CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Steering wheel exchange-Need technical help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-26-2007, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CL 55 (My baby !) 2005 CL 65 (My bad boy!)
Question Steering wheel exchange-Need technical help

Help !?!

OK, OK, I know this is blasphemy to do this as an AMG owner, but I just had the dealer install a CL 500 wood wheel on my '04 CL55 in place of my AMG wheel, it feels better to me and looks nicer, in my opinion. Plus I was always accidentally hitting the paddles....

Anyway, now the manual function of my transmission selector will not work, the dealer advised this is because AMG paddles were disconnected. I looked at the AMG steering wheel, paddles are controlled by a very simple, two wire connector. My question is, 1) why did I lose this function and 2) can the connector that is leading away from the wheel be jumpered to correct this.

I'm new to the board and I would sure appreciate help from some of you gurus out there. Over on the E55 threads there is extensive discussion about adding paddles, but I don't see anything that helps solve my problem. I did read about power loss due to IC pump failures and I believe that is an issue I have that can be resolved from info on the board, especially as it showed up recently at temps around 100 here.

I have found a great resource in this site !! Thanks !!
Old 08-26-2007, 11:47 PM

Question Also need to know...

Who is the most reputable tuner to get an upgraded ECU from ?
Thanks, Keith
Old 08-27-2007, 01:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by River Glen
Help !?!

Anyway, now the manual function of my transmission selector will not work, the dealer advised this is because AMG paddles were disconnected. I looked at the AMG steering wheel, paddles are controlled by a very simple, two wire connector. My question is, 1) why did I lose this function and 2) can the connector that is leading away from the wheel be jumpered to correct this.
.... Thanks !!
Are the wires now just sitting inside the steering column disconnected?

If so, I would GUESS that you need to complete the circuit again, that's probably what the computer is looking for. Your installer should have known this.

Regarding the ecu, most of the experts on the E55 board suggest headers, intake and pulley before the ecu. ymmv
Old 08-27-2007, 09:08 PM

Yes the wires are still inside the column. How do I complete the circuit ?
Thanks, Keith
Old 08-27-2007, 10:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
The value of this advice is somewhat lower than what you are paying for it.

If it was my car, I would take the old wheel and reconnect the wires to the shift mechanism - being careful that up was still up and on the right side.

Then I would use a meter to gauge conductivity ... hmmm, now that I think about it, there's an open and closed position and I don't know how you're going to account for that.

By leaving the circuit open on one end, the systme can't receive a closed signal and vice versa.

Sorry, that's it for me, anyone else?
Old 09-03-2007, 09:50 PM

Steering wheel rewire

It's a three wire circuit, two hot, one ground. Each paddle has a two wire lead.
Can anybody figure something out with that info ?
Thanks, Keith
Old 09-04-2007, 08:44 PM
DHH

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Panamera Turbo, R63, "71 280SL
I bought a wood steering wheel for my '04 S55 and just tool it off as the lease ended... if I remember correctly the CL and S have the sam steering wheels - ithad the shift buttons on the back of the wheel. The dealer put it on for $50 bucks..now in a boxin my garage - let me see what it is worth and that would probably be the best solution...don't give up the shift buttons.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:58 PM

Steering wheel

I'm definitely interested, I told dealer MB had S wood AMG wheels, he said no. I have the black AMG interior, if yours matches let me know what you need for it.

Thanks very much, Keith