CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Ordering an 09' CL63

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 10:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
BMW 550i
Ordering an 09' CL63

Hi fellow members,

I'll be dropping by my local dealer and see if I can place an order for an 09' 63. But before that, I would like to hear some opinions and clarify some questions I have with you guys

1) Is it true there are no changes to the 09 models from the 08 ? No MCT...No new comand interface ?

2) Is CF trim still available with P30 ?

3) Lastly, what's the market like right now for these high end models? How much should I try to negotiate for if I am purchasing (% below MSRP or amount above invoice?)?

Any help will be greatly appreciated
Old 04-25-2008, 01:15 AM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Have placed an order for an '09 CL63 030 (and an '09 CL65...haven't yet decided which I prefer)

Am told either is a late June/early July build; not clear if MCT will be incld in '09 CL63s; don't know, if MCT is not incld, whether CL63 will get downshift blips and/or revised iPod/Btooth interface

Have no reason to believe cf will not be available (MBUSA wavers on how to price it...sometimes incld in 030; recently, a colleague got his second CL63 030 where cf was an incremental ?$2K option; my June07-built CL63 030 incld cf at no addtl charge)

Discts prob depend upon region of US and one's relationship w/dealer....my sense is dealers on SF Peninsula/Greenwich/BH have limited need to disct ordered cars like CL63 030/S65/SL63 030 much (if at all)....but rest of US (or even rest of SF/NYC/LA regions) are "different" economies w/less deep, less recession-immune buyer bases, so disct dynamics are prob different
Old 04-25-2008, 02:07 AM

BMW 550i
Thanks WSH for the enlightment !
I am located in LA...but still thinking of a ball figure to offer to my dealer for a fully loaded CL63
Old 04-25-2008, 07:01 PM

2013 SL63
Just fyi. I ordered an 08 CL63 which came in to the dealer last August. Pretty much before most of the economic meltdown. Got about 3 percent on it. Not bad. Frankly, I was prepared to pay full msrp but negotiated pretty hard anyway and it worked out ok.

Seems like pricing should be a little softer now. But who knows.

Mark
Old 05-10-2008, 10:21 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Originally Posted by Microstar
Thanks WSH for the enlightment !
I am located in LA...but still thinking of a ball figure to offer to my dealer for a fully loaded CL63
Would choose a well-reputed, convenient dealer that will prioritize repeat, profitable custs properly in event of any lemon law/warranty/svc issues....

Fast-depreciating/obsoleting $150K+ commuter cars like CL63 030/65 are obviously discretionary...why skimp on a few dollars???

Have several colleagues on SF Peninsula who have wkend houses in BH/Malibu....and seem very pleased w/svc and relationship-oriented approach of MB BH for repeat and/or referral buyers of $150K+ AMGs....

Don't know which part of LA region you're in...but would choose dealer that seems to have a deep base of satisfied, local, high-end buyers....i.e., if one lives/works in NwptCoast or San Marino or Calabasas corridors, obviously not going to choose to fight LA fwy traffic to visit BH for svc issues....
Old 05-11-2008, 11:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 58 Likes on 52 Posts
Protecting the Earth from the Scum of the Universe
Well, pricing seems to be little softer now, but like WSH says, sometimes getting lowest price is not everything in overall picture.
I have got my 2-week old CL600 for $ 1k over dealer's invoice, which I consider a v. good buy. Four other dealers offered me at most 4-5k. under MSRP (after hard negs.).
But I've got unexpected headache, they messed up my front plate.
Logic suggests, that when I've got 3 cars from them within 4 months, CL550, then my wife's ML350 (I know guys, don't beat me too hard , it was her own decision), then CL600 it should count for something. Oh well...
Dealership and the dealer (person) is a crap shoot in my opinion. Even recommendations don't help sometimes, as to him (dealer) you still look like a fresh meat.
And once you develop a relationship (WSH case) both parties have to work on it and not to abuse it in any way. Espacially in such a very high end cars.
Happy and friutful decisions
Mark.

Last edited by Red Marko; 05-11-2008 at 11:15 AM.
Old 05-11-2008, 12:47 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Mercedes Fleet Discount Program

If applicable, don't forget the Mercedes Fleet Program, http://www.mbusa.com/brand/ecp/index.jsp .
Old 05-12-2008, 11:44 AM

2023 Range rover 2022 RAM TRX (bad ass):) - 2023 911 Turbo 2019 Wrangler 2021 E63s Wagon
If I were you I would get a Cl600. just my 02cents. I have had some fun with 63's in my 600. Well, fun for me not the 63.
Old 05-22-2008, 06:19 PM
Almost a Member!

2002 E55
Originally Posted by Microstar
Hi fellow members,

I'll be dropping by my local dealer and see if I can place an order for an 09' 63. But before that, I would like to hear some opinions and clarify some questions I have with you guys

1) Is it true there are no changes to the 09 models from the 08 ? No MCT...No new comand interface ?

2) Is CF trim still available with P30 ?

3) Lastly, what's the market like right now for these high end models? How much should I try to negotiate for if I am purchasing (% below MSRP or amount above invoice?)?

Any help will be greatly appreciated

what is the retail on the car?
Old 05-22-2008, 06:42 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
BMW M850i Gran Coupe
Originally Posted by StevE55
what is the retail on the car?
Base "retail" without any options is about $137,500. Fully optioned is slightly over $150,000, not including gas guzzler tax which I think is about $3000, and then your local state taxes.

The market is obviously soft so getting a fairly good deal shouldn't be too difficult. If you are not uncomfortable buying outside of your "home" market, a few well placed phone calls could get you a very good deal, with substantial savings.

It's a great car and you will not be disappointed. Good luck !
Old 05-23-2008, 02:28 AM

SL
Originally Posted by jimand7
If I were you I would get a Cl600. just my 02cents. I have had some fun with 63's in my 600. Well, fun for me not the 63.

if you are below 55, you should definitely go for cl63 if you don't mind a bit short of power compared to 600... 63 looks so damn better ..
Old 05-23-2008, 01:09 PM

CL600, G500, E-type, Alfa SS
Originally Posted by phonetics
if you are below 55, you should definitely go for cl63 if you don't mind a bit short of power compared to 600... 63 looks so damn better ..
Being a 600 owner and below 55 myself (age, not mph), I'd just like to dispel the notion that the 600 is an old fart's car.

Anyone who imagines that a few AMG bits will transform a CL into a youthful sporting vehicle is deluding themselves. The CL weighs a half ton more than my M6, and the M6 has aptly been called 'autobahn field artillery'. Lithe it is not.

The 63 sounds terrific, but high rpm / low torque engines are an insalubrious match with a heavy platform. They are also challenging and expensive to mod for more power. A 600 is already faster than a 63, but take a half hour to plug in a Renntech ECU and the difference will be downright laughable. I find no discernible difference in handling and the 5-speed is ideal in a heavy car with good torque. I do envy the 63's better brakes, but Renntech can help there too. Isn't higher performance a youthful preference ?

My biggest issue is with the AMG aesthetics. A few scoops and bumps around the lower extremities do nothing for performance. At least the M6 has a functional carbon-fiber roof to distinguish it from a mundane 650. The AMG kit is just plastic and marketing illusion, and IMO it detracts from the clean, elegant lines that characterize the CL's original design.

Big German coupes have a distinguished history going back at least eight decades, and the whole point is substance, elegance, extreme luxury and dominating performance combined. The 600 delivers, as does the 65 at a higher level suitable for Russian oligarchs, but the 63 is unfortunately a marketing concoction of available bits, and ultimately a poseur. If an image of serious performance is what you want, keep it real and get a GT3 or 430.

Nothing personal intended - flame suit is on.

Re pricing, now that the CL is into the middle of its model cycle 600s are essentially being made only to order, so at best you could probably expect 5% off MSRP unless you're picking up a cancellation. The 63s are being pumped out in greater numbers and bigger discounts seem to be available, especially if you can be happy with the quotidian black or silver that dealers pre-order.
Old 05-23-2008, 04:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by ColdWater
Being a 600 owner and below 55 myself (age, not mph), I'd just like to dispel the notion that the 600 is an old fart's car.

Anyone who imagines that a few AMG bits will transform a CL into a youthful sporting vehicle is deluding themselves. The CL weighs a half ton more than my M6, and the M6 has aptly been called 'autobahn field artillery'. Lithe it is not.

The 63 sounds terrific, but high rpm / low torque engines are an insalubrious match with a heavy platform. They are also challenging and expensive to mod for more power. A 600 is already faster than a 63, but take a half hour to plug in a Renntech ECU and the difference will be downright laughable. I find no discernible difference in handling and the 5-speed is ideal in a heavy car with good torque. I do envy the 63's better brakes, but Renntech can help there too. Isn't higher performance a youthful preference ?

My biggest issue is with the AMG aesthetics. A few scoops and bumps around the lower extremities do nothing for performance. At least the M6 has a functional carbon-fiber roof to distinguish it from a mundane 650. The AMG kit is just plastic and marketing illusion, and IMO it detracts from the clean, elegant lines that characterize the CL's original design.

Big German coupes have a distinguished history going back at least eight decades, and the whole point is substance, elegance, extreme luxury and dominating performance combined. The 600 delivers, as does the 65 at a higher level suitable for Russian oligarchs, but the 63 is unfortunately a marketing concoction of available bits, and ultimately a poseur. If an image of serious performance is what you want, keep it real and get a GT3 or 430.

Re pricing, now that the CL is into the middle of its model cycle 600s are essentially being made only to order, so at best you could probably expect 5% off MSRP unless you're picking up a cancellation. The 63s are being pumped out in greater numbers and bigger discounts seem to be available, especially if you can be happy with the quotidian black or silver that dealers pre-order.
After test driving CL63 (full weekend ,600 miles in various conditions) I am forced to agree with the post above.
I really wanted to like that car (thought that it was a more sensible buy then CL65) but now I truly am convinced that 63 is underpowered and would leave me unhappy and wanting more.
Will probably order 65 or Conti Speed....
Old 05-23-2008, 04:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by ColdWater
I like the look of the AMG-kit but I must agree with the essence of the post It was a great disappointment to find the rear diffuser on the "new " SL63 is just for show. The M5 and M6 have a fully functional rear diffuser which is one of the reasons those two cars feel so planted/controllable at high speeds vs their AMG counterparts.
Old 05-28-2008, 11:33 AM

2023 Range rover 2022 RAM TRX (bad ass):) - 2023 911 Turbo 2019 Wrangler 2021 E63s Wagon
[QUOTE=ColdWater;2839796]Being a 600 owner and below 55 myself (age, not mph), I'd just like to dispel the notion that the 600 is an old fart's car.

Re pricing, now that the CL is into the middle of its model cycle 600s are essentially being made only to order, so at best you could probably expect 5% off MSRP unless you're picking up a cancellation. The 63s are being pumped out in greater numbers and bigger discounts seem to be available, especially if you can be happy with the quotidian black or silver that dealers pre-order.[/QUOTE
well said.