CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Electric Exhaust cut outs for the 65!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2009, 04:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Talking Electric Exhaust cut outs for the 65!!

Well I have been contemplating the idea of doing a full 3 inch exhaust...but why spend the money when I could do an Electric cut out system on the beast and keep my good exhaust.. I think there are some good power to be made by relieving some of the back pressure...any thoughts
Old 01-15-2009, 05:29 PM
Banned

1987 Buick GNX,SL65 Black, 1987 Buick Turbo Limited, 2010 GT500
I am down for this mod. Let's find a manufacturer
Old 01-15-2009, 05:39 PM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
i would rather not as the stock setup is calculated for specific backpressure of the exhaust.

removing the backpressure might result in overspinning the turbos and maybe overboosting if the wastegates cant compensate.

i dont know enough about the car, but the setup is complicated and i would rather not play with this.

maybe vadim can comment on it better

alex
few cars
Old 01-15-2009, 05:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by retardedmunk
I am down for this mod. Let's find a manufacturer
Actually you could use the QTP's or DHM cut outs...and just have someone make a 3 inch down pipe something like this...and Viola!

Summit might have them and just bolt on the Electronic cut outs...I think we need 3 inch because our exhaust is 3 inch till it reaches midsection breaks into 2.75

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Hedma...1%7C240%3A1318
Old 01-15-2009, 05:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by alx
i would rather not as the stock setup is calculated for specific backpressure of the exhaust.

removing the backpressure might result in overspinning the turbos and maybe overboosting if the wastegates cant compensate.

i dont know enough about the car, but the setup is complicated and i would rather not play with this.

maybe vadim can comment on it better

alex
few cars
Well I took care of this by talking to a few people before making a decision...according to vadim he said it was a good idea. I also spoke to my tech and said it would be good to relieve backpressure...If i do it I will by doing a before and after dyno and post it.

There are a few V12 owners running around with a 3 inch exhaust and nearly no mufflers almost....they gained a few ponnies.
Old 01-16-2009, 12:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML320cdi, F250dsl.
The only issue with cut out on the V12s is there is no room before the cats. And putting cut outs after the cats will not get you the gains that you are looking for. Unless you relocate the cats further back its not worth it.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by Dsmed
The only issue with cut out on the V12s is there is no room before the cats. And putting cut outs after the cats will not get you the gains that you are looking for. Unless you relocate the cats further back its not worth it.
Hmmm...I see your point I will try maybe some high flow cats, but the idea is to put them after the cats.
Old 01-16-2009, 09:16 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
nah... just gut the cats, run o2 sims behind them so ecu is happy.

change oil before annual emissions test. it will pass unless you are in one of the states that has roller emission test then it is questionable...

running dumps after the cats will mostly defeat the hp purpose methinks unless you go for sound...

the only subjective objection i have is that i have heard open header v12 and it did not sound very nice... the turbos might hush it a bit, but the sound was.. meh..

alex
few cars
Old 01-16-2009, 10:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Your worst nightmare...
Originally Posted by alx
nah... just gut the cats, run o2 sims behind them so ecu is happy.

change oil before annual emissions test. it will pass unless you are in one of the states that has roller emission test then it is questionable...

running dumps after the cats will mostly defeat the hp purpose methinks unless you go for sound...

the only subjective objection i have is that i have heard open header v12 and it did not sound very nice... the turbos might hush it a bit, but the sound was.. meh..

alex
few cars
I will definitely consider gutting them...do you know where I could find simulators? it is tought to trick the ECU...
Old 01-16-2009, 05:58 PM
PLATINUM SPONSOR

Received 62 Likes on 53 Posts
2003 CL55
I would just get the CL65 tune and not hack up your exhaust over small HP gains.. The tune on a 65 is like 100 HP and 200 TQ range! Then look to cooling mods..

At least you only have one set of cats! If you just had to get power from the Exh. then I would look for restrictions in the turbo down-pipe area first.

E63 Biturbo, UPD Cold Air induction kit, UPD performance crank pulley and UPD adjustable rear suspension with ride height adjustment.

CL55 UPD Cold Air Boost kit, UPD 3000 stall converter, UPD 77mm SC clutched pulley and beltwrap kit, Custom long tubes, UPD crank pulley , UPD suspension kit, UPD SC pulley, Aux. HE, Trunk tank w/rule 2000 pump, Mezeire pump, UPD 5pc idler set, Aluminum rotor hats.

www.ultimatepd.com
instagram @ultimate_pd
facebook.com/ultimatepd
Old 01-16-2009, 07:54 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
S600TT, R350
I am looking to do them on my S600 as well.

As far back pressure, ECU has very wide control over wastegates. I do not forsee any problems.

As far as power, IMHO about 5-10RWHP. Stock exhaust is very decent.

As far as sound, I have pulled mufflers off on mine and it does sound mean. Definitely too loud for everyday, but this why cut-outs make the most sense.
Old 01-16-2009, 08:37 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ML320cdi, F250dsl.
Originally Posted by V12Godspeed
I will definitely consider gutting them...do you know where I could find simulators? it is tought to trick the ECU...
Ebay sells the simulators, most tuners shop carry them. Price is between $25-50 each. Or some people have had good luck with O2 extenders, those are $10-15 each. getting rid of that sorry excuse for a H-pipe and installing a reall 3 inch X-pipe would also help.