CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Instrument Cluster Installation / Key Warning Chime

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-09-2010, 09:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 S500 4matic, 2004 CL55 AMG, 1986 560SEC
Instrument Cluster Installation / Key Warning Chime

Hello,
I am going through some things on my recently purchased 2004 CL55 to make it more suitable for my needs-
One thing I would like to get rid of is the obnoxious chime that rings for close to a minute whenever I stop and get out of the car (reminding me to take the key).
I have figured out that the chime is contained in the instrument cluster itself so I purchased the little 'keys' from MB in order to remove the cluster.

My questions:

Now that I have the cluster out, it appears that the chime is built into the cluster/circuit board. Short of opening the cluster to physically remove the chime, does anyone know if I can just remove one of the wires going to the cluster to disable it? There is the main plug that powers everything and then there is another connector that stays with the cluster itself (2 wires- Red and White).
Does anyone know what this 2 wire connector is for? Could it happen to be the connector for the chime (wishful thinking but I gotta ask)?
The wiring diagram in the MB Star Service DVD is pretty lame and leaves a lot to be desired.

Also, now that I have the cluster out, it doesn't appear to want to slide back in as easily as it came out-
It almost seems that the dash assembly is a hair to narrow to fit the cluster without some force (which I don't want to do because this cluster is over $1000 if I break something!).
It almost seems like I need to get a shoe horn type tool to help me wedge this cluster back in it's home. Has anyone else run into this?
Again the MB Star Service DVD is of no use here.
Any tips or suggestions on how to get this cluster back in without having to force it?

Any ideas or suggestions on either questions above would be most appreciated.
Thank you!
Elm
Old 03-10-2010, 05:25 PM

Car
I've got no idea about this, but did you try inserting the "little keys" into the cluster and putting it in?
Old 03-11-2010, 07:37 AM

Originally Posted by CarboyS
I've got no idea about this, but did you try inserting the "little keys" into the cluster and putting it in?
Yes, I have tried it both ways but the Star manual indicated to pull the keys out prior to re-installing the cluster.
It really seems that the opening for the cluster is just a bit narrow and that the cluster is an extremely tight fit. Since it's a delicate instrument and it's all just thin plastic, I don't want to break it while trying to shove it back in.
Old 03-11-2010, 09:51 PM

Success!

Well it wasn't a defect with the Keyless go- It's just an obnoxious chime!

I pulled the cluster and opened it up- Sure enough, the 2 prong, white plug that is on the back of the cluster (with the red and white wires) connects the little noise maker. I unplugged the connector and no more chime!

Now I just need to figure out how to slide the cluster back in without causing any damage.
Attached Thumbnails Instrument Cluster Installation / Key Warning Chime-p3110092a.jpg  
Old 03-12-2010, 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E55 then E63, now back to an E55
sorry i do not have the answer to your question.

however i just realized that my e63 has NEVER had this annoying chime (which i remember from other's cars in the past)...

i wonder why.....
Old 06-03-2010, 07:52 AM

2006 CL55 AMG
Did you install your cluster?

EZOBENZ, did you ever get your cluster back into the binnacle? I would also like to kill the chime on my '06 but am reluctant to start to pull apart the dash, this on the strong advice of the maintenance staff at the dealership. Interested to know. Thanks, TSSchap
Old 06-04-2010, 04:46 AM

2005 CL 55 AMG
no chime

I have a 2005 cl55 and don't have a chime. I am 2nd owner. Should I have a chime? Any down side that I don't have a chime?
Old 06-04-2010, 04:30 PM

2006 CL55 AMG
Consider yourself lucky!

CL55AMGRon, The chime is very annoying - reminding you to take your key with you - for about 2 minutes. The chime starts as soon as you turn off the motor and open the door. Problematic if you want to open the door then gather your things before you get out of the car. I wish mine didn't work.