CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

cl fatigue & dynamic engine mounts & torque vectoring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2010, 03:42 PM
ieb

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL63 030 Blk/Blk
cl fatigue & dynamic engine mounts & torque vectoring

I’d like to start a discussion about mec the cl and current state of affairs.

I’m leaving after 4 years and got a 2010 911 turbo.

The cl feels very heavy and it’s not that much fun pushing around 5000 lbs. Don’t get me wrong I absolutely love the car but I will wait for the next version not the 2011 do over. The technology is now dated even with the new engine. The CL should truly be the flagship showing best latest technology.

Porsche as an example now offers the most advanced auto tech. For instance dynamic engine mounts that push the engine side to side and up and down in the direction that you want to go totally defying physics, and torque vector steering that brakes inside wheel and puts power to outside wheels. Just these two things up performance and make the car safer and more enjoyable.

I skipped over the 215 and fell in love with the 216 but what comes next?

Let's talk.

Last edited by ieb; 04-29-2010 at 03:44 PM.
Old 04-29-2010, 07:58 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Test drove latest VWs: remain rather underwhelmed by VW engineering, lack of both tech innovation and execution....PriusTurbo exhaust note; turbo lag; dangerous/non-ergonomic PDK buttons (risk of changing gears accidentally mid-corner, until optional paddles arrived late); lack of AutoBrakeDrying on PCCB (scary wet braking); weak high-speed stability vs bumpy, hilly CA fwys; unknown PDK reliability vs >500lb-ft; ground clearance hassles; ~17gall fuel tank which often doesn't fill fully (commuting hassle); glovebox sized trunk; lack of advanced safety tech like BrakeAssistPlus, mbbrace, smart headlamps, etc; low ride ht so one's head/neck is more vulnerable in any collision vs SUVs, nl cars, etc etc

Suspect SLS will be world's highest-tech, perhaps best-balanced, wkend mtn twisties car (SuperTest NBR time is ~997GT2 caliber)....getting a copy in ?May, so will see how it performs in real-world twisties (and DCT reliability is unknown)

But predict '11 CL65 (which I more eagerly await this Fall) is higher-tech (more advanced DistPlus/BrakeAssist, CrossWindStability, TqVectoring, etc) and more interesting (738lb-ft on fast urban fwys) than SLS for 95+% of daily driving, even in CA...and likely more smooth and reliable in delivery of tq and perf than is SLS

And ironically, in mtn twisties, prefer CL65's highly-engineered 5000lb mass, safety structures/systems and ample crumple zones vs SLS, let alone any VW....oncoming cars occasionally wander into one's lane...and head-on crash is a material risk for anyone who routinely enjoys mtn twisties, no matter how responsible and precise is one's own driving style
Old 04-30-2010, 01:26 PM
ieb

CL63 030 Blk/Blk
WSH i I knew that I could count on you! But the question is, don't you think the current CL is getting a little long in the tooth?

I like cars even bugs.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:38 PM
ieb

CL63 030 Blk/Blk
the new one with proper paddles and a lot of red leather.
Attached Thumbnails cl fatigue & dynamic engine mounts & torque vectoring-me-wednesday-007.jpg   cl fatigue & dynamic engine mounts & torque vectoring-turbo.jpg  
Old 04-30-2010, 01:39 PM
ieb

CL63 030 Blk/Blk
my next one
Attached Thumbnails cl fatigue & dynamic engine mounts & torque vectoring-dinos.jpg  
Old 05-01-2010, 04:27 PM
WSH
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2010 CL65
Am enough of a tech nut to always want latest/greatest, whether in cars or smartphones or computers...and know that risk of innovation is lemons/bugs

Periodically test-drive latest cars from Fiat and VW, etc to see what's out there and how tech is evolving (and have owned many new Fiats/VWs, incl 997TT v1.0 back in '06)

And come away amazed that these mfrs are still ~5-7yrs behind '10 CL65, let alone '11 CL65, in perf/safety/comfort/daily-useability tech (and VW/F are a hell of a lot more lemony/buggy than CLs despite primitive tech)

Suspect SLS' most direct competitor will be '11 CL65; know several guys getting both; most anticipate trading SLS in after a few mths of being annoyed by poor ground clearance, limited headroom, and lack of 65-like tq

What ultimately matters is what car most intrigues one daily (no one "needs" a $200K+ commuter car); for me, despite countless new AMG CLs over past ~10yrs, I still find my latest new CL65 to be most enjoyable, most addictive car to drive daily and on wkends (still spend a few mins every eve admiring its lines/detailing even when it's dirty from CA's winter rains or bug-splattered from a fast fwy blitz)....but to each his own; much like you, I did my "sabbatical" away from AMG a few yrs back and drove various VWs and Fiats to see what the fuss was about, so I feel comfortable in which cars work best vs my driving style and curmudgeonly preferences
Old 05-01-2010, 06:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Smile

Originally Posted by ieb
I’d like to start a discussion about mec the cl and current state of affairs.

I’m leaving after 4 years and got a 2010 911 turbo.

The cl feels very heavy and it’s not that much fun pushing around 5000 lbs. Don’t get me wrong I absolutely love the car but I will wait for the next version not the 2011 do over. The technology is now dated even with the new engine. The CL should truly be the flagship showing best latest technology.

Porsche as an example now offers the most advanced auto tech. For instance dynamic engine mounts that push the engine side to side and up and down in the direction that you want to go totally defying physics, and torque vector steering that brakes inside wheel and puts power to outside wheels. Just these two things up performance and make the car safer and more enjoyable.

I skipped over the 215 and fell in love with the 216 but what comes next?

Let's talk.
Congrats on the new car.
2010 TT is head and shoulders above the previous model and arguably the best sports car(overall) below $200k,bar none(CL63/65 is not a sports car,it's a great luxury coupe for empty nesters,nothing more,nothing less).
The PDK version with paddles is simply mind boggling with it's abilities (and safety,yes,safety!)
Once again,huge congrats and enjoy your excellent new ride.
Old 05-03-2010, 09:38 AM
ieb

CL63 030 Blk/Blk
Absent, thanks. WOW!!! WSH got his panties all in the twisties. Suspect both he and CL need to loose a few lbs.
Attached Thumbnails cl fatigue & dynamic engine mounts & torque vectoring-fat.jpg  

Last edited by ieb; 05-03-2010 at 09:44 AM.
Old 05-03-2010, 08:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 378 Likes on 244 Posts
'22 Alpina B7,'21 G63 Renntech obviously (wife), Wrangler(kids)
Originally Posted by ieb
Absent, thanks. WOW!!! WSH got his panties all in the twisties. Suspect both he and CL need to loose a few lbs.
They always were in the twisties and never came out,hence his bitter attitude....