CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

CL65 auction nightmares...PLEASE READ

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2007, 08:41 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
1987 Buick GNX,SL65 Black, 1987 Buick Turbo Limited, 2010 GT500
CL65 auction nightmares...PLEASE READ

Went to the auction yesterday for a preview...to look for a car for the old lady... well I saw 2 CL65'S there.... this is in West Palm Beach.... today these cars went through the auction....

1st one... Capri Blue on tan interior...14k miles.. spare tire on right front? dont know why..
interior filthy and a lot of black markings on the plastic and so on on the driver side area... well this is typical if someone jumps in an out and doesnt take of it... the body was clean... needed to be clayed and waxed but clean...
SOLD AT AUCTION FOR $70K and I believe only one bid...started at $78k and went down with no takers.......clean title ..

2nd..... wow.. this was a Sliver on Black ... 27k miles and a Buy Back CAR.....
YEP... sure was... and it was ****ed up... very abused and used... the car again had a spare tire on the front right side?? weird.. anyway original wheels and tires loaded with curb rash and ripped rubber...the wheels were peeling and pretty much needed attention or replacement....... the interior smelled like someone threw up in it... the console storage had **** growing in it... the seats looked like it they never had been cleaned ever... the carpet was shot... stains all over the place.... a few of the electronics were not working like the keyless go and the parktronic.... the door panel on the driver side looked like the leather was starting to sag on the arm rest... the exterior was decent but the hood was loose on the passenger side... you could push it down more after it was closed... the gas cap was GONE... really it didnt have one.. just the cap that is in side.. no exterior silver flap... minor scratches and so on.....
Price at auction ... well the bid started at $77k no takers... and they pulled it... on the phone with the owner he said it is a buy back and a off lease and wont take anything less then $77k... lolllololololl I was willing to give him $58k... others in the crowd werent even at $50k... they wouldnt touch it... most buyers there said these cars are losing ground way to fast and cant be moved... the Capri Blue sold for $70k and that was a 14k mile car.... either way the Silver one was toast... oh and to top it off the shift buttons on the rear of the steering wheel were so dirty you couldnt tell they were light grey at one time... really bad... that shows the car was beat to hell... so sad for a car like this...

well that was my CL65 auction..

I wind up buying a SL500 for the old lady with 40k miles for $40k

I am not a dealer.. i just went there with a helpful friend....

Last edited by retardedmunk; 09-12-2007 at 11:54 PM.
Old 09-12-2007, 09:35 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2015 Mercedes-Benz CLS63 AMG S
Can't believe a 180K car was so abused? If the car could only talk I'm sure it would need a good psychiatrist.

Did you buy Franklin's CL65? If you did then congratulations. If not keep up the search because it is an awesome car. Let me know.

Larry
Old 09-12-2007, 11:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1989 Toyota Tercel EZ - dyno'd @ 70whp/77wtq
LOL.... not at an auction... but more less similar.

When I was in Milan last year.... I saw a W211 E55 parked off the street.... flint grey, very loaded (distronic, parktronic, keyless go, etc. etc.)... but...

The body was all scratched up (not from one accident if I guess correctly).... couple big dings here and there.... front headlight cracked.... cracked windshield..... and best of all (in a sarcastic way )..... the rear cabin was full of garbage.

I almost cried when I looked at her.... poor E55.... and no, it was not a poser (well, at least the front seats had AMG emblems ).
Old 09-13-2007, 12:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
07 E63 06 CLK55 Cab 03 P-car C4S
Originally Posted by retardedmunk
what year was the SL500? does she like it? i've heard the roof squeeks.
Old 09-13-2007, 01:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

06 CLS55 w/ P030, 05 Jag S Type R, 05 TBird-68 Dodge Charger R/T-440 w/4speed I'm original owner
Originally Posted by retardedmunk
Went to the auction yesterday for a preview...to look for a car for the old lady... well I saw 2 CL65'S there.... this is in West Palm Beach.... today these cars went through the auction....

1st one... Capri Blue on tan interior...14k miles.. spare tire on right front? dont know why..
interior filthy and a lot of black markings on the plastic and so on on the driver side area... well this is typical if someone jumps in an out and doesnt take of it... the body was clean... needed to be clayed and waxed but clean...
SOLD AT AUCTION FOR $70K and I believe only one bid...started at $78k and went down with no takers.......clean title ..

2nd..... wow.. this was a Sliver on Black ... 27k miles and a Buy Back CAR.....
YEP... sure was... and it was ****ed up... very abused and used... the car again had a spare tire on the front right side?? weird.. anyway original wheels and tires loaded with curb rash and ripped rubber...the wheels were peeling and pretty much needed attention or replacement....... the interior smelled like someone threw up in it... the console storage had **** growing in it... the seats looked like it they never had been cleaned ever... the carpet was shot... stains all over the place.... a few of the electronics were not working like the keyless go and the parktronic.... the door panel on the driver side looked like the leather was starting to sag on the arm rest... the exterior was decent but the hood was loose on the passenger side... you could push it down more after it was closed... the gas cap was GONE... really it didnt have one.. just the cap that is in side.. no exterior silver flap... minor scratches and so on.....
Price at auction ... well the bid started at $77k no takers... and they pulled it... on the phone with the owner he said it is a buy back and a off lease and wont take anything less then $77k... lolllololololl I was willing to give him $58k... others in the crowd werent even at $50k... they wouldnt touch it... most buyers there said these cars are losing ground way to fast and cant be moved... the Capri Blue sold for $70k and that was a 14k mile car.... either way the Silver one was toast... oh and to top it off the shift buttons on the rear of the steering wheel were so dirty you couldnt tell they were light grey at one time... really bad... that shows the car was beat to hell... so sad for a car like this...

well that was my CL65 auction..

I am not a dealer.. i just went there with a helpful friend....
Like a pretty woman wth a desease. It will eventially end up in someone's garage at $90K. Buyer Beware

BTW--what were the MY?

Last edited by m_berman; 09-13-2007 at 01:14 AM. Reason: spell
Old 09-13-2007, 01:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by zoink
When I was in Milan last year.... I saw a W211 E55 parked off the street.... flint grey, very loaded (distronic, parktronic, keyless go, etc. etc.)... but...

The body was all scratched up (not from one accident if I guess correctly).... couple big dings here and there.... front headlight cracked.... cracked windshield..... and best of all (in a sarcastic way )..... the rear cabin was full of garbage.
Milan is among the worst of the big cities in the EU for abusing cars. I thought that cars got beat up in NYC. Not a corner of a car goes unscratched in Milan. Too many cars, too few sidewalks.

My friend actually budgets 1,500 euro's per year for parking tickets that he gets for parking on the sidewalk. They don't tow the car, just slap a ticket on it.

Back to the subject at hand, was the Capri blue on tan listed on Ebay last week? I bet you're tempted to start looking at cpo's at a dealer, huh?
Don't do it.

This site may have one of those 65's.

Last edited by DFW01E55; 09-13-2007 at 01:52 AM.
Old 09-14-2007, 04:07 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CL55 AMG
not everyone appreciates a fine car - jesus - look what Paris Hilton and Nicole Richtie do to their Mercedes.....thay'be probably been thrown up in multiple times and worse....
Old 09-14-2007, 04:18 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 CL55 AMG
for what it's worth - there's a place in Pa that has two CL55 AMG's on Ebay - they won't budge much on price. they guys that run the place are nice to deal with, but a few weeks ago I drove to the place to check out both cars. Both hardly had any gloss left on the door sides - meaning lots of runs through car washes - take it from me.. I used to own car washes and I know what they do.

One of them had a Designo interior - which was filthy. Both had serious scrapes under the front end from getting transported around on flat bed trucks to and from auctions.

The guys called me back the day after I looked at the cara and I flat out told them I was not interested in either one of their cars because of the poor condition of both. Carfax shows both were recently purchased at auction.

My humble opinion is that cars that are sold at auction are cars that dealers do not want on their lots - if they don't want them - why should we? I hope I am incorrect - because there are a also a lot of leased vehicles sold at auction, but where's the motivation to take great care of a leased vehicle?

When you own a car, you've put some skin in the game - especially a car like ours.

Last edited by jeffj; 09-14-2007 at 04:21 PM.
Old 09-15-2007, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by jeffj
My humble opinion is that cars that are sold at auction are cars that dealers do not want on their lots - if they don't want them - why should we? I hope I am incorrect - because there are a also a lot of leased vehicles sold at auction, but where's the motivation to take great care of a leased vehicle? ...
Jeff, sorry to disagree, but the times they are a changin'.

I think there is a glut of high end cars and the dealers don't want to hold them. I believe it's going to build for some months, so you might see some well cared for cars at auction - especially in Socal.
Old 09-15-2007, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
Jeff, sorry to disagree, but the times they are a changin'.

I think there is a glut of high end cars and the dealers don't want to hold them. I believe it's going to build for some months, so you might see some well cared for cars at auction - especially in Socal.
Yeah...another early warning sign of a recession is luxury car prices falling fast....hope this isn't a harbinger, but I'm afraid that it is!
Old 09-16-2007, 09:11 AM

'04 CL55 AMG / 72 Blown 340 Duster / Chevy Metro
unfortunately - the evidence on the east coast does not bear that out - perhaps it's different on the west coast, but there's not glut of expensive cars around here and people are rarely negotiating on price --- so typical of california to overheat and then recess.
Old 09-16-2007, 04:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CLS55 AMG
Originally Posted by jjj0923
unfortunately - the evidence on the east coast does not bear that out - perhaps it's different on the west coast, but there's not glut of expensive cars around here and people are rarely negotiating on price --- so typical of california to overheat and then recess.
Well, there are pockets of strength and weakness in both CA and the east coast (the worst in the nation in the third quarter was on the east coast, Elmira, NY, down 18%), so we'll have to see, but economists have moved their collective prediction of a recession from 20% to 30% in the last month. Hopefully the 60% are right, but it is trending negative, particularly if the upcoming round of arm resets on 2 million homes causes an explosion of foreclosures, worsening the already-bad credit crunch, resulting in a big hit to the stock market.

But hey, I'm a cynic. Maybe all of these dominoes will fall the right way, but I'm not banking on it.
Old 09-16-2007, 09:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
SL55AMG, Ferrari 348, Ferrari Testarossa, Ferrari F40, Ferrari Mondial t, Ducati 916, Indycar
One of our clients who we just tuned his '06 CL600, told me he paid $75K and his car was perfect, 8K miles and stickered at $160K.
Old 09-17-2007, 01:21 AM
Banned

wow he should of bought mine WOW

I am selling my 2003 CL600 with 12,700 miles for $49k with the same warranty as he would have left and with $5000 worth of wheels and tires WOW they would have saved $25k and not had to worry about losing more on the depreciation end for a while I am selling my car to cheap I need to put it on ebay where it will be the best deal PERIOD
Old 09-17-2007, 01:26 AM
Banned

all these cars are not getting the respect

That guy bought one for $75k when it was $160 new and mine was also so I ask are these car just overpriced or what? Msrp is a joke on year into ownership of one of these cars
Old 09-17-2007, 01:45 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by IngenereAMG
One of our clients who we just tuned his '06 CL600, told me he paid $75K and his car was perfect, 8K miles and stickered at $160K.

Kudo's to his negotiating skillls - of course all of my performance boating buddies say their boat goes faster than it actually does too.