CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

CL65 Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-23-2011, 12:33 AM
NRL

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
CL65, FJ80, Sportsmobile 4x4, Model X Plaid
Originally Posted by sunpointair
Neal, You know when I first put that diffuser up to my bumper I was really wondering if I could not of even installed it over the existing, black portion that you had us remove. I guess the tape probably won't of stuck as well but, just wondered if that was even a thought ? Ripping that puppy off was a job and the diffuser seemed to cover it up fit pretty well !
How bad was it ripping the stock one off? I'm just getting started.
Old 06-23-2011, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Mercedes
Originally Posted by NRL
Just got mine today. Nice Piece. Professional. Can't wait till I see it on my Blackie.

I'll have pics when it's done. Just got it carefully unwrapped.
Reading Instructions.. Taking a few pics (before it's on).

So that stock piece comes off easy?
You got instructions? I opened mine but nothing. Any tips on there that I need to know that might help?
Old 06-23-2011, 12:20 PM
NRL

Originally Posted by 1badassbenz
You got instructions? I opened mine but nothing. Any tips on there that I need to know that might help?
Instructions were taped to the packaging. I'm unfortunately on step one, remove the stock piece. Still waiting on consensus on removing that stock piece before I man handle it. I'm a DIYer so doing it carefully and will be taking Pics for everyone if nonone has done so yet.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by NRL
Instructions were taped to the packaging. I'm unfortunately on step one, remove the stock piece. Still waiting on consensus on removing that stock piece before I man handle it. I'm a DIYer so doing it carefully and will be taking Pics for everyone if nonone has done so yet.
The stock plastic part is just on my double sided tape. You can peel it right off once you get an end lifted. I do not recall if there are 2 small screws at the bottom holding it on? in any case, the part is VERY easy to take off. Usually you wing up ripping them though since they are so thin.
Old 06-23-2011, 04:05 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
They all came with installation "notes" taped on the diffuser.
Old 06-23-2011, 06:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 CL55
Originally Posted by BlackC230Coupe
The stock plastic part is just on my double sided tape. You can peel it right off once you get an end lifted. I do not recall if there are 2 small screws at the bottom holding it on? in any case, the part is VERY easy to take off. Usually you wing up ripping them though since they are so thin.
There is 2 screws on each side, for a total of 4 screws on the bottom of the existing black cover. The 2 OUTSIDE screw holes was what I used to put my Bolts and locking nuts thru to hold the new diffuser. I really had to pull to get that existing one off the car. It was in pieces by the time I got it off. No way to save it !
Old 06-23-2011, 09:18 PM

Mercedes
Carbon Diffuser Pics !!

Here some pics just got mine done. Great job Neal & Euroteck. Also a Thanks to Pete.......
Attached Thumbnails CL65 Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser-img_5218.jpg   CL65 Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser-img_5219.jpg   CL65 Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser-img_5220.jpg   CL65 Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser-img_5221.jpg   CL65 Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser-img_5216.jpg  

CL65 Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser-img_5217.jpg  
Old 06-24-2011, 04:04 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Here some pics just got mine done. Great job Neal & Euroteck. Also a Thanks to Pete.......
ohhh! sexy!!!!
Old 06-24-2011, 05:09 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
MB; 55KCL AMG, SL550 SLS AMG G500 Cabrio 280SL ML350 CLS550 ML500 E55 AMG CL500 S600 SLK32 AMG
Looks NASTY!
Old 06-24-2011, 12:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
04 CL55 (sold), 2012 CLS550 (sold), 2014 S550 (sold), 2015 ES300H (DAILY)
OMG...that looks SICK!!!

can't wait for mine to come in!!!

Time to update your sig 1blackbenz!!

Last edited by danlnyc; 06-25-2011 at 12:16 PM.
Old 06-24-2011, 11:16 PM
NRL

Originally Posted by NRL
You guys are right, noway but to peel and tear up that stock thin piece that needs to come off.. no turning back. You'll have to buy a new piece if you decide to go back.

Just got it off, now cleaning up the adhesive..

Any second thoughts, recommendation on the two bolt holes to be made?
Old 06-25-2011, 06:47 PM
NRL

Originally Posted by NRL
You guys are right, noway but to peel and tear up that stock thin piece that needs to come off.. no turning back. You'll have to buy a new piece if you decide to go back.

Just got it off, now cleaning up the adhesive..

Any second thoughts, recommendation on the two bolt holes to be made?
All cleaned up. For the holes, I made the hole too inwards. It seems like the best spot the drill the holes would be to align:
for the left side, find where the plastic rivet hole is, drill left of it to start, for the right, drill right of where the right rivet hole is. Follow instructions provided in marking where the hole should be, just keep an eye that the mark is as I said, left, left of existing plastic rivet hole, and right, of right existing plastic rivet hole.

Back to work..

Hopefully my enlongated hole won't effect the fitting. Almost fits, the holes are a b*tch. Maybe getting the washers and bolt in will be just as hard.
Old 06-25-2011, 06:53 PM

Mercedes
Originally Posted by NRL
All cleaned up. For the holes, I made the hole too inwards. It seems like the best spot the drill the holes would be to align:
for the left side, find where the plastic rivet hole is, drill left of it to start, for the right, drill right of where the right rivet hole is. Follow instructions provided in marking where the hole should be, just keep an eye that the mark is as I said, left, left of existing plastic rivet hole, and right, of right existing plastic rivet hole.

Back to work..

Hopefully my enlongated hole won't effect the fitting. Almost fits, the holes are a b*tch. Maybe getting the washers and bolt in will be just as hard.
It was actually pretty easy but as the other member said drop the exhaust brackets thats what I did as well and it was much easier. I also made the holes a bit bigger maybe the size of a 5 cent coin it also made it easier with the bigger hole to adjust side to side to get it nice and even and didn't put much preasure on the studs on the diffuser. Mine came of too and had to re-epoxy but with the bigger holes was much better.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:52 AM

CL55
Thumbs up

That loOks Super Sick
Old 06-27-2011, 06:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
CL 55 AMG Kompressor
For those that haven't fitted their diffuser as yet I offer the following instructions.

1. Things you will need first, socket set, stanley knife, drill and drill bit, clean old cloths, rubbing alcohol, maker pen, 6 cans of cold beer of your choice, someone to help you (3 cans of beer are for them).

2. Raise car height to highest setting.

3. Undo the 2 bolts that hold up each exhaust as suggested by Sunpointer.

4. Use the stanley knife to cut the plastic rivets that are located on the stock black piece around where the exhaust pipes are. Some mention screws, mine were plastic.

5. Its now time to open can of beer, have a drink or 2.

6. Now cut the plastic rivets on the other side.

7. This is thirsty work so better keep hydrated and have another drink.

8. For clarity, the piece to be removed is the unpainted part on the rear bumper.

9. Lift up one corner and rip it off. It may come off in a small piece or a large piece. Doesn't matter how it comes off just keep peeling, when you get to about half way, time for another drink or 3, this part of the removal process makes for very thirsty work.

10. After re-hydrating continue peeling until you get to the end.

11. If not finished, finish that can off now.

12. Double check all the plastic has been removed.

13. Now rub the area down with the cloths and rubbing alcohol.

14. Now sit back and open that second can of beer.

15. Unwrap the diffuser. Jiggle the bolts gently to see if they are loose. If they don't come off you will need to drill a hole on either end of the bumper.

16. Line the diffuser up and get an idea how it will fit. You also will get an idea how your car will now look.

17. You see that the car already starts to look good now and you get excited. Your mate also tells you how good it looks. Time for another drink.

18. Line the diffuser up again. Mark where the bolts touch the bumper. One of you does the marking.

17. Before you drill any holes put your hand behind where you intend to drill to make sure there is no metal plate there. If all OK then start drilling.

18. After one side is done, it is time for another drink.

19. After your drink drill the hole on the other side.

20. Now line up the diffuser and hopefully you drilled the holes in the right spot and they are large enough for the bolts to go through.

21. If the holes are too small or they don't line up put the diffuser down gently take 5 steps back, say Oh Sh***t in unison with your mate, finish your beer off it will make things better.

22. After beer is finished drill larger hole as required, line up diffuser and see now it just fits right and holes you drilled cannot be seen.

23. You now say to your mate that your f***ing brillliant, this is going to look fantastic.

24. Give a final rub of rubbing alcohol to make sure all residue of old glue is off.

25. Sit back and open next can of beer, and have a drink.

26. Now line up the diffuser again, all looks good, now remove the backing tape on the diffuser's double sided tape.

27. Line the diffuser up and gently tighten the nut on each bolt as your diffuser gets closer to the bumper when it is close you both then push the diffuser up so that the double sided tape makes contact with the bumper. Keep the pressure on for a few minutes.

28. Tighten bolts but do not overtighten.

29. Sit back job is done, admire Neal's creation, admire your installation with your mate and finish the beer off.

30. Tidy up, start engine drop ride height back to normal level take car out of garage. Switch engine off, get out of car walk around and admire that rear end.

31. Time for photos. After photos taken, download to computer. Log on to mbworld and post them up.

I hope this helps those that haven't installed their diffuser yet.

I will post my pics as soon as I can.
Old 06-27-2011, 10:41 AM
NRL

Originally Posted by AMG055
For those that haven't fitted their diffuser as yet I offer the following instructions.

1. Things you will need first, socket set, stanley knife, drill and drill bit, clean old cloths, rubbing alcohol, maker pen, 6 cans of cold beer of your choice, someone to help you (3 cans of beer are for them).

4. Use the stanley knife to cut the plastic rivets that are located on the stock black piece around where the exhaust pipes are. Some mention screws, mine were plastic.

8. For clarity, the piece to be removed is the unpainted part on the rear bumper.

9. Lift up one corner and rip it off. It may come off in a small piece or a large piece. Doesn't matter how it comes off just keep peeling, when you get to about half way, time for another drink or 3, this part of the removal process makes for very thirsty work.

15. Unwrap the diffuser. Jiggle the bolts gently to see if they are loose. If they don't come off you will need to drill a hole on either end of the bumper.

16. Line the diffuser up and get an idea how it will fit. You also will get an idea how your car will now look.

17. You see that the car already starts to look good now and you get excited. Your mate also tells you how good it looks. Time for another drink.

18. Line the diffuser up again. Mark where the bolts touch the bumper. One of you does the marking.

17. Before you drill any holes put your hand behind where you intend to drill to make sure there is no metal plate there. If all OK then start drilling.

20. Now line up the diffuser and hopefully you drilled the holes in the right spot and they are large enough for the bolts to go through.

21. If the holes are too small or they don't line up put the diffuser down gently take 5 steps back, say Oh Sh***t in unison with your mate, finish your beer off it will make things better.

22. After beer is finished drill larger hole as required, line up diffuser and see now it just fits right and holes you drilled cannot be seen.

23. You now say to your mate that your f***ing brillliant, this is going to look fantastic.

24. Give a final rub of rubbing alcohol to make sure all residue of old glue is off.

26. Now line up the diffuser again, all looks good, now remove the backing tape on the diffuser's double sided tape.

27. Line the diffuser up and gently tighten the nut on each bolt as your diffuser gets closer to the bumper when it is close you both then push the diffuser up so that the double sided tape makes contact with the bumper. Keep the pressure on for a few minutes.

29. Sit back job is done, admire Neal's creation, admire your installation with your mate and finish the beer off.

30. Tidy up, start engine drop ride height back to normal level take car out of garage. Switch engine off, get out of car walk around and admire that rear end.

31. Time for photos. After photos taken, download to computer. Log on to mbworld and post them up.

I'm on step 25.
It looked so good lined up, I didn't take it off again.
Old 06-27-2011, 01:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

my diffuser finally arrived this morning!! It is an amazing piece of art. Big thumbs up to Neal!!

Thanks for the extra instructions AMG055 I'll post more pictures when I am done installing it.
Attached Thumbnails CL65 Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser-1.jpg   CL65 Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser-2.jpg   CL65 Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser-3.jpg  
Old 06-27-2011, 02:36 PM

2005 cl55 eurocharged flash
at less your guys package came with extra instructions.
Old 06-27-2011, 04:25 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Awesome! glad you all like the part. Now I can sleep at night.
Old 06-27-2011, 06:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by AMG055

I just finished step 12, took me about 4 hours to realize wtf I'm doing LOL.

I'm posting this up while I take a little break. It's HOT outside...

I was a little confused about the steps you posted regarding removing the stock plastic piece but after taking it off, I realized it makes complete sense LOL.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

update: my dad broke one of the bolts while he was messing with it, realizing I would be not be happy, he took it upon himself to glue it back on...

I'll post pics tomorrow after the glue dries.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:34 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by danlnyc
update: my dad broke one of the bolts while he was messing with it, realizing I would be not be happy, he took it upon himself to glue it back on...

I'll post pics tomorrow after the glue dries.
Don't bother, you do not need the bolts. Just use the method sunpointair came up with.
Old 06-27-2011, 08:38 PM
NRL

well, the drilled bolt hole seem fine now. Decided to go for it and unpeel and stick it on.
Got the nut on snug fit without lowering the exhaust. Just wanted to see how it fits.

Question: how much border are you guys leaving between the Diffuser and the bumper. Like no space or like 2-5mm?

I can't get the diffuser sides to close in on the border space while the diffuser center is snug flush (barely 1mm) from top middle of diffuser to bumper..

Should it be snug fit from side to middle to side or should there be like a tiny border space from left to middle to right top of diffuser border.

I'll try to tighten the nut more but afraid to over do it, it's about less then half way now.

I might need to get that 3m Tape and do a redo if its not sorta reusable for once more fitting. Anyone have a good source for that 3m Tape?

Last edited by NRL; 06-27-2011 at 08:45 PM.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:31 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
Originally Posted by NRL
well, the drilled bolt hole seem fine now. Decided to go for it and unpeel and stick it on.
Got the nut on snug fit without lowering the exhaust. Just wanted to see how it fits.

Question: how much border are you guys leaving between the Diffuser and the bumper. Like no space or like 2-5mm?

I can't get the diffuser sides to close in on the border space while the diffuser center is snug flush (barely 1mm) from top middle of diffuser to bumper..

Should it be snug fit from side to middle to side or should there be like a tiny border space from left to middle to right top of diffuser border.

I'll try to tighten the nut more but afraid to over do it, it's about less then half way now.

I might need to get that 3m Tape and do a redo if its not sorta reusable for once more fitting. Anyone have a good source for that 3m Tape?
You mean like the ends are not getting flush with the bumper? tighten the nut on the back until it is snug to tight and does not want to turn anymore, just be very careful. If not, post up a pic of what you mean, and I will try to help. Or maybe others can, since i never got to actually install it. You may to to if anything, drill a hole at the bottom and put a screw up from the exhaust area to close the gap.

About the 3M tape, Napa, Advance Autoparts, Auto Zone and most auto part stores have the 3M tape. Make sure its 3M though.
Old 06-28-2011, 03:49 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Fast Cars!
As many of you already know, we are trying to get the rear spoiler group buy done too. Over half of the people on the list are of course the diffuser buyers! so I wanted to post it here to see if we can finish up that deal too in case some of you did not see that thread. Here is the link

https://mbworld.org/forums/cl55-amg-...ml#post4734821

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: CL65 Carbon Fiber Rear Diffuser