CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Any way to speed up the upshifts?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 07:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 CL55
Any way to speed up the upshifts?

I think the amg is a great car in many ways, save for the usual ABC and wiring issues, but I'm really disappointed in the speed of upshifts.

The rpm needle climbs pretty fast when you're on the pedal, and the gear engagement, is pretty slow compared to many other less expensive vehicles.

Is there a fix, improvement or adjustment out there to speed up the gearchange? I don't like having to guess when the shift will happen at redline and Sport mode doesn't cut it. I'm wondering if a performance chip fixes this.
Old 10-07-2008, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
Originally Posted by Pronto
I think the amg is a great car in many ways, save for the usual ABC and wiring issues, but I'm really disappointed in the speed of upshifts.

The rpm needle climbs pretty fast when you're on the pedal, and the gear engagement, is pretty slow compared to many other less expensive vehicles.

Is there a fix, improvement or adjustment out there to speed up the gearchange? I don't like having to guess when the shift will happen at redline and Sport mode doesn't cut it. I'm wondering if a performance chip fixes this.
The transmissions in our cars have 3 different modes (idk about your 03 model, but I think its the same). The slowest is C, then S and finally M. I think the upshifts in M take something like .3 seconds, but I may be wrong, especially since I dont know much about your car. But if its the same as my car, you should be ok in M mode.
Old 10-08-2008, 06:28 PM

2003 CL55
I've heard that as well. Maybe something isn't happening that should, because in manual, it sure seems to be much slower. Or maybe it is shifting that quickly, but I'm not feeling it due to smoothness of the transition?? I guess I need to go out and play with it again ..... see what happens.
Old 10-08-2008, 11:04 PM

ML320cdi, F250dsl.
Reset your TCU and see if that helps. Also the trans is adaptive, so if you don't drive is agressively it will shift slowly.
Old 10-09-2008, 02:41 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some toys
.3 is VERY slow...do you mean .03?
Old 10-10-2008, 02:32 AM

2003 CL55
How to reset it?

Originally Posted by Dsmed
Reset your TCU and see if that helps. Also the trans is adaptive, so if you don't drive is agressively it will shift slowly.
I hadn't realized it was adaptive. What do I need to do to reset the TCU?

I'm assuming its the same as an E, where you turn the key on, press the gas pedal, hold it for 5 secs and then turn the key off and wait 2 minutes for it to reset, or is there another procedure for a CL ?

Last edited by Pronto; 10-10-2008 at 03:49 AM.
Old 10-10-2008, 05:21 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2006 E55 BEAST
Same thing... Hope it works.

And I'm actually pretty sure that it's .3 not .03, but it wouldnt be the first time im wrong.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 CL55
Usually I am more concerned with downshift time, so I tried it out last night in "S" mode. Pretty much at the moment I hit the button (or toggle the gear shift) to downshift to a lower gear, I begin noticing the transmission changing. There is no delay. I would say about 0.3 seconds is about right for the time it takes for the process to complete and to be in my new gear. I was practicing 3-2 shifts and 2-1 shifts on a slight incline with only minimal throttle.
Old 10-10-2008, 11:06 PM

2003 CL55
Talking

Back again. Did the reset and it does improve the shifts, but not what I was hoping for. Downshifts before were right there with the button and still are. Upshifts seem firmer and maybe a bit faster, but I guess I'm just used to something with a shift kit, which is pretty much instantaneous. If it upshifted as quickly as it downshifts, I'd be a happy puppy.

Haven't spent a lot of time with redline shifting in this car, so what rpm should it shift with the pedal down in sport auto?

I was up around 6,500 rpm and got a little worried and backed off on the gas to force the shift. Was impressed, however that 3rd gear comes in at those revs at 99 miles an hour! Then I ran out of road......

Oh, and of course that was with safety gear at a race track where this kind of thing is legal heh heh

Last edited by Pronto; 10-10-2008 at 11:11 PM.