CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

CL600 vs CL65

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-26-2006, 07:45 PM
DMC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 MB CLK55
CL600 vs CL65

Figuring the CL65 will not drop enough in price within the next 6 months to become affordable, I've set my sights on a 2005 or 2006 CL600. Three questions: (1)Does the CL600 suffer from turbo lag?; (2) How big a difference is there between the 600's and 65's suspension and brakes?; and (3) if I increase the horsepower and torque of the 600 via a Renntech mod, will the 600's engine, suspension, and brakes handle the increase in horsepower and torque without additional mods? Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Old 02-26-2006, 07:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 246 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by DMC
Figuring the CL65 will not drop enough in price within the next 6 months to become affordable, I've set my sights on a 2005 or 2006 CL600. Three questions: (1)Does the CL600 suffer from turbo lag?; (2) How big a difference is there between the 600's and 65's suspension and brakes?; and (3) if I increase the horsepower and torque of the 600 via a Renntech mod, will the 600's engine, suspension, and brakes handle the increase in horsepower and torque without additional mods? Your input would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
If you look hard,you can find a CL65 with miles in teens or less for $114-120k.
Old 02-27-2006, 10:53 AM

2003 CL55 Kompressor Horizon Blue Metallic
Originally Posted by absent
If you look hard,you can find a CL65 with miles in teens or less for $114-120k.
I wonder if you are looking at the same places that I am ...

Let me see, if my CL55 stickered for 120K in 2003 and I got it used for ~70K at the end of 2005, I wonder what a 2005 CL65 will be going for at the end of 2008 :-) .
Old 02-27-2006, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 382 Likes on 246 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Unhappy

Originally Posted by mclarenm8d
I wonder if you are looking at the same places that I am ...

Let me see, if my CL55 stickered for 120K in 2003 and I got it used for ~70K at the end of 2005, I wonder what a 2005 CL65 will be going for at the end of 2008 :-) .
Quite a sobering thought,isn't it?
Old 02-27-2006, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by absent
Quite a sobering thought,isn't it?
Yeah ... the real kicker is the hit my CL55 has taken in just a few months. If I figure up the depreciation the original owner took ... nasty.
Old 02-27-2006, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by DMC
DMC, I wrestled with the same type of thoughts you do but my comparison was with a CL55 against a CL600.

Regarding the specifics of your questions, it is my understanding that there are differences between a CL600 and a CL600 Sport. So, you might want to compare a few CL600's for your own preferences for questions 1) and 2). I don't know how to answer 3), but there are guys on the SL forum who have applied the Renntech mods to SL600's that can provide guidance as well.

If you consider the info absent and I discuss, I would recommend that you hold out for a CL65. In six months, if you add up the costs of mods you are considering on top of a CL600 Sport, a montly payment versus just getting a CL65 will probably be close.

If I were to use an extreme example to try and explain where I am coming from on this - I think it is great that guys with E55's and CLS55's mod them.

However, I personally don't understand why someone would go crazy on modding a CL55, an S55, or an SL55. The reason is that once one starts investing money in the mods they get real close to the used 65's in total cash outlay. And the modded 55's still don't have the torque of the 65.

I'd apply the same argument for choosing between a 2005/2006 CL600 and a 2005 CL65.

Now, if you are looking for a 2003 CL600, they have depreciated to the point that I can see one going that route.

Last edited by mclarenm8d; 02-27-2006 at 11:41 AM.
Old 02-27-2006, 01:54 PM

360 Spider
Originally Posted by DMC
Three questions: (1)Does the CL600 suffer from turbo lag?; (2) How big a difference is there between the 600's and 65's suspension and brakes?; and (3) if I increase the horsepower and torque of the 600 via a Renntech mod, will the 600's engine, suspension, and brakes handle the increase in horsepower and torque without additional mods?
I have never driven a CL600 but since the engines are identical:

(1) Yes, but it is not that noticeable since it is a biturbo system. MB used 2 smaller turbos instaed of 1 large turbo. Smaller turbos spool quicker thus reducing turbo-lag. It is only about a 1 second delay, once you hit ~2000rpm you will fly and not even feel it. The only way you can gauge how fast you are going is either (A) look at your speedo or (B) look at stationary objects around you (ie: cars doing 55mph )

(2) There is a difference, but you pay $$$$$ for that difference. On my SL600, I put the suspension in "ABC SPORT" mode and the car handles excellent. I drive on U.S. Highways mostly, not racetracks. On the 600 you also get the same 14.2" front brakes as on the 55K models. On top of that you will smoke them at any highway speeds because of the V12 + ~600tq!

(3) You don't need to upgarde anything with the RennTech ECU re-flash. That is what makes it such a great mod . Included in the package is the 65 AMG SpeedShift transmission computer which makes this beast drive just like a stock 65 only IT IS FASTER .

The SL/CL/S 600 models are expensive and depreciate like nothing you have ever seen. I have never regretted buying my SL600. I have no clue what could possibly replace this thing for a reasonable price? Twin-Turbo V12, luxurious German leather-lined missle...and it has a retractable hardtop for 100 large????

Good Luck.
Old 02-27-2006, 06:53 PM

NSX
This is a very good question. I would see what I can get a 600 for, add up the cost of all the mods. To me that includes an ECU ($6500), exhaust at $3600, (because the 65 has a much better exhuast system and the standard single tip 600 exhaust just doesn't cut it), lowering module at $1400 (65's do sit lower from the factory), wheels and tires at maybe $5000 (already a nice upgrade from the factory on the 65), and certain things will never be as good like the engine, the brakes, warranty, etc.

But maybe good enough!!!

You will never recover the money you spent on mods, but you will recover some of what you spend on a 65 versus 600. Now if the difference is still a lot of money, I'd just go the 600 route. Its 98% of the car with mods. If its not that much by the time you are ready, your better investment is probably a 65.

A renntech ECU mod on a 600 nets 150 horsepower... on a 65 it gives you like 75. Because the motor is stretched already. Also, a factory car is always always more reliable.
Old 03-01-2006, 10:08 PM
DMC

2002 MB CLK55
CL600 vs CL65

Thank you everyone for the very detailed and insightful responses. After reading your replys and conducting some aditional introspective analysis I have to agree the 65 is the way to go. Guess I'll just have to work a few extra hours of overtime. Besides, with the new 63 powered vehicles soon to hit the market and a new version of the CL being released for 2007, I just might get lucky and find a low mileage, clean, unabused 65 for $110K or less. Thanks again. DMC
Old 03-02-2006, 05:37 PM

N/A
Sorry, but the noob has some questions.

1. Is the fuel economy any different between the CL 65 and CL 600? How about CL 65 and CL 600 Modded?

2. How about Emissions? Does a CL 600 modded have problems passing emissions?

3. Does a CL 65 cost less to maintain than a CL 600 modded? I would imagine the maintenance for a modded CL 600 would be more expensive.
Old 03-02-2006, 09:54 PM

NSX
Originally Posted by Lsportline43
Sorry, but the noob has some questions.

1. Is the fuel economy any different between the CL 65 and CL 600? How about CL 65 and CL 600 Modded?

2. How about Emissions? Does a CL 600 modded have problems passing emissions?

3. Does a CL 65 cost less to maintain than a CL 600 modded? I would imagine the maintenance for a modded CL 600 would be more expensive.
1) yes, it goes from very bad to horribly bad. Do you really care?? Its probably going to be about 1 MPG or so different. What makes the difference is weight and aerodynamics and thats the same on both cars.

2) Not if its Renntech. They pass all, even CA.

3) maintenance is the same on both cars. But the stock 65 motor will be more reliable long term. The Renntech mod pushes the 600 engine close to the edge. The 65 motor has better cooling.
Old 03-03-2006, 09:03 PM

N/A
Thanks for the reply. I was just wondering...
Old 03-04-2006, 02:25 AM

AMG
I would buy these cars only if I wanna cruise and start pimpin' , otherwise they suck big time in handling!.... check CL 65 Top Gear review

Last edited by AMG&AMG; 03-04-2006 at 02:55 AM.
Old 03-04-2006, 07:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
Originally Posted by AMG&AMG
I would buy these cars only if I wanna cruise and start pimpin' ...
Well, if you buy a CL65 you start pimpin' immediately, like it or not
Old 03-04-2006, 07:36 AM

AMG
Originally Posted by sprins
Well, if you buy a CL65 you start pimpin' immediately, like it or not

naah, iam getting a Maserati Grandsport , cambiocorsa! i'll leave the CL 65 for you
Old 03-04-2006, 10:48 AM

I would buy these cars only if I wanna cruise and start pimpin' , otherwise they suck big time in handling!.... check CL 65 Top Gear review
Alternatively, I think the CL65 Top Gear video is a great selling point for the car. In a very British humor sort of way, it think it explained quite well why those who have CL65's do have them.

"... I was looking over the car port and I couldn't help but notice that my car is more powerful than all of yours ..."

Handling, build quality, blah blah blah. It's not important as to why the purchase of a CL was made.

On the other hand, an AMG CL does brake and handle far better than a big-block musclecar, and an AMG CL can be driven everyday and has a warranty.
Thinking more obtuse, my first V12 TT will probably be an S600 or S65 for my wife (she hauls the kids around more than I, four doors can be convenient).

Last edited by mclarenm8d; 03-04-2006 at 10:52 AM.
Old 03-04-2006, 01:08 PM

AMG
Originally Posted by mclarenm8d
Alternatively, I think the CL65 Top Gear video is a great selling point for the car. In a very British humor sort of way, it think it explained quite well why those who have CL65's do have them.

"... I was looking over the car port and I couldn't help but notice that my car is more powerful than all of yours ..."

Handling, build quality, blah blah blah. It's not important as to why the purchase of a CL was made.

On the other hand, an AMG CL does brake and handle far better than a big-block musclecar, and an AMG CL can be driven everyday and has a warranty.
Thinking more obtuse, my first V12 TT will probably be an S600 or S65 for my wife (she hauls the kids around more than I, four doors can be convenient).

I appreciate your great reply... mclarenm8d
Old 03-04-2006, 01:29 PM

NSX
Sometime I really wonder if some of these car magazine review guys live in the real world. They get a car, drive it around a track for half an hour, maybe take it down the road for an hour or two, and make their judgements based mostly on what was funnest to drive around a track.

I wonder if they ever come home from a hard day's work... or have to live with that "fun" car they just picked every day, day in and day out.

I have been reading all the car and driver's and road and tracks, motor trends, automobiles, etc. since I was like... 8. And I used to take their suggestions and opinions like it was the bible. Now after having owned many of the cars on theit ten best lists, I take everything with a grain of salt and use their opinion as just that. An opinion.

I just sold my CL. I have a deposit down on a newer CL. Before doing that, I looked at every car on the planet. I have to say... that my suspcisions were confirmed that when you take everything into consideration... performance, comfort, safety, luxury, reliability, etc., the CL is one of if not the finest coupe out there.

From my perspective, to say that this car "sucks big time in handling" is so far off base I wouldn't even know where to start. I don't know about you, but on my daily commute, there are only so many turns that I can speed through at MACH I to where the CL's handling "sucks". The CL has one of the finest suspension systems I know of. It insulates and isolates, and still manages to take corners and turns better than 90% of the cars out there.

It sucks next to an Elise or a 997 on a racetrack. I don't want to drive either of those cars any longer than 45 minutes.

The Maserati Cambriocorsa.... its got its pluses for sure.... but its got the build quality of a Fiat. I have several dealers around me selling fully loaded used ones for 48-49K and they cannot get rid of them. Mark my words... Maserati, sadly, will probably be gone again soon.

Last edited by AMG2GO; 03-04-2006 at 01:32 PM.
Old 03-04-2006, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
CLK63BS, SL55, G55, C43
naah, iam getting a Maserati Grandsport , cambiocorsa! i'll leave the CL 65 for you
Why thank you. I'll come and pick it up next week
Old 03-05-2006, 01:26 AM

AMG
Originally Posted by AMG2GO
Sometime I really wonder if some of these car magazine review guys live in the real world. They get a car, drive it around a track for half an hour, maybe take it down the road for an hour or two, and make their judgements based mostly on what was funnest to drive around a track.

I wonder if they ever come home from a hard day's work... or have to live with that "fun" car they just picked every day, day in and day out.

I have been reading all the car and driver's and road and tracks, motor trends, automobiles, etc. since I was like... 8. And I used to take their suggestions and opinions like it was the bible. Now after having owned many of the cars on theit ten best lists, I take everything with a grain of salt and use their opinion as just that. An opinion.

I just sold my CL. I have a deposit down on a newer CL. Before doing that, I looked at every car on the planet. I have to say... that my suspcisions were confirmed that when you take everything into consideration... performance, comfort, safety, luxury, reliability, etc., the CL is one of if not the finest coupe out there.

From my perspective, to say that this car "sucks big time in handling" is so far off base I wouldn't even know where to start. I don't know about you, but on my daily commute, there are only so many turns that I can speed through at MACH I to where the CL's handling "sucks". The CL has one of the finest suspension systems I know of. It insulates and isolates, and still manages to take corners and turns better than 90% of the cars out there.

It sucks next to an Elise or a 997 on a racetrack. I don't want to drive either of those cars any longer than 45 minutes.

The Maserati Cambriocorsa.... its got its pluses for sure.... but its got the build quality of a Fiat. I have several dealers around me selling fully loaded used ones for 48-49K and they cannot get rid of them. Mark my words... Maserati, sadly, will probably be gone again soon.
Thank you for this review! but I already have ordered the Grandsport ....

I was really excited .. when I drove the GT coupe (390) hp ... the one I ordered has 400 hp ... and appearance is a bit different... until I get my hands on the Gt3 with club sport package for the sake of the track days..

Enjoy your car and stick with what you desire! AMG2GO