CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Just drove a S55 AMG 03

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-19-2003, 06:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just drove a S55 AMG 03

I have an e55 on order. Test drove a S55 AMG yesterday. I had high expectations. I thought the car was somewhat fast. It did push me back in my seat a bit, but not as much as I had thought. But I had this question for all those with the 5.5 supercharged engine out there. When I floored it, it pushed me back. Then I let go the gas pedal and the car's accelaration nearly stopped and I was thrown forward. The salesperson said I needed to lightly lift my foot off the pedal so it does lurch that way. I have a GS400 now, and when I lift my foot off the pedal, the car just cruises at that speed.

So my conclusion was, that the car was so fast that going from 500 lbs of torque to 0 caused me to lurch foward. I wanted to know if you guys are able to drive the car smoothly. And, I was also thinking of the Renntech chip upgrade. How does that affect the driving? Is the transmission still smooth?

P.S. After getting back into the GS400, I felt like I was driving at a Toyota Camry speed. You never know how good a car is until you go back down a level.

amgB
Old 04-24-2003, 05:07 PM

E55 AMG
It depends on how fast you were going

The AMG tuned transmission will leave you in whatever gear you are in if you suddenly lift off. So if you had the hammer down and hit say 60 mph, you'd still be in 2nd gear. Then when you suddenly lifted, you would be feeling the effects of 2nd gear braking so to speak. This is considered a feature, as it helps to slow the car down during performance driving.
Old 04-25-2003, 12:27 PM

Thanks

Thanks for your reply. I had read that about the transmission too, but I wasn't sure if that was what it was trying to do. So, if I was driving around town and I floored it, I would need to let off the pedal slowly or else me and my passenger will lunge forward. Sometimes, you just want to floor it until you get to the speed limit of the street, then you take your foot off the gas. But from my test drive, it would seem that I need to take the foot slowly off the gas pedal about 10 miles under the speed limit to make it a smooth ride. Am I right about this?

amgB
Old 04-26-2003, 07:39 PM
Almost a Member!

when you take yer foot off the gas just upshift
Old 04-27-2003, 02:12 AM

When I was driving the S55, it was in automatic mode "D5", not manual. So it is up to the transmission to do the upshifts.

amgB
Old 04-28-2003, 12:33 AM

MB
Eventhough you are in the D position, the car is still in the gear it was accelerating. So, if you went 60mph, it would be on the 2nd gear...

If you upshift it (right toggle), you won't be pushed as bad.

Am I right?
Old 04-28-2003, 02:12 PM
Almost a Member!

BMW E39 M5
Just do not lift your foot from the pedal so abruptly. With all high-performance machines, which S55 certainly pertains to, smoothness is key. Ease off the gas, not lift, and all should be fine.

I occasionally get the same hiccup with my father's BMW 745i, even though it is far less powerful

Another alternative is just to keep your foot planted
Old 04-29-2003, 02:58 AM

Thanks for the suggestion. Will do.
Can't wait.

amgB