CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

2009 CL 65 Production

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-15-2008, 02:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL 65 '09, ML 63 '09. The wife's: 09' SL 63 & S550.
2009 CL 65 Production

Hey Gang!

I know the 09s are in production now, anyone have theirs arrive yet?

I want to know about the stock wheels...are they for sure the 030 wheels? (The correct answer here would be yes as far as I'm concerned!) Or the wimpy wheels the 08s came with??

Thanks!

D.
Old 06-15-2008, 03:43 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Doctor, one of my colleagues is getting first '09 CL65 (?late June build) from our go-to dealer on SF Peninsula; I believe he's having MB air-ship his 65 into CA....but he's already warned our usual salesman that if it lacks 030 wheels and cf interior trim (for whatever reason), he's simply passing on car and will wait for them to build a properly-spec'd 65.....

This young gentleman was among the 4-5 of us repeat 65 buyers at our dealer last Fall who passed on '08 CL65s once we saw those awful, clunky S65 wheels....his first question when I told him that '09 65s are to get 030 wheels and cf interior was: "Did they get rid of the codgerly quilting?"....clearly, he's an irreverent youngster....needs to age a few more decades to appreciate the quilting.....perhaps cataracts and age-related dementia improve the appce of quilting.....
Old 06-15-2008, 06:29 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Just learned '09 CL63 030 won't get downshift blips: IMO, an incredibly disappointing lack of software advances....and ordering better leather for 63s (through this AMG Perf Studio stuff) won't be poss until this Fall (if at all)....

Have decided that getting an '09 CL63 030 w/a plasticky leather interior is more absurd than the 65's quilting nonsense; as much as I enjoy driving my CL63 030, it has some 13K (much, much-enjoyed) mis and is long overdue for trade-in....so told my salesman to try to get me a build spot on an '09 CL65 ASAP....
Old 06-15-2008, 07:26 PM

I can't afford
WSH what do you do for a living if you don't mind me asking.
Old 06-15-2008, 08:15 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 CL65
Satan, hedge funds (most of us began our careers in investment banking M&A/prop trading, often before we were of legal drinking age)....along w/Silicon Valley tech co. founders/venture capitalists, the industries w/lots of young car nuts....
Old 06-15-2008, 10:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by WSH
Satan, hedge funds (most of us began our careers in investment banking M&A/prop trading, often before we were of legal drinking age)....along w/Silicon Valley tech co. founders/venture capitalists, the industries w/lots of young car nuts....
Well, my hat's off to you guys who can make money in this economy. You must know what you are doing. Sometimes I wish I had gone into a money-making career instead of the one I chose. And, maybe not. I am OK with my decision.

If you don't mind, I would like to ask you a question. Didn't you previously own an S63? If so, or if you have any experience with them, I would appreciate your take on a comparison of the S & CL. I am considering one of them for my next car. It would be either a 63 or a 65. Thanks.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by WSH
Doctor, one of my colleagues is getting first '09 CL65 (?late June build) from our go-to dealer on SF Peninsula; I believe he's having MB air-ship his 65 into CA....but he's already warned our usual salesman that if it lacks 030 wheels and cf interior trim (for whatever reason), he's simply passing on car and will wait for them to build a properly-spec'd 65.....

This young gentleman was among the 4-5 of us repeat 65 buyers at our dealer last Fall who passed on '08 CL65s once we saw those awful, clunky S65 wheels....his first question when I told him that '09 65s are to get 030 wheels and cf interior was: "Did they get rid of the codgerly quilting?"....clearly, he's an irreverent youngster....needs to age a few more decades to appreciate the quilting.....perhaps cataracts and age-related dementia improve the appce of quilting.....
YEP, all us codgers can't wait for that 09 quilting, just like grandma used to make! More like Steppenwolf "Magic Carpet Ride" I'd say...my built slot is next Wed so we shall soon see what the wheels/interior turns out to be...But now that I'm 50, gasp!, and have "outgrown" the boy racers, maybe I will really like the diamonds! HA! My bigger problem is the Interstate under flood waters now...talk about hydroplaning!

D.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:38 PM

Originally Posted by WSH
Just learned '09 CL63 030 won't get downshift blips: IMO, an incredibly disappointing lack of software advances....and ordering better leather for 63s (through this AMG Perf Studio stuff) won't be poss until this Fall (if at all)....

Have decided that getting an '09 CL63 030 w/a plasticky leather interior is more absurd than the 65's quilting nonsense; as much as I enjoy driving my CL63 030, it has some 13K (much, much-enjoyed) mis and is long overdue for trade-in....so told my salesman to try to get me a build spot on an '09 CL65 ASAP....
FINALLY! I knew you'd come around sooner or later!
I REALLY don't understand the MBUSA AMG strategy on these cars...you would think they'd want to help you build these expensive toys to your specs, not to have to swallow hard and buy something 150K + with so many compromises and plastic pieces...I nearly walked away from the CL because of that very issue, but finally said screw it and get the Big Dog. But I'm sure the 63 with the upgraded interior AND the downshift blips would have been a great ride.
Old 06-15-2008, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by WSH
AHAH! Now we know! Actually, more power to you, WSH, and we are all glad on the forums that you've had the pleasure and privilege to experience so many awesome vehicles. Your insights have helped many a viewer make a decision or two. I know it's true in my case for sure. Keep those comments coming!

D.
Old 06-16-2008, 09:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by Dr. No
I REALLY don't understand the MBUSA AMG strategy on these cars...you would think they'd want to help you build these expensive toys to your specs, not to have to swallow hard and buy something 150K + with so many compromises and plastic pieces...I nearly walked away from the CL because of that very issue, but finally said screw it and get the Big Dog. But I'm sure the 63 with the upgraded interior AND the downshift blips would have been a great ride.
Walked away from '09 CL65 order.
I can not understand why it is not possible to order a $200k car with a very simple color choice like they have everywhere in the World (including Canada).
Wanted Designo Graphite with either Cognac or Armagnac interior and was told it was impossible in US.
Too bad,will take my business elsewhere.....
Old 06-16-2008, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Dr. No
I can not understand why it is not possible to order a $200k car with a very simple color choice like they have everywhere in the World (including Canada).
Wanted Designo Graphite with either Cognac or Armagnac interior and was told it was impossible in US.
Old 06-16-2008, 11:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by absent
Way to go!
Amazing that they're so short sighted.

Did you try contacting Rob Allan through the MB private lounge?
I'm sure he's prefer not to lose 170k+ in revenue for something so simple.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E55
Originally Posted by DFW01E55
Way to go!

MBUSA does it all the time. GLs ordered in Canada can be equipped with ventilated seats, but not so for US GLs, where we could actually put them to good use. Don't they know that it is hotter in Alabama than in Alberta?
Old 06-16-2008, 12:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 317 Likes on 234 Posts
'19 E63S sedan
Way to go!

MBUSA takes on the role of fashion police because of the unique economics of the American market. MB sells their cars for a lot less here than in Europe, and they depreciate more to boot. And when MB-Financial holds the lease, they have to worry about getting stuck with a highly depreciated asset they can't resell. Therefore they are very conservative about colors, only allowing very neutral combinations into the US market. It's like a realtor repainting an interior off-white -- it won't turn off prospective buyers.

So to avoid getting stuck with a yellow car with red leather, they say "no exceptions" to the standard, inoffensive combinations.

BTW, Graphite is fairly green in most lighting. I love the color, but I think Armagnac or Cognac might clash with the green and become tiring over time. My favorite combination is designo Mocha with Armagnac, so I really like that leather color as well, but with a reddish-brownish paint it works whereas with a greenish metallic it might not so well.

In any case, in a reasonable world you should be able to buy it if you like it, but how would you feel if MB said "okay, but only if you pay cash"? Selling certain cars but refusing to lease them would be a nightmare where MB would not want to go.
Old 06-16-2008, 12:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 M5, '10 Land Cruiser
Originally Posted by whoover
how would you feel if MB said "okay, but only if you pay cash"? Selling certain cars but refusing to lease them would be a nightmare where MB would not want to go.

Works for me. BMW do the same trick with their "Individual" line. I went with Black/Black as I'd heard stories of orders not being fulfilled on "Individual" colors. Full cash buyers should be allowed to order exactly what they want without the nonsense that goes on in the US market. Most annoying.
Old 06-16-2008, 01:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Way to go!

Spoke to his Assistant and stressed that I would not lease ,only straight purchase ,so MB wouldn't have to worry about "resale" value of such "ridiculous and sale proof" color combo.
No go.....
Old 06-16-2008, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
'14 ML BT
Originally Posted by absent
Spoke to his Assistant and stressed that I would not lease ,only straight purchase ,so MB wouldn't have to worry about "resale" value of such "ridiculous and sale proof" color combo.
No go.....
Your response is perfect, spend your money elsewhere.

I understand being the "guardian of the brand" but one offs are a way of life in high end applications like this.

Whatever happened to factory customization?