL55 is similar to the CLK55 not the S Class. The only real difference is that the CL with the longer wheel base is not as "choppy" (poor use of word but you get the idea). No Mercedes feels like a sports car, even my SL55 is more of a tourer than a sports car like a Porsche. The rear seats do not fold forward.
The Cl is much quicker than the CLK due to its whopping torque; 516 ft lbs vs 376 in the CLK. I had both a CLK 55 and a CL 55. The CL is much more luxurious and more powerful. No comparison.

As far as E-bay is concerned do not think that you will get a better deal there, since the majority of people are bottom fishing. I listed the CLK on ebay, the car was truly perfect, less than 5,000 miles and heavily optioned. The best bid that I received was less than the dealer trade in value. My personal opinion is that while you will not get what you can get in the open market, trading involves less hassle and takes the lookie-lou's off of your back.
Old 05-08-2005, 06:49 PM

2005 CL55
Lou,

Thanks for the advice. I agree after watching cars on ebay just eding up with low ball bid's, seems like it will not be worth while. And I have yet to find a broker in my area I trust. I do love the look of the CL55, and imagine the speed, and ride is awsem. I bought a set of 18" HRE 540R's which look really great on my Pewter 2005 CLK55, and would think they would look excellent on a CL55. I wish the rear seats when down as my office is on South Beach, and I often bring my 7' surfboard. I have a cover for the board so I'm sure I can buy racks and not worry about sand flying all over the car. I am gussing there is more room for the rear passengers? Are long trips more comfortable? Do both the drivers and passengers seat have multi contour?

Thanks
Mark
Old 05-08-2005, 07:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Several MB's Superperformance MK III Cobra
Cool

Lou,

Thanks for the advice. I agree after watching cars on ebay just eding up with low ball bid's, seems like it will not be worth while. And I have yet to find a broker in my area I trust. I do love the look of the CL55, and imagine the speed, and ride is awsem. I bought a set of 18" HRE 540R's which look really great on my Pewter 2005 CLK55, and would think they would look excellent on a CL55. I wish the rear seats when down as my office is on South Beach, and I often bring my 7' surfboard. I have a cover for the board so I'm sure I can buy racks and not worry about sand flying all over the car. I am gussing there is more room for the rear passengers? Are long trips more comfortable? Do both the drivers and passengers seat have multi contour?

Thanks
Mark
Mark,

The rear seats are roomier than the CLK and are quite comfortable once you are in. I am not so sure about a long trip since my wife sat in the back for about 2 hours and complained about how noisy it was in the back seat. I would have to agree it was noisy; sounds such as "Do you have to drive so fast?" and " You could drive a little slower" were constantly coming from the rear of the car. The problem is getting out of the rear---it is still a pain in the butt but not as bad as the CLK. In fact my neighbor who is a little on the stout side actually got stuck one evening when we had gone out for dinner--- embarrasing but hilarious at the same time.

One of the features that I truly enjoy is how the front doors open. Instead of merely swinging out they somehow pivot in and then make the swing; convenient, since the doors are so large. I wish my SL55 had the same feature. Yes both seats are multi conture. massage and ventilated which by the way is marginal at best.
Old 05-08-2005, 09:32 PM

'06 E55
To play devils advocate.....list the car locally or on cars.com. Meet any of the interested parties at a neutral location to check out the car. It may be more of a pain for you, but you wont have anyone near your home and you will probably get more for it.
Old 05-08-2005, 10:23 PM

2005 CL55
Originally Posted by Archi
To play devils advocate.....list the car locally or on cars.com. Meet any of the interested parties at a neutral location to check out the car. It may be more of a pain for you, but you wont have anyone near your home and you will probably get more for it.

I'll check it out.

Thanks!

Mark
Old 05-10-2005, 07:55 PM

NSX
I find the rear of the CLK to be pretty much useless. The CL is not extravgant but its fairly comfortable.

The CL is a quieter and smoother car too...

I have to be honest and say I was prepared to spend $100k on a car used or new... and I drove almost everything. I find the CL (especially the 55 and 600) to be on one level, and all other cars I drove on another level. I find the difference between my friend's CLK55 and my CL600 to be pretty dramatic in favor of the CL. There is something about the CL that makes me feel all warm and fuzzy everytime I think of driving it... :p
Old 05-11-2005, 07:48 AM

2005 CL55
Thanks for the response. I am still undecided. I saw a CL65 yesterday and just stopped and stared for a while, and was really excited about the look, etc.. I have read some very positive articles about it (CL55) in the past as well. I guess at some point soon I'm just going to have to test drive one. This may sound crazy but one thing I'll really miss is the folding back seats in the CLK as I like to go surfing after work, if there are any waves. As well as the CD changer in the CLK being in the dash, not the trunk. Oh and does the 2005 CLK55 come stock with 18" wheel's? And does anyone know when the 2006 comes out?

Mark
Old 05-22-2005, 04:57 PM

360 Spider
For $50,000 price difference I would hope it is nicer
Old 05-23-2005, 10:16 AM

2003 CL55
Both front seats of the CL55 have the same features.
Regarding the surfboard, a roof rack is probably the only viable option for a CL55, then you have to be concerned about the security of the board.
eBay, as noted, is very likely not the best place to sell you cars. I would think that the South Florida market is about as good as any for your your cars and cars.com and the local newspaper will probably get more attention, even if it means dealing with the inevitable lookers. Neutral meeting place is best for serious potential buyers, IMO.
Old 05-23-2005, 12:50 PM

2005 CL55
Thanks for the advice, i decided to trade both my CLK's in for a 2005 CL55, White, Java interior, keyless go, parktronic, and auto trunk closer. I did a ton of research prior to trade, so I feel I did very well. I love the car, it really rocks, yet at the same time is smooth whitout loosing any edge. And ya I'll buy a rack for my surfboard and just bring it into the office with me. I have already notice the difference between my CLK which was Pewter and charcoal, and the CL55 as far as being much cooler when I open the door after having it sit in the hot sun. Pluse the ventalited seats dont hurt.

thanks

Mark
Old 05-23-2005, 01:03 PM

NSX
Congrats.
Old 05-23-2005, 01:33 PM

2005 CL55
Thanks!!! I'll post some images in a couple of weeks.

Mark
Old 05-26-2005, 10:40 AM

ML63
... decided to trade both my CLK's in for a 2005 CL55, White, Java interior... I have already notice the difference between my CLK which was Pewter and charcoal, and the CL55 as far as being much cooler when I open the door after having it sit in the hot sun. Pluse the ventalited seats dont hurt.
If you tint the windows to 35% (lets in 65% of light; the stock tint is zero or close to zero tint, I believe), it makes a nice difference in warm weather. It is much easier to see into a Java interior with 35% than a black/charcoal interior with 35%; more of a "simple classy sport" look with Java than a "what's going on in there?" look. And as the driver, it really eliminates glare more than it gives a "sunglasses on" sensation.

- A-Train
Old 05-27-2005, 01:16 AM

NSX
CLKfiftyfive what are the wheels on that car in your sig? are those O.Z.?
Old 06-05-2005, 11:45 PM

360 Spider
CLKfiftyfive what are the wheels on that car in your sig? are those O.Z.?
No clue...it is the 2005 CLK-DTM.