CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

600/65 exhaust gains?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-08-2007, 02:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts
new balance
600/65 exhaust gains?

Our options for exhaust are limited. on eisenhaus website the race exhaust looks nice and im sure sounds nice but iam not not looking into sound change, my priority is gains in HP and TQ. I dont know of any before and after exhaust data. After reviewing the pics from eisenhaus i though of replacing the stock mufflers with a borla or magnaflow race muffler and doing a before and after dyno. any thoughts or feedback?

Old 03-10-2007, 12:11 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
SL65 AMG
I have asked the same question and have not seen or heard any feed back. I know kressig makes an exhaust (with f1 by pass valve) that is a true cat back, I dont recall on the one you saw if it is mufflers or the entire cat back. I think super sprint makes one for the 600's but again no feed back and for 4-5k I dont think we are going to get the power we want for that kind of money. I took apart the 65 airbox tonight to see what I could do to get more air into the engine and I must say the factory airbox is crap and has no flow in my eyes. I sent about 20 pics off to our local mad man vrus to see what he thinks. I think if we can get more air in the engine that would help as the exhaust flows pretty good from what I understand. Renntech may be the best bet for this. You may look to see if the 65 and 600 have a different exhaust setup and just snag the amg exhaust of a 65 if it flows better. I am talking to a local guy about lifting the car to see if it has the same set up as the 55's 4 cats, resonater, mufflers and see if we can drop one set of cats and maybe the resonaters as well. Maybe even run a straight pipe setup. I will let you know if I find out anything.
Old 03-10-2007, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

new balance
Originally Posted by BiTurboAmg
I have asked the same question and have not seen or heard any feed back. I know kressig makes an exhaust (with f1 by pass valve) that is a true cat back, I dont recall on the one you saw if it is mufflers or the entire cat back. I think super sprint makes one for the 600's but again no feed back and for 4-5k I dont think we are going to get the power we want for that kind of money. I took apart the 65 airbox tonight to see what I could do to get more air into the engine and I must say the factory airbox is crap and has no flow in my eyes. I sent about 20 pics off to our local mad man vrus to see what he thinks. I think if we can get more air in the engine that would help as the exhaust flows pretty good from what I understand. Renntech may be the best bet for this. You may look to see if the 65 and 600 have a different exhaust setup and just snag the amg exhaust of a 65 if it flows better. I am talking to a local guy about lifting the car to see if it has the same set up as the 55's 4 cats, resonater, mufflers and see if we can drop one set of cats and maybe the resonaters as well. Maybe even run a straight pipe setup. I will let you know if I find out anything.
LOL we must have been vibing...I just did the same and sent Victor pics last night. Please email me what you have so I can see the difference, can you email me your airbox part number as well if you have it. jason@gemsbyjwade.com The intake design looks as if it needs alot of improvement. Plus I have these damn air diffuser tabs in the front of the two intakes, I think im going to remove them because they cant be helping anything.

Old 03-10-2007, 01:59 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by E55JAY
Plus I have these damn air diffuser tabs in the front of the two intakes, I think im going to remove them because they cant be helping anything.
I don't know Jason, those MB engineers are fairly clever guys. I bet those diffusers disrupt the air flow to increase the speed into the intake... or some darn thing.

That's just a wild guess and I should mention that I am not a rocket scientist - but there might be a few at AMG and I think the V-12 bears their design handiwork.
Old 03-10-2007, 05:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

new balance
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
I don't know Jason, those MB engineers are fairly clever guys. I bet those diffusers disrupt the air flow to increase the speed into the intake... or some darn thing.

That's just a wild guess and I should mention that I am not a rocket scientist - but there might be a few at AMG and I think the V-12 bears their design handiwork.
Everytime I look at them my logical mind says "those damn things are disrupting airflow...yank em!!!!!"
Old 03-10-2007, 07:59 PM

SL65 AMG
I will email those pics over to you later today or tomm. I must say it looks very sad and I would think more air into that engine the better but it is a very tight fit.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

new balance
Originally Posted by BiTurboAmg
I will email those pics over to you later today or tomm. I must say it looks very sad and I would think more air into that engine the better but it is a very tight fit.
space seems to be issue without a doubt...no worries, im interested in seeing how much of a difference there is between the two intakes
Old 03-10-2007, 09:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Everytime I look at them my logical mind says "those damn things are disrupting airflow...yank em!!!!!"
I agree with you, however, I'm told that the F-22 has diffusers on the intake of the engines in order to break the natural air flow to get greater combustion.

And of course we all know that the 5.5 engine is really a detuned Pratt & Whitney turbojet.
(Can I call BS on myself? No sense in waiting for someone else.)
Old 03-11-2007, 12:44 PM

2003 CL55 Kompressor Horizon Blue Metallic
I've kept mine in for fear that they may be intended to keep water from getting into the cylinders. I'm not worried about a mild rain, but say a case of following a car through a large puddle or a hard rain occuring. Most ram-air setups I've seen have a depression so that water can fall out of the air stream, we don't have such a thing in our cars.

Last edited by mclarenm8d; 03-11-2007 at 12:48 PM.