CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

06 CL65 problems please help

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 02:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL65
06 CL65 problems please help

Hey all. Having couple problems with the CL65. It's an 06 with 52,400 miles. First is that it keeps fluctuating in engine temperature from 80 degrees up to 95 degrees while driving. The turbos keep coming on and off it feels like it loses massive amounts of power sometimes then when the temp comes back to 80 degrees then it's fast again.

Second is starting problem. I noticed when it's hot and I parked it for a bit then try to start it again it won't start. It'll keep turning over and over again. Finally when it starts it starts misfiring and engine light starts flashing. Then I drive 2 meters then restart it then it's fine 100%.

Please help me. Thanks in advance.
Old 03-18-2011, 04:45 AM

Received 15 Likes on 6 Posts
W221 s65 , w220 s55
might be the crank sensor with the starting problem...when the car cools off it starts so could be the sensor.
Old 03-18-2011, 08:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
IC pump is bad if you're losing power and seeing temp spikes like that.
Old 03-18-2011, 10:51 AM
alx
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 248 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by saintz
does the ic pump turn the engine coolant through the block? i thought this was done by the water pump and broken ic pump would not effect engine coolant temp- only air intake temp.

the crank sensor will manifest itself with sudden engine stall as you are driving and inability to start for few minutes until the cpc cools off.

my guess is coil pack(s)

Last edited by alx; 03-18-2011 at 10:58 AM.
Old 03-18-2011, 11:05 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
GL450
I'm actually not sure where the temp sensor is in the coolant flow, and if it's closer to the IC or the thermostat or where. The IC pump and water pump basically circulate the same coolant, the question is just where.

If you do an OBDII scan (auto parts store will do it for free) you might have a code. Coil packs should throw a misfire code. IC pump won't throw a code, but there might be some type of over-temp code thrown somewhere.

There is a way to test the IC pump, by testing the bleed valve above the IC while the engine is running. If coolant comes out, pump is good. If not, pump is bad. I suppose the water pump could be bad, too, which may have similar symptoms.
Old 03-26-2011, 01:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
Agreed

I'm actually not sure where the temp sensor is in the coolant flow, and if it's closer to the IC or the thermostat or where. The IC pump and water pump basically circulate the same coolant, the question is just where.
The Engine coolant is on a separate circuit than the intercooler coolant. The two coolant systems don't come in contact with each other. This is why the IC system needs it's own pump.

If you do an OBDII scan (auto parts store will do it for free) you might have a code. Coil packs should throw a misfire code. IC pump won't throw a code, but there might be some type of over-temp code thrown somewhere.
Correct, the IC pump won't throw a code unless it's not functioning. If it's merely failing, then no code.

Also, OP might want to check intercooler coolant level. If it's never been flushed, it wouldn't hurt to flush it as well.

There is a way to test the IC pump, by testing the bleed valve above the IC while the engine is running. If coolant comes out, pump is good. If not, pump is bad. I suppose the water pump could be bad, too, which may have similar symptoms.
Problem is, when you test it that way, you're actually introducing air into the system via the back cap. The easiest way to test and see if the IC pump is running is to make a simple jumper wire, take out the IC pump relay and use the jumper wire to jump the pump. As the engine doesn't need to be running for this jumper test, you should be able to easily hear the pump. If all else fails, with the engine running, touch the IC pump and feel if it is vibrating. Just don't get your fingers caught in the accessory belt. It may smart.

Here are some jumper pics for you: Test the pump with key in RUN position (do no turn to start).

Old 03-26-2011, 01:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Your worst nightmare...
Sounds like you have a bad Coil pack. Misfires in these cars are common. Mines used to misfire, I would turn the key over and restart it and it would be fine until I started to get on it again.