CL55 AMG, CL65 AMG, CL63 AMG (C215, C216) 2000 - 2014 (Two Generations)

Super Charger Pulley Removal

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 02:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
03' CL55 AMG
Super Charger Pulley Removal

Does anyone know of a shop in the Los Angeles area that will remove the Super Charger pulley? i need to replace the bearing pack which i already have but i can't seem to find a strap wrench that will work on the pulley and the independent shops i have contacted all tell me that they need to cherry pick the engine and use an airgun to break the bolt but a few members i have talked to say it can be done with a strap wrench, breaker bar and torch which coincides with what i read in this thread - http://www.benzworld.org/forums/w211...lley-sl55.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-01-2011, 07:27 PM

His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
What's so special about this strap wrench? I'm not being sarcastic, merely confused. It's a strap wrench. Just about any auto parts store will carry an assortment of sizes of the damned things.
Old 04-05-2011, 07:42 PM

03' CL55 AMG
After posting this i bought another strap wrench with a rubber strap and aluminum handle

The problem with the first one i bought was that it had a nylon strap and did not grip the smooth surface of the spindle behind the pulley which moves with the bolt, then i bought one that had a grippy rubber strap but it had a fiber glass handle which snapped

Even with the grippy alunimun handled strap wrench and a long *** breaker bar i was not able to break the nut, i practically jumped on the damn thing and it wouldn't budge

I am awaiting a quote from Platinum Autosport in LA for removing the Pulley since none of the indy shops will touch it
Old 04-05-2011, 08:21 PM

SRT-6
I used a strap wrench from Sears. Plastic handle and nice thick rubber strap. No problem. The bolt is torqued to ..... can't remember but it wasn't much, 15 ft. lbs. or so. If it won't come off cold warm up the car a bit and that should do the trick.

Les
Old 04-06-2011, 01:37 AM

03' CL55 AMG
Originally Posted by Velociabstract
I used a strap wrench from Sears. Plastic handle and nice thick rubber strap. No problem. The bolt is torqued to ..... can't remember but it wasn't much, 15 ft. lbs. or so. If it won't come off cold warm up the car a bit and that should do the trick.

Les
Thanks, i'll give it another go this weekend i guess

Quick question, once i heat the bolt to melt the lictite does it stay melted or do i have to heat every time i go to try to break it loose?

I already heated it once last weekend, would i have to do it again this weekend?

Thanks in advance
Old 04-06-2011, 02:42 AM

His mama. Traded y0 mama in because she was squeaking.
Yes. You will need to re-heat it.
Old 08-26-2011, 12:31 AM

03' CL55 AMG
I am going to give this a try again this weekend, anyone know what temp the bolt needs to be heated to for the loctite to melt?

Thanks in advance!
Old 08-30-2011, 05:37 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
07 RS4 sold, R53 Cooper S, 2008 Cayman S, 2012 GTR
Originally Posted by CharlestonN
I am going to give this a try again this weekend, anyone know what temp the bolt needs to be heated to for the loctite to melt?

Thanks in advance!
We honestly just hit it with an impact... I know we are a drive, but we can do this job for you for $250.

Good luck this weekend.