CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Cl 63 ??? Help!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-13-2007, 08:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Black 'O8 SL55, Black GL450 loaded
Cl 63 ??? Help!

Okay everyone, I'll try to keep this brief and I'm not looking to offend anyone or get flamed. I trust the insight many of you have about MB's and other cars and am just looking for some guidance. I purchased a mocha designo S550 about 4 months ago, fully loaded and did so anticipating a trade for the CL 63 when the designo becomes available. My dealer says he thinks that wil be an option later this month, maybe August production. Well, my love affair with the look of the car has waned a bit, but I still like it. However, I'm becoming less convinced the driving experience is going to meet my expectations. I love my S, but it is way too big for my personal taste as an everyday driver and lacks any semblance to a "sports" feel (and no, I didn't buy it thinking it would drive like a sports car). I just haven't really gotten the feel from the few who have actually purchased or driven a 63 that it is necessarily what I'm looking for - I would give up some of the interior comforts of my current car in favor of a more aggressive drive. I need more room than an SL and the CL 65 is beyond my price range. I'm back to considering a low mileage CGT, DB9,new Quatroporte or the Maserati GT out this winter. Don't personally care for the CLS so I'm thinking if I don't go with the CL, it won't be a Mercedes. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Old 06-13-2007, 09:05 PM

2018 SL 65 AMG 2017 GLE 63S 2015 RAM RT
We picked up our CL63 two weeks ago and it is the BEST car that I ever owned. Traded my E55 for it and have never looked back. Go for it!!!!!

Al E

Happy Motoring
Old 06-13-2007, 10:20 PM

Originally Posted by Al E
We picked up our CL63 two weeks ago and it is the BEST car that I ever owned. Traded my E55 for it and have never looked back. Go for it!!!!!

Al E

Happy Motoring
Thanks for the info.
Old 06-13-2007, 10:48 PM

Originally Posted by xraes
Okay everyone, I'll try to keep this brief and I'm not looking to offend anyone or get flamed. I trust the insight many of you have about MB's and other cars and am just looking for some guidance. I purchased a mocha designo S550 about 4 months ago, fully loaded and did so anticipating a trade for the CL 63 when the designo becomes available. My dealer says he thinks that wil be an option later this month, maybe August production. Well, my love affair with the look of the car has waned a bit, but I still like it. However, I'm becoming less convinced the driving experience is going to meet my expectations. I love my S, but it is way too big for my personal taste as an everyday driver and lacks any semblance to a "sports" feel (and no, I didn't buy it thinking it would drive like a sports car). I just haven't really gotten the feel from the few who have actually purchased or driven a 63 that it is necessarily what I'm looking for - I would give up some of the interior comforts of my current car in favor of a more aggressive drive. I need more room than an SL and the CL 65 is beyond my price range. I'm back to considering a low mileage CGT, DB9,new Quatroporte or the Maserati GT out this winter. Don't personally care for the CLS so I'm thinking if I don't go with the CL, it won't be a Mercedes. Any help is appreciated. Thanks
Forget the benz if u can get a carrera gt... get that
Old 06-13-2007, 11:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2007 CLS63 030
Talking

Uh how on earth is a CGT in your price range but a CL 65 is not?
Old 06-14-2007, 01:32 AM

S550
You meant conti GT?

I think the CL63 is a beautiful car seen 1 yesturday on olympic LA . Very nice.
Old 06-14-2007, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by juicee63
Uh how on earth is a CGT in your price range but a CL 65 is not?
Yes, I meant a Bentley, not Carrera. That's how it's in my price range. Thanks for your help though.

Last edited by xraes; 06-14-2007 at 07:54 AM.
Old 07-12-2007, 10:11 PM

dude, you got to get in and experience new cars, take the first one that makes you feel the "thats it! this is what im talking about! this is different than the others, i dont want to get out of this car!" feeling.
Start low, then up the dollars till you find it.

My advice (which may not be good for you) see if you like an sl, and if so just get a relatively cheap van or suv for the wife to haul the kids around in.
Old 07-13-2007, 04:37 PM

Received 36 Likes on 30 Posts
2006 E55
Hmm, nice delima to have. What are your needs? Speed, comfort, room, power, looks, rock-star parking, AWD, exlusive, etc?

Why the hang-up on the "mocha designo" car?

You mentioned lots of cars, once you have POWER like a 63 or blown 55 it will make other cars seem like jokes and you will regret whatever you do (including M5/M6) for they do not make you feel like you have a set of nuts the size of the front seats...

TK
Old 07-13-2007, 10:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by MNM5ETR
Hmm, nice delima to have. What are your needs? Speed, comfort, room, power, looks, rock-star parking, AWD, exlusive, etc?

Why the hang-up on the "mocha designo" car?

You mentioned lots of cars, once you have POWER like a 63 or blown 55 it will make other cars seem like jokes and you will regret whatever you do (including M5/M6) for they do not make you feel like you have a set of nuts the size of the front seats...

TK
Well said, my friend.
Old 07-14-2007, 07:10 PM

CL63 AMG
i had mb S550 decided to go for the S63 then changed my mind got the CL63amg (chose it over the cl600) i think this is the greatest car in terms of sportieness - comfort combination i drove many cars BMW M - ferrari ... you will never get the combination of both comfort when you want it and sportiness when needed like the CL63 it handles not like a benz but more like a BMW try it if you can !
Old 07-14-2007, 07:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lotus Elise SLK55
Why not a CL600? Once you chip it, it will be as fast as CL65 and in a totally different league than CL63. V12 twin turbo > NA V8.. its really no choice at all imo
Old 07-14-2007, 08:48 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
We've discussed this before, but if pure speed is your goal then neither the CL600 nor the CL63 will be sufficent. However, you shouldn't discount the CL63 simply because the CL600 is more "moddable" or the bi-turbo V12 has more torque. If possible you should do a test drive and see the difference between the two CL's. I have the CL63, so my opinion (and it is just my opinion) is a totally different driving experience than the CL600. A few minutes behind the wheel and you will see, feel and hear the AMGness of the CL63. No longer is the AMG variant an add-on to the exisiting model line. Mercedes has successfully begun the process of creating a new vehicle with all of the AMG engineering now built into the vehicle. It is incredibly impressive even for those of us who have driven MB products for many years.
Old 07-14-2007, 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by allminesl550
dude, you got to get in and experience new cars, take the first one that makes you feel the "thats it! this is what im talking about! this is different than the others, i dont want to get out of this car!" feeling.
Start low, then up the dollars till you find it.

My advice (which may not be good for you) see if you like an sl, and if so just get a relatively cheap van or suv for the wife to haul the kids around in.
Don't know if it was good advice, but I'm taking it. Working on a deal for the SL65 right now, but can I keep the GL for my wife to haul the kids around?
Old 07-15-2007, 02:47 PM

2014 S63 AMG 4Matic
Originally Posted by amrlotus
i had mb S550 decided to go for the S63 then changed my mind got the CL63amg (chose it over the cl600) i think this is the greatest car in terms of sportieness - comfort combination i drove many cars BMW M - ferrari ... you will never get the combination of both comfort when you want it and sportiness when needed like the CL63 it handles not like a benz but more like a BMW try it if you can !

Hi amrlotus,

Any specific reason why you decided to go for CL63 instead of S63? Did you just base your choice on looks?

It is interesting to read that you describe the CL63 to handle differently than any other MB. I am also looking for "the ultimate" combination between handling and comfort. Currently drive an E500 so don't want to sacrifice to much of the comfort, on the other hand would like the car to react more directly.

Will have the experience in 2 weeks when I have the CL63 for a test weekend. If I will be as thrilled as many of the others on this forum, this will be my next car.