CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

CL65 Evotech ECU/TCU upgrade experience

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 03:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fast cars in general....
CL65 Evotech ECU/TCU upgrade experience

First of all, I'd like to thank Adam at Evotech for being on top of this and I couldn't be happier with their first class service and the surprising RESULT Finally got the ECU and TCU back from Evotech today and I had them put in as soon as I got home from work. The total installation time only took 5 min. but you must be careful when connecting all the harnesses you have to make sure all connectors are fully pressed in. (ask me how I know ) For a long time I wasn't a believer of ECU mod and I was never convinced by all the big HP/TQ claims from various tuners until now. To get a second opinion, I asked my wifey to go along with me for a ride. First thing I've noticed was the difference in shifting. It is quite noticeable and has nice firm feeling to it. I can actually feel the transmission working up and down. It's no where near aggressive nor abrupt but it gives nice and firm shifting action when driven hard. Now the acceleration part, by the way I had the ESP (traction) off at all time. Car does accelerate quicker through all gears and the speed beyond speed limiter is unreal. When the gas pedal is smashed from the dead stop, obviously there is no traction in all 1st gear and barely hooks up at the end of the 2nd gear (that means the car is barely hooking up when it's moving at approx 60mph!!!) From 30mph roll on and gas pedal being depressed progressively, the car moves forward and then looses traction at around 3000rpm all way to redline and then BAM the second gear (oh yeah, now the car chirps in 2nd gear ) and the car jumps forward and then all you see is the speedometer needle moving like a tachometer. Then we went out on the freeway and floored it from about 60mph. Car down shifts to 2nd, tire breaks loose momentarily and shoots forward then you all see is 80, 100, 120, 140, 160... This thing pulls like a freight train and accelerates insanely like no other cars I've ever driven. My wifey (non car enthusiast) felt the difference in speed and she even said that she felt the dizziness (g-force may be?) when I went all out. After that she didn't stop complaining to slow down . After we came back, I wanted to compare the SOTP feel with my viper so I went out again did the same exact runs on the same roads. FYI, my viper gives wow factor in SOTP feel since it's modified and has shorter gear ratio. But guess what, it's hands down, the CL feels faster and stronger. Both cars pull hard but when the speed passes through 120mph, it's CL time. The way the CL accelerates beyond 120mph is just insane. Sadly my 478whp viper now has no chance with the CL at 120+. Tomorrow night, my friend challenged me to run with his evosport modded M6 so stay tuned
All I can say is what an amazing night!!! and am I glad I did the mods. Surely I would recommend this simple and 'unleash the beast' mod to everyone with 65. Come on, we only live once why not enjoy the true power and speed of 65. Again, thanks to Adam and Erick for an amazing CL65 experience!!!

P.S. all the high speed runs mentioned above were done on closed road in socal
Old 01-30-2008, 05:27 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
CL65
as soon as i get my cL600, evotech will get a call.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Very nice upgrade. All I ask are 2 simple things and that is with a big PLEASE...lol!!

1. Please dyno to see RWHP

2. Please get that M6 run on video...it will be insane.

Congrats man, you have a monster Beast!!!
Old 01-30-2008, 02:12 PM

Fast cars in general....
Originally Posted by MIG-E55Rocket
Very nice upgrade. All I ask are 2 simple things and that is with a big PLEASE...lol!!

1. Please dyno to see RWHP

2. Please get that M6 run on video...it will be insane.

Congrats man, you have a monster Beast!!!
Believe it or not I'm still looking for a right dyno shop. Contacted several places but it seems like everyone is busy or no one is really interested in dyno the car??? Filming the run with M6, I don't know if we can do this since no one will be riding a shotgun in each cars. We will see...
Old 01-30-2008, 06:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by gripforce-cl65
Believe it or not I'm still looking for a right dyno shop. Contacted several places but it seems like everyone is busy or no one is really interested in dyno the car??? Filming the run with M6, I don't know if we can do this since no one will be riding a shotgun in each cars. We will see...
A dyno would be the perfect power tester...IMO.
Old 01-30-2008, 07:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55 ///AMG
Glad to hear the good word on the tune. As a side note, I am jealous that your wife enjoys and even encourages you in this. My wife is exactly the opposite and hates being in a car WOT.
Old 01-30-2008, 09:38 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 CL65
When you do dyno the beast, please make sure it is on a Dynojet, and that the numbers are corrected using the SAE factors. It would've been great to have a baseline dyno before the mods.

Do you find any significant difference below 80 mph? Or just more wheelspin?

Enjoy the newfound torque!
Old 01-31-2008, 09:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
Do they have to actually pull the computer or can they flash load the software upgrade through the OBD port?

Tom
Old 01-31-2008, 04:21 PM

Fast cars in general....
Originally Posted by TMC M5
Do they have to actually pull the computer or can they flash load the software upgrade through the OBD port?

Tom
If you live close by them I'm sure they can do it thru OBD port but mine was removed from the car and mailed in. BTW, removal of the ECU only takes a few min. and no tools needed. Total turn around time only took 4 days.
Old 01-31-2008, 05:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 45 Posts
'14 E63S & '14 Audi SQ5
On my 2002 BMW M5 I installed Powerchip software. What they did was send a briefcase via Fedex with the software preloaded on a laptop. They also sent along the OBD plug. It took about 15 minutes to upload and you would send it back to Powerchips when you were done. A pretty easy process.

I guess I am concerned with physically touching the computer after I heard that some MB dealers are checking to see if the computers are being tampered with for warranty concerns.

Tom
Old 01-31-2008, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2003 E55 & 2014 GL550
The 65 ECU mod has to be the greatest of all time.

Just unlocks hell on earth from that car.

Enjoy!!
Old 01-31-2008, 10:08 PM

Fast cars in general....
I ran against my friend's evosport modded M6 last night. I was driving and recording at the same time so pardon the crappy videos. Albeit the bad traction the CL65 was consistantly pulling M6 until 120 and then M6 takes over. We ran about 6 times and was about to call it a night my friend wanted to see how bone stock 08 corvette (auto) put up against M6 so we went at it. As you can see from the video, the bone stock corvette ran pretty good and we were both surprised how corvette was keeping up with M6 til 120. But my friend did mention that M6 wasn't shifting nor running as hard as with CL because of engine/trans heat soak? It was another fun night but I wish CL65 ran a little harder.

CL65 vs M6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roaAudvRads

M6 vs C6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5nirerUEYk

Last edited by gripforce-cl65; 02-01-2008 at 03:37 AM.
Old 01-31-2008, 11:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
I ran against my friend's evosport modded M6 last night. I was driving and recording at the same time so pardon the crappy videos. Albeit the bad traction the CL65 was consistantly pulling M6 until 120 and then M6 takes over. We ran about 6 times and was about to call it a night but my friend wanted to see how bone stock 08 corvette (auto) put up against M6 so we went at it. As you can see from the video, the bone stock corvette ran pretty good and we were both surprised how corvette was keeping up with M6 til 120. But my friend did mention that M6 wasn't shifting nor running as hard as with CL because of engine/trans heat soak? It was another fun night but I wish CL65 ran a little harder.

CL65 vs M6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roaAudvRads

M6 vs C6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w5nirerUEYk
So it was you? I found this video on you tube surfing today..wow, that M6 is fast or something is not working properly on your car. DO the math, you got close to 680HP at crank and you have the high reving V10 with merely 500 HP pulling on you...just does not add up.

In my E55 I was killing the M's uptop and all I was putting down was 540+ to the rear wheel. You should be putting a bit more, not to mention it's a V12!!!
Old 01-31-2008, 11:56 PM

2005 CL65
What mods does the M6 have?
Old 02-01-2008, 03:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
V12-Biturbo
. But my friend did mention that M6 wasn't shifting nor running as hard as with CL because of engine/trans heat soak? It was another fun night but I wish CL65 ran a little harder.

What a joke!! Heat what??? I'm wondering why your 2008 C6 only got 361 rwhp?? from all reports I've read seen the automatic 08 C6 are putting down 380-385 rwhp, & manual 395-400 rwhp, my 2005 automatic C6 put down 350 rwhp bone stock.

I ran & destroyed a new vert M6 from about 65mph way past 120mph multiple times, although my C6 has 410 rwhp 397 rwto (latest dyno) w/3.90 gearing...

Something is wrong w/your CL65, Your CL65 in stock form should MURDER the M6 @ all speeds, unless he had a 150+ shot of nos

The M6 CRANK torque is a mere 385 @ speed your 65 should be flying by him

Anyhow thanx for the vidz & posting

Last edited by Thericker; 02-01-2008 at 03:25 AM.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:46 AM

2005 CL65
Originally Posted by Thericker
Actually, crank torque really doesn't matter, thanks to 7 closely spaced gear ratios, which make the most of the M6's low torque, high revving motor. In fact, Car and Driver got a 0-150 time of 19.5 seconds, which is very competitive with the taller geared, automatic CL65.

I do agree that a chipped CL65 should be quicker....I wonder how hard the CL was run prior to those vids....heat soak with that big turbocharged engine is a possibility.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
R35 GT-R, EvoX
Gustav...you sneaky b@stard! You don't fool me! I can smell a rat from miles away.

Old 02-01-2008, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by Thericker
What a joke!! Heat what??? I'm wondering why your 2008 C6 only got 361 rwhp?? from all reports I've read seen the automatic 08 C6 are putting down 380-385 rwhp, & manual 395-400 rwhp, my 2005 automatic C6 put down 350 rwhp bone stock.

I ran & destroyed a new vert M6 from about 65mph way past 120mph multiple times, although my C6 has 410 rwhp 397 rwto (latest dyno) w/3.90 gearing...

Something is wrong w/your CL65, Your CL65 in stock form should MURDER the M6 @ all speeds, unless he had a 150+ shot of nos

Anyhow thanx for the vidz & posting
I agree with you on this. Something has got to be wrong. You are telling me the M6 will trap the same as the CL in the quarter and it looks like you guys didn't even run the quarter.

Perfect example is Jay's CL600, his car just kills M6 uptop like if they were standing. Did you see his videos.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by ItalianStallion
Gustav...you sneaky b@stard! You don't fool me! I can smell a rat from miles away.

Very funny...Heheheh
Old 02-01-2008, 11:36 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 JDM
Originally Posted by DoctorV8
What mods does the M6 have?
+1, please list the mods on the M6...

Nice videos!!
Old 02-01-2008, 01:12 PM
Almost a Member!

M6
I dont know the mods on the m6 but since it says evosport m6 I would guess it has at least headers or pulley. Ill let the op chime in though. It really depends on what mods the m6 has if it should pull the cl65. I think the m6 would need to be highly modded. Idk about the heatsoak on the m6 but to whoever posted they think a stock c6 will beat it from a roll...LOL the m6 wasnt even in his powerband at 15mph. The vert is like 400lbs heavier with a worse cd so your comparision really doesnt count. Also the v10 M's just plain arent good from a dig because they are a pain in the *** to launch well, so a c6 from a dig will be very competitive.

Last edited by CJC32; 02-01-2008 at 01:24 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:13 PM

Fast cars in general....
Originally Posted by CJC32
I dont know the mods on the m6 but since it says evosport m6 I would guess it has at least headers or pulley. Ill let the op chime in though. It really depends on what mods the m6 has if it should pull the cl65. I think the m6 would need to be highly modded. Idk about the heatsoak on the m6 but to whoever posted they think a stock c6 will beat it from a roll...LOL the m6 wasnt even in his powerband at 15mph. The vert is like 400lbs heavier with a worse cd so your comparision really doesnt count. Also the v10 M's just plain arent good from a dig because they are a pain in the *** to launch well, so a c6 from a dig will be very competitive.
Ok, here is a list of M6 mods:
Evosport pulley
Evosport ECU upgrade
removed carbon filter
removed pre-cat
and it dynoed 476 at the wheels

Evotech saw the video and they pointed out that mine wasn't pulling all the way because of the empty gas tank. When the tank is empty and ecu detects a less fuel flow engine pulls the timing hence the less power as speed increases. So, we've decided to have 2nd round with M6 or may be perhaps with a stock CLS55 (his other car). We will run again tomorrow night and this time, we will go from about 40mph. Stay tuned

And I finally set up an appointment for the dyno on Tuesday. Only downside is that it is a mustang dyno so the results will be about 10% less than that of the dynojet numbers. what # should I expect from mustang? any ideas?

Last edited by gripforce-cl65; 02-01-2008 at 03:37 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Lotus Elise SLK55
Evosport pulley
Evosport ECU upgrade
removed carbon filter
removed pre-cat

Evotech saw the video and they pointed out that mine wasn't pulling all the way because the empty gas tank. So, we've decided to have 2nd round. May be tonight or tomorrow this time, we will go from about 40mph. Stay tuned
Are you sure you were in the correct gear? Make sure you downshift before starting the race... don't just leave it in automatic, it takes forever to downshift on its own. And you left the traction control off, right? I would put the car in dyno mode. I would also change the air filters.

P.S. As far as the gas, its good to have like 1/4 of gas tank. Try to get the highest octane (unleaded) gas you can find.

Last edited by Addicted2Speed; 02-01-2008 at 03:29 PM.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:30 PM

Fast cars in general....
Originally Posted by Addicted2Speed
Are you sure you were in the correct gear? Make sure you downshift before starting the race... don't just leave it in automatic, it takes forever to downshift on its own. And you left the traction control off, right? I would put the car in dyno mode. I would also change the air filters.

P.S. As far as the gas, its good to have like 1/4 of gas tank. Try to get the highest octane (unleaded) gas you can find.
I left the traction on (with traction off it's almost impossible to launch) and left the tranny in DS mode.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:44 PM

2012 JDM
Evosport pulley
Evosport ECU upgrade
removed carbon filter
removed pre-cat

Evotech saw the video and they pointed out that mine wasn't pulling all the way because of the empty gas tank. When the tank is empty and ecu detects a less fuel flow engine pulls the timing hence the less power as speed increases. So, we've decided to have 2nd round with M6 or may be perhaps with a stock CLS55 (his other car). We will run again tomorrow night and this time, we will go from about 40mph. Stay tuned

And I finally set up an appointment for the dyno on Tuesday. Only downside is that it is a mustang dyno so the results will be about 10% less than that of the dynojet numbers. what # should I expect from mustang? any ideas?
Thanks!!

You MUST run against the M6 again so you can see the difference!!!

Oh get videos too!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: CL65 Evotech ECU/TCU upgrade experience